Wifi Pineapple MK7 - 5Ghz

marckiuy

Hi, 

While I was looking how to enable my 5Ghz adapter on my WiFi Pineapple, i came across some posts asking for a video on it, 

I haven't done a video but while i was doing mine i did write a blog post with a step by step along with a quicker way to switch between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. 

I hope it helps if you've just got your adapter and looking for how to get it working. 

Blog Post

Hope it helps!

Marc

3 hours ago, marckiuy said:

Hi, 

While I was looking how to enable my 5Ghz adapter on my WiFi Pineapple, i came across some posts asking for a video on it, 

I haven't done a video but while i was doing mine i did write a blog post with a step by step along with a quicker way to switch between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. 

I hope it helps if you've just got your adapter and looking for how to get it working. 

Blog Post

Hope it helps!

Marc

Just for reference; I use the Aukey WF-R13 which is identical to the EP-AC1605 mentioned in the blog (if someone is looking for alternatives and can't wait for the MK7AC to be released).

13 hours ago, Jtyle6 said:

There's is a Hak5 wifi pineapple adaptor coming out soon.

I wouldn't have a link that is hidden by a link.

Do you know if its gonna be a plug and play or are we going to have to configure  it like we did on the one alfa card?

7 hours ago, Deuce022 said:

Do you know if its gonna be a plug and play or are we going to have to configure  it like we did on the one alfa card?

I'm not sure / member of staff... So I don't know.

9 hours ago, Deuce022 said:

From reading the tweet that Darren did, It looks like its going to be plug and play because the firmware update he referenced there will be an option to select an interface. 

Depends on the "plug and play" definition, but I agree to the assumption that the procedure will be: "attach hardware, upgrade firmware (if not already done) and run". I can't see that Hak5 would just offer a hardware module and not integrate it fully in the Mk7 "ecosystem".

I cannot wait for the adapter to come out, I will be buying 7 of them. I tried to do a lab with one of these pineapples for my students last week in my Pentesting class and wound up not having much success because all of our potential targets (other students who were made aware of our lab) were on 5ghz. I am also looking forward to the enterprise model.

I have 2 of the supported adapters and cannot get any of the 7 pineapples I have to recognize either of them.

28 minutes ago, jholbrookftl said:

I cannot wait for the adapter to come out, I will be buying 7 of them. I tried to do a lab with one of these pineapples for my students last week in my Pentesting class and wound up not having much success because all of our potential targets (other students who were made aware of our lab) were on 5ghz. I am also looking forward to the enterprise model.

I have 2 of the supported adapters and cannot get any of the 7 pineapples I have to recognize either of them.

can you show me a picture of the adapters you got i might be able to help

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 7:23 AM, chrizree said:

Depends on the "plug and play" definition, but I agree to the assumption that the procedure will be: "attach hardware, upgrade firmware (if not already done) and run". I can't see that Hak5 would just offer a hardware module and not integrate it fully in the Mk7 "ecosystem".

This is indeed the idea. As some of you who have tried the beta already know by now, the 1.1.0 firmware has a drop-down in the Networking settings that allows you to set a supported dual band adapter for the device.

On 5/30/2021 at 3:04 AM, jholbrookftl said:

thank you, I discovered that the one I had was not the correct adapter, even though it looked very much identical.

This is common, many people mistakenly buy the AWUS036AC (which has an unsupported RTL8812AU chipset) instead of the AWUS036ACM (which has the supported MT7612U chipset). The cases are identical except for an "M" logo on the top of the ACM.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a note on the EDUP adapters (EP-AC1605). I used to have two of those that broke down very quick. Basically the port on the adapter is somewhat fragile and it comes loose from the board quite easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have some experience with "usb-modeswitching" Mediatek USB Wifi devices from usb-storagemode (CD-ROM) to WLAN?

The 1.1.0 beta firmware does support usbmode, but I wonder if this is a configuration that has a chance of succeeding,

Basically and put very simple it needs to switch from 0e8d:2780 to 0e8d:7612. My Kali installation on a laptop does this without any issue and shows wwan1 being a MT7612U device.

