I'm bringing this to the Darrens and attention

CyberAssassin

Got to agree with Moonlit and Vako on the moderation issue - it needs sorting now - other mods deleting posts of mods - just about unheard of as far as my experfience goes.

To Matt and Chris- couldn't give a toss if you guys end of making a good living out of the show as long as it continues to deliver entertainment - I have my gripes but thats not one of them. Marks out of 10 for 4x01? I'd say 6......at one point a bit more prudent editing would have got rid of some 20 seconds of cockup but on the whole I enjoyed it , well done. Not sure the banter across sets works

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I don't see a problem with the guy's an gals of Hak5 making a buck or two from the show they spend there time educating an informing us and they hake kept the show funny and on track. Some of the shows out there or live casts are either boring after a while OR just plain stupid.

The Hak5 old timers might not like the new style but I see most of the orginal shows reflected in the new ones just better done, personally the outdoors segments in the original show seemed a little unplanned compared to Darrens weird WiFi pineapple segment. And Moobix recovered a newer version of Maltego to that was just as good if not better than the original.

Snubs has only done the live show before now an even then she wasn't the main focus of the show so she didn't get much time in front of the camera, it must be a nervous the first time for her in front of the crowd of such a popular IPTV show as Hak5 and she did prity damn well and I am sure we will grow to have the same level of respect / admiration we did for alli.

Matt has come from being a sponsor of the show to being a co host an I think he is doing a good job he seems relaxed an likes a joke, I can honestly say the show seems better for having him on it.

So in my opinion the new season of Hak5 seems to have improved on a already solid foundation and Rev3 will help them reach a larger audience than they have previously been able to reach an more power to them for being successful enough to have offers made to them.

Good luck again guys.

I wish Wess didn't leave the show too. I wish he would come on episode after episode with awesome mod after awesome mod. I wish he had the passion he once had for this and I think it's a shame that he's left the show high and dry on it's biggest premiere yet. Had I believed him at the last Shmoocon when he said he was leaving we might have had some lead time preparing for his departure. Had he stuck with the word he gave me just last month about continuing with the show in season4 we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. But alas he made his decision -- one I learned along side you -- and you're right the show will suffer from that.

Well now. I wonder how long this will last before it gets deleted!

Lets see, the funniest thing about this is that I received a mini-lecture from Darren on professionalism about my resignation. How I should have given him "more notice". Well, maybe I should have, however, I'm not an employee. The whole idea of Hak5 was started as a partnership. Secondly, yes, I did mention that I was thinking about leaving Hak5 on our way to Shmoocon. I was getting burnt out. I'm one person and I had a lot of things going on. The biggest being my job. I work for a consulting company now as a consultant. It's my job to go to clients anywhere in the country and provide a service. For the entire time that i was missing in Season 3, I was flying back and forth to Denver, CO. My schedule was Monday - Thursday. This left 1 weekday and the weekend to pack a week's worth of life into.

Having a g/f at the time and our own place, I had several other things that took priority over Hak5. If was going to do a segment for the show, I didn't want it to be ill prepared and rushed. Also, during that time, very little correspondence was made with me about the status of the show. I never heard anything about ideas that were being tossed around, direction for Hak5 as a whole, nothing. I had yielded myself to the fact that with my words spoken to Darren, and my general lack of availability, that I had been, for lack of better words, 'cut out'.

I am not placing all the blame of the communication break down on Darren or the rest of the crew. I take my fair share by admitting to the fact that I could have used some of my free time on the road to chime in on things, actively seek updates, and find or design good segments to bring to you, the fans.

I did tell Darren that I wanted to be an active part of Season 4. I thought that I could bring back the passion that I once had. I did start looking for new and exciting ideas for segments to bring to all of you. Then, I realized that I felt like I was being treated like a minion, not an equal. I didn't find out about the Rev3 partnership until they called me to go out to dinner so they could inform me. It wasn't an asking of opinion, it was "Hey, we're going to partner with Revision3! Isn't that awesome!" This was a big turning point in my frame of mind. There was no forewarning, no consultation, I had been shunned from the 'in crowd' as far as I saw it.

I have stated before that I have no problems with Hak5 partnering with Revision3. I do think that it will provide them with great opportunities. That, coupled with not having to worry about encoding, web hosting, bandwidth, or a lot of the other back-of-house processes, should give them ability to constantly provide you with the weekly serving of TechnoLust.

With the drastic changes happening to Hak5 and my general frame of mind and unsettled opinion, I felt it best if I left. I would neither benefit the cast nor be doing the viewers any credit. The final catalyst for this was the fact that I had not been informed of the official press release date to make the partnership public. My twitter started blowing up with all the cast members making it public.

