Introducing the WiFi Pineapple NANO

Darren Kitchen

In regard to the 5GHz version:

So Darren, did all go well? I would love to get my hands on one.

Yes, the 5 GHz counterpart to the 6th gen line came in a little before expected. You can learn more at https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/37173-introducing-the-wifi-pineapple-tetra/

• Upvote 1

Was finally able to take the Nano out and set it up a little while ago. Setup went perfect with my Nexus 6p, just like your video. Plugged it into a USB battery I had laying around, and threw a wifi N dongle on it (connected to my home network so I could access from my PC) and put it out on the front porch.

Everything worked smoothly, and just as it should. The new UI is bad ass. Setup time was VERY fast and easy. I swear I'm picking up networks stronger than I do with my mk5 setup.... Is that possible? I'm digging the portability. Might have to throw this in the old MK5 tactical bag.

Next to try is connecting to my Kali/RPi2.

24008523701_c134caef59_b.jpg2015-12-31_03-59-49 by William Boschert, on Flickr

Was finally able to take the Nano out and set it up a little while ago. Setup went perfect with my Nexus 6p, just like your video. Plugged it into a USB battery I had laying around, and threw a wifi N dongle on it (connected to my home network so I could access from my PC) and put it out on the front porch.

Everything worked smoothly, and just as it should. The new UI is bad ass. Setup time was VERY fast and easy. I swear I'm picking up networks stronger than I do with my mk5 setup.... Is that possible? I'm digging the portability. Might have to throw this in the old MK5 tactical bag.

Next to try is connecting to my Kali/RPi2.

24008523701_c134caef59_b.jpg2015-12-31_03-59-49 by William Boschert, on Flickr

I noticed in picking up stuff better than the mark V as well.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting into the web management interface when connecting via WiFi to the Management AP, is browsing to 172.16.42.1:1471 the only way to do so? Having tried this it doesn't work, removing the port gives me a 403 error on the page, so at least it's getting somewhere...

I'm still waiting on documentation or video(s) on how to use this thing.

What was given was very vague as I'm brand new to using the wifi pineapple, but do have a bit of Linux experience BUT i'm not using KALI Linux as my main platform, I'm running Windows 8 using the web interface and still confused as fu##ed!

Can someone give some sort of step-by-step detail on how and what to use this for.

I'm driving around with it connected to my laptop...for what?

I'm sure this is a great piece of software but some "instruction", real instructions on how to use this would be VERY appreciated, not just 1 page 1 paragraph of what it's supposed to do.

It's now been almost 2 weeks since i've had this and it's been sitting on my desk for the time being.

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by undercoverhacker

What was given was very vague as I'm brand new to using the wifi pineapple, but do have a bit of Linux experience BUT i'm not using KALI Linux as my main platform, I'm running Windows 8 using the web interface and still confused as fu##ed!

Can someone give some sort of step-by-step detail on how and what to use this for.

I'm sure this is a great piece of software but some "instruction", real instructions on how to use this would be VERY appreciated, not just 1 page 1 paragraph of what it's supposed to do.

It's now been almost 2 weeks since i've had this and it's been sitting on my desk for the time being.

Any help is appreciated.

As many people have already stated you can review the MKV threads and the Pineapple University threads. If you expect to get anything out of the Pineapple, or any other device for pentesting, you will need to put in the effort doing research. All of the info is already here on the forums.

• Upvote 1

Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to the community! You're at somewhat of an advantage starting on the 6th generation WiFi Pineapple platform in that it's a new modernized approach to the web interface with an emphasis on the workflow. I'm sure pineapple veterans here are re-learning the layout.

The timing wasn't great with the holidays for release, hence not having all of the documentation in order. We're focused now on small update of bug fixes and little features along with developer documentation. Seb and I will be hosting a hangout shortly. I haven't nailed down the exact date with him, but I'm gunning for this coming week.

In the mean time I shot a quick WiFi Pineapple Primer video that'll introduce the fundamentals of the PineAP suite.

• Upvote 4

Welcome to the community! You're at somewhat of an advantage starting on the 6th generation WiFi Pineapple platform in that it's a new modernized approach to the web interface with an emphasis on the workflow. I'm sure pineapple veterans here are re-learning the layout.

