I'm bringing this to the Darrens and attention

CyberAssassin

I could've sworn I posted another message in this thread, it seems to have mysteriously disappeared. Anyone shed some light?

Edit: It was in between Snubs and RogueHart, just up there, at least as far as I can tell. Seems it was deleted. With that mystery solved, I now have a new one - why?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could've sworn I posted another message in this thread, it seems to have mysteriously disappeared. Anyone shed some light?

Edit: It was in between Snubs and RogueHart, just up there, at least as far as I can tell. Seems it was deleted. With that mystery solved, I now have a new one - why?

The moderation logs say the last person to delete a post was Snubs...

The moderation logs say the last person to delete a post was Snubs...

Yeah, I already checked that, and the post number checks out too. Didn't think it was really necessary to say who it was, I just wanted to know why.

I for one don't believe women have to prove anything.

I take people who appear on the show as they are and any critisicm i have is based purely on the content of the segment.

After all these guys and gals are the ones who are putting in the effort to bring us the show and they're copping a lot of flak from people who believe they're owed something from the show for being such longtime fans.

True the fans bring credibility (to a certain extent) and popularity to the show that allows hak5 to talk turkey with the likes of revision3 etc.

But WTF seriously....fans just chill, give them all a chance...at the end of the day it's like any other form of media in a way...if ya don't like it switch it off or change channel.

Yeah, I already checked that, and the post number checks out too. Didn't think it was really necessary to say who it was, I just wanted to know why.

I'm uneasy with posts being deleted without giving a reason personally, especially posts of other moderators. But, there may well be a reason that makes perfect sense though.

I was going to wait for a reason why the post was deleted to decide whether I should post this, but considering the replies from VaKo and Famicoman, here it is:

Actually, y'know what? This is an appropriate thread so I'll say what I'm thinking. Last night on IRC there was a meeting in which members of the community expressed some concerns and the crew took those concerns on board. That's great for all involved, it made the community feel wanted and I should hope that it made the crew feel like we weren't just bitching for the sake of bitching.

Now, that said, one of the issues raised was that new cast members have joined the fun. That's just dandy, I've got no problem with that at all and I don't see why anyone else would either. The problem, however, is that we (the community) have been doing our thing, keeping the community chugging along, and suddenly someone who's pretty much just arrived in the scheme of things comes in and jumps right into the action with no warning or consultation.

We don't make a habit of deleting posts because we personally disagree with them, that's not how this forum works, at least as far as I've ever known it. I have nothing specific against Snubs but during recent conversations with her, she's seemed particularly defensive or brash, which is exactly the opposite to what I'd expect considering our attempts to settle the differences some of us may have diplomatically. Most of the cast are, to give them credit, really trying to work with us and I for one appreciate that.

My post was no more or less offensive than many of my others and the basic point of it was that I have no problem with either gender when it comes to interacting with them online, I treat everyone equally and if I have something to say then it's not because of your anatomy or the chemical makeup of your body, it's simply because I have something to say.

If we start removing posts we personally disagree with then we stiffle conversation and encourage everyone to tow the line. The fact that we don't censor posts is what I think makes this community great, we can take opposing viewpoints, for instance the disagreements over the show and community, discuss them and come up with something that works for everyone. And even if this doesn't happen, we still get to have a debate over it which in itself is cathartic. While I've been a moderator/admin on the forums thats the policy that I have used and expected the other moderators/admins to adhere to. If that is to be changed then we should probally discuss this but I belive that free speech is worth the occasional personal upsets that it brings.

As for my views on gender, its who you are, not what you are that I care about.

Quite agree, I see no reason to change the way things have been working, there have been few heated arguments and considering our general lack of intervention (and with that, promotion of debate) is taken into account. I like it this way and judging by the distinct lack of complaints it would appear that most others do too.

where have you been looking RougeHart? I mod a computer forum an last time we had a girl openly admit she was a girl she got harassed by the 15 year old Retard / Gamer crowd to the point I had to ban people.

mrynit:

it's a true shame that any chick who decides to do podcasting has to 'prove themselves' and is first considered a 'token female' before anything else. too bad i'm not a guy and could just walk on and say 'i do IT' and already have that respect.

LOL!! it was a typo! :D I thought "provide" but typed "proved".

@ Shannon Morse

I hope that you are not a token female and not there to fill in for missing Alli, :-/ . By that I wish you provide(<==what i ment to type) some thing to the show. .... err .... yeah, welcome aboard.

