Episode 5x24

Darren Kitchen

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I can use that on my multipass? That's what I was trying to get at. I want to include windows XP on my multipass. Does it require some partition work so it has its own separate partition on the disk?

Question 2)

Does anyone know where to find just the repair part of Windows XP and Windows Vista on the disk or somewhere else? I remember seeing them just cannot remember where.

So I can use that on my multipass? That's what I was trying to get at. I want to include windows XP on my multipass. Does it require some partition work so it has its own separate partition on the disk?

you can use the iso directly from your boot partition no special partitions needed.

Just wanted to say another big thank you for all the help. I'm actually doing this for a school project and this whole project by Darren and the Hak5 team couldn't have come at a better time. I'm going to be presenting a how-to in class. So thanks again! B)

Still working on the Windows XP installer. Ill have to read the threads again. Simply placing it on the root and calling it gave me a BSOD. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have an XP USB to reference, ill post a fix when I get there.

But even a 72x CD drive is slower than USB 2.0

I've read many places that most mobos that support USB boot only support USB 1.1 boot which would cause a HUGE impact in install time vs USB 2.0. You can try the PLoP bootmanager which is said to be able to force USB 2.0 boot but I only played with it for a second before deleting it because I didn't notice any improvement when booting BT4 or Ophcrack but I can't get the WinXP (BSOD after all drivers are loaded) install to work so I can't test that

G-Stress, you're stressing me out...

Now really, have you not read the posts above?

You can't install Windows or boot from Windows install media from ISO. Well actually, you can boot from the Vista/W7 discs but only for repairs (installs choke).

Now if this a non-ISO install (you've got the files expanded to partition) you need to:

Go into your BIOS and set the disk operating mode to SATA/IDE instead of RAID/AHCI

Actually I got a solution... it involves placing content on your root. I have not tested this yet but it should work.

HOW TO:

Go watch

on YouTube showing how to create a WinXP bootable thumb drive with winsetupfromUSB. This 3rd party software uses grub4dos also so the restructure and .lst contents should be able to transfer right over.

After you're done with that copy the contents of your bootable drive over to your multipass root and use this menu.lst entry

title Windows XP/2000/2003 Setup- First and Second parts
root (hd0,0)
configfile /winsetup.lst
savedefault

You will also need to create a new .lst called winsetup.lst that you can see the entry above is calling. Place it on the root of your drive also.

color black/cyan yellow/cyan
timeout 10
default /windefault

title First part of Windows XP Professional setup
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)/$WIN_NT$.~BT/SETUPLDR.BIN
savedefault 1

title Second part of Windows XP Professional setup
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)/NTLDR
savedefault

These menus are obviously customizable like your menu.lst also so enjoy (Where is that wannabe sexy picture of Bill Gates at again for my Windows Menus???:D ) Now that I'm thinking about it you could really organize your menus with sub-menus and graphics if you wanted to. Hmm.... Let me know if you try and it works I wont get to it till later.

BTW the timeout is short [10] you may want to extend them, and while rolling through the installation you don't need to babysit it, the menu selection will change itself over from first part to second part automatically. I think there might be a way to turn this into unattended I'm not sure yet, ill look into it later. GLHF

Would it be possible for someone with a fully working MULTIPASS to create an archive of it and pot a lik to it, as I am (dispite reading through this entire post) unable to get Trinity, DSL, Ubuntu 9.04 and Ophcrack.

Thanks

see my menu and tree above for everything but trinity. and if you already have a lot on your usb then also see my post about "cheater's trinity how to"

also make sure for dsl that the KNOPPIX dir is in the root of your usb, and check the spelling on you directories if you are getting error 15: file not found for anything.

the big thing in getting trinity to work is nameing/labeling the usb as TRK-3_3 so the boot system is able to find the usb it needs.

ophcrack needs the tables dir in the root of your usb as well.

the point of this stuff is to learn to do it yourself. the best we can do is help you out with specific problems. if there are any specific errors your getting let us know and we'll help you.

Hi

Dont suppose anyone can help. I use USB pen all day and im in the process of making a usb that holds everything i need on 1 drive for my job.

Im a laptop engineer and most days need to Write DMI to HP/Compaq laptops and only way to do this is from DOS. So i have a USB that was formatted with HP Tool and then created it as a startup disk with the win98 files.

Now that works great problem im having is, i cant seem to get to boot do a Dos prompt from GRUB.

Ive tried alsorts, Ive even took a ISO of my USB and tried booting that but got a error, unsure what it was atm.

So, i took all the boot files put them in a folder /win98/

Tried this:

title find and load IO.SYS of Windows 9x/Me/DOS
root (fd0,0)
find --set-root /win98/io.sys
chainloader /win98/io.sys

An then get this error:

Booting find and load IO.SYS

Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0x0C
(fd0)
Will boot MS-Dos 7.x from drive=0x0, partition=0xff(hidden sectors=0x0)
Starting windows 98...

