What IRC users didn't want to say here

manuel

I started watching from 11.19.08, and I gotta say that I'm more or less pleased with the show. A very long time ago, I tried watching an episode, and only made it a few minutes in because the production quality was so low. These issues are pretty much gone.

The biggest issue I can see is distancing from Systm. I only watched the show initially because Kevin Rose and Dan Huard were involved..., being a huge fan of theBroken. The cast of Systm is irrelevant to me, and every episode discusses subject matter that I'll never have access to (when will I ever be able to build a solar panel kit or acid etch a mother board - especially on a college budget). So I stopped watching.

So what can Hak5 do? (all suggestions, I don't necessarily want/need any of these from the show)

• Going software seems to be the best solution as Systm is more often hardware based.
  • When hardware is appropriate, try to make sure it's attainable.
  • Offer some sort of support line for the advanced stuff, using the forums as a lifeline when the cast can't figure it out.
  • Deeper more involved segments.
  • Keep Shannon. Despite all the hate on her, she's adorable and does her job well enough to appease. While she's not nearly as camera affluent as the ex-PopSiren girls, she can hold her own. I'm more impressed that the show even has a regular female that appears intelligent enough.
  • Keep the high viewer interaction. IRC, forums, LAN, Missile Laucher, yes yes yes yes! The show has covered so many bases, it might as well have it's own social network at this point.
  • There really feels like there is a Windows bias, as much as I'd hate to admit to it. I'm such a diehard Mac user that my System Administration job gave me a Mac Pro for my office and a Windows box to RDC to when I have to use Windows nonsense. This doesn't mean stop all Windows content,... but keep in mind that the geek subset of society is far more varied when it comes to OS choice than the populace.

Whew! I hope my rantings and run-ons are understandable. I'm in college for Computer Science, not English!

While it seems that I'm being really negative about the show, I honestly love it and would be just as happy if it stayed the same.

Keep up the awesome work.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see tht guys completely contradicting me,

its the new crowd the show is now geared toward,

rev3 brats, its all about the eye candy the content doesn't matter.

as you notice from his post :

A very long time ago, I tried watching an episode, and only made it a few minutes in because the production quality was so low.

we the long time loyal fans have been dumped for the new rev3 skiddy statistic,

wich wouldn't have been interested in the show in the first place.

its all about the eye candy, dude no disrespect but you probably prefere the ps3 or xbox360 over the wii cos of superior gfx, u prob chose for a mac for the eye candy (nothing agains mac's )

you probably prefere a gui interface, and use bloatware cos it looks pretty

you'd probably buy a car that looks great over one that runs great.

nothing against you, but i hate your type, all about the eye candy "ooh shiny"

me and i think a lot of us prefere a system and interface that works over one that looks good, and usually verry minimalistic. (look back a year or so and look at the desktop threads, count the amount of windows systems, now look at how much of those use the windows classic theme or a derivative)

we generally prefere commandline over gui, why ? not because its "1337" , but because its a lot more powerfull and usefull and even easyer to automate (by scripting) , its another reason a lot prefere linux because of the much more powerfull commandline.

then again why do i even bother, as i said , this guy it the typical new statistic, we long time fans dont matter anymore, comon darren admit it ... cos thats what it feels like.

remember @ the mentioning of the take-over when quite a few of us were complaining, u said it wouldn't change, well it did didnt it?

i (and a lot of us old fans'd probably agree) want our old show back :(

Question: If you use classic and change your wallpaper every 6 months or so (if indeed you either bother with one), are you going to bother posting a picture of your desktop every month? Of course that thread is never going to appeal to that crowd, but for people who are visually creative maybe its interesting? There is more to computing than starting at a cli waiting for your code to compile.

