Episode 5x24

Darren Kitchen

"Once you figure out at which point the booting fails, TRY TO FIX IT YOURSELF FIRST PLEASE, thank you"

Like i said in the original post

i spent several hours and reading every post in this topic AND reading the grub man from end to end trying to figure it out myself. if you read the entirety of my post you would see that. But i forget how elitist some people can be

Peeps post on here because sometimes working on something for hours at a time things can get overlooked and value members who have gotten it to work and we need the help

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Once you figure out at which point the booting fails, TRY TO FIX IT YOURSELF FIRST PLEASE, thank you"

i spent several hours trying to figure it out myself if you read the entirety of my post before requesting help so lets keep the flaming to a minimum.

Peeps post because sometimes working on something for hours at a time things can get overlooked

I had to say it, there's been too many people not even reading this post and asking to be spoon-fed the answers which have already been covered in this topic. What led me to believe that you didn't try them all is that you didn't mention anything about multipartitioning your flash drive which was mentioned here already, and you also didn't have the "vollabel=" parameter appended to your kernel option which was also posted here already:

I haven't tried this yet but found this in the Trinity Documentation

Link

Have the other things I recommended worked out your problems? If not, post the post the "fail line" which I talked about in my previous post.

EDIT: Elitist? Far from it. Tired of people not trying to figure out their own problems? Yes.

I had to say it, there's been too many people not even reading this post and asking to be spoon-fed the answers which have already been covered in this topic. What led me to believe that you didn't try them all is that you didn't mention anything about multipartitioning your flash drive which was mentioned here already, and you also didn't have the "vollabel=" parameter appended to your kernel option which was also posted here already:

Have the other things I recommended worked out your problems? If not, post the post the "fail line" which I talked about in my previous post.

EDIT: Elitist? Far from it. Tired of people not trying to figure out their own problems? Yes.

If people's request for assistance is irratating you so much then why bother posting at all when people do

ergo ELITIST!

Might want to get over yourself just a tad

If people's request for assistance is irratating you so much then why bother posting at all when people do

ergo ELITIST!

Might want to get over yourself just a tad

Yeah, no. I'm not elitist. I help were I can if I see that there was an effort made by the person asking. You don't learn by the answers being given to you, you learn by discovering the answers yourself. There's no point in more posts when everything has already been answered. I tried to help you, you just took it too personal I guess. If you feel I'm being elitist and plan on continuing this pointless argument than I'll gladly step back and we can wait for somebody else to help you. Insulting people who are trying to help and know a bit about what they're doing is not the way to make progress.

I tried the vollabel parameter, and it still doesn't work, I get an attempt to read beyond end of the device, and it wont mount my USB. It works for everything else though.

I haven't gotten around to testing it, I don't really need TRK, but I'll test it sometime in the near future, probably within a week. Have you tried the multi-partition method? I don't see how that could fail at all as long as it was done correctly and the machine can actually boot from USB.

I haven't tried multiple partitions, I like a single-partition USB.

I currently have a USB Multipass with multiple partitions. It is undergoing testing to see how well it holds up but right now it seems to be functioning correctly. As mentioned earlier in the thread there is a lot of interest in being able to install Windows OSes from a drive like this. Since we cant do it straight from the .iso I have set up a separate partition that all the OS files (Windows 7 for this first attempt) have been extracted and I created a grub menu item which boots to that partition

title Install Windows 7 -Test
rootnoverify hd(0,1)
chainloader +1

So far it loads up in a virtual machine and I will be attempting an installation from it shortly. Once I get my data back from a laptop I botched with trk2usb ;-P If anyone is interested I'll post later with a full how-to once I have my method cleaned up a little. I had one hell of a time getting windows to read multiple partitions on a flash drive.

Ultimately I want to have XP home + Pro, Vista, and 7 all on this drive along with the recovery tools that's been discussed in the thread. Thank you to the Hak5 crew and everyone in the thread who I learned from!