21 minutes ago, Gabbellebab said:

Basically and put very simple it needs to switch from 0e8d:2780 to 0e8d:7612. My Kali installation on a laptop does this without any issue and shows wwan1 being a MT7612U device.

Try this buddy, sorry for copying and pasting my post from the discord but I'm out at the minute lol:

for anybody else who's got a shitty chinese clone thing that first shows up as a cdrom with device id "0e8d:2870" Mediatek Inc. simply opkg update, opkg install usb-modeswitch and then edit your \etc\usb-mode.json to lookie like dis:

{
    "messages" : [
        "5553424312345678000000000000061b004600000000000000000000000000",
],
"devices" : {
        "0e8d:2870": {
            "*": {
                "t_vendor": 3725,
                "t_product": [ 10352 ],
                "mode": "StandardEject",
                "msg": [ 0 ]
            }
        },
    }
}

Thanks a lot for your input!

I had already performed the update and the install, I just wasn't able to get  the json content right. Yours didn't seem to work, but then... one sometimes needs to reboot and voila wlan3 is there.

As the message you provided is already in the original usb-mode.json, I ended up with only adding a device:

"msg": [ 2 ]
                        }
                },

Using the original could prove helpful when attaching new devices that are already in there, otherwise I think it is wise to put no more in it then needed, from the point of required space space and processing time.

8 minutes ago, Gabbellebab said:

Thanks a lot for your input!

I had already performed the update and the install, I just wasn't able to get  the json content right. Yours didn't seem to work, but then... one sometimes needs to reboot and voila wlan3 is there.

As the message you provided is already in the original usb-mode.json, I ended up with only adding a device:

"msg": [ 2 ]
                        }
                },

Using the original could prove helpful when attaching new devices that are already in there, otherwise I think it is wise to put no more in it then needed, from the point of required space space and processing time.

Aye I copied the original to a . backup and then just made a new one with just the bit I needed.

Glad it got you up and running!

On 6/8/2021 at 8:25 PM, Foxtrot said:

This is indeed the idea. As some of you who have tried the beta already know by now, the 1.1.0 firmware has a drop-down in the Networking settings that allows you to set a supported dual band adapter for the device.

This is common, many people mistakenly buy the AWUS036AC (which has an unsupported RTL8812AU chipset) instead of the AWUS036ACM (which has the supported MT7612U chipset). The cases are identical except for an "M" logo on the top of the ACM.

yep it is very easy to do.

18 hours ago, PanicAcid said:

Aye I copied the original to a . backup and then just made a new one with just the bit I needed.

Glad it got you up and running!

Absolutely created a backup as well, but then 'worst case' scenario would be:

• Copy your own version to for example /root
  • opkg remove usb-modeswitch
  • opkg install usb-modeswitch
  • and the original is there again

@PanicAcidAs I like to know what I'm doing could you provide some info / link on how I could have retrieved the correct values for t_vendor and t_product myself? I have found articles on this concerning 3/4G modems (e.g Huawei) but I am not yet convinced that I understand why these values work for my adapters. Yes plural I have two, both branded differently, one Comfast the other 'non-branded'.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 6:55 PM, PanicAcid said:

Try this buddy, sorry for copying and pasting my post from the discord but I'm out at the minute lol:

for anybody else who's got a shitty chinese clone thing that first shows up as a cdrom with device id "0e8d:2870" Mediatek Inc. simply opkg update, opkg install usb-modeswitch and then edit your \etc\usb-mode.json to lookie like dis:

{
    "messages" : [
        "5553424312345678000000000000061b004600000000000000000000000000",
],
"devices" : {
                "msg": [ 0 ]
            }
        },
    }
}

Thanks!  This worked for me.  I was just about to send back my ULANSEN wifi adaptor back to amazon (Chinese clone)

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this the correct place to post.

Im on a fresh 1.1.0 beta 2021071418161. I purchased an awus036acm and I do have the ability to choose wlan3 in the recon device tab but it will not scan in 5ghz nor am I able to choose which frequency to scan with, ive read from another post that there is an option to choose frequencies but there is just no option for me only the scan toggle and time duration.  I have tried clearing browser cache. Id be thankful for some assistance.

Archived