Yes, the show has changed, that was always a given, its evolved massively over the last few years. If it hadn't it would have gone stale, never gone anywhere and eventually it would have been given up on. So while every episode isn't going to be jam packed with content that will keep me glued to the screen for 1.5hrs, it has a broader appeal. All the cast need to do is pick up on the few good ideas in this thread and look at the idea of having guest spots to cover the content they aren't so hot on like advanced *nix segments or complicated hardware hacks. That way the appeal will be even broader and someone who does have a spare 6 months to build a linux powered UAV out of pepsi cans and a spare router gets to show off their work.

see tht guys completely contradicting me,

its the new crowd the show is now geared toward,

rev3 brats, its all about the eye candy the content doesn't matter.

as you notice from his post :

we the long time loyal fans have been dumped for the new rev3 skiddy statistic,

wich wouldn't have been interested in the show in the first place.

its all about the eye candy, dude no disrespect but you probably prefere the ps3 or xbox360 over the wii cos of superior gfx, u prob chose for a mac for the eye candy (nothing agains mac's )

you probably prefere a gui interface, and use bloatware cos it looks pretty

you'd probably buy a car that looks great over one that runs great.

nothing against you, but i hate your type, all about the eye candy "ooh shiny"

me and i think a lot of us prefere a system and interface that works over one that looks good, and usually verry minimalistic. (look back a year or so and look at the desktop threads, count the amount of windows systems, now look at how much of those use the windows classic theme or a derivative)

we generally prefere commandline over gui, why ? not because its "1337" , but because its a lot more powerfull and usefull and even easyer to automate (by scripting) , its another reason a lot prefere linux because of the much more powerfull commandline.

then again why do i even bother, as i said , this guy it the typical new statistic, we long time fans dont matter anymore, comon darren admit it ... cos thats what it feels like.

remember @ the mentioning of the take-over when quite a few of us were complaining, u said it wouldn't change, well it did didnt it?

i (and a lot of us old fans'd probably agree) want our old show back :(

Way to make outrageous claim about someone you absolutely don't know whatsoever.

Assuming that the only reason I enjoy the show is production value,...

Assuming that the only reason I enjoy the Mac is it's "ooh shiny" GUI,...

Assuming that I don't know what command line tools are,...

Assuming that I'm a typical Xbox 360/PS3 owner because it's "all about graphics DOOD!",...

Assuming that the only thing I'm interested in is eye candy,...

..., is all very childish and is exactly what I'd expect of a sixteen year old desperately trying to defend his leetness. However, I must sink to your level with this message.

There is a certain quality viewers should expect of their shows. I'll have you know, that I only started watching after the revision3 "takeover," without it, I never would have been able to find the show. I hear the Hak5 crew wants to make the show HD, while that's a little overboard, I really appreciate their work to make the show watchable.

I use the Mac because it's stable and consistent. Not for the hip coolkidonthestreet factor or its "ooh shiny" GUI. Vista, if anything, has a much more "ooh shiny" interface if anything.

I'm a student UNIX systems admin for my university and am very familiar with command line, programming and scripting. Tcsh is the shell I'm most familiar with, although I should be using bash according to my boss. I prefer vi to emacs or anything else. I also like Perl > Bourne Shell Scripting > C Shell Scripting, at least in my opinion.

I don't own a 360 nor a PS3. Want my Wii code: 0138.5163.6628.6541, we can Brawl when I get back to my apartment in Nebraska. My family in Minnesota doesn't have internet access.

Your argument fails mostly here..., you assume that because I have a Mac (which is a stereotype) and enjoy new Hak5 over 45 seconds of an old episode, I must, must, be absolutely infatuated with "eye candy" in all facets of my entire being.

I'll also have you know that I bicycle or use public transportation.

------------------

Now that you know a little bit more about me, feel free to make some accusations.

EDIT: I made some slanderous comments about DLSS after viewing his website and stuff.

I'm ashamed of what I've done and deleted it.

you're right i did assume too much :)

but that was the message/impression i was getting from you're complete post :)

starting from "i really loved the broken" (dont get me wrong everyone watched it, its what started iptv shows like this, and it has been parodied a lot aswell, but it also was one big joke...) to the stuff about not being able to watch the old eps due to quality and the importance of it.

as i said i have nothing against macs (well ok i do hate their massive use of proprietary ports & connectors but thats here nor there) and agree that the're stable and the norm for video , photo , sound editing.

as for stabs at me i dont mind dont worry ;)

i guess i did underestimate you aswell. but we still disagree massively on what we call quality ....

i was quite annoyed by you're post, what i posted in my first post was sincere and this community, especially the old members here r close to my heart, and we've all loved the show from the start, then to have it turn to yet another typical rev3 show isn't quite a fun thing especially cos hak.5 used to be something awesome and unique, driven by our community and the awesome hak5 staff, some can cope with this change better then others (vako ...) others like me dont want to, and want our old show back ...

