Introducing the WiFi Pineapple NANO

Darren Kitchen

No - the software is completely different. The entire UI was re-imagined from the ground up based on feedback and user testing. It's built on modern web standards to be fast, responsive and intuitive and really focuses on the wireless pentest workflow. The hardware also differs from the Mark V not only on the outside, which should be obvious from the form factor with the streamlining of ports, but also within. Chipsets were chosen based on performance and reliability. For example now it's dual-Atheros with higher gain and throughput, and not only on the radios but also the storage.

No - the software is completely different. The entire UI was re-imagined from the ground up based on feedback and user testing. It's built on modern web standards to be fast, responsive and intuitive and really focuses on the wireless pentest workflow. The hardware also differs from the Mark V not only on the outside, which should be obvious from the form factor with the streamlining of ports, but also within. Chipsets were chosen based on performance and reliability. For example now it's dual-Atheros with higher gain and throughput, and not only on the radios but also the storage.

Cpu and ram looks same as for mk5 from what i can see?

I am glad and happy for hak5 making new gadgets... but i'm pretty sure alot of people was expecting this new device to be able to have better specs (cpu, ram) since it has been years since mk5 was released.

There was talk of mk5 firmware maybe having MITMf implemented, i figured that was delayed so this new device can have but seeing specs i am not so sure?

Big thing about mk5 was when it was released it could sslstrip etc, it can't do now with ssl tls.

Will mk5 still get firmware updates and be actively developed for?

Good stuff, guys. I'm probably gonna wait until the testing is done to get one but I really like the form factor. It will fit perfectly on my EDC. I also like the placement of the ports. I can tell a lot of thought was put into it. I'm super excited to see the new interface and work on porting my infusions over to the nano.

• Upvote 1

The NANO was developed with a focus on performance and usability with integration with existing wireless pentest workflows. The platform we've chosen, keeping with the Atheros, is due not only with our familiarity with the chipset for development but because of it's strengths on the networking side of things. It's a router chip built to handle the sorts of network loads we're accustom to putting it under and for that we're very happy with the performance. And this radio in particular is tuned so well, I think you're really going to notice the RF performance. We've learned a lot since the MK5 and applied that knowledge not only to the NANO but it's the same reason we're working on a 5G capable device using similar technology.

Integration wise we've already come out with an Android app that simplifies connection and setup to the extreme. Seriously it's dead simple -- check the box and everything just works. We're also working with Nethunter developers to get the NANO integrating well with that platform, which should be pretty epic! Similarly a new connector for Linux is being built similar to wp5.sh but taking it to the next level.

The new software is more than just the streamlined Web Interface (which looks awesome, BTW). It's about compartmentalizing functions and making it easy to administer so that down the line applications can communicate and control the NANO through it's API. For example, the entire web interface and additional applications could be run on a completely separate device.

qhYxftH.jpg

Building on our strengths while integrating with the strengths of existing devices is one of the focuses with the NANO. Whether that's a tablet running nethunter, an unrooted Android, a Pi running Kali. We're never going to compete on price with the Zero - and that's ok. Eventually we'd like to have a sexy turnkey out-of-the-box ARM solution and for a while we've been developing what we call the "WiFi Pineapple Core" -- an ARM counterpart to the NANO. Essentially when plugged into the device it would act as the next node up on the network doing heavy lifting and even seamlessly controlling the device through the API.

It's all very possible since the hardware was designed with a single USB plug for both power and network connectivity. That said, in our experience talking with ODMs on ARM we've found it extremely expensive and time consuming, at least at our scale. That's not to say we're not keen on the Core - but we think focusing on working with what's out there now before rolling our own is the better bet. Once we have more of the software done I'd love to see our own distro or tighter connector tools for these platforms. The above photo is only a proof of concept -- but it works.

• Upvote 4

Darrin:

The Mark V will no longer be sold, is that correct. The future direction is the NANO and will become the pineapple current standard? Based on the previous posts still will work with windows and buying the development version should be no different than the version that will be certified at some time in the future.

Do I have the above correct?

Jim

when will we have access to the code. can we get some screenshots

jordan

The API is done and the documentation will be written as soon as firmware is finalized. We're on target for a 1.0 release by Monday. The current beta is functionally complete - we're just waiting on a few insundrys such as help text.

Units are just arriving and once we have them in developers hands we'll be preparing a hangout to go over the various technical aspects. This launch is developer centric and as such we're eager to share with you the latest innovations that will take this platform to the next level.

I can't express enough how fulfilling it has been to completely wipe the slate clean and reimagine the entire WiFi Pineapple experience in both a hardware and software aspect based on usability and workflow. The new WiFi Pineapple isn't just intuitive, it's fun to use -- and not just as a user. I'm personally looking forward to developing my first module with the new API.

Here are a few screenshots:

dqrZyEI.png
Dashboard on Desktop
yIZyY0M.png
Recon on Desktop

rGShoML.png

PineAP on Mobile

What about 5 ghz support

jordan

5G is an important factor in our 6th generation WiFi Pineapple strategy.

