IceCold

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The EULA is a good reason not to bother with this:

http://tapthehive.com/discuss/This_Post_No...le_s_EULA_Sucks

11. Content license from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (B) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.

the point of chrome has nothting todo with the ui its all about the rendering engine

they have really done an awesome job

im using it now and it renders shit firefox had troble with its fast and very memmory eficanint

i mean they have set the new standard for web browsing technology

and dosent the system kinda remind you of unix/linux or am i wrong about that?

honestly i like it, if i had adblock-plus, i would consider switching.

I don't use it or plan to, but have gathered some info about the whole thing...

http://blogoscoped.com/google-chrome/

the comic book thing about it,

then in response to that this came about,

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/02/go..._comic_funnies/

Google's Comic Caper.....

the carpet bombing flaw, http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1843

in addition proof of concept, http://evilfingers.com/advisory/google_chrome_poc.php

Then the EULA sections 11.1 and 11.4

http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content, you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above licence.

This is great for everyone. I really put a lot of effort behind the whole Mozilla Phoenix, Firebird, Firefox campaign pre 1.0. I remember hosting a 1.0 release party and being so happy when Firefox became mainstream.

But since 3.0 I feel that Firefox (sorry Opera) hasn't really had a lot of mainstream competition. Sure Firefox 3 is an improvement over 2 but we really need some competition that's got some new ideas and that's exactly what Google is bringing to the table.

I think Chrome is really immature right now. I've played with it a little and it performs well. As a basic browser I like it. The interface is fresh and minimalistic, which I like, but it's too early to really compete with Firefox and all of it's extensions.

Under the hood though it looks neat. Just for fun fire up Firefox, IE, Opera and Chrome. Then in the Chrome address bar enter about:memory

Damn, that's sweet. Not only do you get memory usage for Chrome but also the other browsers. Now you can do some real benchmarking. In my totally nonscientific tests which basically come down to running my exensioned-up Firefox 3 and Chrome side-by-side on two Javascript hungry sites (gmail and facebook) Chrome wins in memory usage. It did however allocate more virtual memory headroom so who knows after hours of browsing if it leaks like FF did back in the day.

The really nice feature I think is that each individual tab in Chrome runs as its own separate PID. Maybe I'm out of touch and FF does this too now but AFAIK it's quite innovative. In theory, a nasty page wouldn't crash your whole browse, simply it's tab. Who knows.

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing more developments with Chrome. I expect this initial rollout to be one of those little blips like Google Talk where the media goes "Oh hey would you look at that" then it's gone the next day.

Agreed, I was being to harsh, on Chrome, just from what I was reading wanted to post the info...

I did say that I probably wouldn't use it, but I may change my mind as more love gets passed around in its community, agreed it is very simple/simplistic theme, and memory usage is pretty nice.

The really nice feature I think is that each individual tab in Chrome runs as its own separate PID. Maybe I'm out of touch and FF does this too now but AFAIK it's quite innovative. In theory, a nasty page wouldn't crash your whole browse, simply it's tab. Who knows.

Firefox doesn't do that at the moment, it runs everything in one process. The Firefox team has thought of doing it like Chrome does it, but they thought that it would take up too many resources. Maybe that's about to change? :)

I Personally think google is going too far. I never thought i'd say this, but im beginning to hate Google.

Yea I know what you mean, Google is a great search tool an a good webmail provider but I dont like the way they seem to be trying to take over your computer more an more. Kinda reminds me of real a few years back it tried to take over your computer update by update.

My first reaction to Google Chrome was one of defense. How could the browser I've known and loved for so many years, the one that's overcome the Evil Empire (MS) and supported by our loving search engine (Google) be treated this way. How could Google spin their own and expect me to love it as much as I do Firefox?

This is a very emotional reaction and is expected. We're only human after all. But once you think about it rationally it really makes a lot of sense. Sure it's not feature complete, but the foundation they've built... ...built on top of Mozilla and Webkit, is really a step ahead of the competition. And best of all it's open source so everyone will benefit from their efforts. The V8 javascript VM in particular is very freaking sweet. Anyone that comments in this thread should seriously read the Google on Google Chrome comic. Especially pages 36-38 http://blogoscoped.com/google-chrome/36

I still believe Google wants to make the Internet better (and sustain the company, make the shareholders happy, and all that fun corporate stuff you can't escape). But fundamentally what Google has done here and elsewhere is push towards a better Internet and I commend them for open sourcing Chrome. I just hope Mozilla can swallow their pride and adopt some of this code, the javascript VM and multi-process architecture in particular.

Once this thing is skinnable and has the extensions I need I'd consider it ready for prime time on my desktop. Until then I'll keep a watchful eye on this project and use it here and there for web application stuff.