i'm sorry for my shitty assumptions, to me it sounded like you were a skiddy, and thats what i treated you as (hmm good spelling should've given me a clue).

you're right i did assume too much :)

but that was the message/impression i was getting from you're complete post :)

starting from "i really loved the broken" (dont get me wrong everyone watched it, its what started iptv shows like this, and it has been parodied a lot aswell, but it also was one big joke...) to the stuff about not being able to watch the old eps due to quality and the importance of it.

as i said i have nothing against macs (well ok i do hate their massive use of proprietary ports & connectors but thats here nor there) and agree that the're stable and the norm for video , photo , sound editing.

as for stabs at me i dont mind dont worry ;)

i guess i did underestimate you aswell. but we still disagree massively on what we call quality ....

i was quite annoyed by you're post, what i posted in my first post was sincere and this community, especially the old members here r close to my heart, and we've all loved the show from the start, then to have it turn to yet another typical rev3 show isn't quite a fun thing especially cos hak.5 used to be something awesome and unique, driven by our community and the awesome hak5 staff, some can cope with this change better then others (vako ...) others like me dont want to, and want our old show back ...

i'm sorry for my shitty assumptions, to me it sounded like you were a skiddy, and thats what i treated you as (hmm good spelling should've given me a clue).

Touching, *cues Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww*

You talk as if the show is dead!, Darren said that things will be getting better, as if he knew something was wrong. I like the show as it is. Given that you are such a passionate fan of, "Old Hak5," perhaps I'll give it another chance. I'd like to buy all the "seasons" if they aren't too expensive (can one even do that?), or perhaps just download them all. If the show is at rock bottom in your eyes, then it can only get better, right?

If you really loved the show, then you'd understand that they're trying their best to make everyone happy.

i never said rock bottom >_>, just quite far from what it used to be, if we werent used to it being as it was, and i looked at it as you do, seeing it as it is now for the first time, i'd probably find it a good show, but, how am i going to explain this, we're used to more/better now...

its like when u get a pc (pIII , 512 MB ram, geforce 2, 80gb hdd)

then u get a new one (quad core, 4GB ram, ati hd card, 2,5 TB hdd)

then they take it away and u get the previous one back, u're still thankfull you're getting something, but u do feel it's a downgrade and you now kno you could've had so much more ... you cant be ungratefull, but u do long back to the quadcore isn't it. (this is where i am)

but now if i now give the PIII to you and you've never had any pc, yer gonna be verry happy with it, and wont long for anything better, cos you've never had anything better, as far as you go this is the best it gets (till now)

i'm not to good with metaphores , and there's also our opinions to be concidered etc , but u get my point ....

OK, Although i only got into hak5 regularly as of season 3 onwards but as some one who has watched every episode of hak5 I can say that the show has changed a lot. And not with the levels of skill shown on screen but the professionalism of the production has grown it's not to my taste but I watch it non the less.

I do think the skill level of the show has gone down with Hak5 joining Rev3, I think that is down to the short time frame that they have to film a episode I do however think that perhaps they could drop down to two episodes a month and bring it back up or at least try to film some more in-depth / advanced topics over a longer period of time and then add them to a regular episode.

My personal choice for the production style of the show would be more like they did it in 1.6, no flashy or high end graphics that are on a par with a TV show, as long as the sound is clear, the text on screen is readable an there are no long silences it's fine. Maybe a splash with a logo or a name on but not all this robotic arm guff. As Wess said in 1.6 "We wrap all that up in a light tech / humour blanket" the show seems to have gone beyond that an seems more like a technical episode of Click on BBC news 24.

The sponsors are starting to bug me, you have always had them sure some of them must be good with you an fit in well like godaddy, but early in this current season you had becks beer as a sponsor while beer is good it just dose not seem to go with a show like Hak5. A audio only show like pauldotcom.com has industry based sponsorship why can't hak5 go to them an say "Hey look we are in the same industry probably get you some more sales" hell go to SANS an see if you can get something from them.

I was one of the people who said let's give it a while let us see what they can do but other than Jassager we havent really seen much new from hak5, why not have a news section or hey watch out there is this exploit, or some kind of malware of the week section it would at least give some of the old feel back that this was a show more dedicated to the Hacker, the moder, the system admin.

