Hak5 (EU?) Meetup Part Deux

DarkSenay

it'll depend heavily on who's there because many potential attendees might be unable to participate for lack of knowledge.

And which knowledge is certainly required? I'm asking this cause I have a lack of several linux distributions. And even if I have a lack of knowledge, would it then be a good Idea to go?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it'll depend heavily on who's there because many potential attendees might be unable to participate for lack of knowledge.

And which knowledge is certainly required? I'm asking this cause I have a lack of several linux distributions. And even if I have a lack of knowledge, would it then be a good Idea to go?

Sure, but that's what I mean, there will be people of all abilities there... there's little point in organising a complicated competition if 2 people at best will understand it. If it did happen and there were people who weren't interested in the competition, those who didn't want to participate would be free to do whatever. This is an advantage of it being fluid, if half the group wanted to play CTF but the other half didn't, that's cool, the other guys can watch and learn, they could go stock up on booze, they could go outside for a communal cigarette session, they could go and explore the town.

No real requirements really, at least there weren't last time... feel free to bring whatever you feel you need, laptop, phone, PDA, router, stuff like that, but don't forget that you may need to carry it around with you at some point and that the more kit you bring, the more you have to keep track of when you drag it all out to play (risk of loss, theft).

I would love to see a full on con but I’d say it is more likely to be like an extended 2600/DEFCON/CCC/LUG monthly meeting.

For sure, full blown cons take way more than we could do now. But aiming for "con-like" makes a meeting a lot better. In fact metatrons whole post made a lot of sense, kudos lol.

A meeting/conference room would be a nice idea but I'd question our need for one, last time I think the hostel lounge was sufficient

I'm not sure, it all depends on cost of course, but it would be nice to have our own space. It was hard to do our own slightly unusual thing in the hostel. If a meeting room is too large/expensive we might consider just getting a larger hotel suit and using that during the day.

We're actually doing something like this at work next friday and saturday, gong off to some country estate with i think self catering accomodation and generally hacking the place up and presenting to each other with a no-slides-hands-on feel. Of course we'll be doing much more structured stuff cos its based on research people have done but the general way its done, low key but with our own space, is a good model.

Intoxication is a natural option but it's not something we need to do during the whole meetup

If people wanna grab a beer, they grab a beer. That prtty much worked last time.

And which knowledge is certainly required?

Preferably none would be required. Just fun accessable things. The subject of knowledge was only raised because super-leet-skillz events are fun, but not practical for our purposes lol. Its more something to bear in mind when we come up with ideas.

So here's what I'm thinking. For most people who come there should be little to no requirements, except maybe a room booking or contribution (or not depending what we do). But I think we need to get a few people together who are responsible for stuff. Bringing key things, setting stuff up, whatever.

For everyone wondering whats going on, sit tight, stuffs being worked out here, don't think anythign you've read so far is final.

Okay so if we are going to do this, we may as well learn from last year. If it's in Berlin or the UK I know a few people in them and I can send my kit over two weeks in advance to make sure it can be set up and does not get nicked by BA again.

I have bought a new domain, virtual dedicated servers and a few other bits just for this so DNS/ ICMP tunneling will be available among other things.

I will also bring a more powerful version of this http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/261/42/

predator-s.jpg

I will also bring a more powerful version of this http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/261/42/

Nice 8-)

Before we get lost in details we should define a date or a time frame (mhm, correct word?).

July? August? September?

Everything is still open I think although some said september it still can be any time. (as far as I know...)

Before we get lost in details we should define a date or a time frame (mhm, correct word?).

July? August? September?

August or September would be okay with me and it gives us enough time to put shit together and/or book time off work.

Three days seemed to work well last time. I'd go with the same idea. Meet up Friday morning/afternoon for something to eat and few beers and then travel home Sunday afternoon/Monday morning.

Nice 8-)

July? August? September?

Everything is still open I think although some said september it still can be any time. (as far as I know...)

Yeah just ordered the parts, I'm going with a more powerful AP with an Atheros chipset and a 22.5dBi parabolic antenna.

cool, i might be at defcon in august so at least from my perspective and possibly others it'd be cool not to clash with that. thats august 8-10 plus some days before and after for travel. If anyone knows of any other events going on that might cause annoying clashes speak up quick before we pick a date, which should be pretty soon by the way things are going.

I read through 3 pages of posts but i still seam to be lacking information

Where and when?

has this been decided yet?

i think i've gone blind i can't remember any of what i just read.

As far as I know there is nothing decided yet. Although I can give you a short summary of the previous 3 pages:

When: somewhere in july, august or september

Where: There's a high chanche that it will be Berlin but that's not certain.

I read through 3 pages of posts but i still seam to be lacking information

Where and when?

has this been decided yet?

i think i've gone blind i can't remember any of what i just read.

As far as I know there is nothing decided yet. Although I can give you a short summary of the previous 3 pages:

When: somewhere in july, august or september

Where: There's a high chanche that it will be Berlin but that's not certain.

lol, yeah. I think more structure may need to be added to this thread. People seem happy with Berlin but there is still the Amsterdam option (not a big fan of that). I say the best idea is to have a meeting on IRC, maybe skype for the people that are interested in coming and would be able to make it and work out a date and location.

I think we can agree on the same rules as last year over 18 as we don't want to be responsible legally for anyone other then ourself.

Once we have a solid date and location planning can go forward.   

Last year the thread was much the same, ideas and thoughts batted around a bit before the decision was made and I think that's kinda nice for a bit, it allows a decent amount of discussion before making the big points a bit more solid. If we wanna make this a bit more concrete though (and bear in mind we still have a little while before it needs to be set in stone) I think a vote would be a good idea, just so we can get an at-a-glance idea of what people are thinking.

Edit:

Date: http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9057

Nice one moonlit.

And let me reiterate, this is a planning (and ideas) thread. The event doesn't just pop into existence by itself, when there's some solid plans some page will be put up, maybe on the wiki maybe on the site somewhere, with definitive information. If you aren't interested in helping to plan or suggesting ideas but just want to be told when and where and show up, wait for that. But of course, getting involved now is also encouraged!

I think it would be safe to say there will likely be no more then 20 people and even then some might only be there in the day, as that happened in London. It's just a matter of finding a few hostels and working out which one has the best facilities/location and getting everyone that wants to come to paypal some money over for a deposit.

DarkSenay handled the money last year so he can be trusted after all we don't know each other that well.

Haven't that much expierence with hostels in Germany, (only with a youthhostel in Trier) but is it the meaning to rent a big room or all little rooms. Just wondering...

Big room most likely but there is nothing stopping people from booking into a hotel if they want more luxury, although they would miss a bit of the experience and some of the in jokes that come up.

Hostels are what they are, a cheap way of staying in a city, but they also tend to be a lot of fun with a party atmosphere in some (last year people were having a toga party) and can be quite nice. Just do a Google search for "Berlin hostels" and some have photo's and give you an idea of accommodation.