PandoraRip - copy, tag, organize, download album art

konfoo

I threw together a quick ripper that is unobtrusive and sits on the system tray.  It will copy, tag and organize Pandora's tracks, and download album art.  Just use your browser to listen as per usual.

Latest Version: 1.1.3.0

Hilights:

* Track sniffer, ripper and player

* Automatic harvesting of genres from google

* Album Art grabber

* Tagging of Title, Artist, Album, Genres and Album Art

* Thumbs down tracker (watches for thumbs downs and deletes any matching songs already downloaded)

* Quick management of downloaded tracks (play, delete)

* Zero footprint install and no dotNET BS

Screenshot-1.jpg

If you have issues, post them in this thread. 

Changelog:

- The thumbs down tracker was rehashed, should work better

- Some eye candy indicating deleted tracks on the mainscreen

was added

- Fixed issue with song tagging

- Fixed bug with thumbs down track deletion, tracks

for some layouts would not be found

- Thumbs down tracking and deletion

Press thumbs down and the track will be purged

NOTE if you keep pandora running and restart pandorarip

it will repopulate the cached tracks if they are still

in the temp directories! You can use this as a 'feature'

if you accidentally thumbs down a track. Otherwise, keep

the two synchronized i.e. restart pandora before you

restart pandorarip.

- File validation had a bug which was squashed

- Fixed some resource bugs

- Fixed google genre scraping - google search results now CSS'd

- fixed to work with firefox 3 and flash 8.0r24

- fixed to work with Pandora '2.0'

- Configurable history

- Output folder can now be set

- Settings are now saved and restored

- Some bugs squashed with processing entries while changing settings

- Bug where app would not quit while processing fixed

- Added track.name to track filters

- Fixed issue with adapters being blank

- Fix for missing tracks (enable the track sniffer and check grab uncached tracks)

- Bugfixes

- Album art rotation on main UI just for the hell of it

- Track management - right click tray icon on song arrivals. Latest song shown with a green icon

- Bug fixes to song/album/track naming

- Album Year now tagged to the track IDv3 (if available)

- Launch tracks from the system tray in default player

- Bug fixes to genre auto-scraping

- Genre auto-scraping from google is added. ID3V2.3 in format genre/genre/genre/.... by artist.

- TEMP folder also scanned (by request)

- A sniffer is now included. Just pick your interface and check the log.. pandora tracks will be ID'd when sniffed over the ether.

- Bugfixing for Artist/Album autodirs

The purpose of the sniffer is to 'fill in' tracks that cannot be located on disk. Mozilla caches some tracks to memory. Flash9 ofcourse has its own issues where cached content is not visible. This is intended to solve these problems. Note that some interfaces won't work (wifi cards in particular).

- Now scans all temp folders and all metadata files attempting to match cached tracks to correct metadata

- Added debug log view

- ID3V2 tags are used

- Album art is inserted into the mp3 files (tested with winblows media player)

- You get some statistics now (tracks processed, scans done to date, etc.)

Todo:

- Ability to work with any flash version - coming TBD

- Code port to Linux in 1.0.7.0+ - coming never (use wine, see the rest of this thread)

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

konfoo,

this thing is awesome....buggy but awesome. how does it work? i ask because it ripped a song before it played on pandora. is it moving the files from the temp directory like pandora's jar, or does it actually pull the songs off of pandora's server? i'm guessing its the latter. anyway, very nice work  :cool:

this thing is awesome....buggy but awesome. how does it work? i ask because it ripped a song before it played on pandora. is it moving the files from the temp directory like pandora's jar, or does it actually pull the songs off of pandora's server? i'm guessing its the latter. anyway, very nice work  :cool:

Thanks. Please post any bugs you find and I will fix them when I get a chance. It's working fine for my use but that doesn't mean it works great for everyone else ;-). The files (metadata and music) are pulled from the firefox cache. The cover images are downloaded from pandora's site. I'm not sure how Pandora's jar works (I couldn't get it working right), but PandoraRip polls the cache directory continuously for new media and rips them immediately when the file handle is closed.

I have another version in the works that embeds the Pandora flash object directly in the ripper and grabs the files before the Flash object gets a chance to, but hooking Flash being the PITA it is.. this one is still a ways off.

Check your user's temp directory (c:documents and settingsyourusernamelocal settingstemp or somesuch on XP, c:users... on Vista) - do you have a plugtmp or plugtmp-1? Until I add a new version that scans for temp directories, you can 'fix' pandora to use plugtmp by closing firefox and deleting plugtmp and plugtmp-1. Restart it and it should default to plugtmp.

