Help! Define Technolust

Darren Kitchen

There's something missing from the new website layout. You'll probably notice at the very top right. It's whitespace and I need to fix it.

I thought it would be kind of cool to have a short, elegant, somewhat romantic definition of technolust in that space. That's a hard thing to define as it changes from person to person and I'm afraid I'm unable to do it in 25-30 words. I could write a book...

Obviously I'm looking to use some pretty typography and I think it might come out really well. But I'm calling on you, the forums crew, the most hardcore 1% of the audience, to share with me your short, elegant, wonderful definition of technolust.

I've hit up the urban dictionary and wikipedia for help but neither capture the essence of technolust. both seem to think it's a purely physical attraction to sexy hardware, like cell phones or mp3 players. Sorry but thats not what we mean when we say it at the end of the show.

So, calling all hackers, I need your help!

well my version is as follows (fix spelling please)

technolust(n.)The phiscal attrachtion to technology which invloves one being almost magneticly attrackted to approch highly evolved technology to take a look at it. Hakdarren has Technolust when he has to stare at the new quad sli card with 512 meg rvideo ram.

technolust:

1.when you can't walk by a computer store without stopping in for a minute or two.

2. the fealing you get when you go on vacation and forget your computer.

3. what you feel when you touch things that run off of electricity.

4. when you can make the "Geek Squad" look bad.

I got some more, just ask.

An aspiration that often produces a intense or unrestrained gravitational pull towards all technological advances man kind produces.

I actully agree its less magnetic and more gravitatinal, but nice touch with the pronouniatino key ther lol, it seams like we are gonna have hak5.org/defintions

and its liek

noob-one who is new at soemhtign and usualy anoying. and stuff leik that. mAybe in the wikikk next to the FAQ we have deffintions for those less tehcsavy

Technolust: An appreciation or affection for technology that runs so deep that it becomes difficult for someone with Technolust to refocus their attention on other, less fascinating things, such as socializing, cleaning ones room or sleeping.

technolust:

1.when you can't walk by a computer store without stopping in for a minute or two.

2. the fealing you get when you go on vacation and forget your computer.

3. what you feel when you touch things that run off of electricity.

4. when you can make the "Geek Squad" look bad.

I got some more, just ask.

I like something like nate's only make it sad insted of funny; if that makes sence.

Also i don't think it should be about being physically attracted to hardware, but thats just me.

technolust:

I like something like nate's only make it sad insted of funny; if that makes sence.

Also i don't think it should be about being physically attracted to hardware' date=' but thats just me.[/quote']

racist.

Which pronunciation guide is that? It looks kind of like COD, but technolust in COD would be t?k'n?l?st rather that t?k'nó l?st, wouldn't it? Actually I'm not sure if that apostrophe is required, to me "no" doesn't sound like it has any more stress than "tech". To me it seems more like t?kn?'l?st

I prefer IPA anyway in which I would say it is t?kno'l?st.

Least interesting post ever? You decide...

• 1 month later...

I get excited thinking about the cool things I could do with new hardware. I get excited thinking about the fun I could have with large amounts of old hardware. I get excited about Open Document Formats. I love it when I find a really handy keyboard shortcut. I love it when I find a piece of freeware that does exactly what I want.

I use computers in analogies when explaining things to people. I work with 5 people whose lives are dedicated to computing, and even they call me a geek. I get irritated by the Windows installer taking an hour to complete and asking me questions every 5 minutes. I love how a Linux installer will spend 5 minutes asking me questions, and then sit quietly in the corner for an hour.

I love it when software isn’t needlessly complex. I hate it when software is ‘too’ user friendly. I love the feeling of slotting a new piece of hardware into an old system. I hate it when I have to use some-one else’s keyboard. I hate it when I can only have up to a 10 character password.

I love looking at hardware that I can’t afford. I love making my old hardware the best it can be. I hate people who buy the latest hardware, but don’t use it to it’s full potential. I love Google. I hate people who can’t seem to use Google. I hate people who can’t use their initiative.

I can’t help looking at how a network is configured. I can’t help exploring. I can’t help but smile when a piece of code just works. I can’t help but grab the mouse or keyboard when someone is trying to type something at 7 WPM.

I love to solve problems. I love to learn. I love to help people, and I love to help people help themselves. I hate it when people act stupid. I love it when I’ve just freed up a few more gigabytes of hard disk space.

I've got the technolust.