Thus far the WiFi Pineapple has been solely a 2.4G device. While this is sufficient for the vast majority of applications, there are cases where 5G is desired. Unfortunately 5G chipsets are complicated, large, power hungry, hot, lacking support, expensive, and take a fortune in time and money to certify.

That being said, we are sufficiently down the production pipeline to confidently say that if all goes according to plan, we'll have a dual band solution available in the near future. I can't guarantee that it will be similar in cost or as small in formfactor as the NANO - but I believe the opportunities that a 5G WiFi Pineapple afford outweigh either of those hurdles.

For now, the WiFi Pineapple NANO aims to deliver on our core mission of providing simple, affordable, expandable wireless auditing platforms. With the next generation web interface and new API we're confident that when the time comes to deliver a 5G solution, we'll have a robust firmware and module ecosystem to take full advantage of its hardware features.

Darrin:

The Mark V will no longer be sold, is that correct. The future direction is the NANO and will become the pineapple current standard? Based on the previous posts still will work with windows and buying the development version should be no different than the version that will be certified at some time in the future.

Do I have the above correct?

Jim

The Mark V is EOL due to parts availability. The RTL8187 was discontinued so we are no longer able to produce the Mark V. The NANO was developed as its successor and is functionally equivalent. It also has increased reliability and performance :). The NANO works with Windows the same way the Mark V did -- in fact setup is easier since the single USB plug is used to both power the device and for connectivity since as the NANO will enumerate as a USB Ethernet adapter using its onboard ASIX AX88772A chip.

The WiFi Pineapple NANO Evaluation and Development Kit is the same device as what will be released to mass market upon completion of certification in Q1-2016. We're making it available now to for evaluation and development as the new API and web interface require effort on the part of module developers to port infusions.

• Upvote 2

If we are not developers but want to help vet code and hang with the cool kids on the bleeding edge, we really loose nothing by buying now. Or put another way, we don't gain anything but waiting to but until its certified. Thanks - I'll stop pestering with questions. I am really excited about playing with the NANO.

Jim

I enjoyed using the Mark IV enough that I waited through the Mark V release party while refreshing the store site over and over to make sure I ordered one immediately when it was available. I've loved the Mark V enough that, when my partner saw me getting giddy over the "Pineapple" teaser videos, I told her to be prepared for me making a purchase in the near future. And yep, I ordered and can't wait for the new Nano tactical kit to show up. Thanks for the continuing dedication and hard work on this product line. I've learned much via your efforts.

r3g3x, on 18 Dec 2015 - 12:20 PM, said:

If we are not developers but want to help vet code and hang with the cool kids on the bleeding edge, we really loose nothing by buying now. Or put another way, we don't gain anything but waiting to but until its certified. Thanks - I'll stop pestering with questions. I am really excited about playing with the NANO.

Jim

No nothing to lose,

I think its a legal thing where Hak5 team are unable to sell as a "retail" device until certified,

A similar analogy would be slimming pills which are sold and state something similar to

"*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. "

So the device is being sold as a debug/developer device and performance/radio stability can't be claimed to be 100% certified to work until testing by FCC (I guess its FCC or CE for Europe?).

Remember though that the team have had test devices most likely in their offices for months , so I'm sure they will work as currently advertised.

Edited by zoro25

No nothing to lose,

I think its a legal thing where Hak5 team are unable to sell as a "retail" device until certified,

A similar analogy would be slimming pills which are sold and state something similar to

"*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. "

So the device is being sold as a debug/developer device and performance/radio stability can't be claimed to be 100% certified to work until testing by FCC (I guess its FCC or CE for Europe?).

Remember though that the team have had test devices most likely in their offices for months , so I'm sure they will work as currently advertised.

Correct. All that is missing is the SAR certification. We have passed the rest. SAR is just taking a while longer :(

I am having trouble enabling tethering on my rooted Moto E. I realize that this is probably because of the phone and not the app, but it makes using the app impossible on this device before I even get my hands on a pineapple. Is it possible that there will be wireless support for the Nano so that I will be able to use the WiFi or Bluetooth on my phone to connect and manage the interface?

If anyone is curious, it is a rooted Boost Mobile Moto E 2015 using TWRP. I removed the SIM card to use it as a microtablet, but I can't see why having cell service is a necessity for enabling tethering. I also tested the app on my Asus ZenPad, and it again works fine, so I know it must be the phone, as the tablet is not rooted, and does not have a SIM card slot at all. I am sure I will eventually find a fix, given enough digging through SQL databases. Again, my real question is not necessarily how to get it to work, but if support for other modes of wireless connections will eventually be available.

I have another phone on which the app works fine, so no worries. Just curiosity.

Speaking of curiosity...

Seb, were you aware that your coding is done in different colors? Y'know, being colorblind and all. ;)

You have to have something plugged in to enable tethering I'm pretty sure. You can connect with the Management WiFi AP and navigate to 172.16.42.1:1471 that way.

And the app I think only looks for the pineapple. I need to buy a USB C to OTG to test my NANO on the Nexus 6P.

Well coding is all text ;) but he has awesome people to help him with color schemes.

post-16519-0-90269200-1450494096_thumb.p

• Upvote 2