I'm bringing this to the Darrens and attention

CyberAssassin

I'm really surprised at all the hostility. I know I'm a noob to the show I mean I've only been watching since the beginning of season 3, but wow... you guys have no faith.

Give Darren a chance to <!--removed by scanning subsystem--> up before you flip out. J/K DK

BTW Darrren... I just want you to know that I feel the show is great, in fact in my opinion the segments became better as the show progressed, I like the little bit of polish you guys have been applying. I'm a mac nerd, so more segments about those of us on the other side would be great, I would love to work with you guys on anything your working on.

To all the rest of you.... chill out, and wait for Sept 8th.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how it would fit in with the show, but personally I would like to see more Windows 2003/2008 content, stuff you would use working in a wintel environment (which, face it kids, is going to be where 90% of us work or will end up). For instance I was recently tasked with going around and collecting service tags from a site full of Dells, but using some vbs scripting I was able to pull the service tags from the machines using WMI info. Stuff like this would balance out the linux-y hacker content. I know you and Matt are both wintel admins and I bet you have tricks up your sleeves that would open up the show to a different demographic.

VaKo, that's an awesome idea! I know the environments I work in are Windows-based.

Btw, could you point me in the direction of that script?

No it's more like this......

<snippage>

U R HERE

PS: I hope that's not a knock on InDigital because that show really hit a great stride right before going off air. It was one of my favorite shows on Revision3.

hahah interesting process there. But it sounds about right.

I suppose one has to remember (especially me! ;) ) that viewers to the show comprise of many different levels of expertise. So segments that I would consider dumbed down fluff are valid and necessary.

As stated before in my post, don't really have a problem with content on the show (although, getting a programmer in to do the odd segment would be nice. I liked Johns little php segments.It would be good to get that going again), as long as it stays varied. Some things I like some things I do not. But that's just me, another person may hate the things I like (wierdos). For example a segment on vbs scripting and 2003 server would make me commit seppuku, but for other people it would be quite interesting... you get my point.

Maybe you should implement a show poll for each episode on the download page, that would give you a better idea of how you're doing. Downloads (assuming you use this method) are not always the best way.

Me I generally rate your shows using the following scientific notation:

meh, awesome, awesomer, awesomerer, awesomererer.

As for the list of segments I like, I usually comment on the show thread.

Just, don't do to many of them ;)

This is just me saying: 'hey you, read my mind and only produce segments that I like.'. Perfectly reasonable.

Just remember, most, if not all of the people who have taken time to comment on this thread love the show and the crew. I hope you guys aren't taking this stuff to heart. ah.. of course you're not :)

p.s

As for InDigital. Nah, it wasn't a knock, I just used them as an example to illustrate one of the ways a show could go. Wasn't criticizing them in the slightest in that post.

p.p.s

InDigital did bore me to tears though. See that was a knock. :) No, but seriously ( I can be serious, honest) different strokes for different folks.

p.p.p.s

mmm noodles.

I watched Season 1 Ep 1 and then watched Some of Season 3, the show has come a long way since its beginnings - I think as long as the crew keep pumping out the Tech I'll keep watching.

Just don't go the way PurePwnage did and remember your roots, don't get too 'trying to be commercial'. You've hit a good topic stick with it ;)

N.b. The Season 1 links (Particular: 1-4) return annoying Firefox errors about Null scripts. Take a look.

I just think we need to see what the new season will bring, yeah ok, Wess has gone there was good chemistry between Darren and Wess. I still think it will be ok it will have something for everyone, there is no way Darren and the rest can please all the people all the time.

The proof will be in the pudding as they say, as long as I learn something from the new shows I for one will be happy.

Darren and Matt, thank you for clearing a few things up. Wess will be missed, but in all, I'm still interested in seeing where the show will go from here.

As long as it keeps up the underground technolust, and doesn't turn into some AOTS or G4 repeat, we're good to go!

Btw, what ever happened to Evil Server? Was he finally dismantled? Just curious... You never know who's lurking on your network...

Evil Server is chillin out. Wait and see... :)

I agree. It's good to see how people have grown knowledge wise... viewers and crew.

I suppose has to remember (especially me! ;) ) that viewers to the show comprise of many different levels of expertise. So segments that I would consider dumbed down fluff are valid and necessary. Just, don't do to many of them ;)

The proof is in the puddin'

I'm one of those ppl who dont have that much experience with black hat/white hat stuff as the guys do. So I stick to the gaming segments and LAN parties :P Don't worry, I won't do too many of those...

one thing i dont seem to understand very well. people are claiming that hak5 is crap and that the community is dead yet all of you are still here

one thing i dont seem to understand very well. people are claiming that hak5 is crap and that the community is dead yet all of you are still here

Nobody is claiming Hak5 is shit. Nobody. Even people like me think it's not shit. The community is not dead, in fact, since I left it, it's thrived.