I just fired it up and gave it a try.  It didn't rip the very first song but so far has grabbed the next two without issue.

This is pretty cool.  Thanks.  8-)

EDIT:  It ripped the first 3 songs without any issues, but for some reason missed 4 and 5.  I refreshed my pandora.com page and it grabbed the next song.  I checked and all I had was a plugtmp folder, but the strange thing was that it only had the 3 songs in there and not the next 2.  Once I did the refresh it show the next successfully ripped song.

I guess I'll see if I can figure out how to manage my flash plugin cache.

That's an oddity with flash.

I have a solution to fix it by reversing their URLs via sniffer in the app which works.. so I will be adding that to grab missed tracks from their site directly. That way the tracks will be 100% a match for everything played.

Also coming tagging the mp3s with ID3v2 cover art directly in the mp3 files (as well as per folder).

Oh, and it doesn't create folders here.

So the folder.jpg keeps changing with every rip.

Which folder layout type do you have selected? Are the files all in one dir? And what OS are you running?

BTW regardless of the single jpg changing, each song should still have the correct album art tagged to it.

Oh, and it doesn't create folders here.

So the folder.jpg keeps changing with every rip.

Which folder layout type do you have selected? Are the files all in one dir? And what OS are you running?

BTW regardless of the single jpg changing, each song should still have the correct album art tagged to it.

I chose ArtistAlbumArtist - Title.mp3, and all the files were at my desktop in the PandoraRip folder (You should add an option to choose the download folder ;)  ). I'm running on Windows XP.

I chose ArtistAlbumArtist - Title.mp3, and all the files were at my desktop in the PandoraRip folder (You should add an option to choose the download folder ;)  ). I'm running on Windows XP.

Fixed. Saving options in next release.

Great program, I really like it!  The interface is slick, I love the pop-up alerts, and it's practically hands-free.  Thanks for all your hard work!

One problem, though, is that not all songs are retrieved, and I can't figure out what determines which ones make it and which ones don't.  Some songs just get skipped, and I cannot figure out why.

I've observed that in general, using Pandora with Flash 8 and Firefox 2, not every song that plays has a corresponding file in the plugtmp directories.  Some do, but some don't.  This confuses the heck out of me, because shouldn't all the files be in the same place?  Shouldn't they all be files, and in the same folder?

Note that I have followed the instructions in your readme. txt file and disabled network. http. use-cache.

I've observed that in general, using Pandora with Flash 8 and Firefox 2, not every song that plays has a corresponding file in the plugtmp directories.    Some do, but some don't.    This confuses the heck out of me, because shouldn't all the files be in the same place?  Shouldn't they all be files, and in the same folder?

The missing files are downloaded outside the "plugtmp" directory.  Look into the "Temp" folder (the same where the plugtmp folder is in).  You'll probably find files "plugtmp-1", plugtmp-2, etc.  files (without extension).  These are your missing files.

Hello Konfoo,

This is a great little application and I think it has real potential.  I love the way it rips the files before they get played and better still  - it has no problem correctly ripping and naming files when I change stations unlike PJ (is there a fix yet for this issue with PJ yet btw?).

I'm having similar problems as other users seem to be having regarding some files in the plugtmp folder not be ripped.  I've monitored the files sizes to see if they get ripped but some just seem to slip through the net and there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it.  Also, any files outside the plugtmp folder don't get ripped either.

Keep up the good work though - it all looks very promising.  I'll be monitoring this thread for program updates very closely! Nice one.

Cheers

Please post the names of your temp files on disk if they do not match something like  '34856347593875' (all numeric)

'Missing track' fix coming in 1.0.6.0

System: Windows XP SP2. Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.8. Flash v8.

Pandora creates the "plugtmp" (plugtmp-1, plugtmp-2, etc.) folder inside the "C:Documents and settings<Account>Local settingsTemp" directory.

Then it downloads the music and names it for example "8968701340778595214" (without any extension).

Howewer, some files (the "missing-files") are being downloaded directly into the Temp directory (i.e. outside the plugtmp folder).

These files are named accordingly to the pattern: "plugtmp" + "-1" ("-2", "-3", etc.).

When the temp folder's name is "plugtmp-1" the first part of the "missing-files" name has the same name (and these missing files are named: plugtmp-1-1, plugtmp-1-2, etc.)