~Scott

title DBAN

map --mem /dban.img (fd0)

map --hook

chainloader (fd0)+1

map (hd1) (hd0)

map --hook

rootnoverify (fd0)

this is the entry I used to get DBAN to work. I used the CD image instead of the floppy.

title DBAN 1.0.7
map --mem /boot/dban-1.0.7_i386.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

H@lo_f00

Nice way to test the USB.

But nothing on my pendrive will boot bah Kon-Boot unfortunatly, yet all my utilites work if im to reboot my machine and boot off the USB.

Here is my menu.lst

timeout 60
default 0

title UK Patched Hirens.BootCD.9.9.iso
map /Images/Hirens.BootCD.9.9.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

title Memtest86
kernel /Images/memtest86/ISOLINUX/MEMTEST 

title Blancco V4.9
map /Images/Blancco49.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

title Kon-Boot (floppy)
map (hd0,0)/Images/FD0-konboot-v1.1-2in1.img (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
rootnoverify (fd0)
map --floppies=1

title Freedos
map /Images/freedos.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

title Damn Small Linux
kernel /dsl/linux24 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=789 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce noapic BOOT_IMAGE=dsl
initrd /dsl/minirt24.gz

title --------------------
root

title Boot from CD
cdrom --init
map --hook
chainloader (cd0)
boot

title Boot from Hard Drive
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

Get Error 5 on everything

H@lo_f00

Nice way to test the USB.

But nothing on my pendrive will boot bah Kon-Boot unfortunatly, yet all my utilites work if im to reboot my machine and boot off the USB.

Get Error 5 on everything

So nothing boots except Kon-Boot in the VM, but everything else boots fine on your real hardware? Can you post the line at which the boot sequence fails? It appears above the error line. Also, what does it say after "Error 5:"? because there's almost always some sort of description of why it failed.

Mate it all works fine.

If you ctrl+alt+insert the VM, choose option it works. If you get a error, goto next on list without reboot thats where i got the error. All is ok.

Fanstic work on that VM mate, allowed me to get LinuxMint7 working :)

Mate it all works fine.

If you ctrl+alt+insert the VM, choose option it works. If you get a error, goto next on list without reboot thats where i got the error. All is ok.

Fanstic work on that VM mate, allowed me to get LinuxMint7 working :)

Ahh I see, glad it works. Thanks for the feedback.

Hey, Sirpoonga,

Did you get that Ubuntu with persistence to work? I tried putting the casper-rw file in root (with everything else - only other thing of interest being the Ubuntu iso) and it was not exhibiting persistence for me. Can you do it for other stuff?

Cheers

Jonathan

Jonathan, figure it out?

All I did was put the ubuntu iso and casper-rw file on root. It has persistence as I installed minicom and it is still there.

I created my own casper-rw file though, a 1.5g file with these instructions.

Creating a larger casper-rw loop file for saving changes

1. After your up and running in Linux, insert the flash drive that contains your casper-rw file

2. Type dd if=/dev/zero of=casper-rw bs=1M count=1024

(replacing 1024 with the "size in MB" you wish to use for saving changes persistently)

3. Type mkfs.ext3 -F casper-rw

4. Copy the new casper-rw file to your USB flash drive

5. Restart your computer, booting from the USB flash drive and enjoy the expanded storage for saving changes

Hi there !

Thanx for that awesome coverage !

I would really like to add one really usefull option to the Grub-Menu:

1. Boot silently from USB

2. Grab the SAM

3. Reboot (so you know when it´s done)

I guess this is nothing difficult, can be done with a little batch file.

I just wonder HOW a menu point that calls this batch would have to look like ?

Or does Grub understand plain and simple copy and exe commands (in case I wanna do pwdum5).

Ideas aprecitated !!

I've added some more today,

Puppy Linux

SliTaz

ntpasswd

F-Secure Rescue CD

Kapersky Rescue CD

Ubuntu 9.04 (iso mount method shown above)

XBMC Live CD

xPUD

AIDA

Ranish Partition Manager

MHDD

I think it's time I took a backup of this drive now!

