What is your greatest technical achievement

Garda

I was thinking about this and thought you guys might have some amusing stories.

Mine would probably not really be anything amazing. Basically the most impressive thing is getting AES-loop to work with debian. It took about an hour, cos i'm dumb, then after getting it working i found a website with somebody who already had a patched kernel that you can easily just install with dpkg. :(

I have reapired a few 'dead' complex electronic devices (Tvs and what not). My gratest acheivment is probably how every thine in my room is interconnected in some way, and then (currently) interconnects with every other TV in the house so I can use my PVR any where in the house. Not that grate, but I dought any body else in my village has a setup this complex.

There is this really horrible iMac I have, and could not get it going online for a year or two. One night, I trouble shot the hell out of it and now it can browse online.

Setting up my HTTP server and BBS were kinda hard. Took a few hours to get it all configured.

Having Telephone, Cat5, and cable running into every room in the house took some work.

Making things run on batteries

Softmodding the XBOX (It was a big deal for me)

Fixing my PS2.

More to come.

I wrote a computing client that also had a bit of network support in C that contained no #ifdefs and would compile unchanged on something like 10 different platforms (Mac OSX, Linux, {Open,Net,Free}BSD, HP-UX HPPA, Solaris Sparc, Compaq Tru64, Windows, XBox, Plan9). I'm rather proud of that.

Ok, i just realised something less lame than the thing i mentioned before.

Every application i need i have on a usb stick. This includes Firefox, Thunderbird, putty, vlc, 7zip, gaim, a sega and SNES emulator, Lynx and a VNC client

It was for school but we weren't really helped : creating a kind of answearing machine that controls electronic switches via the phone, depending of with combination of numbers you press (it was programmed with a fpga).

While I've never achieved something as major as some of our other friends here, I've always been known to my friends as "The computer guy". And during my freshman year of college, I had people making appointments in order for me to fix their computers. In the first semester I had to have saved 30 or so laptops and the following semester around 20. Of course I never charged money for it but donations of the alcoholic nature were always welcome.

The reason why I believe it's a great achievement, for me anyway, was due to the fact that for every computer I fixed, I was thanked wholesomely. Just seeing people delighted that their computer was now usable made me quite content. Also, almost all of my clients were beautiful females. My handy-work got me a few dates.

Oh, I'm also the only person in my house who could set the time on the VCR (when we still had one), does that count?

Routeable audio to every room in my house.. also have cat5 running to every room.

I really want to computerise it.. with rfid... so that if you start watching something in one room on the tv/cd player / media centre... it moves around rooms with you... and supports more than one user at a time...

Never gonna have time for it... but still :P

Other achivement, having nothing on our network at work that i havnt had some hand in setting up.. *tis my baby :P*

and writeing a beskpoke content managed website for a radio station, learning php from scratch while doing it :P.. that was a while ago

The trail of massivly over spec'd networks i've persuaded landlords to install in the houses i've lived in? Cat6 to every room, wireless overlay, traffic filtering, dedicated torrent boxes, VPN servers... and all they wanted was something they could use to say "this house is broadband ready".

Then there was the site i built for a 30 people on my course this year. At christmass I knew nothing of webdesign, by april I was thinking in php.

Ok, i just realised something less lame than the thing i mentioned before.

Every application i need i have on a usb stick. This includes Firefox, Thunderbird, putty, vlc, 7zip, gaim, a sega and SNES emulator, Lynx and a VNC client

Um yeah, its called www.portableapps.com :)

Anyway, I haven't done much.. Kept all the computers in my house from breaking... Started a web server.. and now im learning linux.

I don't know about greatest, but i can remember my favourite.

I was given a 386 that wouldn't boot or do anything, and i managed to revive the half-dead dos installation and the completely dead 3.11 installation with no addition software nor tools.

doesn't sound like much but the only real computing experience i had at that point was my Vic-20 and the acorns at school. it was my first experience with an IBM pc and i loved it.

umm, no idea.. how about knowing HOW i could do almost everything with my computer but not doing it? it sucks! another reason why i've chosen to get further into hak.5. actually doing something. great people here.

well mines a number of things from opening a pc for the first time and learning myself what all the parts are to actually building them from scratch.

solving pc problems when friends ask me to fix there pcs that are full of viruses, spyware and crap.

learning html for the first time and understanding how code works in order to create things myself.

Setting up a webserver and being introduced to the world of linux on my ps2 LOL.

And the most important thing is, discovering the internet for the first time when I was like 14, my life changed at that point and I learned loads of things I never knew about which made me interested in pcs.