PandoraRip - copy, tag, organize, download album art

konfoo

Pandora creates the "plugtmp" (plugtmp-1, plugtmp-2, etc.) folder inside the "C:Documents and settings<Account>Local settingsTemp" directory.

Then it downloads the music and names it for example "8968701340778595214" (without any extension).

Howewer, some files (the "missing-files") are being downloaded directly into the Temp directory (i.e. outside the plugtmp folder).

These files are named accordingly to the pattern: "plugtmp" + "-1" ("-2", "-3", etc.).

When the temp folder's name is "plugtmp-1" the first part of the "missing-files" name has the same name (and these missing files are named: plugtmp-1-1, plugtmp-1-2, etc.)

Yes, this seems to be the same on my 'puter. None of the plugtmp-1 et al files that are outside the plugtmp folder get ripped. Also, a few of the numbered files in the plugtmp folder don't get ripped either. Are these unripped numbered files in the plugtmp folder the "missing files" that will be fixed in the next update?

Cheers.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pandora creates the "plugtmp" (plugtmp-1, plugtmp-2, etc.) folder inside the "C:Documents and settings<Account>Local settingsTemp" directory.

Then it downloads the music and names it for example "8968701340778595214" (without any extension).

Howewer, some files (the "missing-files") are being downloaded directly into the Temp directory (i.e. outside the plugtmp folder).

These files are named accordingly to the pattern: "plugtmp" + "-1" ("-2", "-3", etc.).

When the temp folder's name is "plugtmp-1" the first part of the "missing-files" name has the same name (and these missing files are named: plugtmp-1-1, plugtmp-1-2, etc.)

Yes, this seems to be the same on my 'puter. None of the plugtmp-1 et al files that are outside the plugtmp folder get ripped. Also, a few of the numbered files in the plugtmp folder don't get ripped either. Are these unripped numbered files in the plugtmp folder the "missing files" that will be fixed in the next update?

Unfortunately these types of tracks that can't be looked up (missing metadata or filenames that don't match metadata) can't be ripped. Well I take that back - they could be, but I am too lazy to write a CDDB/FreeDB/MusicBrainz interface. That's what the sniffer is for, and 1.0.6.0. It seems to work quite well in test so far, so it should solve the problem.

konfoo,

Great little app!! So easy to get going.

One Problem:

It doesn't appear to function the same with my wireless adapter as it does with my hard wired.  In the interface pull down I see three fields, two blank and one my wireless IP.  When I select it I get an error window (I don't have my wireless so I can't quote it).

And Wish List:

1.  A way to keep track of songs it's saved would be sweet.  Right now if I delete a song then later on restart the app, it'll re-scan cache and save the file again.

2.  It would be good if there was a way to switch from "cruise" control to a per song "grab" option.

Just a couple thoughts.

But still great app.

Nice going.

MS

1.0.6.0 is released with ability to re-cache missed tracks. No tracks are unaccounted for any more.

Hello Konfoo,

Yep, I've been running the new version for a while and it certainly does rip all the tracks in the plugtmp folder now without exception. Superb.

All we need now is to be able to rip those pesky file outside the plugtmp folder and this will be the ultimate pandora rip application!

Cheers.

It doesn't appear to function the same with my wireless adapter as it does with my hard wired.  In the interface pull down I see three fields, two blank and one my wireless IP.  When I select it I get an error window (I don't have my wireless so I can't quote it).

The sniffer is unable to work on adapters that cannot be monitored promiscuously. Many wifi adapters fall into this category. Sorry, no way around this.

1.  A way to keep track of songs it's saved would be sweet.  Right now if I delete a song then later on restart the app, it'll re-scan cache and save the file again.

I am considering adding this as well as the ability to create an ignore list for artists/songs/whatever.

2.  It would be good if there was a way to switch from "cruise" control to a per song "grab" option.

Taken into consideration :)

All we need now is to be able to rip those pesky file outside the plugtmp folder and this will be the ultimate pandora rip application!

Not going to happen if the actual temp file is named plugtmp-, as per previous comments in this thread. This would also be largely irrelevant since all tracks are located now.

Not going to happen if the actual temp file is named plugtmp-, as per previous comments in this thread. This would also be largely irrelevant since all tracks are located now.

