Episode 5x24

Darren Kitchen

Just type it in when you get to the command line, press "Enter", and you should be good.

Did you read what Back|Track outputted after it finished booting? It would have explained what to do.

Edited by H@L0_F00

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

am i just being stupid ? ...

im trying to package geexbox with my live usb stick

title myGeeXbox

find --set-root /multipass/geexbox.iso

map /multipass/geexbox.iso (hd32)

map --hook

root (hd32)

chainloader (hd32)

title GeeXboX

root (hd0,0)

kernel /multipass/geexbox/GEEXBOX/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 rw rdinit=linuxrc boot=UUID=E0EA-97EE lang=en keymap=qwerty splash ...

initrd /multipass/geexbox/GEEXBOX/boot/initrd.gz

quiet

title GeeXboX

root (hd0,0)

kernel /multipass/geexbox2/GEEXBOX/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 rw rdinit=linuxrc boot=UUID=E0EA-97EE lang=en keymap=qwerty splash ...

initrd /multipass/geexbox2/GEEXBOX/boot/initrd.gz

quiet

all of the above work .... but it loads 1/2 way and quits saying that sda1 is already mounted i wanted to boot the image from usb without using the hd .... any help appreciated

i've spent 3/4 hours searching but still no joy .... the only useful information i found is

If you already have a Linux OS installed on your system, you might just want to add a GeeXboX entry to your existing bootloader. This allow you to install GeeXboX very easily.

From GeeXboX CD, simply copy the GEEXBOX folder into your Linux / partition (we suppose it to be /dev/sda1 here). Modify the /boot/grub/menu.lst file to add:

title GeeXboX

root (hd0,1)

kernel /GEEXBOX/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 rw rdinit=linuxrc boot=UUID=$my_uuid lang=en keymap=qwerty splash ...

initrd /GEEXBOX/boot/initrd.gz

quiet

Just take are about two things:

- the field root (hd0,1) is to be adapted according to the rest of your GRUB's configuration.

- the $my_uuid value is the unique ID of your partition. Check within your GRUB config file, which value is set for other OS on the same partition or use ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/ to see which uuid matches your partition.

on ... http://geexbox.org/en/doc.html

... i wanted to impress u guys .... but i've failed :(

yey i wasnt being stupid although ....

title GeeXboX

root (hd0,0)

kernel /GEEXBOX/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 rw rdinit=linuxrc boot=UUID=E0EA-97EE lang=en keymap=qwerty splash ...

initrd /GEEXBOX/boot/initrd.gz

quiet

you need to extract the iso to a usb stick to start using the geexbox application

then copy the geexbox folder to your multi pass adding the code above

and changing the UUID to the UUID of your usb stick this can be found in linux

by going to the terminal and typing

sudo blkid

this will list your partition id's look for the usb stick uuid and add this to your config

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question. I have a 32GB sandisk cruzer. I am going to load several distros on it. I was wondering if on there I could also setup a 10GB partition to store files I might need to take off these damaged PCs. Instead of plugging another thumb drive in. Is this possible?

Thanks for the help!!!

-Josh

• 3 weeks later...
just rename the iso's to something easy like

windows 7 64 bits i call win764.iso

windows versions are easy, just make the iso and put it on your drive,

openoffice cant be installed from dos, as far is i know it needs a OS,

an program same as kon-boot is NTpasswd check this thread how to install, as for an anti-virus Avast got the Bart-Cd a bootable Anti-Virus, cost $40 i thought...

Memtest i dunno, never used it...

DBAN

Freedos

as for freedos just download the .iso, and use this command and it should work...:

(works fine here)

title Freedos
map (hd0,0)/freedos.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

I've tried to this multipass project into my usb drive and this is interesting stuff that I had never done before. and the menu code that I use in my multi-pass is a usb drive is like this:

color blue/black white/blue
timeout 120

title Memory Test 86+
map (hd0,0)/memtest86+.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

title Kon Boot Test
map --mem /FD0-konboot-v1.1-2in1.img (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
rootnoverify (fd0)

title Windows XP Service Pack 3
map (hd0,0)/winxp.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

title Linux Ubuntu 10.04
map (hd0,0)/ubuntu.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

title Free DOS
map (hd0,0)/freedos.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

after that I tried to install windows, all-pass current only with slowly windows setup loading and then I get is a BSOD with the following message like this:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
if this is the firts time you've...bla..bla...

technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFAFA7524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

what's the problems with that and give me help for that?...

same as when I tried to install ubuntu linux and I get an error message like this:

BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.31ubuntu11) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

I'm using acer aspire 3680 notebook, 1GB RAM, with Windows XP SP3 operating system I'm using a usb 2bg

is there any solution to help my this problems?!?!?

• 2 months later...

I'm stuck here trying to install BT4.

I got it as far as booting into busybox. But this is not much help really. I haven't really understood if there is a way out of busybox and getting into the real system, or if my installation is somehow screwed.

my menu.lst:

title BackTrack 4

configfile /iso/bootlinuxbh/grub/menu.lst

and the second menu.lst

title Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (1024x768)

kernel /iso/bootlinuxbh/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw quiet vga=0x317

initrd /iso/bootlinuxbh/initrd.gz ...

I made sure the MD5 sum is correct and I used winrar to extract the iso file.

Any thoughts on that? Funny thing is: I don't get errors..I just end up in busybox

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi I am a new guy to linux.. i got backtrack and ophcrack to work but i could not get konboot or any of the others to work from the episode...I am mostly confused with this:

title DBAN

kernel /memdisk

initrd /dban-2.2.6_i586.iso

title Memtest86

kernel /memdisk

initrd /Memtest86_3.5a.iso

what is memdisk? and where do I get it from ? I can see a memdisk file on the episode but he never mentions where or what it is..and where is he getting .img files from all I found were .iso ... do they work the same way? Please help a newbie learn linux...thank you.

• 2 months later...

I've just decided to do this to make it easier at work for myself... I've got OphCrack working with both XP and Vista Tables.

I've got Ubuntu 11.04 working from the ISO, but I'd prefer to do it the "other way" with the folders on the USB drive, and persistance... So can someone point me to how to add Ubuntu 11.04 "properly" and also for Backtrack 5 (Gnome)...

Also I can't get Memtest86 going :(

• 6 months later...

Try RMPrepUSB - this will partition and format your drive, install grubdods, allow you to make a menu.lst (press F4), extract ISOs onto the USB drive and test booting under an emulator. It will also test a USB flash drive, measure it's speed and make an image backup of a drive, install syslinux and more! The website has over 50 tutorials and several YouTube videos.

www.rmprepusb.tk