With all the turmoil going on anyway, I thought it would be the best time to leave. Both to keep the rumor mill from thinking that it was the partnership itself was my sole reason, and I thought that the exciting news of them working with Rev3 would over-shadow the news of my leaving. I thought that if things are going to change that largely, then a little more change wouldn't be bad. I did try to give Darren a little bit of a heads-up, but it was, by no means, the '2 week notice' that Darren made it seem that he deserved.

I thought that I made my public resignation very professional. Most people that read it to give me an opinion agreed that it was well written. Darren tried to rake me over the coals by picking out the line "...personal differences..." He thought that conveyed that we were at each others' throats and it was generally "unprofessional".

Yet, I find this section in a rather lengthy post by him, basically throwing me under the bus. Now, I ask you, who' showing the lack of professionalism. Some will argue that I'm no better for posting this reply, but sometimes, one cannot bite their tongue hard enough. If the prosecution asks a question during their examination, in a court of American law, it is free game for the defense to try and poke holes in it.

I still, in all honesty, wish them the best of luck in all future endeavors. I'm happy that a lot of people seem to enjoy the new format. However, I will not get thrown under the bus like that and not have something to say.

--Wess

My decision was mine

Well now. I wonder how long this will last before it gets deleted!

Lets see, the funniest thing about this is that I received a mini-lecture from Darren on professionalism about my resignation. How I should have given him "more notice". Well, maybe I should have, however, I'm not an employee. The whole idea of Hak5 was started as a partnership. Secondly, yes, I did mention that I was thinking about leaving Hak5 on our way to Shmoocon. I was getting burnt out. I'm one person and I had a lot of things going on. The biggest being my job. I work for a consulting company now as a consultant. It's my job to go to clients anywhere in the country and provide a service. For the entire time that i was missing in Season 3, I was flying back and forth to Denver, CO. My schedule was Monday - Thursday. This left 1 weekday and the weekend to pack a week's worth of life into.

Having a g/f at the time and our own place, I had several other things that took priority over Hak5. If was going to do a segment for the show, I didn't want it to be ill prepared and rushed. Also, during that time, very little correspondence was made with me about the status of the show. I never heard anything about ideas that were being tossed around, direction for Hak5 as a whole, nothing. I had yielded myself to the fact that with my words spoken to Darren, and my general lack of availability, that I had been, for lack of better words, 'cut out'.

I am not placing all the blame of the communication break down on Darren or the rest of the crew. I take my fair share by admitting to the fact that I could have used some of my free time on the road to chime in on things, actively seek updates, and find or design good segments to bring to you, the fans.

I did tell Darren that I wanted to be an active part of Season 4. I thought that I could bring back the passion that I once had. I did start looking for new and exciting ideas for segments to bring to all of you. Then, I realized that I felt like I was being treated like a minion, not an equal. I didn't find out about the Rev3 partnership until they called me to go out to dinner so they could inform me. It wasn't an asking of opinion, it was "Hey, we're going to partner with Revision3! Isn't that awesome!" This was a big turning point in my frame of mind. There was no forewarning, no consultation, I had been shunned from the 'in crowd' as far as I saw it.

I have stated before that I have no problems with Hak5 partnering with Revision3. I do think that it will provide them with great opportunities. That, coupled with not having to worry about encoding, web hosting, bandwidth, or a lot of the other back-of-house processes, should give them ability to constantly provide you with the weekly serving of TechnoLust.

With the drastic changes happening to Hak5 and my general frame of mind and unsettled opinion, I felt it best if I left. I would neither benefit the cast nor be doing the viewers any credit. The final catalyst for this was the fact that I had not been informed of the official press release date to make the partnership public. My twitter started blowing up with all the cast members making it public.

With all the turmoil going on anyway, I thought it would be the best time to leave. Both to keep the rumor mill from thinking that it was the partnership itself was my sole reason, and I thought that the exciting news of them working with Rev3 would over-shadow the news of my leaving. I thought that if things are going to change that largely, then a little more change wouldn't be bad. I did try to give Darren a little bit of a heads-up, but it was, by no means, the '2 week notice' that Darren made it seem that he deserved.

I thought that I made my public resignation very professional. Most people that read it to give me an opinion agreed that it was well written. Darren tried to rake me over the coals by picking out the line "...personal differences..." He thought that conveyed that we were at each others' throats and it was generally "unprofessional".

Yet, I find this section in a rather lengthy post by him, basically throwing me under the bus. Now, I ask you, who' showing the lack of professionalism. Some will argue that I'm no better for posting this reply, but sometimes, one cannot bite their tongue hard enough. If the prosecution asks a question during their examination, in a court of American law, it is free game for the defense to try and poke holes in it.

I still, in all honesty, wish them the best of luck in all future endeavors. I'm happy that a lot of people seem to enjoy the new format. However, I will not get thrown under the bus like that and not have something to say.

