Introducing the WiFi Pineapple NANO

Darren Kitchen

Thanks for the clarification Seb.

I understand the HTS issue and also understand that it's not exactly a Pineapple issue,

Here's why I will buy one:

Future infusion new will be made for Nano.

Eventually there will be more support for it as well. I assume this will take time so patience will be a plus.

I'm really not too interested in selling my MKV. Perhaps we could Tango the MKV and Nano.... Who knows...

Placing my order tonight.

Thanks guys.

5G is an important factor in our 6th generation WiFi Pineapple strategy.

Thus far the WiFi Pineapple has been solely a 2.4G device. While this is sufficient for the vast majority of applications, there are cases where 5G is desired. Unfortunately 5G chipsets are complicated, large, power hungry, hot, lacking support, expensive, and take a fortune in time and money to certify.

That being said, we are sufficiently down the production pipeline to confidently say that if all goes according to plan, we'll have a dual band solution available in the near future. I can't guarantee that it will be similar in cost or as small in formfactor as the NANO - but I believe the opportunities that a 5G WiFi Pineapple afford outweigh either of those hurdles.

For now, the WiFi Pineapple NANO aims to deliver on our core mission of providing simple, affordable, expandable wireless auditing platforms. With the next generation web interface and new API we're confident that when the time comes to deliver a 5G solution, we'll have a robust firmware and module ecosystem to take full advantage of its hardware features.

Any idea how near in the future a 5G solution will be available? I'd rather save my money and buy a 5G capable Pineapple over the Nano but if it won't be available for a year or more I may reconsider.

With HSTS not really sure how you are going to get around it. If it is in the Preload list or have visited the site before the broswer will refuse to connect to anything but HTTPS. Then you have to hope the user will just click yes on the cert warning dialog.

Any idea how near in the future a 5G solution will be available? I'd rather save my money and buy a 5G capable Pineapple over the Nano but if it won't be available for a year or more I may reconsider.

The 5G solution has been in the works for quite some time and I think I speak for Seb and I when I say, man this stuff ain't easy. I guess if it were there'd be dual band APs littering the streets. Those gripes aside, I'm excited to say in the last few days some major milestones were made which'll bring the dual band WiFi Pineapples to us way ahead of schedule. Having boots on the ground at the factory saved a ton of time....timezones on the other hand aren't friendly to developers. Ask Seb if he remembers what sleep feels like :wink:

Hardware wise we're at the stage where we're just waiting on the final stamp but everything has passed in testing (after some rigorous tuning). The RF on this thing is insane. It'll be a completely different animal from the NANO though. Form factor, cost, etc but we're building 'em both on the same base platform. Porting wise we're in the early alpha stages. Stuff builds, but we still have some ways to go. Think Return of the Jedi Death Star, not A New Hope... (Empire Strikes Back FTW)

If all goes well we may have a very limited number of developer units (whatever fits in a suitcase) here before the new year.

• Upvote 5

Awesome news! I think people really need to keep in mind that these devices are $100. $100. Most of us probably spend 2x more on our home routers.

Keep doing what you're doing, and thank you in advance.

• Upvote 2

Darren, thanks for the info and transparency about Hak5's plans for future fruit. I truly appreciate the whole team's hard work to produce great products. You guys give me the tools that inspire me to better my skills as a developer. I will keep my eye out for the 5G capable Pineapple and plan on buying one the instant it is released.

@cheeto, thanks for the kind words. Once I get one I will start working on porting my infusions and hopefully I'll be inspired to write some new tools.

• Upvote 1

I ordered mine today. And it shipped already. I have a MK5 already but wanted this one for the smaller form factor.

It shipped already and I will fess up and say I got absolutely killed on the dollar conversion. Canadian dollar is at 69 cents right now.

So my tactical nano is costing $256.75 with shipping.

Is it worth it? Likely will be. I get a chance to learn something new from the start. I messed with my MK5 but didn't see the success some people had.

It'll be fun and its only money.

• Upvote 1

To me it seems that the 5 is like a gaming laptop, and the 6 is a netbook. Less ports, smaller, designed to be ultra portable. On the analogy performance is not supposed to be looked at, as the internal specs looks to be the same, radios aside.

