Nvidia GTX260

6 gigs triple channel DDR1066mhz PC3 8500

1Tb Drive (probably a seagate)

Some water cooling.. dunno by who

No Monitor/keyboard/mouse

Homebuilt -$1296 -

Core i7-920

Ultra X3 600watt pwr sup (modular)

Smilodon Case (oohhh.. I want that case man)

Nvidia GTX260

6 gigs triple channel DDR1600 PC3 12800

1TB Western Digital Black Drive

Thermaltake ProWater 850i Liquid Cooling System

Swiftech CALDERA-HS Heatsink for AMD HD4870X2

No Monitor/keyboard/mouse

That does not seem like a very good deal.. I just bought my mother a new pc from bestbuy that has 8GB ram, quad core, top of the line, ect.. HDMI, dmi daul monitors card, 1TB HD, ect and it came with a 3 in 1 scanner/printer, and 25" flat widecreen LCD monitor for 899$ + tax with a year warranty from the geek squad(also included is speakers, keyboard & mouse)

I am not sure if it has liquid cooling, i have not opened the box up yet beyond the actual cardboard box it comes in. I beleive it is also DDR3 ram, what is the advantage of liquid cooling and what if it leaks in your pc that would be the finish of it right? I do not beleive I have worked with a PC that has liquid cooling yet, also has anyone else heard a myth about liquid cooling useing gatorade is better because of the electrolites? or is that all BS lol

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i7-920 > quad core, since the chip alone is around 300$US, i highly doubt a store brought PC is going to have liquid cooling. Where did you get it from? its a pretty good price.

liquid cooling isnt for people who dont know what their doing, so therefore if it leaks your really shouldnt have been installing it.

Where did you get it from? its a pretty good price.

That does not seem like a very good deal.. I just bought my mother a new pc from bestbuy...
Best Buy

...with a year warranty from the geek squad
*facepalm*

It may be a pretty good price, but nothing matches the joy of the DIY.

...gatorade is better because of the electrolites?
No, Brawndo: The Thirst Mutilator has electrolytes. (It's what plants crave!) :lol:

Best Buy

*facepalm*

It may be a pretty good price, but nothing matches the joy of the DIY.

No, Brawndo: The Thirst Mutilator has electrolytes. (It's what plants crave!) :lol:

LOL

Idiocracy was a way under-rated movie

Note: I said that PC I got was for my MOM not for me.. do you really think I want to have to fix every little thing on her computer for the next year when I could have geeksquard do it for me? lol I am sure you are familiar with how alot of old people with computers are.. my Dad asked me where the power button was at on it, maybe he is looking for attention, and maybe he doesnt really know how to turn the power on .. eaither way I will be on the phone everyday with them for a year telling them how to open firefox or how to operate their email, if it needs a format or something its nice to have a free year of tech support included with the purchase

good for a intel machine, if i were to get it i would chuck the board and throw in something with a bit more power... aka Phenom 2 Black Edition Quad @ 3.6GHz. more memory banwith :D

LOL

Idiocracy was a way under-rated movie

Note: I said that PC I got was for my MOM not for me.. do you really think I want to have to fix every little thing on her computer for the next year when I could have geeksquard do it for me? lol I am sure you are familiar with how alot of old people with computers are.. my Dad asked me where the power button was at on it, maybe he is looking for attention, and maybe he doesnt really know how to turn the power on .. eaither way I will be on the phone everyday with them for a year telling them how to open firefox or how to operate their email, if it needs a format or something its nice to have a free year of tech support included with the purchase

Agreed.

Also point well taken!

Phenom 2 Black Edition Quad @ 3.6GHz. more memory banwith

Well...

Phenom 2 Black editions only support up to DDR3 -1333 natively, and thats with the higher end boards, and only still support dual channel memory pipes

Core i7 supports up to DDR3 - 2000 with higher end boards and uses triple channel memory pipes.. Also the stock core i7 can be overclocked like a mug, specially with the water cooling, and the memory as well, so it would ultimately leave the Phenom eating dirt.

Don't get me wrong, my pocket book tells me that IF I could afford upgrading my system it would be AMD, and most probably that Phenom 2 Black ed. your speaking of, but if it's for more performance, then I would be going for the Core i7... IMHO though, they price out pretty similar these days.

***BTW @VaKo **** yes.. that is teh bizness!

That does not seem like a very good deal.. I just bought my mother a new pc from bestbuy that has 8GB ram, quad core, top of the line, ect.. HDMI, dmi daul monitors card, 1TB HD, ect and it came with a 3 in 1 scanner/printer, and 25" flat widecreen LCD monitor for 899$ + tax with a year warranty from the geek squad(also included is speakers, keyboard & mouse)

I am not sure if it has liquid cooling, i have not opened the box up yet beyond the actual cardboard box it comes in. I beleive it is also DDR3 ram, what is the advantage of liquid cooling and what if it leaks in your pc that would be the finish of it right? I do not beleive I have worked with a PC that has liquid cooling yet, also has anyone else heard a myth about liquid cooling useing gatorade is better because of the electrolites? or is that all BS lol

Ahem for that price there is no way on earth it has liquid cooling. And also it's a core 2 quad, or a phenom II X4, it's not an i7. i7 current smashes every other cpu out there for desktops. That said the Phenom II X3 and X4 are lovely chips and I have one in my little lanbox for gaming.