--Wess

My decision was mine

Doesn't matter if this post gets deleted, copy paste FTW! Good Luck WESS!

I have to say,it's sad things have coem to this, but at the same time, it's good to see more from both sides of the camp. I am glad Wess has come with his post, as it answers some of the questions people have had, as well as makes new ones. I don't want to dwell on anything negative though, as I think this thread has the potential to squash a lot of beef and mend all things Hak5, but mor eimportantly, your friendship.

Thing to remember is that before the two of you were co-hosts, you were friends.

With that said, hopefully at some point you two get together, hash it all out, and put it behind you, in what ever form that may be, I wish you all the best of luck with the directions you are all going in right now, and hope that your firendship can sustain and work things out for all involved. It would be a shame to see something you guys built together come to a zone where everyone, incuding the viewers who have come to have so much love for the show, feel like there is tension and unfinished business. I may not know any of you personally or have a relationship with you guys, but the fact that it is something the whole community is aware of, I feel like we are also a part of it and have our own attachment to all that is happening right now.

Best of luck Wess, hope you stick around and keep us up to date on your endeavors. Also best of luck to the rest of the crew with Rev3 and th enew format, and hope that you guys can work things out.

@Hak5

How long is your partnership with Revision3? Will they review your performance then determine if they want to keep you? Do you have plans in place for operating with out Revision3?

Now that Hak5 is in a partnership with Revision3 you will shoot two ~30min shows once a weekend resulting in four release shows a month. Previously Hak5 did one release a month. I know Revision3 is handling the downloads, ads etc. but I don't understand how that helps you be able to make three more shows a month. How are you able to research, learn , shoot and edit so much more now than previously?

Revision3 has a forum setup for the show so there are two forums and one wiki and two different communities (rev3 ppl and hak5 ppl as of now). Also I have not seen any official links on the Revision3 site to hak5.org, thus I see a high potential for forking. Where will the show notes be? There is a mini shows notes tab on the flash player page on the Revision3 site. On the Hak5 site there are wiki show notes that _can be_ more descriptive and detailed than the mini show notes. Centralizing the show notes seems logical. There are two forum posts for the new episode: http://revision3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22397 and http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9737. So there is a fork right there, same subject matter in two different places, different replies, and different communities. I see this as potential for causing hassle. If I want to talk about the show what forum to I use? I am registered with both.

.:Shout Outs:.

@ Harrison Holland

I really like the segments you did. It added to the “under ground feel”. I would like to see you do more segments in Hak5 or some other IPTV show. I thought you were in sploitcast, but isn't that podcast dead?

Well I can't personally speak for Harrison, but I will on the behalf of SploitCast. The podcast is still alive, well we just have been really slacking. By that I mean people have moved to different parts of the U.S. and gotten jobs in different places around the world and pretty much stay busy 24x7. However, hopefully in the next few weeks there will be a conference call, and get back to discussing security/tech issues soon.

Pretty much earnt heaps of respect there wess. I remember a sketch in season 1/2 where darren said he did it because he wanted to edit something other then his cat. If this is a true statement or not is not the point. The point is it would be a better show if hak5 went back to being tech not hd crap.

Also the moderation situation is fucked up in this forum. Mods fighting with mods is a fail. i pretty sure everyone now see what i said about snubs and her opinion but anyways fix the mods, fix the show everything will be sweet.

@Hak5

How long is your partnership with Revision3? Will they review your performance then determine if they want to keep you? Do you have plans in place for operating with out Revision3?

Now that Hak5 is in a partnership with Revision3 you will shoot two ~30min shows once a weekend resulting in four release shows a month. Previously Hak5 did one release a month. I know Revision3 is handling the downloads, ads etc. but I don't understand how that helps you be able to make three more shows a month. How are you able to research, learn , shoot and edit so much more now than previously?

Revision3 has a forum setup for the show so there are two forums and one wiki and two different communities (rev3 ppl and hak5 ppl as of now). Also I have not seen any official links on the Revision3 site to hak5.org, thus I see a high potential for forking. Where will the show notes be? There is a mini shows notes tab on the flash player page on the Revision3 site. On the Hak5 site there are wiki show notes that _can be_ more descriptive and detailed than the mini show notes. Centralizing the show notes seems logical. There are two forum posts for the new episode: http://revision3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22397 and http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9737. So there is a fork right there, same subject matter in two different places, different replies, and different communities. I see this as potential for causing hassle. If I want to talk about the show what forum to I use? I am registered with both.

Our partnership is guaranteed for a set amount of time, and we have clauses in our contracts for extensions.

The Season 3 mentality was more along the lines of "Well I guess we should shoot an episode" We were never really that enthused about shooting, simply because we were tired of the distribution, sales, and all the other crap that needed to go along with creating an episode. After signing with Revision3 it was like a 100 ton weight was lifted from our shoulders, and we can now focus on bringing engaging content to the show. We have a large number of episodes already planned out, and we're always getting feedback from members of the community. The response to feedback@hak5.org has been absolutely amazing.

