PandoraRip - copy, tag, organize, download album art

konfoo

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st: Konfoo, awesome job  :-D

2nd: How exactly does the Grab UnCached Tracks work? I've got many many mp3 files that show as 8K (folder/file/album art structure is there, but mp3 is starved).  Thought, maybe, grabbing uncached tracks just grabs everything but the actual mp3 (since it's not cached to be grabbed). 

If so, does this prevent the cached mp3 from being grabbed if it comes down the pipe later?

3rd: Maybe I've got something else going on?

Anyone have a clue?

This has proven an awesome way for me to give more attention to artists and songs I otherwise would have forgotten on first listen.  I love the flexibility this app gives me.  It's like making radio tapes again  :grin:

• 3 weeks later...

Big Thank You to Konfoo!  8-)

PandoraRip was the first timeshifting prog I tried using and it works great!  Very easy as long as you install the Firefox Flash Switcher right at the beginning and set it to 8.0 r24.  It's working great.

Only odd thing I had happen was that it stopped ripping when it got to 100 total tracks ripped.  But I just restarted the program and it worked fine again.  I'm already up to 82 again, so I'll see if it stops again at 100.  I didn't know if it was supposed to do that or not...  haha

PS.  I've used this on both Win2k Server and WinXP Pro and both working great.  I'll throw it on a Vista machine soon.

Thanks for the easy to use, great program.  Very cool!

Thanks,

Smoke_007

First off a HUGE thanks.  A convert from launchcast, as I really dont mind paying reasonable prices for my music, Pandora spanks that service. 

Also love that this also works with Pandora. fm, which scrobbles the music to last. fm. . .  very fun!

The one request I would like to make is improved existing track recognition.  My (extremely) limited code experience tells me that it seems as though your spiffy little tool compares the id3 info? I say this since using WMP I like to update the album info to include things like track number and the like, but this breaks the track recognition and if played again it will convert that file into a duplicate.  Is there any way around this. . .  like perhaps to check the file name instead?

Like so many others on here, I would like to thank you Konfoo for your wonderful work. The only feature that I would like to request in the new version, is the option to add ripped music to iTunes automatically.  This is not essential by any means, but it would make things a bit easier.

Also I feel that the people on here who are complaining about the size/quality of the album art are being too picky.  Can you imagine how more difficult it would be to find the cover art for some of these albums, especially the international ones?  Just keep it like it is, the app pulls them from the cache, ensuring that it is the correct album art for the particular song.  And not only does it save the album art in the album folder, but it attaches it to the ID3 tag as well, outstanding! Bravo!!!

-NKA

Kewl App. .  Sw33t. . .  Enjoy it so much more over pandora. jar . . .

Someone brought up the site www. deezer. com . . .  The music is in flash flv format. .

one can use flvextract to get the mp3 out of it , but its not at 44100 its at 22050. . .

when ripping classical, I notice a few problems the following happens

Unable to copy track "(Allegro) by Andrei Gavrilov has similar baroque stylings piano tonal harmony major key tonality and a fast and bright tempo - Suite for keyboard (Suite de piece) Vol1 No5 in E major (The Harmonious Blacksmith) HWV 430

Greetings,

i wanted to thank you for writing such a fantastic program.  it has definatly gotten me out of my music rut. a couple of requests i would like.

1.) have an option to overwrite the downloaded genre with the channel name.  for example i got a genre of country/techno/punk/alternative downloaded from my techno channel.  would it be possible for every song downloaded from the techno channel to automatically get named to the techno genre because the genres at this point are sub optimal for sorting by genre because there are just SO many different genres with the genre/genre/genre method.

2.) is there some way to clear your scan lists?  because pandora rip is scanning about 150000 times on load when i only have about 3k songs.

Thank you very much for your time

I can't seem to get PandoraRip to function.  I just installed it per the directions at hxxp: www. geopacket. com/PandoraRip/readme. txt.  I'm using Firefox 2. 0. 0. 13.  The PandoraRip folder on my desktop stays empty while Pandora plays songs.  Suggestions for troubleshooting?

First off, great work.  I noticed, however, that not all the songs are grabbed.  Yes, I have grab UnCached tracks selected.  But looking at the logs, it looks like a pretty consistent 5 minutes pass between scans.  Is that the case? Does it get a notification from FF or Flash that there's been a change, or are the temp caches polled every X minutes? If so, is there a way to specify that via the settings. ini file? What would be great is a description of all allowed params and what they do.  Most are obviously just session stores for when the proggy restarts, but if there's anything else it would be nice to know about.

Anyway, if my hunch about the polling time is right, then a good things would be to have control over that and allow one to override the default.  I listen to a lot of music that clocks in at less than that, and it seems to miss about 1 in every 3 songs.  If there's something I'm missing, I'd be happy to report any info you want/need.  Wireless card, debug logs, FF and Flash settings/configs, etc. . .

Whatever I can do to make this great program even greater, I'm game for. 

By the way, another feature suggestion, if not already suggested. It would be nice if PandoraRip showed the current playing song as already ripped or not. right now I have to go into the log to see if the song was already ripped, or just missed. If already ripped then you could still display the info, and play and delete, but maybe with a red marker next to it, instead of green or orange, indicating already ripped. Anyway, just an idea..

Just tried to set P.Rip up on a Vista machine.

Using 2.0.0.13 Firefox.

Using newest Flash Switcher (1.0.7, maybe?).

Had to change permissions on Firefox folder so Flash Switcher would work.

Now, P.Rip is scanning its little heart out, but it's not grabbing anything. Same settings I have on my XP machine. No grabby trackies  :sad:

Anyone else run in to this with Vista? Anyone have some insight?

@Poly: you mentioned that you had to change the permissions so that Firefox would run the Flash switcher.  I'm going to assume that you have not yet enabled your Vista account to FULL admin status?  This clears up a number of permission issues with Vista, and info on how to enable full administrator access for Vista user accounts can be found here: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=537806

First try that out, if you have not done so already, and that should fix any permission issues that Vista is presenting you with.

Also, which Flash did you switch to, and have you tried it with Firefox portable instead of Firefox 2.0.0.13?

Give us some more info so that we can help you:

Also, if you could post the Logfile from Pandora rip, that would be helpful as well.

Good luck!

-NKA

@Poly: you mentioned that you had to change the permissions so that Firefox would run the Flash switcher.  I'm going to assume that you have not yet enabled your Vista account to FULL admin status?

I'll double-check the machine. I don't know  :oops:

Also, which Flash did you switch to, and have you tried it with Firefox portable instead of Firefox 2.0.0.13?

8.0 r24 and I haven't tried FF portable  :oops:

Give us some more info so that we can help you:

Also, if you could post the Logfile from Pandora rip, that would be helpful as well.

Danke  :-)

I'll try the admin change, then FF portable, then (if it's still not working for me) I'll post the logfile.

Thank you so much for the help! I've spent maybe 10 minutes with Vista before this morning, so it's a bit different  :!:

np, I'm glad to hear that the fix worked for you.  I'm still on XP myself, but I have enabled the full admin access for many people who have been unfortunate enough to abandon XP for the hopes of the greener pastures of Vista.  The full admin will eliminate many of the problems that you had and would have with Vista permissions.  As far as stability and all of the other issues with Vista, plus the fact that it is a memory hog and is slow, you will have to turn to MS for their various service packs and hotfixes. 

Did you need to use FF portable?

Cheers ;-)

-NKA

First off, I want to thank you as well for making a great program.  I just gave it a try today.  I really like how well your program tags the mp3s.  I've read through the thread so far.  There are a few suggestions I would like to offer:

• [li]Station Name Folders - if possible, suggested before. [/li]

[li]"Grab It" - Ability to select individual tracks, rather than "cruise control. " I don't really like to download every song. [/li]

[li]Delete - Seems to only remove the mp3, I would like to see all the folders and artwork removed as well.  Almost like an "Undo" button. [/li]

[li]Better Artwork - if possible as a separate option. [/li]

[li]Add to iTunes - I'm think if I change the default folder to iTunes, would it add it automatically? Or add the folder in iTunes.  But I would like to see this as a separate option. [/li]

Once again I appreciate all your hard work!

• [li]Add to iTunes - I'm think if I change the default folder to iTunes, would it add it automatically? Or add the folder in iTunes.  But I would like to see this as a separate option. [/li]

It works like that in Windows Media Player.

I'd like to thank the creator here for this wonderful application, however, I can't seem to get it to work reliably. 

It will grab two, sometimes three cached songs, and no new ones. 

Running vista 32bit, WWAN connection or WLAN, and I can get pandora's jar to work fine, but it doesn't tag albums or art, so . . . .

am I missing something obvious here?

*edit* this is really strange, It seems only a small number of songs are getting cached by pandora... including some that are not even played, but others which are played do not show up in any temporary directories? It seems if I switched to wired connection, I have slightly better luck, is this the problem?

additionally, I am having better luck, although still not even 40% of tracks, by running a window of pandora's jar with cruise control set to off alongside a normal pandora window.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also experiencing intermittent capturing of songs. It will grab about one out of every 3-5 songs for a while, and then stop completely until I reboot. I'm running XP and download on high speed cable. Any suggestions?

Konfoo.. Excellent work. Clean interface, works perfectly on my windows box.

I also want to report I got it working under Ubuntu using the latest wine (version 1.0-rc1).. not sure if anyone's reported success on that? Quick how-to:

Firefox through wine (easy as pie):

1) Install firefox (I used 2.0.0.14), flash switcher and etc. in wine.

2) Run pandorarip.exe with wine (I just double-click it on desktop)

3) Play pandora in firefox (through wine). Enjoy.

Firefox in Ubuntu without wine (a bit more work):

1) I used FF 3b5 which comes with Ubuntu Hardy

2) Get latest wine (I used 1.0-rc1)

3) Make a link to bridge between your native temp directory and wine's temp directory:

Wine tells PandoraRip the temp directory is in c:\windows\temp. When Pandora runs, it creates a folder in the temp directory called "plugtmp", but running firefox in linux, it puts this folder in /tmp/, so make a link for it:

ln -s /tmp/plugtmp [wine's drive_c]/windows/temp/

For me, the wine C drive is at /home/myusername/.wine/drive_c/

4) Run pandoraip.exe in wine (I just double-click it on desktop)

5) Play pandora in FF and enjoy.

What works:

Everything except (see below). It even puts the icon in the notification area (the taskbar).

What doesn't work:

On my system "Grab UnCached Tracks" doesn't work. However, I read above that it required being able to run promiscuous protocols? I'm pretty sure the Intel 3945 doesn't support this. The consequence is it misses a few tracks, but so far it's grabbed 9 out of 11, which isn't bad.

Overall, I'd say it's working so well I don't see a real need for a linux port. Heck, the sniffer might even work, it's just my card that doesn't support it. I don't have a good way to test that, unfortunately.

Hi,

Some time ago Pandora was sending the 'focusTrait' within their XMLs. The focusTrait was exactly the gene being used for the

next 4-song playlist generation, in human readable form. Now they only send focusTraitId, which is a code.

I wonder if anyone succeeded to map the focusTraitIds to focusTraits when it was possible?..

R.

Hey. Beautiful program, works like a damn charm. Pandora's Jar has given me nothing but trouble, but this program is so much easier to use. I go to High Tech High School, and if you couldn't tell from the name, we use technology so much that we become really in tune with it. I took apart my first computer and troubleshooted it in the 7th grade. I have tons of software troubleshooting experience, yet i still havent managed to fix pandora's jar!

I love it, you have my best wishes for the future of it, and i hope that you are well rewarded and honored for your achievements.

~Tivicus