The android part is nice, but functionally speaking that just seems like a new update/interface method. Like an android plug and play feature, for lack of better terms. From what I've now read from thees forums, it just looks like a new operating system.
The loss of the dip switches is like not being able to select boot mode on a computer.
I like the usb being an ethernet adapter. But just like how netbooks dont have disk drives, the mk6 doesnt have an ethernet jack. If I want the pineapple to become part of a wired network, ill have to use an adapter to bridge the 2. Also since the usb is the power source this time, if I want to "wired" connection to a computer, as soon as I disconnect it, pineapple is off. I cannot plug an ethernet in from a computer, do whatever, then just unplug the ethernet and the pineapple is still doing whatever I told it to do.
I just got my mk5 at defcon 23 last summer, and due to school have not played with it as much as I would like to have. So maybe all this is just off due to lack of experience right now. But to me, the mk6 seems like the wifi pineapple "lite" edition designed for war-walking.

Thanks for the kind words guys -- they keep us going. We know we're never going to please all of the people all of the time but we're very passionate about what we're doing and think that if it's something that we'd want in our pentest arsenal, it's something you'd like too.

I knew going into the NANO that the lack of Ethernet would be a point of contention, but in user testing we found that 1. newer laptops are lacking Ethernet all together (good in the sense that everyone is using WiFi, bad for us uber geeks who know better) and 2. the cable mess between a USB DC Barrel, retractable Ethernet and often times USB Ethernet adapter are cumbersome. I feel the form factor is pretty slick and don't detract from the usage for 99% of cases. Run a NANO in the tactical case with an Android and Nethunter and you'll see what I mean :). For those that need more power -- something with Ethernet and 5 Ghz to leave plugged in at the client site -- I feel we have the right solution coming.

Mostly it's just awesome to be a part of such a supportive community - so thank you!

PS: Made some setup videos that I'll post here since I know the thread is getting a lot of action and people will start receiving their packages today.

• Upvote 4

Sorry to double post but I just reviewed the video and forgot to mention there's a new WiFi Pineapple connection script for Linux -- wp6.sh

https://www.wifipineapple.com/wp6.sh

This version supports 4th - 6th generation WiFi Pineapples. The major change is that it'll save your network configuration back to the script itself (portable, no need for a config file) so that in subsequent runs of the script you can just breeze through by pressing enter at the first prompt. You can see an example in the above Linux setup video. Eventually I'd like to add auto detection capabilities based on IP addresses and default gateway. If you have any feature requests just let us know. Cheers!

• Upvote 3

k so let me first say congratulations on the next pineapple, I have mine ordered.

I don't mean to be a downer but I am terribly concerned it's going to be another let down for me on account of my mark V dying 45 days after purchase and now that it's being discontinued I can't help but wonder if there isn't more to it's being abandoned than just the chipset sourcing?

I'm honestly concerned about quality control and that this evaluation nano will also fail soon after the return period, i do understand it's a work in progress and I admire what you're doing I can't even imagine the hurdles you deal with bringing these products to market but why didn't you simply replace the chipset and continue perfecting the mark V why start from the ground up with a new product, is the quality of the nano going to be better than the mark v?

What I can say about my thus far brief encounters with the Nano (it's christmas and I'm going mental trying to get everything ready so I can go and record BSidesHH) is that, relative to the Mark V, it runs considerably less hot. Whatever they did to achieve this, it's very much paying off. Didn't find an easy way to open up the device, though...

• Upvote 1

k so let me first say congratulations on the next pineapple, I have mine ordered.

I don't mean to be a downer but I am terribly concerned it's going to be another let down for me on account of my mark V dying 45 days after purchase and now that it's being discontinued I can't help but wonder if there isn't more to it's being abandoned than just the chipset sourcing?