@Darren Thanks for the explanations, that cleared a ton up ;)

@Matt Kudos to your explanations!

Can't wait for 4x01!!!

First and foremost, I'd like to say I like having matt on the show. Hes got a great voice for TV and what to me, sounds like a radio voice. You guys need to have another Darren Vs Wess Deathmatch... Oh wait... Well, darren vs someone because that was awesome. The commentary was great and it just seemed like the best combination of booze, technolust, and guns. It doesn't get much better than that. I've found that while though I find myself fast forwarding a bit more since S1(ish), I still enjoy the monthly show, mainly because I can still giggle.

One of my favorite moments is still matt walking in on paul playing guitar hero and paul was like "I'm rockin out with my cock out." That one, although very very very VERY scripted, still makes me lol

Cheers to the future, the new hakhouse, the partnership with Rev3, and to season 4. Keep up the good work guys

Okay let me set a few things straight. Wess leaving is not the reason me and others have stopped watching. It's that the show has changed so much that its forgotten its roots and where it came from. Yes I realize show's will change over time, but you guys have changed so much that it just doesn't have that Technolust feel anymore. Matt I don't hate you don't get me wrong I just believe that you need to aim for you strengths and in most people's opinion(people that I've talked to) don't believe that hak5 is right for you. You have a great personality and have a great voice but some people believe that you don't have what it takes. You'd be better off doing something like Diggnation or an audio podcast. I'm sorry that I offended you Matt, I really am its just I don't believe that you have the drive that something like this requires. Yeah I realize that I don't know you, but some people can just tell that you don't have the drive like Darren does. Guy's it killed me inside to write what I did, I love Hak5, it's one of the greatest podcasts I've ever watched. I really am disappointed and saddened by the quality of the show and the segments. But I have decided to watch the first few shows of the new season, after that I will make my final decision. I hope you guys can impress me because I have very high standards for this show.

@CyberAssassin: You seem to know what it takes to create an IPTV show like hak5. Have you or the people you talk to ever produced a show like hak5? If so, please post the link. I'm sure we would all like to take a gander.

@Hak5 Team: Keep up the good work ;)

@CyberAssassin: You seem to know what it takes to create an IPTV show like hak5. Have you or the people you talk to ever produced a show like hak5? If so, please post the link. I'm sure we would all like to take a gander.

@Hak5 Team: Keep up the good work ;)

Mike seeing as you are new to hak5 and you don't really know what Hak5 was so you cant really argue either way, and no I haven't created an IPTV show before but I have helped people that have.

Mike seeing as you are new to hak5 and you don't really know what Hak5 was so you cant really argue either way, and no I haven't created an IPTV show before but I have helped people that have.

Low post count and recent join date do not translate to someone who may not have seen all the episodes(although I can see your point). There are probably a lot of viewers who never even join the forums or IRC and have seen all the episodes.

Im at work and don't have time to read everything everyone has written as its the beginning of term and kids need passwords changing. I have however read as far as Matts Post.

I came in part way S2 and was blown away by the show and thanked the lord i had something to watch while my girl watched all ten seasons of friends over and over (no offence meant if ur reading this babe i love friends to but need technolust!)

I think that you guys do a fantastic job. You guys don't have to do this you don't have to deal with the stress and worry and expernce of putting all this together. But you do because you have a passion to share your findings, experiences and technolust.

From watching Hak5 i have learned as much as i have in the 2.5 years i have worked in my job. For this im thankful. If this continues in any form, i am very very grateful.

Darren, Paul, Matt, Chris and all the other guys your doing a g8 job keep it up because ill be here in the cold damp UK watching eageraly to see how AWSOME the new season will be....

oh and ill be there at 3am in the morning UK time watching live when you do live show....

Thanks again.

I do have the luxury of an Iphone so watching on the go has been easy and I have been able to watch every episode. However, as I am still a noob to hak5 (certainly the forums) perhaps that doesn't afford me the right to "argue either way."

I work for a production company and I can assure you, a show like hak5 is no easy task. It might be a good idea to be magnanimous about criticizing a cast member or the show as a whole seeing as how they aren't being paid for it.

Regardless, I don't mean to turn this forum into a downward spiral of insults and indignation.

All I'm saying is give Matt a break.

I'm one of those ppl who dont have that much experience with black hat/white hat stuff as the guys do. So I stick to the gaming segments and LAN parties :P Don't worry, I won't do too many of those...

I reserve the right to mock any World of Warcraft segments (wizards, goblins and the like) mercilessly. ;)

/me puts on his robe and wizard hat

gaming segments ftw lol.

Low post count does not equal n00b.

Yah it does! Means not enough contribution :D

or perhaps means no spam? :P