The timing wasn't great with the holidays for release, hence not having all of the documentation in order. We're focused now on small update of bug fixes and little features along with developer documentation. Seb and I will be hosting a hangout shortly. I haven't nailed down the exact date with him, but I'm gunning for this coming week.

In the mean time I shot a quick WiFi Pineapple Primer video that'll introduce the fundamentals of the PineAP suite.

Great video! This one really helped me out. Darren you mention that it's not recommended to run the "client mode". How do I know if the "client mode" is on? Is this the same as the access point you setup in the beginning so you can browse to the Pineapple Dashboard from the WiFi SSID you setup for the Pineapple?

Great video! This one really helped me out. Darren you mention that it's not recommended to run the "client mode". How do I know if the "client mode" is on? Is this the same as the access point you setup in the beginning so you can browse to the Pineapple Dashboard from the WiFi SSID you setup for the Pineapple?

WiFiJuice,

The Client mode Darren is talking about is if you didn't have a device to tether to your Nano or to provide an internet connection to. Under the Networking Tab on the Browser interface you can use the secondary card to actually connect to a wifi network to provide that internet connection. The process that Darren steps through at the beginning of his video is running the WP6.sh script to share an internet connection through the Ethernat-over-usb functionality that the Nano has from his working computer.

• Upvote 1

Is there any ETA on when/if the tactical bundle of the nano will come with a Y-Cable that supports data rather than just power? Not a big deal, just wondering if I need to order one separately or not whenever they come back in stock.

I don't have a timeline. Connecting the NANO to your Android device doesn't require a Y-Cable -- just a regular data capable USB cable. Seeing as newer devices are going with USB C I'm contemplating what the best course of action is for adding a Micro USB cable to the bundle.

Any help is appreciated.

I wrote a blog post on it for setting it up with Windows 10 http://www.certsandprogs.com/2016/01/configuring-wi-fi-pineapple-nano.htmland will be writing up some more on it over the next couple of weeks

• Upvote 1

Is there any ETA on when/if the tactical bundle of the nano will come with a Y-Cable that supports data rather than just power? Not a big deal, just wondering if I need to order one separately or not whenever they come back in stock.

The Y-Cable does support data, at least mine does. It's the MicroUSB cable that is power only.

• Upvote 2

Well my nano finally arrived today. I was hoping it might make it here on Dec 31, but Canada post take their sweet ass time to deliver mail on a good day.

I have it hooked up and am experimenting with the primer video and trying to get the wp6.sh script to run properly on my kali box.

I like the tactical bundle. Can't wait to put that monster on my belt and walk around like a boss. Ha!

Hello,

I had a question regarding the tethering of the NANO. I have gotten the device tethered just fine using Linux and Android, but what if I wanted to drop the NANO under a shelf or hide it, walk away, then come back and collect the results a few hours or days later?

This seemed to have been possible with the MKV, what with the Ominous Box and all. (A new NANO and/or TETRA box would be nice, btw) However, I can't seem to find a clear answer on how I would go about doing this. I have a spare wireless dongle I could use to give the NANO an internet connection, but isn't there a way to just hook the NANO wirelessly into an open network and pretend to be that network?

For example, if I were to hide the NANO behind the Coke machine at a McDonald's and connect wirelessly to their free WiFi, is it possible to sit somewhere else in the restaurant and monitor traffic?

I have tried doing this at home, but maybe I am just doing it wrong. Any insight would be appreciated. A magical (and authentic-looking) box to use this for long-term deployment would also be appreciated, but I would understand if this takes some time to implement. :tongue:

Thanks!

Hello,

I had a question regarding the tethering of the NANO. I have gotten the device tethered just fine using Linux and Android, but what if I wanted to drop the NANO under a shelf or hide it, walk away, then come back and collect the results a few hours or days later?

This seemed to have been possible with the MKV, what with the Ominous Box and all. (A new NANO and/or TETRA box would be nice, btw) However, I can't seem to find a clear answer on how I would go about doing this. I have a spare wireless dongle I could use to give the NANO an internet connection, but isn't there a way to just hook the NANO wirelessly into an open network and pretend to be that network?

