I'm bringing this to the Darrens and attention

CyberAssassin

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier in this forum he said that he was new (he said noob) to hak5.

that doesnt deny him the right to state his opinion.

and if he is a noob to hak5 then he knows what hak5 is now. he doesnt have to know what it once was in order to know its good. therefore he feels that hak5 the way it is is a good iptv show.

this entire discussion is all about different opinions. it doesnt matter weather 5 people feel one way about something or 6,602,224,175 feel the same way. its still just an opinion regardless of how many people share it.

if you feel hak5 is declining and is not what it once was then thats your opinion and your entitled to it. however change how i feel about it. i will still continue to watch and enjoy it completely ignoring your opinion of it.

i know you werent trying to change my opinion of it. thats not why im saying its not changing my opinion. this is more of a message to others that your opinion should not change theirs.

The couch gave the show it's relaxed feel, now with the idea of a "studio" the show has become serious, and kinda lost it's appeal for me.

That's fine by me Tom I truly see your point and unfortunately we got better on camera, figured out video production and took it more seriously. I'm still as passionate about the show, the content and the community but yes the lights and lenses got better.

However, I must point out that the couch was only seen briefly in 1x01 and from then on we had a set (though it was just a poster on the wall to begin with) that eventually evolved into a bigger set + a homegrown production studio in a coffin case.

And come on, how is this not homegrown hacker badass?

2394470912_2a02e04af6.jpg

All I can say is WOW! I am as huge a fan of Wess as anyone and it sucks that he is going but I will not abandon a show I have watched since its third episode. Season 2 cops alot of flack and I quite liked it. I think we can all agree Season 3 fell off but big deal. Nobody and nothing is awesome all the time (except Slackware lol). I can't put into words how much I realy wish that Season 4 goes great for Darren and crew AND the fans.

This is something we are be given for FREE. Seems to me there is no grattitude these days. I can't understand why anyone who hates the show so much and is adament about it's suckiness, would wan't to even post on the forum in the first place. I say get off their back and let them get on with the show. I am looking foward to season 4.

.:Shout Outs:.

I know some of these people will not see these comments. I hope they do because it is expressing my feelings and gratitude for their contributions to the show. Darren If you could pass them on to respective recipient I would be thankful (seriously they deserve credit, appreciation and thanks. Confirmation of it being sent would be nice.). Think I got every one.

@ Harrison Holland

I really like the segments you did. It added to the “under ground feel”. I would like to see you do more segments in Hak5 or some other IPTV show. I thought you were in sploitcast, but isn't that podcast dead?

@ Jonathan Goldsboro

DUDE that RSS alarm clock was awesome! I enjoyed how you brought code to the show. Sadly I don't think there has ever been code on the show since then. I would like to see you do more segments on Hak5 or other interment media.

@ Wess Tobler

I like some of your mods/hardware segments. I had the feeling that you really didn't know what you were doing half the time, but I see you have gotten better. You inspired me spay paint my keyboard and I even swapped out the green LED's for bright blue ones. Also your MEME arcade cab segments was a help and another inspiration for a father son bonding project of building our own cab. I think one of your best segments was the solar robotics mouse. It was well shot, good content and showed your good nature for the community and modding.

I am sad to see you leave. I know from talking to you in IRC that your job is very life consuming. As for other reasons of leaving I do not know if there actually are but I believe I can understand. I hope to see you in a segment here or there on Hak5 and look forward to seeing you in any solo project than you do.

@ Alli Buehring

It was nice to have you around. I know you didn't contribute much to the show but it help the flow and made it more rounded. Good luck with your life.

@ Rob Fuller

Thou art elite and thous has proof. You had good segments back in the day and I am looking forward to seeing you in S04.

@ Jenn Cutter

Glad to see you could make it down to Virgina to do some segments and show up on the DVD. Good luck with life and Open Alpha.

@ Ashley Witt

Thanks for making the original Theme music. It was good, fresh upbeat for a show like Hak5. I enjoyed talking to you in IRC and learning about your life. It would be nice if you could stop by some time.

@ Pronobozo

Thanks for the music too. I don't see you much in IRC.

@ Paul Tobias

I see you as the technical back end of the show, running all the cables, mics, cameras, switching and so forth. You are a true keystone of the show. Thank you for your contributions in that light. You had some good detailed content segments. Hopefully you will continue with them.

