Hak5 (EU?) Meetup Part Deux

DarkSenay

I have another question since I didn't went to a previous gathering. But how long does it takes? I mean, is it just one day or a coupple of days?

Last time we had a core of people who stuck around for a few days and a couple of extras who came for just part of it, it was pretty laid back, if you couldn't make it for the whole meetup you could come along for just a day or a few hours. Considering if we do end up in Belgium or the Netherlands though, some of us will be traveling a fair distance so it's likely to be somewhere between a few days and a week I'd imagine. That'll be decided a little closer to the time though, so keep an ear out for further discussion.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually being 18+ (makes things easier) and in the right location.
check :p

also i guess we should let a local person organise the meet or at least the location (reserve seats/tables at a nice bar or something ... somewhere to hang)

Organisation will be solidified a little more as the meeting gets a little closer but anyone can chip in with thoughts, ideas and suggestions. As VaKo said, the last meetup was 18+ and I'd suggest the same applies this time too, it saves a lot of trouble with age limits on accommodation and drinking establishments. You don't necessarily have to be a Hak5 fan but if you're not of a slightly technical persuasion then it might not be the best meetup to attend. Anyone is welcome though, much as last time, and we look forward to meeting a few more members of the community.

I can take the organizational lead on this if need be. It seemed to turn out okay the last time....

Plus this being my second time around, i know what works, and what doesn't.

I have registered #hackpack on the irc.mintirc.net network, so join up there and get some discussions going.

So far there seems to be alot of favor behind Netherlands/Belgium, which sounds great to me.

I'll schedule some sort of meeting once we get a greater following in the IRC channel and once i know there is enough support to actually do this again.

I'd attend another one if it was in the UK (anywhere south of Oxford, London ideally), Las Vegas or Berlin. If it's somewhere else I'd think about it.

I'd come to Las Vegas but then it would mostlikely be 21+ because thats the age you need to be to sit at the tables

And if it's after the 15th I'll be able to play and would love to join in.

I vote the 16th or the 23rd.

Well any when from 4th of August to the 11th would be ideal for me if it's in Vegas, although I'm happy going there any time of the year. If it's not in Vegas any time other then those dates are good for me.
if we do do vegas in august, just remember summer+ desert

Well any when from 4th of August to the 11th would be ideal for me if it's in Vegas, although I'm happy going there any time of the year. If it's not in Vegas any time other then those dates are good for me.

if we do do vegas in august, just remember summer+ desert

I like the heat, plus everywhere has aircon so it really doesn't matter

I'd be up for a meet anywhere in europe. I *might* be in las vegas for defcon but I don't know yet, I may not be able to afford that, or if i'm there with work I wont be able to run off to hackpack meets all day lol.

I think meets in the us vs meets in europe will pull a pretty different crowd based on who can get there. though some people can get anywhere of course. It'd be cool to get meets in different places but in a sense they become totally different events then.

What happened with the idea to hold it in Belgium/The Netherlands/The UK?

We could easily have two. There seems to be something of a belief that if a meetup happens, it's THE meetup. This doesn't have to be the case, if someone over in the good ol' US of A can work something out, maybe get a few other involved, whip up a plan, then all the better. Hell, if there's enough people in Russia then have a meet there.

The whole community can't get to [obscure location in Buttfuck, USA] or [in The Sticks, England], it's just not gonna happen, so if there's no meetup being organised near you, organise one!

I think we'll have enough work getting enough folks to make one meetup....

Most of the people who turned up last year, or were going to turn up, won't want to fork out just to fly to the US for a meetup.

Fair enough so UK or anywhere that no more than an hours flight. Dublin maybe, or Belfast.