The show seems to have taken on the same format of two guy's in front of a camera with a user base that is interested in tech but is far from understanding not just how but why it work's, The Show is turning into labrats, all you need is two cat's called biff an boo an your all set.

Come on guy's give us some of the old time skill an effort back, and we don't really need HD.

Excellent points of view, both with valid arguments.....that won't be worth jack shit if no one's paying attention.

Let's hope someone is. <_<

Oh, I'm sure someone is...,

I found out about Hak5 around the middle of season 3, but I've watched every episode (i think) and, yes it has changed immensely. Yes, Hak5 does seem more like TV now, yes, the content has diminished, and yes, it's saddening.

Hak5 revamped my Technolust and made me want to learn so much more. Hak5 has taught me so much more (directly and indirectly) than I would have learned by myself and I will be forever thankful to them, and the great community.

I feel, along with _almost_ everybody else watching, that bringing back the hardware hacks/mods would be a _great_ improvement to Hak5. And yes, alot of the segment _should_ be researched more. But Hak5 _IS NOT_ a bad show by any means.

I was watching the HakHouse yesterday and they were filming Snubs' segment. I'd rather not give away the topic so I wont go to in depth about how it should have been researched more, but there was alot of things that weren't exactly true with what she was saying and with _maybe_ five minutes of research, she could have made her show alot better and more indepth.

Just my two cents... And like I said, Hak5 _IS NOT_ a bad show by any means. I'd like to see the flamers do what they do... Great show guys/Snubs, keep it coming! :D

one of my favorite parts of the "old" hak.5 was the hardware hacks.. those are the ones i can get and understand.. but now its all programs and stuff, i still watch it because i find the whole show great, but one thing that they should bring back is the hardware side of things

~silent

edit: i was also wondering that on the edit cam, because of my slower internet speed i can only view one cam but both have to be running due to the one audio on the right cam, could you make it so we could control audio on both the cams? thanks again

Hak.5 is made by them, not by the community. If you don't like it don't watch it, if you don't like the crowd don't hang around the crowd. If you want a show made by a community go watch and contribute to BSOD.tv (if it even still exists).

We understand that you guys want to see hardware hacks again on the show. And we're actively working on some segments. Now I really want to have the chance to do some more hardware. But here's some reasons why it hasn't been at the top of our agenda.

HD - This is key for our show, and more people have been asking about this than anything else.

Studio Upgrades - If we're going to be comfortable making the show we have a number of things that had to be done to the studio

Equipment Upgrades - Going HD requires more than just HD cameras

Time - Shooting every Friday and all of us having full time jobs doesn't exactly make the most conducive environment for implementing hardware mods / hacks, CES is coming up, and then 2 weeks after that is ROFLcon, then it's Shmoocon.

Sorry but the truth is TomB is right. If the show kept everything the same and changed nothing, there probably wouldn't be a Hak5 today. That being said, things do need to change in order to have some sort of longevity.

As for the sponsors, sorry but it's the same number of sponsors we've had in previous seasons, and how is it that a beer sponsor doesn't go well with our show when we're drinking beer regardless of being sponsored or not?

Yes, we're light on hardware right now, but that is being worked on I promise.

In terms of 'new shit' was the entire Jasager project not to your liking? Can we get an idea on what it is that will satisfy those of you who say "AHH show sucks now, go back to season 1" Well that's not going to happen, but we are open to ideas on just what it is we're missing there.

And yes we are paying attention to those making sense.

Matt

We understand that you guys want to see hardware hacks again on the show. And we're actively working on some segments. Now I really want to have the chance to do some more hardware. But here's some reasons why it hasn't been at the top of our agenda.

HD - This is key for our show, and more people have been asking about this than anything else.

Studio Upgrades - If we're going to be comfortable making the show we have a number of things that had to be done to the studio

Time - Shooting every Friday and all of us having full time jobs doesn't exactly make the most conducive environment for implementing hardware mods / hacks, CES is coming up, and then 2 weeks after that is ROFLcon, then it's Shmoocon.

Sorry but the truth is TomB is right. If the show kept everything the same and changed nothing, there probably wouldn't be a Hak5 today. That being said, things do need to change in order to have some sort of longevity.

As for the sponsors, sorry but it's the same number of sponsors we've had in previous seasons, and how is it that a beer sponsor doesn't go well with our show when we're drinking beer regardless of being sponsored or not?