I'm honestly concerned about quality control and that this evaluation nano will also fail soon after the return period, i do understand it's a work in progress and I admire what you're doing I can't even imagine the hurdles you deal with bringing these products to market but why didn't you simply replace the chipset and continue perfecting the mark V why start from the ground up with a new product, is the quality of the nano going to be better than the mark v?

leathalinjexion, first let me personally say I'm sorry we let you down. Your WiFi Pineapple was still under warranty at that time and we work very hard to make the customer experience as best as possible. We have a very limited number of Mark Vs so you're welcome to contact shop@hak5.org and we'll see what we can do about getting the unit swapped after the holiday break.

Quality control wise, I feel strongly about your sentiments. We learned a lot about the Mark V once we performed proper failure analysis with our manufacturing partner, and that was a new experience for us since we weren't used to that with the Mark IVs made by ALFA. Using the knowledge we gain from failure analysis we made changes to both the PCB (v1.3 to v1.4) and to the box - moving from a cardboard stabilizer to foam.

We did attempt a 1.5 rev of the Mark V in anticipation of the RTL8187 discontinuation, however the prototype brought forth its own unique set of issues. Rather than continue down that road we decided to take things to the next level and build a whole new WiFi Pineapple line based on the feedback we had received, user testing, and some amazing new ideas that I can't wait to come to fruition.

TnaCurB.jpg

MK5 with alternate 2nd radio

Going into Gen 6 we very much had these lessons in mind. We've been meticulous in design and testing - which is one of the reasons why the process has taken so long. We went back to ALFA for the NANO, as you can see with the 00:C0:CA OUI. Our forthcoming 5G solution is being manufactured by our partner who engineered the Mark V, and as such we've been especially careful in testing. The result on both fronts is nothing short of amazing in terms of RF performance. I'm proud of what we're making - we're doing something really unique here and I stand behind the WiFi Pineapple as much as you all stand for the community.

• Upvote 4

Darren, thank you for that walk through on the qa process and updates you've made, it makes me feel much better about the nano, I had contacted support at the time and basically got a canned response about the return period. it was from the first release batch which was quite some time ago, I don't expect a replacement this late in the game but I appreciate the offer, that's encouraging as well.

• Upvote 1

Seems really cool. Like a wifi version of the LAN Turtle. The direction makes sense, especially with the discontinuation of the rtl used in the mk5. If you were going to have to do something different anyway, why not this. I'd love to give it a try. Probably wait a bit though until the community starts developing for it. Very excited to give a try.

Darren, thank you for that walk through on the qa process and updates you've made, it makes me feel much better about the nano, I had contacted support at the time and basically got a canned response about the return period. it was from the first release batch which was quite some time ago, I don't expect a replacement this late in the game but I appreciate the offer, that's encouraging as well.

Thanks for understanding. We were caught off guard with the first batch at release since it was so new and different. Took us a bit to get it all smoothed out and it's these lessons we're carrying forward into the next gen. Offer stands. Thanks for sharing!

• Upvote 2

Hi,

Any chance on documentation on how to use this thing?

Just got mine in the mail today...very excited but lost as to "what to do and how to do it".

It was the developers kit, and quite impressed.

Would love to learn the full power of this machine.

Thanks

This is subject to change as the project moves forward. Updates will be pushed to the system Help module. Here's 1.0 :smile:

Dashboard

The dashboard provides an at-a-glance view of the WiFi Pineapple status, landing page browser stats, notifications and bulletins.

Landing Page Browser Stats will display hits from popular web browsers when the Landing Page is enabled from Configuration. Notifications will display notifications from modules. The Bulletins feature fetches the latest project information from wifipineapple.com.

Recon

Unlike traditional War Driving, whereby the auditor passively listens for beacons being advertised by Access Points to paint a picture of the surrounding WiFi landscape, the WiFi Pineapple Recon goes one giant step further.

By monitoring channels for both beacons and data activity, Recon paints a more complete picture by combining Access Points with their respective clients. With the WiFi landscape displayed in this manner, a tester can quickly identify potential targets from Recon and immediately take action.

Recon allows the auditor to scan for nearby Access Points, or Access Points and their respective Clients. Clients are identified by sniffing for active traffic and are displayed underneath their parent Access Point. If a Client is associated to an Access Point but idle, it may not appear in the list. Increasing scan duration from the drop-down allows the sniffer to see more potential traffic on each channel.

