Introducing the WiFi Pineapple NANO

Darren Kitchen

Okay so the new gadget looks cool, no doubt, so job well done.

But I can't be the only one who notices that it's no different from the Mark V, just smaller and with a better web interface, something they could have easily accomplished with the Mark V, but then again that wouldn't drive sales. Rather cheeky if you ask me. Yes yes i understand the RTL8187 is discontinued and you had to come up with something new, but come on, you can't seriously say you couldn't develop the new web interface for the Mark V as well. The point I'm trying to make is, a lot of people spent good hard earned money of the Mark V, and it's disappointing to see that you're just going to push that to the side with no updates or support, especially when the new Pineapple is pretty much the exact same thing. You can very easily continue support and updates for both side by side but i doubt you will.

Still dont believe me? I'll bet the new Pineapple still doesnt have SSL Strip 2 or DNS2Proxy, so how different is it really from the old Pineapple? I hope I'm wrong, and if I am win win for everybody, and if I'm not, well I told you so.

Lastly, no I'm not trolling, credit where it's due, the LAN Turtle was a genius invention, hats off to the Hak5 Team for making that happen, but this just seems like a stunt for driving sales.

Before a moderator swoops down and tires to save the day, let me just say, relax. You will get my money, there is a good chance I will get the new Pineapple, because I can afford to, but I know there are a lot of people out there who can't and this is for them.

Edited by crazyclown
  • Upvote 1

I am having trouble enabling tethering on my rooted Moto E. I realize that this is probably because of the phone and not the app, but it makes using the app impossible on this device before I even get my hands on a pineapple. Is it possible that there will be wireless support for the Nano so that I will be able to use the WiFi or Bluetooth on my phone to connect and manage the interface?

If anyone is curious, it is a rooted Boost Mobile Moto E 2015 using TWRP. I removed the SIM card to use it as a microtablet, but I can't see why having cell service is a necessity for enabling tethering. I also tested the app on my Asus ZenPad, and it again works fine, so I know it must be the phone, as the tablet is not rooted, and does not have a SIM card slot at all. I am sure I will eventually find a fix, given enough digging through SQL databases. Again, my real question is not necessarily how to get it to work, but if support for other modes of wireless connections will eventually be available.

I have another phone on which the app works fine, so no worries. Just curiosity.

Speaking of curiosity...

Seb, were you aware that your coding is done in different colors? Y'know, being colorblind and all. ;)

You can absolutely manage the WiFi Pineapple NANO over WiFi on your phone -- though Internet Connection Sharing over that WiFi connection would depend on whether or not you can setup the routing with iptables. Since it's rooted I'd say - maybe?

I'm still on the fence about buying the nano. The interface looks great and I love the smaller form factor but I can't help agree with crazyclown. I would like to hear a response from the developers about the questions posed here. It would be awesome if the new interface could be pushed as part of a firmware update to the MKV. I understand the RTL8187 was discontinued and that is not the fault of Hak5 but it also isn't the fault of Pineapple users. If the main differences between the MKV and the Nano are the software and form factor then I don't want to spend another $100 - $150 for a device I already own.

• Upvote 1

But I can't be the only one who notices that it's no different from the Mark V, just smaller and with a better web interface, something they could have easily accomplished with the Mark V, but then again that wouldn't drive sales. Rather cheeky if you ask me.

Not trying to be cheeky. The intent isn't to push everyone who bought a Mark V to buy a NANO. As always we're working hard to make the best product possible -- and we believe that the NANO is a massive improvement overall.
We developed the NANO with the highest performance, most reliable components we can obtain. They were arranged in such a way that the usage is streamlined. Wrapping it all together is the new software which focuses on workflow and integrates with multiple platforms easily.
Once you use the NANO you'll see it's a completely different experience.

Yes yes i understand the RTL8187 is discontinued and you had to come up with something new,

It is a shame that the RTL8187 was discontinued far before we expected. This caused a pineapple drought which put a huge burden on us at a time when we're very much invested in the next generation of the platform.
We prototyped a version of the Mark V with an alternate to the RTL8187, but it came with its own complications and by the time it was sourced, manufactured, tested, certified, etc -- we could have spun up development on a new system entirely. At the same time having received feedback and done user testing we realized an entirely new approach to the WiFi Pineapple was possible -- which we've now begun to realize through the NANO.

but come on, you can't seriously say you couldn't develop the new web interface for the Mark V as well.

We aren't saying that we won't be developing the new web interface for the Mark V. And it's more than just a UI -- it's a completely new system with compartmentalized components and a rich API to control the device that's agnostic from the web interface. This opens the door to some really great opportunities.

The point I'm trying to make is, a lot of people spent good hard earned money of the Mark V, and it's disappointing to see that you're just going to push that to the side with no updates or support, especially when the new Pineapple is pretty much the exact same thing.

If you bought a Mark V for $100 at launch you received over 2 years of firmware updates including additional features such as PineAP for free. That's the sort of customer service we're committed to and I'd say that's above and beyond the industry norm.