Sorry if I sound a bit thick but I'm a bit confused now. When you say "largely irrelevant since all tracks are located now" do you mean even the ones that end up getting named plugtmp are located or perhaps shouldn't they be getting named plugtmp? I've ticked the grab uncached tracks check box but the ones that end up as plugtmp files never materialise. Or did you mean all tracks are located except for the ones that end up as plugtmp?

I've noticed that if you rename the plugtmp files manually as .mp3 files they'll play. Would there be anyway of automatically renaming these files as .mp3 and transfering them into the pandora rip folder? Even if they don't have the artist/title info etc they're still usefull to have.

Cheers

Sorry if I sound a bit thick but I'm a bit confused now. When you say "largely irrelevant since all tracks are located now" do you mean even the ones that end up getting named plugtmp are located or perhaps shouldn't they be getting named plugtmp? I've ticked the grab uncached tracks check box but the ones that end up as plugtmp files never materialise. Or did you mean all tracks are located except for the ones that end up as plugtmp?

On my test box every track that passes through the player is parsed correctly if the sniffer is active and the uncached tracks option is checked.

Duplicate tracks are ignored if they are already in the PandoraRip dir on the desktop.

So are you saying that you are missing tracks, or you are just wondering what happens to the plugtmp-nnn files? If the former, please post some lines from your debug log. If the latter, who cares, these are parsed internally in a separate cache (doc and settingsuserlocal settingstemppandorariptempnnnnnnnnnnnn<...>)

So are you saying that you are missing tracks, or you are just wondering what happens to the plugtmp-nnn files? If the former, please post some lines from your debug log. If the latter, who cares, these are parsed internally in a separate cache (doc and settingsuserlocal settingstemppandorariptempnnnnnnnnnnnn<...>)

I that case I am definitely missing tracks - and they all seem to be the ones that end up as the plugtmp-nnn files for some reason. So here's some lines from my debug log.

Initializing

Desktop Dir: C:UsersTomDesktopPandoraRip

Temporary Files Dir: C:UsersTomAppDataLocalTemp

Application Temporary Files Dir: C:UsersTomAppDataLocalTempPandoraRipTemp

Monitoring Started

118 Scan(s) completed for 2 Temp Dir(s)

0 Total Tracks Ripped :(

Copied & Tagged "Black Sabbath - Sweet Leaf (Live).mp3"

Scraped Genres: hard/heavy/rock/pop

Copied & Tagged "Judas Priest - Private property.mp3"

Scraped Genres: rock

Copied & Tagged "Grave Digger - Desert Rose.mp3"

Scraped Genres: rock/pop

338 Scan(s) completed for 5 Temp Dir(s)

3 Total Tracks Ripped :(

Copied & Tagged "Overkill - World Of Hurt.mp3"

Scraped Genres: hard/power

714 Scan(s) completed for 7 Temp Dir(s)

4 Total Tracks Ripped :(

Copied & Tagged "Sammy Hagar - When the Hammer Falls.mp3"

Scraped Genres: general/rock/pop

1127 Scan(s) completed for 7 Temp Dir(s)

5 Total Tracks Ripped :(

Copied & Tagged "Uriah Heep - Son Of A Bitch.mp3"

Scraped Genres: hard/rock

Cheers

Very nice program! A tad easier and maybe less buggy than Pandora's Jar. Very nice how it grabs the tracks while they're still being cached by Pandora. A problem though: all the tracks are being put into their proper directory, but under the debug log, its doing stuff like:

Error Processing "Hybrid - In Good We Trust (Soundtrack Edit).mp3"

Skipping track "Hybrid - In Good We Trust (Soundtrack Edit).mp3", already ripped

318 Scan(s) completed for 3 Temp Dir(s)

Error Processing "Ulver - Hallways Of Always.mp3"

Skipping track "Ulver - Hallways Of Always.mp3", already ripped

480 Scan(s) completed for 3 Temp Dir(s)

Why the errors with processing? All the files are going to the right place, but this is a little annoying. Currently running Windows Vista, using Firefox 2.0.0.11, Pandorarip v1.0.6.0, Flash8.0 r24 (thanks to Grease Monkey - does this program need this?). Other than that, tagging, and you're done, so long as it doesn't miss any songs or misname some and overwrite others, or something along those lines. :D