The SSID, MAC, Security, Channel and Signal of Access Points are displayed in the table view. Clients are listed as MAC addresses only.

Clicking the menu button next to an MAC address shows a menu providing buttons to add or remove the MAC from the PineAP Filter or PineAP Tracking feature. Deauth uses the multiplier to send multiple deauthentication frames to the target Client. A multiplier of 2 is twice as many deauthentication frames as a multiplier of 1.

Clicking the menu button next to an SSID shows a menu providing buttons to add or remove the SSID from the PineAP Pool or PineAP Filter. Deauth Client will send deauthentication frames to all associated clients currently recognized by Recon using the multiplier. A multiplier of 2 is twice as many deauthentication frames as a multiplier of 1.

Unassociated Clients show in a unique table listed by MAC Address. These Clients have active radios, however are not associated to an Access Point.

Out Of Range Clients will display in a unique table along with their relationship to their parent Access Point by MAC address only.

Checking the Continuous box will enable an ongoing scan. The tables will update the the latest information the the scan duration interval until the scan is stopped.

Clients

The WiFi Pineapple will allow clients to connect if Allow Associations is checked in PineAP. Connected clients will list in the Clients view along with their respective MAC Address, IP Address, the SSID to which they have connected (if Log Probes is enabled in PineAP) and Hostname. If the SSID or Hostname is unavailable it will display as such.

The Kick button allows the auditor to remove a client from the WiFi Pineapple network.

Clicking the menu button next to an MAC address shows a menu providing buttons to add or remove the MAC from the PineAP Filter or PineAP Tracking feature.

Clicking the menu button next to an SSID shows a menu providing buttons to add or remove the SSID from the PineAP Pool or PineAP Filter.

The Clients table can be updated by clicking the Refresh button.

Filters

Filtering may be performed by Client MAC Address or SSID. Both Deny and Allow modes are supported and this option may be toggled using the switch button.

Client Filtering

In Deny Mode, Clients with MAC Addresses listed in the Client Filter will not be able to connect to the WiFi Pineapple. In Allow Mode, only Clients with MAC Addresses listed in the Client Filter will be able to connect. When performing an audit, it is best to use Allow Mode to ensure that only clients within the scope of engagement are targeted.

Client MAC Addresses and SSIDs may be added from menu buttons associated with their respective listings in Recon or Client views.

SSID Filtering

In Deny Mode, clients will not be able to associate with the WiFi Pineapple if they are attempting to connect to an SSID listed in the filter. In Allow Mode, clients will only be able to associate with the WiFi Pineapple if the SSID they are attempting to connect to is listed in the filter.

SSIDs may be added to the filter from the menu buttons associated with their respective listings in Recon.

Managing Filters

Filtered Clients and SSIDs will display in the lists. Client MAC addresses and SSIDs may be added to the list manually by using the text input field and Add button. Clicking a Client MAC or SSID will populate the text input field and clicking Remove will remove the entry from the Filter list.

PineAP

PineAP is an effective, modular rogue access point suite designed to aid the WiFi auditor in collecting clients by thoroughly mimicking Preferred Networks.

Allow Associations - when enabled, Client devices will be allowed to associate with the WiFi Pineapple through any requested SSID. E.g. If a Client device sends a Probe Request for SSID "example" the WiFi Pineapple will acknowledge the request, respond and allow the Client device to associate and connect to the WiFi Pineapple network. This feature works in conjunction with Client and SSID filtering. When disabled, clients will not be allowed to associate. Formerly named Karma.

Log Probes - when enabled, Client device Probe Requests will be logged. This feature provides information for analysis from the Logging view.

Log Associations - when enabled, Client Associations to the WiFi Pineapple will be logged. This feature provides information for analysis from the Logging view. If disabled, Associations will not be logged and may not appear in the SSID column from the Clients view.

PineAP Daemon - This daemon must be enabled in order to use the Beacon Response, Capture SSIDs to Pool and Broadcast SSID pool features. The PineAP Daemon will coordinate the appropriate actions based on Source and Target MAC settings as well as the Beacon Response and SSID Broadcast intervals. This feature requires access to wlan1 and cannot be used in conjunction with WiFi Client Mode if wlan1 is used. PineAP Daemon must be enabled and PineAP Settings must be saved before the associated features will be available.