You can very easily continue support and updates for both side by side but i doubt you will.

The plan is to make a build of the 6th generation software available for the Mark V. There are various internal differences that add subtle complications, but nothing that can't be remedied. This won't happen immediately as we're focused on wrapping up the firmware for the NANO and the forthcoming 5G hardware. Based on our current timeline I think February is achievable.
This dev kit launch with the first dibs to the forums was done in order to get momentum behind new modules. The core functionality is complete, but it's only together as a community that we're going to realize the full potential of the new platform.
It should also be noted that we have only begun to scratch the surface of the new platform. Remember, the Mark V didn't realize PineAP until 10 months into its life. I'd say similar advances are feasible with the 6th gen system.
If this were any other industry you would probably expect software license fees and such -- but that's not our style. We toyed with the idea of charging for a software update, but in all honesty I have doubts anyone would pay for what they've come to expect for free. Would you pay for the new system on the Mark V?
Lastly, as you can imagine all WiFi Pineapple advances come at considerable cost. Not only in the hardware engineering, sourcing, manufacturing, testing, certification, licensing, etc -- but the continued software development we've enjoyed for the last several years. I think our sole full-time developer Sebkinne deserves significant credit alongside this community of module developers in making the WiFi Pineapple the best wireless auditing platform available.
  • Upvote 3

Well it looks like another awesome product by the hak5 team and its developers.

I'm wondering what kind of price it will attract?

Don't get me wrong I think its awesome work, but I for one just can't avoid these toys any longer.

Especially when paying freight on top.

Well done anyways.

• Upvote 2

To all those that are whining about "customer service" and/or the "we want value for money" boys; you're not only giving your money for the hardware, you're also supporting innovation. You're supporting a good cause, see it as a way you can make Unicef keep doing what they do. But without the CEO that fills his pockets with $1000000 a year.

Besides that, they have given us more updates for the hardware then Linksys, Netgear and Belkin did combined for all of their stuff in the past year...

And not only you get the best piece of hardware you yourself never could come up with, they also are giving you a weekly dose of technolust, and everything that surrounds that. Have you ever seen a company that gave you as much bang for buck than these bunch? No you haven't. It's absurd how much heart they put into their product, it is pure love and dedication. You can't even compare it to another company, these are the people we need more of in the world, make sure they can keep doing what they do.

• Upvote 9

In my current setup, I have an RPi2 connected to the mkV via ethernet. That way I can access it (kali) through the pineapple using ssh, vnc, etc. How would I do this with the Nano? (no ethernet)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/shq1on9eeoic87z/DSC_0049.JPG?dl=0

In my current setup, I have an RPi2 connected to the mkV via ethernet. That way I can access it (kali) through the pineapple using ssh, vnc, etc. How would I do this with the Nano? (no ethernet)

That's a nice setup!

You simply plug the NANO into the rpi over USB. The USB is actually an ASIX (usb over ethernet), so you should have no problem there.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

• Upvote 1

That's a nice setup!

You simply plug the NANO into the rpi over USB. The USB is actually an ASIX (usb over ethernet), so you should have no problem there.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Thanks, it's an old shot. (still with an RPi1)

So the USB connection will act like an ethernet connection? Interesting..... Guess I'll pick one up.

Thanks, it's an old shot. (still with an RPi1)

So the USB connection will act like an ethernet connection? Interesting..... Guess I'll pick one up.

Exactly. It acts like your standard usb to Ethernet adapter, but doubles as the power input. It was an easy way to kill to birds with one stone.

Rad setup! You'll be happy to know the NANO includes a 40cm USB Y extension cable so just routing that from your Pi's female USB to the NANO male USB will do the trick.

Rad setup! You'll be happy to know the NANO includes a 40cm USB Y extension cable so just routing that from your Pi's female USB to the NANO male USB will do the trick.

Okay, okay.... I already ordered one. ;)

I've been following the Hak 5 community since the mkIV. Bought the mkV when it was released. I've been playing with it ever since. It's entertaining, and educational. The device, the forum, the videos, etc. I appreciate it all. So if I have to spend $100 every 2-3 years for that, I don't care what they build. I'm fine with it.

Computers, mobile electronics, cars, motorcycles, photography, guns..... I don't have too many other hobbies where $100 gets me that far.

• Upvote 1

I've been following the Hak 5 community since the mkIV. Bought the mkV when it was released. I've been playing with it ever since. It's entertaining, and educational. The device, the forum, the videos, etc. I appreciate it all. So if I have to spend $100 every 2-3 years for that, I don't care what they build. I'm fine with it.

Computers, mobile electronics, cars, motorcycles, photography, guns..... I don't have too many other hobbies where $100 gets me that far.

It's an amazing device with an amazing UI. Compare it to the web UI that the Pwnie products have and, well, i'll let people come to their own conclusions. not to mention the other software on the nano..

It's an amazing device with an amazing UI. Compare it to the web UI that the Pwnie products have and, well, i'll let people come to their own conclusions. not to mention the other software on the nano..