As for your "myth"....stay away from watercooling, please......you'll just end up breaking something.

my bad.. I should have quoted NUSHOR in that last post, and I thought he was talking about those specs I posted :P

BTW, @555 - is this the compy you bought your mom?: HP - Pavilion Elite Desktop with AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X4

Pretty nice for the price, AND with a blueray player. nice...

lol thanks, I am kind of Jewish when it comes to buying stuff and always try to research the best value for my money. My mom is happy with it, so I am happy with it. She has a better PC then me :)

btw; the pc you listed does not also include a LCD monitor and 3 and 1 printer (pretty much same box though), which i also received in the 899$ package, I originally got her one of those mini dell boxes from Woot.com for like 500$ but it died within one week and everyone was complaining about it, so I decided to goto the local Mall and buy another Dell and return that to woot which is crazy, because woot does not have a phone number to call.. ( I DID copy the vista serial # off the box for the inconvience though), woot.com = worst return policy ever, no one to talk too over the phone, all done via email,, and they DID try to screw me and say it was never recieved, but eventually it was all worked out. It just sucks when a MAJOR company does not have actual people to call and its all email.

btw; the pc you listed does not also include a LCD monitor and 3 and 1 printer (pretty much same box though), which i also received in the 899$ package

Thought you said it was intel quad? thats a AMD Phenom much higher end proccessor.

When you ACTUALLY think about it, doesn't water cooling seem like a horrible idea?

I've got a factory installed water cooled computer running in my garage right now. It's been running 24/7 for the last four years save for the month I moved and the occasional power outage. Had zero issues with it.

Man.. forget about water cooling , use liquid nitrogen if you truely want the fast processing power lol

[/code]

but no really, now i am getting interested if that pc has water cooling (prob not) but I will have to visit my parents this weekend now and open it up :)

Yup, I've done it. Well for under a thousand Euro that is for my lan box. But that's built from scratch.

Watercooling is only a bad idea if you are some sort of idiot who does not bother to research and be careful. I've only had one leak, and since I don't actually use water but a non conductive liquid coolant designed for liquid cooling computers, nothing blew up at all. Just turned it off. Let it all dry off. No problems at all.

Water cooling has been a pretty safe thing for a while now. Well the only time it really was not was when it was a homebrew only scene where it was all custom built, but as long as you were hella good with a lathe and fittings, then you were good to go.

Reminds me of a page I found a WHIIILE back (well, like 10 years ago type of while) where someone used a non-conductive solution in their deep freezer and put their whole kit in it *not in a case* but I think there were some big temp fluxuations in it and it cracked the board.. Don't ask how that happened, but I remember it was a 333mhz chip he got overclocked to 900mhz. pretty epic back in the day.

You may not even realize it but water cooling (or the concept of it anyway) is used all over the place in higher temp computers these days, even in video cards.

Most higher power video cards have the heatsink on the chip/memory, and has a copper pipe coming out of it into the actual heat sink located a little foreward from the chip. This uses liquid cooling as a heat spreader. Same as a lot of intel chips (Dell has TONS of these in systems).

Right, as promised I finished redoing my pc. So here's some pictures of it as it stands now. Also it is damn near silent at this point bar when it starts up, then the fan controller kicks in.

This is the pc before hand. Two different loops, with one going out the back. Also the CPU block as an XSPC Delta CPU block with the core i7 bracket. It was originally designed for LGA775 but worked fine. It also had a small laing pump with an XSPC top on it to feed the graphics card loop.

DSCF0769.jpg

DSCF0770.jpg

The front also had a double bay resevoir in it from XSPC.

dscf0034.jpg

Overall it wasn't the neatest job, but it had good cooling. The CPU idled around 40C, and under full load was around 75C. (Air cooling that was 50C idle and almost 100C full load) The graphics card was usually between 30C idle and 50C full load (compared to with original HSF at 55C idle and close to 90C full load).

Now the pics of the build:

For this I replaced the dual bay resevoir pump unit at the front, and also replaced the cpu block. The new pump was the little laing with XSPC top that used to do just the graphics card. I switched from two loops to one to keep it all internal and replaced all the fans and fan controller.

So first of all we strip the PC:

DSCF0784.jpg

DSCF0772.jpg

DSCF0772.jpg

Continued next post.

Put the pump and res in their new place

DSCF0776.jpg

Put in the new cpu block, Phobya one

DSCF0775.jpg

Put in the new fan controller, T-balance from MCubed

DSCF0781.jpg

Put the new fans on the radiator

DSCF0774.jpg

Hook it all up and tidy those cables

DSCF0771.jpg

DSCF0778.jpg

Fill the res and do a leak test for an hour

DSCF0783.jpg

DSCF0782.jpg

The bubbles you see in the small resevoir disappated after 4 hours of running. All bubble free and cooling nicely. The drop in noise is unreal, the new fans along with the fan controller, you barely know it's running.

The cooling is the big change. I've clocked my cpu up from 3Ghz to 3.3Ghz, and the idle temps are the same. In and around 40C, the load temps have changed. Under full load it's between 60-65C. Was it worth 6 hours to do it all and neaten up all the cables? Definately.