Beacon Response - when enabled, targeted beacons will be transmitted to Client devices in response to a Probe Request with the appropriate SSID. These beacons will not be transmitted to broadcast, but rather specifically to the device making the probe request. This prevents the beacon from being visible to other devices. If Allow Associations is enabled and the Client device associates with the WiFi Pineapple, then targeted Beacon Responses will continue to transmit to the Client device for a period of time. Beacon Responses will use the Source MAC setting, which is also shared with the Broadcast SSID Pool feature.The Beacon Response Interval will dictate how frequently to transmit.

Capture SSIDs to Pool - when enabled, the sniffer will save the SSID data of captured Probe Requests to the SSID Pool. This passive feature benefits the Broadcast SSID Pool feature. The SSID Pool may also be managed manually.

Broadcast SSID Pool - when enabled, the SSID Pool will be broadcast as beacons using the Source MAC and Target MAC settings at the interval specified. Formerly named Dogma.

Source MAC - by default, this is the MAC address of wlan0 on the WiFi Pineapple. This is the interface for which associations may be allowed and also hosts the Management Access Point. The MAC address of wlan0 may be changed from the Networking view. This MAC address may be set to that of a secondary WiFi Pineapple if desired.

Target MAC - by default, this is the broadcast MAC address FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. Frames transmitted to broadcast will be seen by all nearby Client devices. Setting the Client MAC address will target PineAP features at the single device. Similar to Beacon Response, only SSIDs Broadcast from the Pool will be visible to the targeted Client device. When used in conjunction with Filtering, this feature enables precision device targeting.

Broadcast SSID Pool Interval - Specifies the Interval in which to Broadcast SSIDs from the Pool. Aggressive requires more CPU usage while Lower requires less.

Beacon Response Interval - Specifies the Interval in which to transmit Beacon Responses. Aggressive requires more CPU usage while Lower requires less.

Save as Default on Boot - From the Configuration menu, Saving as the Default on Boot will remember the saved PineAP features and settings for use on next boot.

SSID Pool - populated automatically when the Capture SSID Pool feature is enabled. May also be added to manually using the text field and Add button. Similarly, clicking a listed SSID will populate the text field allowing for the removal of the entry using the Remove button. From the SSID Pool Menu, Clear SSID Pool will remove all entries.

Tracking

The tracking feature will continuously scan for specified Clients by MAC address and execute a customizable Tracking Script. This feature requires the Log Probes and/or Log Associations features of PineAP to be enabled.

Clients may be specified manually using the text field and add button. Clients may also be added to the Client Tracking List by using the PineAP Tracking Add MAC button from an associated MAC address within the Clients view or Recon view. Selecting a MAC address from the Client Tracking List will populate the text field for removal using the Remove button.

When a client is identified by a logged Probe or Association, the customizable Tracking Script will execute. The Tracking Script defines variables for the Client MAC address, the identification type (Probe or Association) and the SSID with which the Client is Probing or Associating.

Logging

The Logging view displays the PineAP Log, System Log, Dmesg and Reporting Log.

PineAP Log - chronologically displays PineAP events if Log Probes and/or Log Associations are enabled. Each event contains a timestamp, event type (Probe Request or Association), the MAC address of the Client device, and the SSID for which the device is Probing or Associating.

PineAP Log Filtering

The Display Probes and Display Associations checkboxes enable the auditor to toggle the display of Probes or Associations. The Remove Duplicates checkbox will remove any duplicate entry, regardless of timestamp. For example, if a Client transmits a Probe Request for SSID "example" 10 times in 1 hour, checking the Remove Duplicates box will show only the first entry.

Filtering by MAC address and SSID is supported by completing the associated text fields. For example, if de:ad:be:ef:c0:fe is input in the MAC text field, only that Client device activity will show in the PineAP Log. Similarly the Log may be filtered by SSID.