Type the name of the command Interpreter (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)
A>

Can anyone give me any ideas regarding doing this. I just need a command prompt/dos prompt that i can run batch files from.

Also when i tried booting the ISO i made i used:

title Dos
map (fd0,0)/images/dos.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

title Dos
map /images/dos.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)

Both of which failed.

Any ideas people?

Thanks

Hey!

Ugh, took me two long days of Googlin'

Since the show, some software has been updated and not working Correctly.

I found that using syslinux in combination with grub4dos (grub.exe) (Yeah sick huh)

will do the trick.

Im dumping my usb img from Windows 7, takes forever... it's about 3 gig, i will post a torrent to it when im done.

It has

A menu driven system when booting, thus keeping some of the original menus, like Backtrack 4.

Following applications and distributions where added.

OphCrack XP (All options)

OphCrack Vista (All Options)

Backtrack 4 (Non Presistant, with original grub loader)

Memtest

Trinity Rescue Kit (Original options included)

Kon-Boot (Working, tried it on 3 different laptops and one server, also on my GF's Desktop)

DBAN

Im just going to verify that it works out of the box, the other way around (dd to another USB)

I'll Keep you posted... done in a couple of hours..

/Acidgen

The Wino98 ISO cannot find the files, because the ISO mapping disappears when the image is booted. Try using FreeDOS.

Yeah. FreeDOS works fine, or you could actually make a bootable floppy under windows, edit the autoexec.bat, add all the batch files, programs, and files you need onto it and then make a floppy .img from it and map boot that. This worked fine for me :)

Alright I got DBAN working. I had to rename the .IMA file to .IMG and push the memdisk kernal from TRK to the DBAN folder but that it worked.

BUT

• Im still stuck with the /dev/ram0 error with BTpf4
  • I dont know where to find the memtest86 img file
  • OphCrack is upset about the location of the tables. (currently in /multiboot/OphCrack/Tables/XP and Vista subfolders.)
  • And I dont know how to call TRK from Grub

Let me know what worked for you guys.

The problem with this is that in order for ophcrack and most of the livecds they need to be located at the root of the drive, that is why Darren renamed the boot folder from ophcrack to bootoph.

I will try out TRK and add the code

I haven't tried this yet but found this in the Trinity Documentation

-TRK 3.3 is now volume label independent: you can put any volume label you like on your CD/USB stick. You just have to pass the volume label in your syslinux.cfg/isolinux.cfg by adding vollabel=YOURLABEL to the command line. Interesting for people making multiboot CDs.

Link

Acidgen SNK 2.0 Is here...

http://www.lucasarts.se/snk

Installation Instructions: Im NOT responsible for any damage done to you or your computer when using/installing SNK. USB: Approx 3gb Format USB to: FAT32

Unrar NerdyKife2.0.rar

dd if=NerdyKnife2.0.img of=/dev/YOURUSBDRIVE

(You can use dd for Win, but its verry slow)

USB Boot your computer

Enjoy!

Notes:

This works for me, have tried it on mutiple computers

and verified that the dd (back n forth) works fine.

Don't mail me Distribution specific problems.

Your welcome to come up with more ideeas or just thank me.

spam [ath] lucasarts.se

Patch Release for Trinity on SNK

title find and load IO.SYS of Windows 9x/Me/DOS
root (fd0,0)
find --set-root /win98/io.sys
chainloader /win98/io.sys

if i understand what you're trying to do, then you need to have "root (hd0,0)" not "root (fd0,0)".

are you trying to boot from usb or a floppy? if a floppy then ignore me. otherwise if /win98/io.sys is on your usb then the hd instead of fd applies. also you might consider using winimg or dd to make a floppy image to boot off your usb drive if you're booting from floppy.

Hey!

Ugh, took me two long days of Googlin'

Since the show, some software has been updated and not working Correctly.

I found that using syslinux in combination with grub4dos (grub.exe) (Yeah sick huh)

will do the trick.

Im dumping my usb img from Windows 7, takes forever... it's about 3 gig, i will post a torrent to it when im done.

It has

A menu driven system when booting, thus keeping some of the original menus, like Backtrack 4.

Following applications and distributions where added.

OphCrack XP (All options)

OphCrack Vista (All Options)

Backtrack 4 (Non Presistant, with original grub loader)

Memtest

Trinity Rescue Kit (Original options included)

Kon-Boot (Working, tried it on 3 different laptops and one server, also on my GF's Desktop)

DBAN

Im just going to verify that it works out of the box, the other way around (dd to another USB)

I'll Keep you posted... done in a couple of hours..

/Acidgen

Released a 4 GB beta version, patch included, for those with USB problems.