No infusions available at Pineapple Bar

fercato

Hello forum.

I'm having troubles with my Pineapple Mark V. Actually there is no infusions available in the Pineapple Bar. I have checked and the pineapple has internet connection. However, in the network tag when I click on Show IP, no text is displayed. I need to install a new infusion because I'm in the middle of a wireless pentest. I know that the pineapple try to contact cloud.pineapple.com in order to get the infusion list. Is it possible that the cloud server is down and that's why is not working?

Here is an screenshot:

https://imgur.com/Hyi7abe

And here is what it happens after clicking show in the Network tab.

https://imgur.com/fQ8HgLM

Again, I have performed a research and I found that in the past this already happened.

Anyone has any solution?

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help.

Hello,

I think I found a solution. In summary:

1. I installed the Firmware 3.0 Beta.

2. Connected MarkV to internet network (a wifi with internet connection) but still an error connection was presented on the screen.

3. Went to network settings and set the default route through the wifi interface (where I connected the pineapple to internet) in my case wlan1.

4. Refresh and update DNS in the network settings.

Then I was able to list and install infusions. I think, the solution has to be with the DNS update. That worked for me. Nevertheless, If you have an old firmware you may check DNS and default gateway, I don't remember whether firmwares 2.3/2.4 have this feature.

Hope this works

Regards.

Hello. Thank you very much for your answer. In my case I have installed firmware 2.4. I’m not interested in updating to 3.0 since is in beta. 

Regarding the bug, I have the default route set to wan1 as you, but how did you refresh and update the dns settings? I mean, did you changed DNS configuration using SSH?

Thank you

Hello,

I finally solved it. I tested it many times and it worked for me.

1. Set default route manually. In my case the internet connection was on wlan1. I update the routing table by setting the default route to be my router ip address (192.168.0.1). The MKV could reach it on wlan1. I did it on the web interface. See attached image1.

2. Reset DNS. In Firmware 3 you can do it in the web interface. Don't know in 2.4.  See attached image2.

3. List of infusions ok. See image3. Just try to find the way to replicate from Fw3 to Fw2.4

The good news: there is nothing wrong with the repository. The problem was routing for me. Hope it works for you too.

https://imgur.com/OABbQPI
https://imgur.com/qY4bw7H
https://imgur.com/NcuuYvy

Regards

6 hours ago, Sebkinne said:

Sorry about that - we moved the website behind cloudflare and the mk5 firmware is too old to support its tls connection. 

I have reverted the change for now, but I can't speak for the future. 

Hello and thank you for the information. I really appreciate that you reverted the configuration. However, I want to as why are going to leave supporting firmware 2.4. As far as I know, firmware 2.4 is the latest stable firmware for the Mark V. Firmware 3.0 is still in beta version and according to people from the forum it has many bugs with the mark V and some infusions. So, why is that? I used pineapple for professional work and And in my case the tetra is not the best option, so I want to continue with the mark V. And if you are not going to support the mark V any longer, can I just download the infusions and installed by hand? Is that possible? O can I modify the DNS to your new URL?

thank you very much.

1 hour ago, Foxtrot said:

@Chewby 2.4.0 is the latest stable release firmware for the Mark V.

Exactly. You are right. I don’t understand why are they removing all the infusions. I want to know if there is any option to installed the infusions by hand, so we can backup that and used them when necessary. 

I hope Sebkinne can give us a solution for the future.

thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

2 hours ago, fercato said:

Exactly. You are right. I don’t understand why are they removing all the infusions. I want to know if there is any option to installed the infusions by hand, so we can backup that and used them when necessary. 

I am unsure on what you mean. We haven’t removed any of the Mark V infusions, they were unreachable from the Mark V as a side effect of moving our services behind CloudFlare.

19 minutes ago, Foxtrot said:

I am unsure on what you mean. We haven’t removed any of the Mark V infusions, they were unreachable from the Mark V as a side effect of moving our services behind CloudFlare.

Ok. I mean that, that you moved the service.

But Sebkinne said this:

10 hours ago, Sebkinne said:

Sorry about that - we moved the website behind cloudflare and the mk5 firmware is too old to support its tls connection. 

"I can't speak for the future". 

So that's why I'm asking if there is any way of changing DNS or whatever it takes to point to your services in case you move them again.

Thank you.

Regards.

Hi guys,

Let me start by saying that the WiFi Pineapple MKV has been end-of-life since late 2015. As such, it has not received any firmware updates (apart from a 3.0 preview).

The issue mentioned in this thread was caused by us switching to an infrastructure that disables some older and less secure cipher suites. Unfortunately the WiFi Pineapple MKV requires the older cipher suites, so it failed to connect.

We will try to keep the MKV functioning as long as possible. That said, we do not want to hold back our infrastructure because of an old and no longer supported device.

Edit: It may be possible to get support for more modern security onto the MKV, but I haven't looked into it.

• 6 months later...
On 11/13/2017 at 5:49 PM, Sebkinne said:

Edit: It may be possible to get support for more modern security onto the MKV, but I haven't looked into it.

Any updates on TLS support for MK5 Pineapple? I dug mine out and was trying to get it going again and would love to grab some infusions or a way to load them offline if not. Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I fully understand HAK5 commercial position.
However the community is still active for the mark V and the firmware 3.0 still a beta - Pineap doesn t start, ...