Filters do not apply until the Apply Filter button is pressed. Clear Filter will reset to the default and display all captured data. Refresh Log will obtain the latest log data from PineAP and Clear Log will empty the Log File. By default the comma tab delimited PineAP log is located in /tmp and will not be saved after a reboot.

Reporting

This feature enables the auditor to generate reports at a specified interval. The report may be sent via email and/or saved locally on a suitable SD card. See the Format SD Card option from the USB menu on the Advanced view to setup a new card. Email Configuration must be complete in order for the Send Report via email function to operate successfully.

The Report Contents may contain: the PineAP Log with an option to clear after generating the report, a PineAP Site Survey similar to the Recon View with option to specify AP & Client scan duration, and PineAP Probing and Tracked Clients.

Networking

From the Networking view, the auditor may make changes to the Routing, Access Point, MAC Addresses, Hostname and connect to an Access Point using WiFi Client Mode.

Route - the Kernel IP routing table is displayed and may be modified for the selected interface. The Route menu enables the auditor to Restart DNS. By default the expected Default Gateway is 172.16.42.42. When using the WiFi Pineapple Connector Android app, IP routing will automatically update to use usb0 as the default gateway.

Access Point - The WiFi Pineapple primary open access point and management access point may be configured. Both the open and management access point share the same channel. The open access point may be hidden and the management access point may be disabled.

WiFi Client Mode - this feature enables the auditor to connect the WiFi Pineapple to another wireless access point for Internet or local network access. When using WiFi Client Mode, the IP routing will automatically update to use the selected interface. The WiFi Pineapple can be used with a number of supported USB WiFi adapters to add a third (wlan2) interface. wlan0 is reserved for use by the Access Point and wlan1 is required by PineAP and cannot be used if the PineAP Daemon and its subsequent features are being used.

To connect to a nearby Access Point, select the desired Interface and click Scan. From the Access Point list, choose the desired network, enter the Passphrase (if required) and click Connect. Once connected the WiFi Pineapple IP address will display and the Default Route will update to that of the newly connected network. Click Disconnect to end the connection.

MAC Address - The Current MAC address for the selected interface will display. A New MAC address may be specified manually, or set randomly using the New MAC text field and Set New MAC or Set Random MAC buttons. MAC Addresses may be reset to default from the MAC Address menu button. Changing MAC addresses may disconnect connected clients from the WiFi Pineapple.

Advanced - The Hostname may be updated using the hostname text field and Update Hostname button. Wireless configuration may be reset using the Reset WiFi Config to Defaults option from the Advanced menu button. The output of ifconfig is displayed.

Configuration

The Configuration view provides the auditor with means to set general settings and modify the landing page.

General - Timezone settings is displayed and may be manually selected. The system password may be set. The WiFi Pineapple may be rebooted or reset to factory defaults from the General menu button.

Landing Page - when enabled, this feature will act as a captive portal. New clients connecting to the WiFi Pineapple will be forwarded to this landing page. Some client devices will automatically launch a browser to this page upon connection. Landing page browser stats will display on the dashboard. PHP and HTML are accepted. The Landing Page may only display if the WiFi Pineapple has an Internet connection.

Advanced

The Advanced view provides the auditor with information on system resources, USB devices, file system table, CSS and the ability to upgrade the WiFi Pineapple firmware.

Resources - displays file system disk usage and memory. From the Resources menu button Page Caches may be dropped.

USB - displays connected USB peripherals and allows the auditor to set the file system table (fstab). SD cards may be formatted from the USB menu button.

CSS - The WiFi Pineapple Web Interface stylesheet may be modified.

Firmware Upgrade - displays current firmware version and allows the auditor to check for updates. This requires an Internet connection and will initiate a connection to WiFiPineapple.com. If an update is available, the changelog will display and the option to Perform Upgrade will be available. Users are advised to carefully read the warnings related to the firmware upgrade feature.

If I were to order just the NANO, would I be able to buy everything else in the tatical bundle at a later time? (Case and battery)

I ask because the tactical bundle is out of stock and christmas is in a few hours for me :p

Yes, we will have an upgrade path available in an upcoming WiFi Pineapple mini-store on the HakShop that'll house all of the accessories.

• Upvote 2