In terms of 'new shit' was the entire Jasager project not to your liking? Can we get an idea on what it is that will satisfy those of you who say "AHH show sucks now, go back to season 1" Well that's not going to happen, but we are open to ideas on just what it is we're missing there.

Matt

now the Jasager thing was hardware i thought that was a sweet thing, i almost went out and bought a fon just to do it, and i completely get the whole going hd (that was a great improvement), and i dont think the "sponsors" have made the show go bad because the show hasnt gone bad, i still enjoy it, i dont get half the stuff that happens but i guess the plus side to that is i get to learn and thats the whole point, and another thing is the whole once a week, hard to find stuff to do the show on probably, and now i'm rambling

keep it up hak.5

~silent

Matt

I think everybody here can agree that Jasager was the most badass thing we've seen in a long time. With that being said, I do hope that we get more into depth with the specific applications of Jasager instead of just saying, "here's how to set it up, the interface isn't done, but you can do stuff with it". Believe me, I churned hundreds of ideas as soon as I learned about Jasager, anything from packet injection to cookie interception to the upsidedownternet. Keep up the good work with things like that.

If you've got ideas on how to expand and utilize the Jasager segment, please let us know via email by sending ideas for us to feedback@hak5.org

While we truly do enjoy doing a weekly show and being able to respond in a much timelier fashion than monthly episodes there is a lot of content to fill in 52 episodes, and we can always use your suggestions!

Let us know what you want to see and we'll do our best to bring it to you.

Matt

Kung Fu Jesus:

Get off your damn high horse, I don't see you hosting any shows around here. I think the cast is doing a wonderful job. I also think -- as already stated about 100 times -- that you should focus more on feedback and constructive suggestions, rather than directly insulting the cast. Even if you hate the suggestion because you feel your insults are necessary, just have some class and stop being a douche.

Kung Fu Jesus:

Get off your damn high horse, I don't see you hosting any shows around here. I think the cast is doing a wonderful job. I also think -- as already stated about 100 times -- that you should focus more on feedback and constructive suggestions, rather than directly insulting the cast. Even if you hate the suggestion because you feel your insults are necessary, just have some class and stop being a douche.

why are you calling him a douche, when right here you're proving to be en ass

dont try to be badass, and diss on people that've been active here way longer then you , cos as long as you havent seen all past episodes and been active in the community (forums,irc,...) you don't kno what you're talking about.

And franctly imho if you dont contribute to the community or show in one way or another (this doens't even have to be code , just feedback to the show or talking on the board or irc) you dont matter. and especially have no right to tell others that've been here longer then you, how they should act (hell actually that righ is a priviledge for vako,manuel,moonlit,tomb,... and other such high ranks :) )

take an example to other new members like : saxon and H@L0_F00

both were new but watched the back catalog and contribute on the forums ...

I've been following since the first season; however I've started to find the content a little dry and somewhat boring. This is purely personal, I find wireless hacking and most things related to it tiresome, so the whole Jasager stuff was lost on me, I found the use of a pineapple quite comical, and Darren’s comments on travelling through airport security hilarious, but for me that was about it.

Everyone wants to take something different from the show; I enjoy watching the projects you guys do. I especially like the content Matt is bringing to the show e.g. the enterprise admin kind of stuff, its stuff I can relate to and its stuff I find useful. I also like the “tip-bits” that are often randomly thrown in “calibrate” was a useful website, didn’t really want to calibrate my monitors, but I went and gave it a go anyway =]

Things I wouldn’t mind seeing;-

1. Product reviews

2. How to (not to sound lame but, stuff like building a pc, start off basic and built it up as you go along “How to run an office pc for free!” e.g. Linux and Open office)

3. Question and Answers (Technical help, could be my pc won’t boot! How do i host a website? Though those questions border on point 2)

4. VM's explained in a little more (it's probally something I could/should go and Google, but sometimes we all want stuff served up on a plate for us)

Calm down, how were my last posts insulting? I was giving feedback on the segment, making suggestions. My intention is not to insult anybody, I'm trying to give constructive criticism. Please do not attack my character, as I am not trying to attack anybody else's. My first post was blunt but to the point, take it as you will.

Stop with the insults or this thread and any subsiquent threads on this subject will be locked upon sight.

The original reason why this wasn't said earlier. if you say anything and anyone disagrees its an instant lock