Darren Kitchen

Here is how I have it...

map --mem /konboot.img (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
rootnoverify (fd0)

...and the img is on the root of the drive.

ya tried that as well just not working for me :(

its kinda ok though cause all that shit dose is bypasses the user password shit right?

well trinity is working fine for me on vista and xp

i dont really know of too many linux systems that i want to get into except my own but ya

idk dont look like ill be using kon-boot anytime soon

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to make a 60gb external drive I have bootable, but it doesn't show up in PeToUSB. Is there another way I can make the drive bootable? (I'm guessing this isnt working since it shows up as a hard drive in explorer, rather than a removeable disk)

Pe2USB has a partition size limitation. You'll need to format and install grub4dos yourself.

ya tried that as well just not working for me :(

its kinda ok though cause all that shit dose is bypasses the user password shit right?

well trinity is working fine for me on vista and xp

i dont really know of too many linux systems that i want to get into except my own but ya

idk dont look like ill be using kon-boot anytime soon

Ok, so have you tried booting kon-boot from physical CD yet to verify your ISO download is ok?

Pe2USB has a partition size limitation. You'll need to format and install grub4dos yourself.

Ok, so have you tried booting kon-boot from physical CD yet to verify your ISO download is ok?

ok got it working with grub4dos v4.4 i think is the version

but here is my question now

whats the difference between

gnu grub

and

grub4dos

and whats the point of petousb

why format to

fat

why not

fat32

??

hi guys,

i need help, i am trying to add windows xp to my boot stick

in the menu.lst is

title Windows xp

map (hd0,0)/winxp.iso (hd32)

map --hook

chainloader (hd32)

it see's it and starts loading it but after about 10 secs i get the blue screen of death with an error code of 0x0000007B

hope you can help

ok got it working with grub4dos v4.4 i think is the version

but here is my question now

whats the difference between

gnu grub

and

grub4dos

and whats the point of petousb

why format to

fat

why not

fat32

??

Yeah, having the latest version of grub4dos would help. I too was pulling out my hair until I figured out the 2 year old build I had lying around didn't support it.

Grub4Dos is better than grub because it supports some emulation and other features grub doesn't.

I wouldn't recommend using pe2usb. It was mentioned in the episode for those who are less experienced, and it has that size limitation. Really you can just format with fat32 in disk management w/e and it should work just as well.

Here is the code to get ubcd working. Someone said it was in this thread somewhere but I looked far and wide and could not find it. If it is in here somewhere feel free to delete if you don't want a double post.

title UBCD

map (hd0,0)/ubcd/ubcd411.iso (hd32)

map --hook

chainloader (hd32)

I made a folder titled ubcd and dropped the iso in there. Hope this helps someone.

I was having a problem with Kon-Boot. Using a burned CD it worked fine. But when using the show's notes on Kon-Boot Windows would boot but hang right before the login screen.

I read though this site and figured out how to use the floppy image. I tried getting the iso to work but so far no luck.

title Kon-Boot (floppy)
map (hd0,0)/konboot.img (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
rootnoverify (fd0)
map --floppies=1

I am not sure if that last line is needed. Probably not. Otherwise the only difference is te first line. No --mem and added (hd0,0).

FYI, you should be able to do a persistant ubuntu based on these instructions.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-ubuntu-90...nstall-windows/

I wouldn't recommend using pe2usb. It was mentioned in the episode for those who are less experienced, and it has that size limitation. Really you can just format with fat32 in disk management w/e and it should work just as well.

It marks the partition as "active".

To create a break in your menu you can use this:

title
pause

The title parameter can be either left blank or you can use some sort of divider if a skipped/blank line isn't enough

i.e.:

title ---------------------------------
pause

EDIT: Removed unnecessary "pause" command in break codes.

EDIT: Nevermind...

I cannot get it to boot from ISO either. I dont think its possible but some claim it is. Try using

Then copy the entry it creates in the menu.lst to your .lst make sure to grab the second lst it creates!

Be sure to copy the entire USB structure to the root of your multipass, besides the menu.lst.

This was an AWSOME episode.. and while i was playing around with using this, one of my Vista systems went down with an NTOSKRNL.EXE corruption...

Now while i could have just popped the DVD in and fixed it that way, i decided to give something else a try.. we all love to poke and prod microsloth... why not kick it when it's down!!!