I find it sadly amusing that nearly no one bothered to mention the main point of my post, my thought of the Revision3 Hak5 partnership.

Quite agree, I see no reason to change the way things have been working, there have been few heated arguments and considering our general lack of intervention (and with that, promotion of debate) is taken into account. I like it this way and judging by the distinct lack of complaints it would appear that most others do too.

Well hopefully this forum will not end up a dictatorship now that rev3 is involved, not being able to talk about anything that comes to mind, even if it’s retarded.

Like "Which of these girls would give the best bj!?" lol

http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=685&hl=

Snubs may well be copping some grief because the perception of "Oh your in because you are darrens gf" is probably getting around. Who the fuck cares even if that is the case? She is contributing to a show we all love and that's what counts, not how she got there. My wife is getting nerdier by the day and I'm stoked. Plus my daughters all love computers too. Women+computers=win

Enough ranting and apolgies mrynit didn't mean to take from what you were trying to say.

mrynit, as you wanted answers, here they are.

Regarding Chris and I being harrison and Jon replacements, I'm not quite sure why on god's green earth people are still comparing this show to season 1. We get it, you all fell in love with the show back then, but as we've said, the show changes, things progress, and people move on. Let's go ahead and try and base the show on what it is PRESENTLY not what it was previously. If you don't like it, that sucks, perhaps you've moved on from the show more than you originally thought.

The current version of the forums, wiki, and web design were handled completely by Darren.

It's a partnership just like you said, we get paid based on how many people now watch the show in addition to the different advertisers which we have on the show.

your point about encoding hosting and sales is 100% correct, that's all they do.

Money, yes it would ultimately be stupid of us not to try and make a dollar or two out of what we now do on a weekly basis. Much more now than ever before this has indeed become a job for us, and god willing will be our only job some day. Now we're no where near that point, but it's nice to dream!

To be honest, I really don't believe that it's anyone's business but those involved with the show to discuss financials. No we're not going to be millionaires, yes we're making a tad more than we were in season 3, but I honestly don't see how that's of anyone's concern.

Let's see, we're profiting off the community? Where on earth did you get that statement from? Do viewer supplied shows like mythbusters get this kind of flak I wonder? No revision3 has not given us any equipment or money for equipment, why? because we're still a separate entity. We're a show which still owns every bit of content we do, we just happen to release and promote the show a little differently now. It's completely up to us to ensure that we're producing the content, and any purchases of hardware to better the show still rely on ourselves.

Revision3 will be getting almost our entire back catalog for import, and yes old shows will be hosted on revision3

What are we getting out of this? Yes, we don't have to pay for bandwidth, yes, we still have to purchase our own equipment, will we be raking in money? I'm not a fortune teller, I can't answer that. Yes, this show right now is definitely a part time job that we all have.

Past cast members? no, we only get paid on new content we release since the date of signing with Rev3.

There are no hidden truths, I seriously wish people would stop with that crap already.

Anything else?

Matt

And my quote of "Money, yes it would ultimately be stupid of us not to try and make a dollar or two out of what we now do on a weekly basis. Much more now than ever before this has indeed become a job for us, and god willing will be our only job some day. Now we're no where near that point, but it's nice to dream!" is exactly that Vako

Matt

Thanks for the encouragement Vako, it honestly does mean alot.

And Swathe, I can understand 'some' of the concerns that people have, but I mean my god, we've had sponsors before, we're bringing 4 times the amount of show we previously have, so yes, we're putting alot of things on the line by this move. Hopefully in the end it will pay off for our viewers as well as ourselves.

Signing with Revision3 was a great move for us. It gives us the ability to focus solely on content creation and production. Without the headaches of sales / distribution / marketing, we really to feel that we're free to do what it is we're good at, which is bring you a show that you as well as we can be proud of.

I understand that some of the 'elite' viewers feel left out by all of this, but as in life, everything changes, most will enjoy them, some well, some won't, and we're prepared for and understand that.

Matt

I think Matt has pretty much said it all here. We're not whoring you guys out for profit. Personally, if I start getting a check from Darren for each episode, 100% of it is going back into the show to buy equipment/gadgets/software for segments, or to pitch in towards building "Hak5" only machines for us to use on the sets instead of our own laptops/desktops.

If we're suddenly on mainstream TV and raking in millions of dollars, then I will obviously start enjoying the high life with the money, but until then, I could care less about depositing it at my bank.