@ Matt Lestock and Chris Gerling

Well thanks for working on the show. You guys showed up in S03 and the live shows which was the time where I dropped out from paying much attention to the shows even though I watch most of them. I don't know how you guys actually came into Hak5, but uh... keep it up. Chris I would like to see some crypto and networking segments pulling from your Navy experience.

@ Shannon Morse

I hope that you are not a token female and not there to fill in for missing Alli, :-/ . By that I wish you proved some thing to the show. .... err .... yeah, welcome aboard.

@ Other female, if applicable

see above

.:My Histroy with Hak5:.

I have been watching Hak5 since about S01x05 or so. Coming from The Broken and Systm to Hak5 was amazing. I was truly blow away by the content and feel of the show. I was very eager to come home from school on the fifth of every month to watch the show. I would turn on my computer, put VLC into full screen and crawl into bed and watch the goodness.

Season one was rocking awesome goodness. The whole cast put together a great season. I really liked Harrison and Jonathan, what they brought to the show and I miss them dearly. The code and on site shoots were the best in my option. The skits were nice. They were really funny and “added to the under ground feel”, however the show needs tech and other content can come later so, as I do miss them, I don't see skits as a necessity for the show.

Season two was good too, a little hit and miss. I liked the shmoocon and synergy episode. I wasn't too sure about this Paul guy. I mean where did he come from and why is he here? The look changed but the content was still fairly good. The show now had an official set and not the scrubby low budget set but thats cool.

In between season two and three was when I got really into the IRC community. I kept seeing the mad props about IRC so I finally decided to getting to it, although I think I was in IRC some time before then. For an anecdote, because of Hak5 IRC I was introduced to the concept of tech help in IRC and now I am daily on IRC in various freenode channels. This was when live shows were being test, running straight from their home! I even did a skype call in. I remember watching them test the setcam/housecam when they were still in their apartment. I really felt a part of the community being in IRC and literally watching and talking the crew, seeing them move in to their house. The show was evolving before my eyes.

Season three is when I tuned out from IPTV in general. I did watch the shows and other IPTV shows out there but my dedication and anticipation for new episodes of Hak5 died. A lot of the shows content is not applicable to me, past and current. I lack most of the hardware and networking knowledge, however I finally got wifi two months ago. The audio and video quality became much better, which makes seeing things in better detail. I was unsure about the new faces, Matt and Chris. Part of me thought they were spoused to be a Harrison and Jonathan replacement. I still don't know where they came from.

.:My Thoughts:.

Nearly all independent tech IPTV shows have died or stopped. Examples of such shows include StepOne, From The Shadows, Packet Sniffer, Hack TV/Bin-Rev TV, Techcenteric, Hackcom, Poor Boys, Digital Underground. The only independent tech IPTV shows that have withstood the test of time and continue are BSOD and Hak5. It is truly profound that Hak5 has been going on for over three years and has achieved so much through hard painful work and sacrifice. To that I thank all the crew, past and present, that have contributed to the show.

I know the community has done its fair share in helping Hak5 develop and grow. The wiki was edited substantially by viewers. Ashley Witt also made some significant contributions to it. Getting the layout to look right on different browsers was a nightmare. Who did the current site and how it got to the point it is today I do not know whether it was community or Hak5 cast. I know the IRC channel (#hak5) has been run basically by the community. I don't know how the forums have been run, but I' m guessing that it is nearly all community maintained. I have vague memories of a R&D group and I don't know what happened to it.

That being said here comes the Revision3 stuff.

I don't understand how this "partnership" is working. In fact Hak5, what is the best way to call the relation between Revision3 and yourself? I will refer to it as a partnership.

AFAIK Hak5 stays Hak5, no censorship, rev3 doesn't say what to cover, Darren does the editing then ships it off to rev3, rev3 does all the encoding, rev3 handles the download hosting, rev3 manages the advertisement. Correct? Is there anything else to be added?