Can anyone replicate on a github repo all firmware 2.4.0 compatibles modules ?
We will install them manually or i will host them, there is always a way ...

My mark 4 is still alive. Big thanks to Whistlemaster effort : https://github.com/WhistleMaster/Pineapple-MK4.
Thank you for helping me, us, doing the same with our mark V.

And word of frog, I will buy a tetra in the autumn.
Thank you very much for your help and time.

I still use the mark V for demonstration purposes and testing and learning with linux. sometimes a file gets edited the wrong way in a ssh session and then I have to reset the wifi pineapple. problem now is that, as mentioned above, there are no more infusion to download through the pineapplebar.

Would be nice to have a place where all the old 2.4.0 infusions are stored so I can continue to use the mark V's I have. great hardware and works great. 

so I hope someone has any suggestions to manually get those infusions installed because the previous suggestions somehow do not seem to work anymore. 

example:link to download and place where to store the files on the pineapple.

I hope more people can reply so the hak5 team can see the mark V community is still alive!

Hello community.

I still use my wifi pineapple for wireless assessments. I completly understand the end of life of the product. What I can't believe is that there is no way to use the pineapple now. I mean, we can't install infusions now because you, as a company, don't want to provide a different way of installing them. Why can't you put the infusions on some place (i.e github) and give us the chance to install them the by hand? Imagine buying a computer, and some day, you turn it on and you receive the message "Go buy a new computer because this is not working anymore". No way! You can finish the support, you can stop delivering security patches and updates, but you can't in any way leave us without the possibility of using the product. I'm a security professional working on this field for more that 12 years, and the "time to upgrade hardware" policy is something that I would never agree.

I hope that you can think about the posture you are taking, and at least, give us the opportunity con continue using the hardware. We don't ask for support, we don't ask for updates, we don't ask you to maintain a webserver. We ask for a chance of using the product that we bought.

Thank you.

6 hours ago, hexa said:

I still use the mark V for demonstration purposes and testing and learning with linux. sometimes a file gets edited the wrong way in a ssh session and then I have to reset the wifi pineapple. problem now is that, as mentioned above, there are no more infusion to download through the pineapplebar.

Would be nice to have a place where all the old 2.4.0 infusions are stored so I can continue to use the mark V's I have. great hardware and works great. 

so I hope someone has any suggestions to manually get those infusions installed because the previous suggestions somehow do not seem to work anymore. 

example:link to download and place where to store the files on the pineapple.

I hope more people can reply so the hak5 team can see the mark V community is still alive!

I have absolutely the same problem, it would be interesting to know someone's opinion on this matter. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2017 at 1:49 AM, Sebkinne said:

Hi guys,

Let me start by saying that the WiFi Pineapple MKV has been end-of-life since late 2015. As such, it has not received any firmware updates (apart from a 3.0 preview).

The issue mentioned in this thread was caused by us switching to an infrastructure that disables some older and less secure cipher suites. Unfortunately the WiFi Pineapple MKV requires the older cipher suites, so it failed to connect.

We will try to keep the MKV functioning as long as possible. That said, we do not want to hold back our infrastructure because of an old and no longer supported device.

Sebkinne, I and many others would greatly appreciate you considering providing a security update for the MKV. Thank you for the work you do.

hello everybody

I have bought a wifi pineapple mk5 in 2015 . It was so unfortunate that i got to use it just a few days ago.

I am not tech savvy person and I wasn't able to get the infusions working ... 

Is there a way to use the device to its full potential without you hosting the service - i can provide a shared hosting space and i am sure many of your customers and supporters will be happy to use the device at its fullest. 

Technology is moving rapidly and upgrades will always be a must - but I believe it would be a great gesture if you can somehow provide for the mk5.

Even if it needs some kind of a subscription or smth ... 

If this breaches your terms in some way - may be let us upload the infusions manually (i will need a tutorial as I certainly am not a mac genius )

Caring for the older generation of units is like caring for your grand parents - dosent bring you anything but shows a great character 

I am not a US resident - no offence was meant by saying any of the above.

BR 

Alex

On 11/13/2017 at 4:17 AM, Sebkinne said:

So how can I get access to the infusions that were previously available?

Can I install infusions myself? ... E.g. can I dig up the infusions that used to be available and "sideload" them?

FWIW, this is a total bummer. It's one thing to EOL a product, but shutting down resources that had once been available is a real blow to those of us who may not have the capital to upgrade every year or two. I know, I know, TLS. Don't get me wrong - that's great. And I get that you guys might be stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one... but surely there is some way to make available for manual download the old infusion files? Or something? Can I at least pull off my existing infusion(s), so that if I have to do a factory reset, I can sideload again? 

☠️ RIP my pineapple, I guess ... ?

• 1 month later...

I was trying to install some infusions yesterday and found this thread.

So my Mark V is dead now? or there is a repository or way to install it manually?

• 3 weeks later...

For now, what I've found....

1.Factory Reset

2. install new 3.0 beta,

3. DON'T update PineAP, Recon And Logging modules.

That way, the MarkV works, including the PineAP modules.

Then you can install the rest of the included modules as you wish or, if you prefer real pen test success, go manually, theres lots of tutorials.

It's still really good hardware

Archived