For example, if I were to hide the NANO behind the Coke machine at a McDonald's and connect wirelessly to their free WiFi, is it possible to sit somewhere else in the restaurant and monitor traffic?

I have tried doing this at home, but maybe I am just doing it wrong. Any insight would be appreciated. A magical (and authentic-looking) box to use this for long-term deployment would also be appreciated, but I would understand if this takes some time to implement. :tongue:

Thanks!

This would be easier if you also added a third wifi card, but it's possible without it if you don't use the entire PineAP suite so wlan1 could take the place of the third card.

I have a router in my room, if I wanted to I could start a pineapple, (5, or nano, doesn't make a difference) and using the third card I would connect the pineapple to my network. Then I would start the PineAP, which would use both of the other cards. At this point, the pineapple is getting everything in my room to connect to it, and then it's acting as a mitm. If I'm close enough to the pineapple, I can connect to its network and ssh into 172.16.48.1 to connect to it. If I went to a friends house, I would still be able to connect to the pineapple, since it is connected to the internet with the third card. I would just have to know it's public IP. And you'd probably have to set up a reverse connection, since upnp would likely either not be available, or port 22 would already be taken by another device.

Masterpiece.png

Shown via this beautiful masterpiece of a diagram, you could ssh to 172.16.48.1 if you were close enough. And connect to 1.2.3.4 if you were far away and upnp worked.

Edited by Fallen Archangel

Hi all,

Just caught up with this post and couldn't find an eta on the modules.

I did do some work with the pine app but nothing real fancy yet.

Just getting familliar with the gui, ssh, sdcard, mdk3 and the default airmon-ng, aircrack, airplay-ng commands as usual and some routing configuration.

Now that I know the basic stuff, I would like to create/write some modules like using sslstrip.

I do have experience with sslstrip on Kali linux and I want to introduct it to the nano.

Do you have a starting point of how to create a module?

For example, if you could tell me for example that I need to write a script in, eg. python, and add the pointing entry to the script to a module file, eg. /etc/modules.conf then that would be cool.

I don't have a clue of where to start.
I am not asking for a complete write down as that would take to much time but a starting point would be great.

So basicly I got questions; has there already been mentioned an eta on the modules availability and I really would like to start with the sslstrip on the nano but I am stuck due to the lack of python-twisted-web. I can't download it via the normal repositories and I don't want to manually change the repos to another destination. When will the python-twisted-web package be available? Or if you have another brief instruction of how to setup sslstrip on the nano that would be great ( I prefer not to wait on the update as seb stated before, so any help would be great ).

Thanks in advance again.

Hi all,

Just caught up with this post and couldn't find an eta on the modules.

I did do some work with the pine app but nothing real fancy yet.

Just getting familliar with the gui, ssh, sdcard, mdk3 and the default airmon-ng, aircrack, airplay-ng commands as usual and some routing configuration.

Now that I know the basic stuff, I would like to create/write some modules like using sslstrip.

I do have experience with sslstrip on Kali linux and I want to introduct it to the nano.

Do you have a starting point of how to create a module?

For example, if you could tell me for example that I need to write a script in, eg. python, and add the pointing entry to the script to a module file, eg. /etc/modules.conf then that would be cool.

I don't have a clue of where to start.

I am not asking for a complete write down as that would take to much time but a starting point would be great.

So basicly I got questions; has there already been mentioned an eta on the modules availability and I really would like to start with the sslstrip on the nano but I am stuck due to the lack of python-twisted-web. I can't download it via the normal repositories and I don't want to manually change the repos to another destination. When will the python-twisted-web package be available? Or if you have another brief instruction of how to setup sslstrip on the nano that would be great ( I prefer not to wait on the update as seb stated before, so any help would be great ).

Thanks in advance again.

@dre2007

https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/37257-how-should-i-add-modules-to-the-nano/

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know if this was covered, however, is hotspot usb dongles, like for example the AT&T Beam, supported on the NANO and the Tetra?

Modems that use CDC_Ether or RNDIS are. You can also get older serial style modems working if you're familiar with the ppp link setup. I can't speak to your particular modem since I don't have one myself, but you'll find more discussion on 3G/4G with the WiFi Pineapple in general from this thread: https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/37131-questions-about-3g-4g-modems/