I am suppressed that nobody has mentioned the _MONEY_ in this situation. Revision3 is a for profit company. They make money off of ads in the shows which fully supports the company. To my knowledge, Hak5 has never been able to brake even with the ads in their shows and the viewer donations. So who is getting the financial benefit from the partnership? Hak5 used have Dream Host and Go Daddy ads, now they have supplied Revision3 ads. Is Hak5 still get same amount of money for ads or Is Hak5 getting more income now because they are with Revision3? How is the monetization working? Is it based on the number of downloads? Moving Hak5 to Revision3 is going to bring a whole lot more viewers, more downloads and more money. But who is getting the better deal? I doubt the deal is 50/50. As I said above the community help keep hak5 going but now Revision3 will be making profit off of the labor of the community, to some extent. Hak5 has said they are moving to HD but is Revision3 giving Hak5 HD equipment let alone any equipment? I don't think they are but why would they not? I thought all Revision3 shows were in HD, certify viewers want to see HD. Is it not in Revision3's best interest to have high quality audio/visual content on their network? Are the old shows, live shows and skits going to be hosted on Revision3? As with other shows that have moved onto Revision3 I doubt they will be. The visually quality is not up to par with the other Revision3 shows, but will they still link to them?

So what is Hak5 getting out of this? They don't have to pay for download hosting and they will be getting more viewers. Hak5 will be saving money and earning more money. Is Hak5 going to break even now and use the "profit" money to buy their HD equipment. Eventually will Hak5 be raking in the money so much that it will be going to their personal lives to be spent on non Hak5/Revision3 things? Then the show becomes a job not a hobby, which would lead to better content one would hope.

[tad extream here :rolleyes: ]

If you guys will be or are now raking it in are you going to write checks to the past cast members? Hey what about the major community members who have helped? What do both deserve? They helped build the foundation of Hak5 which lead to the partnership with Revision3. Yes, I know throwing money at people who freely volunteer is not practical nor necessarily sane but a thank you and a gold star sticker really cannot fully encompass the gratitude they both rightfully deserve.

Looking at this move on the surface level it is a great change; same content if not better and high quality video and audio. Deep down is this ethical and good for the original community and former cast members? I don't know all the hidden truths if there are any nor do I believe any none Hak5 crew members knows.

Where can I find the Red Pill...

Like mirnyt above I came to Hak.5 from the broken (and others) yonks ago, but I haven't ever posted before, just skulked around watching the eps..

I love the show's homebrew feel. Too much slickness, particularly where there's products to be reviewed (and better still hacked), would stink of shill and stop me watching. Although if Shannon could read the script beforehand that wouldn't hurt :-)

The departure of Wess was a bummer (we'll miss you) as is the arrival of rakes of adverts. Bandwidth's gotta be paid for somehow though, and life goes on.

Keep doing what you do, there seems to be enough feeling in these 60 posts to indicate many folks still like the show.

My only suggestion would be give us more hacky goodness and less darned adverts (I'm only jealous - I've never had a beer sponsor) and I'll keep watching as long as you keep making. Thanks for a great show.

mrynit:

it's a true shame that any chick who decides to do podcasting has to 'prove themselves' and is first considered a 'token female' before anything else. too bad i'm not a guy and could just walk on and say 'i do IT' and already have that respect.

mrynit:

it's a true shame that any chick who decides to do podcasting has to 'prove themselves' and is first considered a 'token female' before anything else. too bad i'm not a guy and could just walk on and say 'i do IT' and already have that respect.

your a gamer lol. thats more than enough for me to hear. id say your a welcome addition to the crew

mrynit:

That's because there are a lot of scene whores about, hell most women you seen in IRC channels are scene whores, that is why they need to prove themselves. I have a lot of respect for Ladyada and a few other women in the "scene".

A label typically assigned to female irc users, who lurk about technical channels/forums (#hackphreak, for example (NOT!!!)), although are completely uninterested in computer related topics, and are totally, absofuckinglutely lacking in ANY skill other than the ability to completely whore up a channel with "Hi hi!! ;);) *kisses*", etc. Scene whores often keep blogs in which they write about their totally interesting lives, and post grainy, poor quality pictures of themselves pouting at a webcam. Scene whores are often lonely, unattractive, socially inept, half-wits, who’s only chance at getting attention from the opposite sex is by talking with lonelier, more unattractive, more socially inept + desperate males (i.e. a typical #hackphreak user). A scene whore is easily spotted sporting a name which combines both their gender and an operating system they've never even used.

freebsdgirl, geekgrl, unixgirl, unixbabe, etc etc.

