Hak5 (EU?) Meetup Part Deux

DarkSenay

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a reply from the helter skelter hostel and I said that we would probably be with 8 till 10 people. Now they tried to put us in seperated rooms etc. But I thought it would be nicer if we all sleep in the dormitory. That's a room for 168€/night (for us all) with 12 beds in it. Now, we still don't know how many people would come but the guys from the hostel said that we can wait with booking until 2 days before the arrival. But I think we should setup a deathline to subscribe, let's say the 1st of august?

Untill then we can deside what exactly we are planning to do etc. so that other people who are still hesitating to come can see what we are up to.

Also, please register your name at the HackPack08-page so it is easier to see how many people will come.

I forgot to mention: breakfast is 9€/person for the 3 mornings.

Even if we are with 7 people, we still can take a dormitory, but that would be 24€/night ,still, it's reasonable. so the more people there are coming the more cheaper it is.

Note: if we are only with 6 we could take the 6 person dorm for 18€/night

Sounds alright, do you have a paypal account where people can help with the deposit, when it comes to booking? Just PM it when it comes time.

Yeah I have a paypal account, but wait untill I have booked. I'll pay everything in advance but I first need to know how many people will come. Once we know with how many people we are I'll PM then all of the "signed up" people.

Yeah I have a paypal account, but wait untill I have booked. I'll pay everything in advance but I first need to know how many people will come. Once we know with how many people we are I'll PM then all of the "signed up" people.

Sure.

Anyway as for things to do, the day when most people will get in will be the Thursday and I think most people will be leaving on the Sunday night/early Monday. So the best time to plan anything will be the Friday, Saturday and maybe some stuff Sunday morning.

Last time people that arrived went to a bar near the hostel for something to eat and drink, that allowed everyone to find each other. (people that are coming may want to exchange phone numbers). It worked fairly well and it allows everyone to have a look around the area, relax and talk, after all besides a few of us, we have never met and the ones that have only met the once, gel a bit as they say.

I think the best bet for the Thursday will be just gelling (for lack of a better word) and playing with some of the equipment people bring along, that way the rest of the time will go smoothly as we will know each other a little better.

The rest of the week I have no idea, geek stuff, hacking and so on, I'm sure more ideas will come along. I think if we are going to the German Museum of Technology, Friday would be the best day, so we have less people around if we decide to "use" some of their equipment.

Sounds like some good stuff going on here. I'm in for sure, lets make this meetup better than the last! (not that the last one sucked or anything, but there's always room for improvement, especially since Berlin is 1/2 the cost of London)

A big thanks goes out to everyone involved in the planning of this. Keep up the good work!

Sounds like some good stuff going on here. I'm in for sure, lets make this meetup better than the last! (not that the last one sucked or anything, but there's always room for improvement, especially since Berlin is 1/2 the cost of London)

A big thanks goes out to everyone involved in the planning of this. Keep up the good work!

Yeah, well this year people know what worked and what didn't, I think more things need to be lined up, I have a few ideas. That way if people want to do something they can or they can just do whatever their up for. If anyone come up with ideas, just add them to the list and if people want to do them it will happen.

If anyone is up for it we can always do a little Geocaching, and if not it's always useful to have a handheld GPS unit with me.

okay, apparently the big dormitory is full. But we still can get a XL apartment which is for 8 persons for 160€/night or if we're with 10 we could take the XXL apartment for 180€/night.

But if we would like to be closer to the centre and if we're still with 8 people we could take the baxpax down town hostel which is very close to the centre.

So I'm willing to replace the deadline for subscriptions to the 15th of July so that we definitely can book and that I certainly have booked something around the 20th July.

EDIT: I've removed the dormitory stuff on the hackpack wiki

okay, apparently the big dormitory is full. But we still can get a XL apartment which is for 8 persons for 160€/night or if we're with 10 we could take the XXL apartment for 180€/night.

But if we would like to be closer to the centre and if we're still with 8 people we could take the baxpax down town hostel which is very close to the centre.

So I'm willing to replace the deadline for subscriptions to the 15th of July so that we definitely can book and that I certainly have booked something around the 20th July.

EDIT: I've removed the dormitory stuff on the hackpack wiki

I really don't mind a bed is a bed, as long as it's near stuff. 15th of July sounds okay too.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay this is the new status for the meetup.

After I contacted several hostels (I think 9 hostels or something, and they had all booked their 8 person bedroom) I came across eastseven it's also near the centre of Berlin, and they have free internet access, even in the rooms. So I booked from the 11th till the 14th September.

Here are the costs:

8 persons showing up: 56€/person for the whole stay

7 persons showing up: 63,60€/person

6 persons showing up: 73,60€/person

5 persons showing up: 87,8€/person

Now we can discuss how late and where we will meet. We can check in on the 11th September after 15.00.

So that's about it for the moment.

Okay this is the new status for the meetup.

After I contacted several hostels (I think 9 hostels or something, and they had all booked their 8 person bedroom) I came across eastseven it's also near the centre of Berlin, and they have free internet access, even in the rooms. So I booked from the 11th till the 14th September.

Here are the costs:

8 persons showing up: 56€/person for the whole stay

7 persons showing up: 63,60€/person

6 persons showing up: 73,60€/person

5 persons showing up: 87,8€/person

Now we can discuss how late and where we will meet. We can check in on the 11th September after 15.00.

So that's about it for the moment.

Cool, I just need to book flights now.

Edit:

From

Heathrow (London) Terminal 5

Departing

11 September 2008

07:15 (local time)

To

Tegel (Berlin)

Arriving

11 September 2008

10:05 (local time)

With BA

I'll be going up the night before as it's an early flight and drinking some kind of beer and coffee blend to keep myself wired. Anyway if anyone books the same flight or a later one and is there at the same time, we can fire up the laptops and have a play around in Terminal 5.

If you arrive at 10:05, get out on the street let's say at 10:30, what will you do for the next four/five hours?

Go get some breakfast/lunch/coffee, have a look around the city, find the hostel, have a beer or two, pick up the new Das keyboard and then find a bar near the hostel that I can find some wifi from and relax and wait for other people to turn up.

I don't really know 100% but it's a big city so I'll find something to do.

I still have to look how late I will arrive. Think around noon or something. The problem is I have to travel trough Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany and there are very few decent sites which have a combined route planner. But I'll manage somehow :)

Also I think it should be the best if we meet at a bar. Or at least change out some cellphone numbers before departure if anything should go wrong with someone of us.

Why not exchanging jabber ID's or email adresses? There are many unsecured/free wlan hotspots so there shouldn't be any problem.

And Google Maps can provide a decent routing planner for free (except if you count user data which you give them)

I still have to look how late I will arrive. Think around noon or something. The problem is I have to travel trough Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany and there are very few decent sites which have a combined route planner. But I'll manage somehow :)

Also I think it should be the best if we meet at a bar. Or at least change out some cellphone numbers before departure if anything should go wrong with someone of us.

Just looked at google maps, the airport I land in is not a huge distance about 8 miles, so I may walk and have a look around the city while I'm at it. Hopefully I won't get as lost as Moonlit did, haha.

Why not exchanging jabber ID's or email adresses? There are many unsecured/free wlan hotspots

Yeah good idea

Google Maps can provide a decent routing planner for free

But not for trains etc...

Just looked at google maps, the airport I land in is not a huge distance about 8 miles, so I may walk and have a look around the city while I'm at it. Hopefully I won't get as lost as Moonlit did, haha.

I probably go with the train from the Netherlands/Belgium to Berlin.

Moonlit got lost? how came? :lol: