NETWORK SETUP

DABIGHURT

Metatron: Nice choice of gateway routers, I was looking at the 1800 series until I saw the price tag for it and the adsl wic card.

]G-ram's servers look really nummy especially the Myth tv one, I so want one but I don't have a spare box for one at the moment. As for darkblue box kick ass setup mate.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right.

SKY 16mbps shite router upstairs

8 port dlink switch

4 port dlink switch

wireless acsess point in the downstairs

Modded blue xbox 360

nintendo wii downstairs

gaming computer

gaming laptop

laptop

dual screen pc

media pc

mac

dual xeon server

amd server

@shonen

Nice setup. What OS are you running on your EEEPC?

Thought I could borrow this thread for 1 millisecond.

I have a lot of network devices in my room accessing my network via Ethernet. But I don't want five cables running out of my room so I'm thinking about setting up a switch or a router of some kind inside my room which is connected to the router and the rest of my devices. Such as Xbox 360, server, slax PC, gaming PC etc.. So I'll just have one cable going out of the room.

I have a few old routers lying around, not OpenWRT compatible (sigh) and they havent got a bridging feature built in the standard firmware so I'll have to use the ethernet. What kind of cable do I need router to router and is it possible?

Thought I could borrow this thread for 1 millisecond.

I have a lot of network devices in my room accessing my network via Ethernet. But I don't want five cables running out of my room so I'm thinking about setting up a switch or a router of some kind inside my room which is connected to the router and the rest of my devices. Such as Xbox 360, server, slax PC, gaming PC etc.. So I'll just have one cable going out of the room.

I have a few old routers lying around, not OpenWRT compatible (sigh) and they havent got a bridging feature built in the standard firmware so I'll have to use the ethernet. What kind of cable do I need router to router and is it possible?

It is possible all you would need is a switch just run one standard cable from your router to a switch of your choice in your room and plug all your devices in to that switch.

Router to Router connection's would be cross over cable, however with most home gear these day's it really doesn't matter seeing as it has auto sensing (I forget the technical name for this) in any case to save extra headache use the correct cable.

I personally wouldn't use a router and go for the speed and no configuration of a switch, a switch forwards packets based on MAC address as where a Router does TCP/IP and has to do more processing (filters etc). But meh it shouldn't be noticeable on a home network.

If you have routers on hand you may as well go for the FREE solution. Just so ya know Router to switch would be connected via straight through cable.

If you were referring to the type as in grade of cable, purchase cat5e seeing as its cheaper than cat6 (well in Aus anyways) and will allow throughput of 10/100/1000 mbps. Reaching speeds of 1000mpbs will also depend on your router's, switches and network cards seeing as most only do 100mbps as a standard. Lastly if your port on the router is 100mbps and you have a switch into it obviously that 100mbps will be shared amongest all of your attached devices.

Get ready to laugh, My Asus EEE has xandros on it, I did a reinstall a couple of months back as a hold me over until I can be fucked putting fedora on it. But meh I barely use it now days so its just collecting dust.

Thanks for the replies!

Will configure this when I get home!. :)

This is my setup at my old job that I built from the bottom up. It is a virtual lab for remote access to learn how to pen test, engineer, manage, and operate a network. I modeled my lab at home off this one.

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

This is the full topology without the new ASA devices.

egroup_1egroup.jpeg

The following are devices you see per rack "A total of 6 of these racks":

2 x Cisco PIX 515E

2 x ASA 5510 Security Appliances

5 x Intel Dual Core servers with about 8GBs of RAM. (Running Virtual Server 2005, eeeeewwww, I know, I am trying to get them to change it to VMware or ESXi/ESX)

1 x Cisco 871 Access Router (VPN Access)

2 x Cisco Catalyst Switch 2960

1 x Cisco Switch 3550

2 x Cisco Routers 2811

1 x Cisco Router 1841

1 x Cisco 2511 Terminal Server

1 x Radius Server

I still have remote administrative access and help out when they really need the help. =)

*jaw drops to the floor* That my friend is fucking MAD!

Damn you configured all that yourself to boot, fuck me, I feel like such an ubber n00b. XD

Fantastic job and I have to ask, what is the rough price for all that equipment?

Not exactly sure but, our grant was over 1 million and we spent all of that, haha. That did include paying me and the director of it (horribly low I might add) to build it.

I want to do a revamp of how we are using the equipment. I think there is a lot more we can do with it.

If you ever come to the DC area. I can show it to you, also we could play with it a bit ;P.

i feel ashamed..all i got is 3 pc (xp,98,95) and labtop (xp,ubuntu)......i should just go hit myself with a flat screen =(

lmfao why waste a perfectly good flat pannel go for a CRT =P Besides you need something harder than a flat pannel for mentioning using windows 98,95!

After watchintg last weeks ep of hack.5 and finding the brief talk Matt gave very interesting, I did some research and decided to chuck ESXi on my Dell Power Edge 2650 (installing as we speak). From the reading I have done the shit looks pretty mint! XD

This is my setup at my old job that I built from the bottom up. It is a virtual lab for remote access to learn how to pen test, engineer, manage, and operate a network. I modeled my lab at home off this one.

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

This is the full topology without the new ASA devices.

egroup_1egroup.jpeg

The following are devices you see per rack "A total of 6 of these racks":

2 x Cisco PIX 515E

2 x ASA 5510 Security Appliances

5 x Intel Dual Core servers with about 8GBs of RAM. (Running Virtual Server 2005, eeeeewwww, I know, I am trying to get them to change it to VMware or ESXi/ESX)

1 x Cisco 871 Access Router (VPN Access)

2 x Cisco Catalyst Switch 2960

1 x Cisco Switch 3550

2 x Cisco Routers 2811

1 x Cisco Router 1841

1 x Cisco 2511 Terminal Server

1 x Radius Server

I still have remote administrative access and help out when they really need the help. =)

This looks awsome. If i had network like that I would just sit there and just look at it for weeks lol :)

netwerks.jpg

Pretty much my basic network at home.

Being lazy at work so couldnt be bothered labeling it.

Top left:

Thinkpads, x30 and T61 with XP

Desktop with Ubuntu and XP

+ Forgot to add, XBOX 360 Pro

Middle:

Linksys ADSL2+ Wireless Modem/Router

Small server to be put in there too soon

Netgear 24 port 10/100 switch

Right:

Netgear 8 port Gigabit switch

Modded XBOX (XBMC/Games)

XBOX 360 (Halo3 Edition)

Nice little 46" Plasma

Left Middle:

Desktop with XP

Bottom:

Vista/XP desktop (usually used as extra gaming PC for LANs

Thinkpad T60 and T42p running XP and Ubuntu Studio/Backtrack.

Netgear 8 port Gigabit switch

My main Vista box with VM'd XP (for IPX LAN games) and Ubuntu.

Modded XBOX

MVIX External HDD/Media Player

3477739460_cd1956c7dc.jpg

Changed the setup a bit, got a new desk on the left....

3490137036_9896eb71fc.jpg