That's because there are a lot of scene whores about, hell most women you seen in IRC channels are scene whores, that is why they need to prove themselves. I have a lot of respect for Ladyada and a few other women in the "scene".

Can't we all just get along?

Can't we all just get a laugh out of the title, "How can I pwn thee, let me count the ways."

I would welcome anyone who picks up a laptop and simply wants to learn and explorer. I mean when it comes right down to it, isn't that why we're all here? To explore the unknown, to push the evelope of what is possible, and what is not.

Anyway thats enough of my proselytizing.

TRUST YOUR TECHNOLUST

Can't we all just get along?

Can't we all just get a laugh out of the title, "How can I pwn thee, let me count the ways."

I would welcome anyone who picks up a laptop and simply wants to learn and explorer. I mean when it comes right down to it, isn't that why we're all here? To explore the unknown, to push the evelope of what is possible, and what is not.

Anyway thats enough of my proselytizing.

TRUST YOUR TECHNOLUST

I'm not here to learn, I never was. I come here to laugh and through force of habit. I learn from books, papers, experimenting and through talking and bouncing ideas off people.

I'm not here to learn, I never was. I come here to laugh and through force of habit. I learn from books, papers, experimenting and through talking and bouncing ideas off people.

Ahh I see well I guess some of us never stop learning ;-D

@ Shannon Morse

I hope that you are not a token female and not there to fill in for missing Alli, :-/ . By that I wish you proved some thing to the show. .... err .... yeah, welcome aboard.

@ Other female, if applicable

see above

From "Other female"

Hi guys, I'm Christine, aka: musicalpigs. I have introduced myself to some of you, but it's clear that most people have no idea who I am! mrynit, I agree with Shannon that it's a shame that someone should have to "prove" themselves simply because they are a woman, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that's not quite what you meant.

To all the loyal fans that have been with Hak5 since 1x01: it's very normal to wonder about a new cast members background and what they will be contributing to the show. To the Hak5 crew: I greatly appreciate this opportunity to participate as cast on your show.

Now about me: I have many, many, many interests. A lot of them are computer related, and many of them aren't. I hope to bring a more "well rounded" point of view to this show. (Please don't dissect that last sentence btw) I have spent time coding in C++, designing Databases, and mainly just exploring many things from Java to Ajax, to gaming. I have experience as a QA Analyst, and learned a lot during my time at that company. However, I'm a very free spirit, and am always looking forward to something new. I'm very excited about this season of Hak5 and look forward to learning as much as I can, while hopefully passing on my knowledge as well.

~"The other female"

From "Other female"

Hi guys, I'm Christine, aka: musicalpigs. I have introduced myself to some of you, but it's clear that most people have no idea who I am! mrynit, I agree with Shannon that it's a shame that someone should have to "prove" themselves simply because they are a woman, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that's not quite what you meant.

To all the loyal fans that have been with Hak5 since 1x01: it's very normal to wonder about a new cast members background and what they will be contributing to the show. To the Hak5 crew: I greatly appreciate this opportunity to participate as cast on your show.

Now about me: I have many, many, many interests. A lot of them are computer related, and many of them aren't. I hope to bring a more "well rounded" point of view to this show. (Please don't dissect that last sentence btw) I have spent time coding in C++, designing Databases, and mainly just exploring many things from Java to Ajax, to gaming. I have experience as a QA Analyst, and learned a lot during my time at that company. However, I'm a very free spirit, and am always looking forward to something new. I'm very excited about this season of Hak5 and look forward to learning as much as I can, while hopefully passing on my knowledge as well.

~"The other female"

wondered why i couldnt find musical pigs. you werent registered lol

Yea Metatron, I've definetly seen my fair share of scene whores... There's a lot of those out there. And they know they can get whatever they want cuz there aren't a lot of girls in the comp genre.

Yea Metatron, I've definetly seen my fair share of scene whores... There's a lot of those out there. And they know they can get whatever they want cuz there aren't a lot of girls in the comp genre.

that depends on where you look

I got my wife into computers more than she already was and she is a regular in my local gaming communities IRC channel. Women being involved in our hobby who are genuinely interested and participate are to be applauded. The scene whores can DIAF but I wonder how many started as scene whores till the caught the bug?