Introducing the WiFi Pineapple TETRA

Darren Kitchen

Why the name TETRA? TETRA is a very common trunked radio system, for example a lot of police, prison service and corporations use it globally in ether its none encrypted or optional encrypted forms.

Edited by metatron

Why the name TETRA[/size]? TETRA[/size] is a very common trunked radio system, for example a lot of police, prison service and corporations use it globally in ether its none encrypted or optional encrypted forms.

Tetra as in four? Given the antenna it makes sense... It's not an abbreviation but a name. TETRA is an abbreviation of Trans-European Trunked RAdio which is now know has TErrestrial Trunked Radio.

Given they work in different spheres and that context provides clarity, it doesn't seem a big issue. Further, it's a model name not the name of the device/system. It's like complaining that people could get confused between Windows Vista and Altavista (both of which no one should think too hard about lest the nightmares return).

Tetra as in four? Given the antenna it makes sense... It's not an abbreviation but a name. TETRA is an abbreviation of Trans-European Trunked RAdio which is now know has TErrestrial Trunked Radio.

Given they work in different spheres and that context provides clarity, it doesn't seem a big issue. Further, it's a model name not the name of the device/system. It's like complaining that people could get confused between Windows Vista and Altavista (both of which no one should think too hard about lest the nightmares return).

Correct - tetra as in four. Officially, the product is called the "WiFi Pineapple TETRA".

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Jaw dropping awesomeness guys! Can't wait to get mine and start hacking around. This thing looks so perf! Do you have a timeline on when intro/explainer videos will be released? There was word about a developer hangout - whats the skinny DK/Seb?

Great job as always guys! Consistently awesome products from a small band of intrepid hackers. I'll continue to vote with my dollars as long as you continue to innovate and keep raising the bar.

telot

• Upvote 1

Why didn't you just release both at the same time now some people will find something wrong on the nano just to return it So before i order this unit theres no more new Pineapple coming out this year. @darren

They're going to wait for you to buy one, then release the new wifi pineapple penta. :cool:

Edited by barry99705
  • Upvote 1

Why didn't you just release both at the same time now some people will find something wrong on the nano just to return it So before i order this unit theres no more new Pineapple coming out this year. @darren

TL;DR - Mark 6 = TETRA && NANO. No new WiFi Pineapples in 2016.

The NANO and TETRA will be the only two WiFi devices in the 6th generation WiFi Pineapple line. They also share the same software platform.

The NANO and the TETRA serve two different roles and use cases due to their form factors and frequency ranges. Similarly due to their relative complexity they're at two different cost tiers. This is the first time since the Mark I that a generation has had more than one device. One of the reasons we chose this route is to continue serving the enthusiast market while offering a secondary dual-band solution for professionals. Both devices are very capable, but with the cost and complexity of dual-band, amplifiers, NAND flash, etc in the TETRA - we were unable to produce a single design that would satisfy both markets. We also very much wanted a mobile-centric device, hence the NANO. Depending on the deployment scenario they can work together harmoniously, especially in large scale environments.

The NANO was available later than anticipated while the TETRA far sooner than anticipated. While this is not ideal in a mainstream context, both devices are still only in development phases software wise hence being offered to the community first. With the upcoming API release and modules, we're on track for a simultaneous mass market release soon.

Developing this hardware requires an immense amount of time and resources -- over a year in fact -- so I think it's a safe bet we won't be moving into a 7th generation in 2016. The next hardware project on the horizon for us is what we're dubbing the "Pineapple Core" -- an ARM-based companion device for both WiFi Pineapples in the 6th generation line.

PS: Thanks all for sending me down a wikipedia rabbit hole of IUPAC nomenclature. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUPAC_numerical_multiplier :tongue:

• Upvote 3

TL;DR - Mark 6 = TETRA && NANO. No new WiFi Pineapples in 2016.

The NANO and TETRA will be the only two WiFi devices in the 6th generation WiFi Pineapple line. They also share the same software platform.

The NANO and the TETRA serve two different roles and use cases due to their form factors and frequency ranges. Similarly due to their relative complexity they're at two different cost tiers. This is the first time since the Mark I that a generation has had more than one device. One of the reasons we chose this route is to continue serving the enthusiast market while offering a secondary dual-band solution for professionals. Both devices are very capable, but with the cost and complexity of dual-band, amplifiers, NAND flash, etc in the TETRA - we were unable to produce a single design that would satisfy both markets. We also very much wanted a mobile-centric device, hence the NANO. Depending on the deployment scenario they can work together harmoniously, especially in large scale environments.

The NANO was available later than anticipated while the TETRA far sooner than anticipated. While this is not ideal in a mainstream context, both devices are still only in development phases software wise hence being offered to the community first. With the upcoming API release and modules, we're on track for a simultaneous mass market release soon.

Developing this hardware requires an immense amount of time and resources -- over a year in fact -- so I think it's a safe bet we won't be moving into a 7th generation in 2016. The next hardware project on the horizon for us is what we're dubbing the "Pineapple Core" -- an ARM-based companion device for both WiFi Pineapples in the 6th generation line.

PS: Thanks all for sending me down a wikipedia rabbit hole of IUPAC nomenclature. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUPAC_numerical_multiplier :tongue:

Thank you Darren for the reply

@barry99705 Sad theres always a person on a forums with a smart remark so do me and yourself a favor keep the dumb reply to yourself

Chill dude it was a joke not a \x38\x3d\x3d\x3d\x3d\x44, don't take it so hard.

Edited by sud0nick

Jaw dropping awesomeness guys! Can't wait to get mine and start hacking around. This thing looks so perf! Do you have a timeline on when intro/explainer videos will be released? There was word about a developer hangout - whats the skinny DK/Seb?

Great job as always guys! Consistently awesome products from a small band of intrepid hackers. I'll continue to vote with my dollars as long as you continue to innovate and keep raising the bar.

telot

Ditto that! They have absolutely proven themselves to me. A band of bad ass, out of the box thinking, next generation hackers developing and writing the future of hacking! Making Mitnick proud on a daily basis. WTG guys!

Awesome happy-new-year-2016 to all & the Hak5 team,

I'm a newcomer to wifi pineapple, have been looking for kit, order a Tetra-tactical and some other bits. Best belated xmas ever!

After reading some pineapple veterans posts, I'm now curious to learn more about this proposed Pine-core expansion for 6th gen.

What's the functionality planned for it; where is the 6th gen platform heading, any teasers? :)

Keen for some insight before I shed some more cash for HackRF one.

Cheers