Introducing the WiFi Pineapple NANO

Darren Kitchen

This is subject to change as the project moves forward. Updates will be pushed to the system Help module. Here's 1.0 :smile:

<snip>

Hi Darren,

Yes, I got this part, it's all in the "help" section of the NANO.

What I mean, as a complete new user and new member to the Pineapple family, something that I can use and follow to get this working.

I'm running Windows 8 and I have Virtual Box with Linux Kali and Centos6.7 loaded on, by the way, isn't letting me connect to the internet using Linux (both).

I've had issues with it before and ordered an adapter which didn't work either.

I know it's the holidays, and I'm trying to play around with this and figure it out but i'm not having too much luck with it.

I see all the "bells and whistle's" but HOW do I use them and what DO I do to get this to work as advertised?

Well, Congrats on the new hardware guys!

It does look very promising! i like the new interface!

I thought the Tiles interface introduced with the 3.0 firmware on the MKIV were an incredible waste of screen space.

Looking at the download count between V2.8.1 and v3.0 it seems a lot of people agreed. V3.0 was pretty much buggy and broken from my experience.

I gotta be honest though, while I am interested in buying this new version of the pineapple, I am still a little bit miffed about how the transition from MKIV to MKV was handled.

Now, I haven't checked for a few months, however I remember at the launch of the MKV, it was promised that there was still things coming for the MKIV.

As far as I could see last time I checked, that never happened. I was miffed that things were promised, and they never materialised.

I remember remarking around the time that I bet that the MKV would be gone within a year or 2 and we would have to upgrade our hardware again.

I really wanted to be wrong about that!

I was assured that would not be the case, and the MKV is here to stay.

I do understand that since the chip is no longer being manufactured has caused an issue with manufacturing for the MKV, and that is a shame.Sorry to hear about it.

I am very glad I didn't buy a MKV though. I took the decision to just sit that generation out, and just watch to see how long it survived for.

My MKIV is sitting uselessly in a cupboard now. Occasionally, I use it as a regular access point in a pinch, but it crashes way too much with a fresh firmware.

It always did.

Anyway. Questions :

Do the HAK5 team have a strategy in place for future generations of the pineapple hardware wherein new software is backward compatible?

I've watched all 5 generations of the pineapple before this, and it seems that backwards compatibility is not a consideration. This may be due to technical limitations / hardware architecture etc, which I understand...

But moving forward.... again I feel compelled to ask...

Next year / the year after are we going to get rinsed for another $100 ?

I'd kinda like to buy hardware that lasts more than a year / 2 years.

I kinda also want to know that Software Support carries on at least a year after EOL for hardware.

Us MKIV users were pretty much abandoned.

I want to be sure that the last firmware update you give for a hardware device does not suck as much as firmware 3.0 did for the MKIV at EOL.

Please don't take offence to my post, I wish the best for you all.

These are legitimate concerns of mine.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

I kinda also want to know that Software Support carries on at least a year after EOL for hardware.

Us MKIV users were pretty much abandoned.

I want to be sure that the last firmware update you give for a hardware device does not suck as much as firmware 3.0 did for the MKIV at EOL.

The change in hardware from the Mark IV to V were huge, and while Mark IV users were left behind, its important to understand how difficult and time consuming it can be to maintain firmwares for multiple devices. If they did this, Seb would be editing 3 firmwares and trying to constantly support 3 devices while trying to hit one deadline. The resources are not there.

As a side note, the 3.0 firmware for the Mark IV is marked BETA for a reason.

Edited by Foxtrot

The change in hardware from the Mark IV to V were huge, and while Mark IV users were left behind, its important to understand how difficult and time consuming it can be to maintain firmwares for multiple devices. If they did this, Seb would be editing 3 firmwares and trying to constantly support 3 devices while trying to hit one deadline. The resources are not there.

As a side note, the 3.0 firmware for the Mark IV is marked BETA for a reason.

thanks for your reply foxtrot.

I can appreciate what you wrote, and I can understand that seb managing multiple firmwares would be a nightmare.

However, it was seb himself who said the MKIV still had things coming out for it. (example : https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/30654-my-mkiv-30-experience-so-far/?p=232449 )

Why not just say, "No, sorry, it's EOL. There will be nothing more."

It wasn't till 6 months later that Darren confirmed it was dead : (same thread : https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/30654-my-mkiv-30-experience-so-far/?p=243433 )

It's kinda like ordering a taxi that never turns up....

You just keep waiting and waiting and waiting.... Until you eventually realise that it was never going to be.

It is always going to be better to just be straight up and honest about it.

There were people on the MKIV forums begging for answers from HAK5 which all pretty much went unanswered for a long time.

Side note response : why release a beta and not a final? Surely a beta is a work in progress. What was the point?

Anyway, the MKIV's lifetime was 3 or 4 years ago now.

I am most interested in the MKVI.

My original questions still stand though.

I want to throw down money and get one of these devices. They look the best I have ever seen in the pineapple range so far!

Will Hak5 be straight up with us when the MK7 comes out further down the line, and let us know as soon as they know when the previous generation is killed?

Better still, will they have a set EOL date (like Microsoft does) prior to the hardware reaching EOL?

It would be nice to know how long we have left on a product.

Cheers!

Edited by Fira

With each consecutive WiFi Pineapple the lifespan has increased (with the exception of the Mark III). Unfortunately software improvements (like PineAP) couldn't be back ported to the Mark IV due to the tremendous hardware differences with the Mark V (like the storage and 2nd radio). The Mark V has had support for over two years. If the trend continues I believe we will see similar support for the 6th gen devices. The short term road map is looking like:

6th generation launch:

- WiFi Pineapple NANO Dev release <-- you are here

- 5 GHz WiFi Pineapple Dev release

- Both 6th gen devices mass market launch

- 6th gen software port to Mark V

- Work begins on next gen "mouse trap" software

- Work begins on companion "core" hardware module

I don't have a crystal ball but I'd say the 7th generation WiFi Pineapple line will be brought on by innovations unforeseen at this time -- but considering how expensive and time consuming it is to make new hardware -- we'll be focusing on what we have now for quite some time.

