NETWORK SETUP

DABIGHURT

This times 4 with me somewhere in the middle

Got about 57 (free Wifi internet acces) home's that connect to the internet (not counting the random users that are passing by with there hendheld (PDA) or laptop).

Gerard

Have you ever though about building a mesh network?. I experimented with building a fairly large one and i have to say you get a lot better coverage and quality of service over just using say four large sector antennas which I'm guessing is what your using.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wont bother with the pic.

i have a netgear wgt108 3 firewall router

2 computers downstairs with AMD Athlon XP's

my gaming computer, my media center, my laptop,2 xbox 360's, eee pc

• 7 months later...

I like what I see in here, some of you guys have some bloody hardcore setups.

Alas there can only be one winner and the prize goes to Pileofmush for getting a kinder gardener to design the topology. Bwahahahahahaha. sorry that was mean. XD

Ok so here is my topology

kbt-assingment.jpg

Ok not really my own setup but its my raugh diagram I am working on for a class assignment.

I will chuck my real setup on when I can be bothered removing a few details that should not be posted. XD

post-13546-1239984080_thumb.jpg

Pretty simple setup. My lab is located in our garage that was partitioned off to create another room. Cable internet gets dumped into a WRT54GS wireless router, from there it goes into a Netgear 24 port gigabit switch. Out of the switch, blue cables connect to 3 PCs and Xbox 360 in the rest of the house. Red cables connect to the 8 Compaq Evo SFF mini's in the bottom of the rack. These I use for various projects. One shelf is running replicated MySQL servers and an Oracle db server. The other shelf is running my file and print server. A couple spares left over. Above the monitor is a Dell 16 port KVM that I use for the Compaq minis. There is an unused Cisco Catalyst 2900 XL that used to be part of my cisco lab before I sold it. What you don't see is my main workstation area where there are four more systems and three laptops.

@donito - can you post a network diagram for your setup (or describe it) please?

EDIT - thanks donito for editing your post and including the information that I requested. I wondered what the 8 boxes at tbe bottom of the stack were.

@Siv: Arch <33

Here's my super awesome network...

&lt;INTERNET&gt; +++ [RCA CABLE MODEM] --- [NETGEAR RANGEMAX ROUTER] ~~~ {PS3}
                                          |               |
                                          |               |
                                          |               |
                            {MY PC - ARCH/WINXP}  {MOM'S PC - WINXP}

KEY:
-: 100MBPS ETHERNET
|: GIGABIT ETHERNET
~: 802.11g

I'll take a picture when I get home xD

LOL. CALL ME SIMPLE.

zzzWestell Wirespeed ADSL Modem ------[WRT54G V6-DDWRT Micro]
                                        |     ~ ~ ~      |
                                      My Pc   ~ ~ ~      Wife's Pc
                          Vista/7/Linux Mint  ~ ~  ~     Xp Media Center ed.
[key]                                        ~   ~   ~
z = wan/phone line                          ~     ~    ~
- = 100mb cat5                            ~       ~      ~
| = 100mb cat5                      My Laptop      ~    Wife's Laptop
~ = 54mbps wireless G               (vista 64bit)  ~    (Xp Pro/Acer One)
                                                   ~
                                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                              ~          ~
                                             Wii      Nintendo DS

I have never diagrammed my personal network but I might do it later just for kicks.

Here are the diagrams for a high end home automation job I am currently working on - this project is still in the planning stage so these diagrams are work-in-progress. Our final bid will actually contain several more diagrams. This about a 200-250K job all together, it also includes a fully automated lighting system, high end AV equipment and some other goodies that are not in these diagrams.

What is unique about this project is that its a retrofit in a poured cement house from the 80's. This means we can not run very many new cables. We are going to implement centralized HD media distribution using commercial grade HD QAM modulators.

In other words, we will have 3 media centers running in the central rack, and they will broadcast locally as if its a private cable network. This way we can distribute the media centers in HD to all 15 of the customers TV's using only the existing coaxial cable and the tuners built into the TV sets. We will be using a zwave based RTI system for remotes.

Visio-Server-rack-44u.jpg

Visio-External-Coax.jpg

Visio-Internall-Coax.jpg

Visio-Ethernet.jpg

hmm... good point dr0p!

well, I will say that though I think mine and your network setup just got super pwnd by everyone else's im sure it's safe to say our's cost a fraction of what theirs does...

Here's a tally total of mine:

Westell Wirespeed modem: $100 - $100 rebate when I first got it = $0

WRT54G: $55

(so in total my actual network itself cost ~ $55)

The rest of the story...

Wife: Dell XPS 240: $1700 (Dell Financial Loves Me Whoo!)

Acer Aspire One: $300 (Walmart Bebe!)

Nintendo DS: $150 (old skool ds . bought brand new)

Me: Desktop: Homebuilt Running total since orig. build: $1100 + shipping

Compaq Cq50-215 NR: $450 (post black fri. sale @ best buy w/2 yr gagsquad warranty)

Nintendo Wii: $250

Also forgot to include the printer in the topology...

Lexmark X6570 Wireless All-in-one InkJet: $135

Grand Total: $4140 w00t!

Well, here's my super long list...

Cable Modem - Rented From Comcast (not sure how much parents pay for it per month)

RangeMax Router - $60

My PC (custom build) - $650

Mom'S PC (again custom) - $400

PS3 - $400

Total: $1510.

Ok my setup is a lil funky due to the one phone line I have being located in the main house, all my main comp gear is located in another room, which is not a apart of the main house that I like to call the command center. Which is aprox 40 meters away from the main house (it was kind of an after thaught to move comp shit in when it was built and I am not allowed to run cables to the main house).

As for the cost, I have spent aprox $3000+ on my mcse and ccna lab setup which is all most completed, still another $200+ to spend.

All my other gear would have set me back around $5000+.

hak5top.jpg

THE LAB

rack005.jpg

Picture001-7.jpg

Picture002-6.jpg

Picture003-5.jpg

Picture004-4.jpg

My room/home networking gear

My 15dbi omni that has a 500mw signal booster attached to it so I can connect to my wireless AP in the main house.

Picture003.jpg

Picture007-1.jpg

Below is an old photo but, shit is by far more organized now.

Picture001-3.jpg

5ive: I must say I really <3 your network setup, I recall seeing it in another posting on here and was like WOW!

lol you must know your shit, after reading that job your working on half of it went over my head. XD

GCninja:

1: total cost aprox 9000 give or take. XD

2: If you are talking about that thing in the rack cabinet it aint a laptop, its a RKM (rack mounatable keyboard monitor). I have it hooked up to my server for easy of configuration. I plan on getting another server and a KVM switch down the track some time.

3: lol I already have children, they are displayed in the above pic's. XD

drawing1s.jpg

heres mine, 3 of the PC's were free, and one of them is an old "Hppav"

xbox's were about $40 a peice.

my pc was $800

the acer was $350

my Touch pro was $200

so in all, I have spent about $1430.

@donito - can you post a network diagram for your setup (or describe it) please?

EDIT - thanks donito for editing your post and including the information that I requested. I wondered what the 8 boxes at tbe bottom of the stack were.

No problem. yeah the compaq minis are Celeron 2 Ghz systems, basically a test bed for whatever projects come along.