We're going to maintain both communities. We're not going to force someone who's already signed up and an active member of Revision3 to join Hak5. We pimp the mintIRC and the forums here in the show, but people are free to be members of either community, or both. We'll be active on both sides, you can post wherever you like, we'll respond.

Matt

I swear it seems like people are on drugs or something lately. People act so small and petty, it's just crazy to think that they would even continue watching or show up on the forums when they seem to have so much hate towards everything. People, take the broom handle out of your buttox and breathe slow, deep breathes. In through the nose, out theough the mouth. In out. In, out. It will be ok. It will be ok...

Regardless of what happened in season 3, it's time to move on. I can't get my head around the constant bitching at the current crew tbh. If you don't like it then fuck off and find something else. Everyone is intitiled to an opinion but not to the right to non-stop question every decision they make. this will just lead to them say "well what's the fucking point of continuing". They try to meet the requests of the community but they are a single show, not an entire channel or programming. I just wish I lived close so I could get in and get my hands dirty to help. I for one appreciate the effort they make. I loved Wess's segments and any dispute between him,darren and the rest of the guys is their business. We don't need dicks turning this into Hollywood style gossip shit.

/end rant

YUCK!!! poor attitude by crew members.

snakey,

That's absolutely unfair. I don't think very many people understand, let alone appreciate, the effort it takes to run a full scale IPTV/Video Podcast like Hak5.

Matt made a very valid point. When it was just us trying to take care of everything (ie - webhosting, archive hosting, encoding, finding sponsors to keep the show going, etc.), it becomes a burdon. It feels more and more like work every time you go through the process. When you start losing your personal and social lives because your career/work life and something like Hak5 starts to take everything, it is a drag. That's where the "I guess we need to shoot something" attitude comes from.

I'm not casting stones right now. However, please think before you post. If you have constructive critisism, by all means, voice it to the cast. They'll listen and take it under consideration.

--Wess

Wess - nicely said, also thought despite the form of your resignation (and I thought it was quite diplomatic) it was sensible for you to give you side of things in this thread after Darrens post - more likely that this can be put to bed now rather than continue to fester. Hope you two can get it sorted it out between you. Must say I always thought Hak5 was a partnership between you , darren and paul as well. Thats quite often the problem with projects started for fun rather than as a business from day one - nothings written down about ownership and peoples personal relationships have a way of getting entangled in the project ;)

I had my first post write before I new the how the "live show" was going to turn out be a moderated IRC 'post you opinion'. So now that I know the issues brought up here http://slexy.org/view/s2a9Q1AScj will be replied by the Hak5 cast/crew and post in a public manner I request that the issues discussed here be merged into the reply. Doing so will give a unified official cast /crew reply to nearly all the community issues in a consolidated single location.

It's a combination of more people involved, less time wasted on business, post production, distribution, marketing, etc. It also really helps that we've perfected live-to-tape. For example, episode 402, a nearly 40 minute episode, was shot in 70 minutes on the same day as 401. That's not to say all episodes will be that easy to shoot, especially for things like the pineapple where you've got on-location stuff (yes, more locations this season), but you get the idea.

Also the moderation situation is fucked up in this forum. Mods fighting with mods is a fail. i pretty sure everyone now see what i said about snubs and her opinion but anyways fix the mods, fix the show everything will be sweet.

Everyone necessary has communicated on the subject and as far as I'm concerned it's resolved. Case closed, move along.

Our partnership is guaranteed for a set amount of time, and we have clauses in our contracts for extensions.

The Season 3 mentality was more along the lines of "Well I guess we should shoot an episode" We were never really that enthused about shooting, simply because we were tired of the distribution, sales, and all the other crap that needed to go along with creating an episode.

That's not to say we weren't gung-hu on the first two of season3, but yeah that third episode --the 1984 arcade documentary-- wasn't your typical Hak5 then the following show, 3x04: rock out with your cock out, probably didn't help. Though I really do think we brought it back with 3x06-9.

Everything Wess said is true and I'm glad we've both spoken on it now cause I feel the air is much clearer. Sorry I tossed ya under the failbus that was unprofessional. Guess we're both human. Wanna grab a beer? I've got a decent supply of Beck's ;)

pretty much most of the crew speak as if there doing us a favour and they really seem to not care about the community. They just seem to say "oh im putting so much time into it".

yes i know it takes heaps of effort to put a podcast together but it doesn't mean you can just treat the community like there privileged to watch it.

yes i know it takes heaps of effort to put a podcast together but it doesn't mean you can just treat the community like there privileged to watch it.

Oeps so true, so true.

Its just the other way around, they shut be privileged that the community is watching them.

Gerard