• Upvote 3

With each consecutive WiFi Pineapple the lifespan has increased (with the exception of the Mark III). Unfortunately software improvements (like PineAP) couldn't be back ported to the Mark IV due to the tremendous hardware differences with the Mark V (like the storage and 2nd radio). The Mark V has had support for over two years. If the trend continues I believe we will see similar support for the 6th gen devices. The short term road map is looking like:

6th generation launch:

- WiFi Pineapple NANO Dev release <-- you are here

- 5 GHz WiFi Pineapple Dev release

- Both 6th gen devices mass market launch

- 6th gen software port to Mark V

- Work begins on next gen "mouse trap" software

- Work begins on companion "core" hardware module

I don't have a crystal ball but I'd say the 7th generation WiFi Pineapple line will be brought on by innovations unforeseen at this time -- but considering how expensive and time consuming it is to make new hardware -- we'll be focusing on what we have now for quite some time.

So wifi pineapple MKV will get software/firmware update?

I really don't see why MK5 woudln't get software update and new UI like nano since specs are so similar.

Will the Nano be able to USB tether from a wifi only Android device (like a Nexus 7)?

If not and I use one of the Nano wifi interfaces to connect to upstream wifi, will I lose out on any features (maybe some features of PineAP)? Does the Nano support adding a USB wifi adapter to connect to upstream wifi and leave the two onboard wifi interfaces for the Pineapple software?

Edit: looks like wifi only Nexus 7 on latest 6.0 Marshmallow doesn't do USB tethering. The tethering page to turn it on is just blank.

On 5.1.1 the tethering options are available, but USB tethering is greyed out and says USB not connected.

Edited by jacksinsomnia
  • Upvote 1

Will the Nano be able to USB tether from a wifi only Android device (like a Nexus 7)?

If the Android device supports USB tethering it'll work regardless of whether it has only WiFi or a mobile broadband (3/4G) connection. Say if you have a WiFi tablet or phone and it supports USB Tethering - the app will work just the same as it would on a phone with LTE.

Seb is working on also adding OTG support to the app for rooted devices. What this means is that rather than connect the NANO to the Android through its female USB port, you'd connect an OTG cable between the NANO Male USB plug and the Android. Then the rooted phone would see the NANO as usb0 and with the right iptables commands, Internet Connection Sharing is possible.

In fact this setup works today on most Androids, the only problem is most don't have iptables or similar for users - hence the root requirement. Overall this is something that we've been working on as part of integration with Kali nethunter (which is awesome BTW).

If not and I use one of the Nano wifi interfaces to connect to upstream wifi, will I lose out on any features (maybe some features of PineAP)? Does the Nano support adding a USB wifi adapter to connect to upstream wifi and leave the two onboard wifi interfaces for the Pineapple software?

1. You can always manage the WiFi Pineapple through the WPA secured management access point (that's why it's there)

2. WiFi Client mode hasn't changed in the NANO. You are advised to use it with a USB adapter such as the Alfa AWUS036NEH or similar. Using Client Mode with the NANOs built in AR9271 radio (wlan1) disables a considerable amount of functionality. This has been the case since the MK5 and the reason for the second radio is for the dedicated sniffing and injection.

If your phone doesn't support USB Tethering but does have WiFi Hotspot, you can connect your NANO to that using a small USB radio dongle and manage it that way too - you'd just need to figure out what the IP address of the NANO is on your phones network.

I'm sure Seb can get into much more detail here.

Edit: looks like wifi only Nexus 7 on latest 6.0 Marshmallow doesn't do USB tethering. The tethering page to turn it on is just blank.

On 5.1.1 the tethering options are available, but USB tethering is greyed out and says USB not connected.

If USB Tethering is ever grayed out when connected to the NANO, check to make sure you're using a data cable. It won't work with a power only cable like the one that comes with the Pineapple Juice 4000. I'll need to source some nice USB data cables for the next Tactical Rev.

• Upvote 1

If USB Tethering is ever grayed out when connected to the NANO, check to make sure you're using a data cable. It won't work with a power only cable like the one that comes with the Pineapple Juice 4000. I'll need to source some nice USB data cables for the next Tactical Rev.

Whoops, using that power only cable was one of my problems.

Looks like Google removed tethering completely from the Nexus 7 Wifi model with the 6.0 update and as far as I can tell no one has been able to figure out a way to enable it again.

On 5.1.1 I was able to enable USB tethering (after switching to a good cable) but the Wifi Pineapple app just continues telling me tethering is disabled and prompting me to configure. Anyone else seeing this?

cTUYPNBh.jpg

Right... The signal booster! I knew I forgot to attach something! ;)

is that a lan turtle, mark6, mark5, alfa, and pineapple juice all working together?

and what are the components I didnt list?

It's a joke. Hence the LAN Turtle looping back to the Mark V over Ethernet. None of it makes any sense. ;P

Haha OK. Guessed it would be :) Well I'm a complete noob and it's my very first pineapple... Does it make sense to stack the NANO together with the signal booster and the huge X-mas tree-like high gain antenna? PS: Wikipedia says USB 2.0 has maximum 0.5 Amps and USB 3.0 maximum 0.9 Amps... Is it recommended to use the Pineapple Juice battery instead together with an Android?