Honestly I think the bulk of my time with the Pineapple is spent in an ssh prompt. But the new GUI does look exciting.

;

Not trying to be cheeky. The intent isn't to push everyone who bought a Mark V to buy a NANO. As always we're working hard to make the best product possible -- and we believe that the NANO is a massive improvement overall.

We developed the NANO with the highest performance, most reliable components we can obtain. They were arranged in such a way that the usage is streamlined. Wrapping it all together is the new software which focuses on workflow and integrates with multiple platforms easily.

Once you use the NANO you'll see it's a completely different experience.

It is a shame that the RTL8187 was discontinued far before we expected. This caused a pineapple drought which put a huge burden on us at a time when we're very much invested in the next generation of the platform.

We prototyped a version of the Mark V with an alternate to the RTL8187, but it came with its own complications and by the time it was sourced, manufactured, tested, certified, etc -- we could have spun up development on a new system entirely. At the same time having received feedback and done user testing we realized an entirely new approach to the WiFi Pineapple was possible -- which we've now begun to realize through the NANO.

We aren't saying that we won't be developing the new web interface for the Mark V. And it's more than just a UI -- it's a completely new system with compartmentalized components and a rich API to control the device that's agnostic from the web interface. This opens the door to some really great opportunities.

If you bought a Mark V for $100 at launch you received over 2 years of firmware updates including additional features such as PineAP for free. That's the sort of customer service we're committed to and I'd say that's above and beyond the industry norm.

The plan is to make a build of the 6th generation software available for the Mark V. There are various internal differences that add subtle complications, but nothing that can't be remedied. This won't happen immediately as we're focused on wrapping up the firmware for the NANO and the forthcoming 5G hardware. Based on our current timeline I think February is achievable.

This dev kit launch with the first dibs to the forums was done in order to get momentum behind new modules. The core functionality is complete, but it's only together as a community that we're going to realize the full potential of the new platform.

It should also be noted that we have only begun to scratch the surface of the new platform. Remember, the Mark V didn't realize PineAP until 10 months into its life. I'd say similar advances are feasible with the 6th gen system.

If this were any other industry you would probably expect software license fees and such -- but that's not our style. We toyed with the idea of charging for a software update, but in all honesty I have doubts anyone would pay for what they've come to expect for free. Would you pay for the new system on the Mark V?

Lastly, as you can imagine all WiFi Pineapple advances come at considerable cost. Not only in the hardware engineering, sourcing, manufacturing, testing, certification, licensing, etc -- but the continued software development we've enjoyed for the last several years. I think our sole full-time developer Sebkinne deserves significant credit alongside this community of module developers in making the WiFi Pineapple the best wireless auditing platform available.

Thanks for taking the time out to respond, much appreciated.

The whole quoting thing is giving me a headache so I will type up my response all in one.

I have no doubt the Nano will be a new experience, as I mentioned before I will most probably get one. I am not implying in any way that you guys didnt work hard on it or that you dont deserve recognition, quite the contrary actually. As a WiFi pentesting enthusiast much of my work has been possible because of your gadgets. You mentioned:

Which is totally correct, however Id rather pay $200 for the device and expect 4 years of firmware updates rather than having to pay for a new device which isnt really that much different and thats the point Im trying to make. Once again you mentioned:

Would you pay for the new system on the Mark V?

And the answer is no, but I would pay more for the Mark V and expect updates for much longer, and Im sure many here feel the same way. Just look at Apple, most of what youre paying is for the constant software updates, the hardware itself costs like a 1/5 of the actual price.

What it boils down to is the short comings of the Mark V, for instance, limited RAM. For anyone who has done a penitent for more than 5 minutes, you will notice that the Mark V eventually becomes non response and auto reboots and if you dont have a cron job in place, you need to start all over again. Has this been addressed in the Nano?

SSL Strip is obsolete, and so is SSL Strip 2 unless it is combined with DNS2Proxy and Delorean. Is this something that has/will be implemented in the Nano?

For those who have used the Mark V inside out, you will understand where I am coming from. All Im saying is, when I heard about the new Pineapple, I expected some serious updates besides a shiny new web interface but based on what I have seen and read it doesnt seem to be the case. I could be wrong and the new device can and will do all the points I have mentioned, but based on the information you have provided so far, it doesn't appear to be the case.

Edited by crazyclown
  • Upvote 2

Well the shipping label was just created for mine (ordered this morning), so it won't be long until I find out.

It's worth pointing out that those ASIX chips really deliver. If you want usb ethernet that Just Works â„¢, get an adapter with one of those in it.

I've actually got a USB-ethernet dongle I've been using for years on my laptop. Might have to go see what chipset it uses...

So I noticed there aren't any DIP switches on the NANO. I still plan on getting one either way, but I was wondering if there was any way of having that sort of functionality on the software side somehow. I had them set up for things such as wardriving, where I didn't have to have any other devices with me, just the MK5 and Pineapple Juice. I'd like to be able to do that with the NANO.

Of course I could always connect to it from my cell phone, but I'm just being optimistic here :p

Either way, I can't wait to get my hands on one.