General modules Discussion

bolus

Looking at the modules available already, what's the correct way to add them to my Nano running firmware 1.0.1? I'm new to Pineapple, and whilst I'm learning how it all works, some of them look as if they'd be really useful- at the moment Cabinet looks very useful. Do I grab the necessary files from Github and drop them into a specific folder on the Nano, or is there more to it than that?

Cheers.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the modules available already, what's the correct way to add them to my Nano running firmware 1.0.1? I'm new to Pineapple, and whilst I'm learning how it all works, some of them look as if they'd be really useful- at the moment Cabinet looks very useful. Do I grab the necessary files from Github and drop them into a specific folder on the Nano, or is there more to it than that?

Cheers.

Wondering the same thing :(

As already said, modules already ported can't be installed on the NANO for the moment as the nano hasn't been released for general consumption yet, it's in the dev kit launch phase. The modules will be available then in the Modules Manager on the NANO.

Edited by Whistle Master

As already said, modules already ported can't be installed on the NANO for the moment as the nano hasn't been released for general consumption yet, it's in the dev kit launch phase. The modules will be available then in the Modules Manager on the NANO.

How do you and other coders have modules then? It's not like by teaching us how to copy and paste we become superior :3 It's just a friendly question. Dev-kit or not, shouldnt prevent the use of modules.

How do you and other coders have modules then? It's not like by teaching us how to copy and paste we become superior :3 It's just a friendly question. Dev-kit or not, shouldnt prevent the use of modules.

You are right - and it does not. Module Developers have gotten early access to the device and are coding them up. They could share (and some have) their code, which can then be copied into the /pineapple/modules folder, but not everyone chooses to do that (because they may not be ready for that yet, or depend on features not yet released to the public).

An update will be out this week which should include the Module Manager. Then it will just be a short matter of time for developers to submit their modules to us and for us to make them available.

Once that is done, I'm going to have time to publish documentation for other developers to start creating modules.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

• Upvote 3

You are right - and it does not. Module Developers have gotten early access to the device and are coding them up. They could share (and some have) their code, which can then be copied into the /pineapple/modules folder, but not everyone chooses to do that (because they may not be ready for that yet, or depend on features not yet released to the public).

An update will be out this week which should include the Module Manager. Then it will just be a short matter of time for developers to submit their modules to us and for us to make them available.

Once that is done, I'm going to have time to publish documentation for other developers to start creating modules.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Cheers Seb, I can wait for the FW release, I was just wondering where I'd drop the modules via command line; just wanting to learn how the Nano ticks

I did not want to be mean to you. That's said, modules are installed on /pineapple/modules/

And in the meantime, modules code available such as API Tokens can be downloaded and therefore installed in the path mentioned above.

Edited by Whistle Master
  • Upvote 1

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Really? This week? As in within 7 days? Can't wait.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

ETA? You said THIS week, and its sunday night for me :)

I just want to insist that devs don't have any obligations regarding the modules, neither any of us gave a release date. We provide them free of charge for the community, and we take time outside our full time job.

So yes we know that everybody is waiting but if you don't want to wait, you can developp your own modules and give them back to the community.

• Upvote 4

I have to agree with Whistle Master.

Additionally, the API has changed from previous versions of the MK. The new interface uses AngularJS and this is new for some as myself. We are doing this for fun, to learn something new and at the same time give something back to the community.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

To put the modules in the USB it would take some configuration at the OpenWRT level, and then it would require you to update the module manager to reference the /USB instead of /SD path. This I would consider the correct way.

You can try shortcut it, but getting openwrt to consider your usb as /sd. You'll have to do some research as I don't have the notes for doing this handy.