Hey if tuck your backup please send .lst command file for boot thanks

• 2 weeks later...

hey every one. love the show but im lost.

not at all a Linux guy other then dual boot ubuntru on my old dell laptop (d600). i guess my question is how do you know what to put in the menu.lst to load what images. what i would like to do is make a usb drive up with all the windows installs (oem xp home and pro, vista, windows 7, and retail installs) i reinstall windows for other people a lot and if i could put all the different images that i normally burn on to a cdrw on to a flash drive that would be a lot better. it wouldn't be just windows installs but like ubcd and maybe a ubuntu live and memtest stuff like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Multiboot LiveUSb the french app is now in english, for the most part anyway.

here is a quick guide to getting it running. its still a littel rough around the edges once i have played a little more ill update this

to install on ubuntu

1. make sure you have build-essentials installed

sudo apt-get install build-essential

2. Install the app

cd /tmp

wget http://liveusb.info/customultiboot-v2/cust...boot-v2.tar.bz2

tar xjf customultiboot-v2.tar.bz2

rm customultiboot-v2.tar.bz2

cd customultiboot-v2

sudo ./install.sh

press ok to any pop ups that appear in french, they are asking to install the prereqs

3. slight modification to fix an error with the partion creation

nano /usr/local/share/customultiboot-v2/multiboot/multiboot.sh

press CTRL + W search for 512o and replace all instances with 512B

once finsihed CTRL + o and enter to save

launch application from desktop

clcik preferences and change default language to english (or language of your choosing) and change the other options which i beleibe are keyboard and regioanl settings

then press Sauvegarder to save your settings

Hey presto English

Thats the install finished.

Now for creating the multiboot. the application will only add distros that are in its supported list. the supported list can be found here.

http://translate.google.fr/translate?u=htt...fr&ie=UTF-8

Now how to make our Multipass

Click the dvd/usb button

click create multiboot

press green arrow

Depending on the size of your USB key the persistant and home options need to be used carefully, as these reserve space on your key.

persistent mode allows you to save changes, and the drop down box determines how much can be saved. the home box allows you to set the size of your home folder and to encrypt it if wanted. (Check the suported distros to see if peristnace is supported)

The activate swap option adds a swap partition to the USB key

to use either of these optiosn just tick the box and choose the size that suits your needs

to select your distro clcik the folder icon next to the disc icon and select your iso file. (LINUX ONLY)

Give it a name and click the add button

Once you have finshed adding your distros press the Create button

the app will ask you to unplug and replug your usb key. just press ok to any errors that may pop up about being unable to mount

once this bild has finsihed we can look at adding windows to our multipass

the application only allows you to add one of the following options.

Windows 7 installer

windows xp installer

hirens bootcd

BartPE

UBCD4Win

to add one of these clcik home then choose add windows from the selection box.

browse to the location of your iso file making sure you pick whichever type of iso it is. (its obviouse when you see the screen in front of you.)

click add and all done.

i have tested this with Ubuntu 9.04 backtrack 3 and 4 and bart PE at the time of writing, i am working on adding konboot and other img/iso files ill let you know how it goes

hope this helps someoen and ill update this as i learn more

hey every one. love the show but im lost.

not at all a Linux guy other then dual boot ubuntru on my old dell laptop (d600). i guess my question is how do you know what to put in the menu.lst to load what images. what i would like to do is make a usb drive up with all the windows installs (oem xp home and pro, vista, windows 7, and retail installs) i reinstall windows for other people a lot and if i could put all the different images that i normally burn on to a cdrw on to a flash drive that would be a lot better. it wouldn't be just windows installs but like ubcd and maybe a ubuntu live and memtest stuff like that.

That is the same reason why i wanted a to make this awesome usb. If you look through the postings in this topic you should find your answer and alot of useful information. :]