Wish list: fourth setting for track layout: ArtistAlbumTitle.mp3 - if we already know who the artist is based on the folder, why reiterate it in the track title? :)

A problem though: all the tracks are being put into their proper directory, but under the debug log, its doing stuff like:

Error Processing "Hybrid - In Good We Trust (Soundtrack Edit).mp3"

Skipping track "Hybrid - In Good We Trust (Soundtrack Edit).mp3", already ripped

318 Scan(s) completed for 3 Temp Dir(s)

Error Processing "Ulver - Hallways Of Always.mp3"

Skipping track "Ulver - Hallways Of Always.mp3", already ripped

480 Scan(s) completed for 3 Temp Dir(s)

Why the errors with processing? All the files are going to the right place, but this is a little annoying.

Because those tracks are already ripped. It's called debug log for a reason. The copyfile function fails with an error hence file already exists.

Other than that, tagging, and you're done, so long as it doesn't miss any songs or misname some and overwrite others, or something along those lines. :D

If anything got misnamed then Pandora's service would be broken. All files are cross-referenced using their own metadata.

Wish list: fourth setting for track layout: ArtistAlbumTitle.mp3 - if we already know who the artist is based on the folder, why reiterate it in the track title? :)

Ok.

Hello again konfoo,

I was wondering if there was any news on the problem I've been having where not every track that passes through the player is parsed correctly even if the sniffer is active and the uncached tracks option is checked.

The only thing I'm not doing as per your recommendations is running vista x64 and not xp.

Cheers

I was wondering if there was any news on the problem I've been having where not every track that passes through the player is parsed correctly even if the sniffer is active and the uncached tracks option is checked.

The only thing I'm not doing as per your recommendations is running vista x64 and not xp.

OS should not make any difference. I notice your log files have no 'Sniffed media' and 'Sniffed metadata' entries. Did you have the sniffer active at that point in time? If so, and you pasted the entire log, and this was not an initial startup, you should see these entries. If not, your network card may not be supported by the sniffer. Most wifi cards do not work, and there are some desktop cards that also have issues entering promiscuous monitoring mode.

Hey man-couple of questions:

1) Can you specify the directory for it each track to save to? I'm asking because with PJ I have 2 folders-one for workout music and another for general.

2) PJ has issues with 2.0.0.10 and above-is this a problem with PandoraRip, also?

3) I don't understand (and never have :() how to make Flash work with FirefoxPortable-could you please help me out?

4) I've never tried Flash Switcher-does it let you install Flash 9 and then revert to Flash 8 when you need it? That'd be cool-I've simply kept my Flash at 8 permanently... Maybe I should check the forums more often  :P (Darn fast-updating technology!)

Thanks a ton for the obvious effort you've put into this app!

1) Can you specify the directory for it each track to save to? I'm asking because with PJ I have 2 folders-one for workout music and another for general.

Not yet. It will be configurable in the next version. I am not doing any dev work over the vacation ;) so it will be after the 1st.

2) PJ has issues with 2.0.0.10 and above-is this a problem with PandoraRip, also?

Not that I know of. I did all dev using Flash 8.x and 2.0.0.10

3) I don't understand (and never have :() how to make Flash work with FirefoxPortable-could you please help me out?

Just copy the right flash plugin from your existing install to the firefox portable install.

4) I've never tried Flash Switcher-does it let you install Flash 9 and then revert to Flash 8 when you need it? That'd be cool-I've simply kept my Flash at 8 permanently... Maybe I should check the forums more often  :P (Darn fast-updating technology!)

Yep.

Thank you very very much.. Just perfect but I have a problem. Sometimes the song stops before finish (and then go to the next song), I think it´s not a problem from pandoraRip but I don´t know why there are a lot of my songs incomplete. It´s a problem from pandora.com? thank you (waiting for the pandorarip update version)

The two suggestions I would give to improve the program would be:

1.  Remember me checking the accept checkbox for the EULA.  Unless I'm missing something, it's annoying to have to check it every time I start the program.

2.  Option to disable the systray pop-up when a new song is found.

3.  Change the behavior (or at least make it configurable) so that the X in the upper right corner doesn't close the program, rather it minimizes it to the systray.  I don't know how many times I've meant to minimize it but ended up closing it instead.