(sorry MS lovers, sometimes i just can't help myself)

So here's the schpeil...

vista died after sp1 update (was fresh install for funsies)

did a bit of googling, and found it's a common issue... well.. common enough that there's a bergillion google returns, and a few MS articles about it..

decided i didn't want to search for my dvd... (was sitting inside the case with the cover on... don't ask)

found this little doodad:

Available via torrent from here: http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/download-win...-recovery-disc/

Vista_Recovery_Disk.iso

popped the iso onto my little usb-flashy-tech-guy-gadget-thinggie-ma-bob (usb thumb drive)

added the entry in the grub menu... booted... waited for what seemed like years (about 12 min's) the scan was done, and a repair list was shown showing where some errors were, where some weren't and what actions were taken, then you get the loverly "reboot to fix your shiz" prompt... although... it could have just been a button that said " finish "

clicked it... BAM... vista back up and running...

kk... enough with the boring backstory... the gritty..

download the iso (about 120mb for 32bit version, there's also a 64bit version)

copy it to your prepared USB drive

add the grub entry like thus:

title Vista Recovery Disk
map --mem /Vista_Recovery_Disc.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

take your thumb drive, plug it into an available USB receptical and boot the offending PC, use the menu to boot the vista repaire disk, and follow the on-screen gooey-ness...

i hope this helps someone, if this has already been posted / discussed... i'm glad :D

my usb architecture:

L:

Visla_Recovery_Disk.iso

grldr

menu.lst

Hirens99.iso

fdbasecd.iso

dban-1.0.7_i386.iso

CentOS-5.3-netinstall.iso

FreeNAS-i386-LiveCD-0.69.2.4700.iso

splash.xpm.gz

Menu.lst:

splashimage /splash.xpm.gz
color blue/black yellow/blue
timeout 120

title Hirens 9.9 ISO1
map (hd0,0)/Hirens99.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader ()

title CentOS 5.3 Netinstall
map --mem /CentOS-5.3-i386-netinstall.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

title DBAN
map --mem /dban-1.0.7_i386.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

title Vista Recovery Disk
map --mem /Vista_Recovery_Disc.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

title Free DOS
find --set-root /fdbasecd.iso
map -mem /fdbasecd.iso (0xFF)
map --hook
root (0xFF)
map --mem /isolinux/data/fdboot.img (fd0)
map --rehook
chainloader (fd0)+1
rootnoverify (fd0)

title Reboot
reboot

boot

i plan to add more as i need / want it, but that will suffice for now :D

also, if you wish to add both iso's for the vista repair disk, i dunno if they have the same name or not, but if they do, just rename one by adding _64 at the end before the file extension, and clone your menu entry and add x64 and x86 respectively to the menu title

Happy hakin!

my splash :D

Sinful-Desktop.jpg

I tend to carry about a WD 320gb and 500gb My Passport with me in tool bag. I also tend to carry around about 10 different usb keys for various things. But as of today, I bought a 32gb usb at Frys for $60. I'm hoping to be able to eliminate the need for a majority of the smaller keys with this 32gb. I happen to have an 8gb that has an image put on to it that magically appeared from the "demon" that has TONS of tools that we listed here and many more. I'm in the process of taking what was shown in today's episode and what is on this image to be able to do a massive key with most of the general repair, recover, restore tools along with BT3 (persistent), BT4 (persistent), Mint7 (persistent and install), WinXP installer, Win7 32bit & 64bit installers, Server 2003 and 2008 installers.

Just to give you guys an idea how this one was setup, here is the menu.lst from the image...

splashimage /boot/face.gz

timeout 30

default 0

what is contiguous iso?? how do u boot entire xp iso's??

Contiguous means all of the file's pieces are all together and not spread out in different locations. For smaller contiguous images like kon-boot they must be loaded into memory first with --mem before they are emulated. For the explanation of why XP iso won't work look back through this thread as I've explained it at least 2 or 3 times now...

Contiguous means all of the file's pieces are all together and not spread out in different locations. For smaller contiguous images like kon-boot they must be loaded into memory first with --mem before they are emulated. For the explanation of why XP iso won't work look back through this thread as I've explained it at least 2 or 3 times now...

i read the threads and u wrote at least 3-4 times that xp,vista or erd isos cannot be booted directly but there was a menu.lst file with xp and vista iso images (not recovery)

I have. No dice so far though.

I've tried using the iso the floppy and the extracted iso but non have worked as of yet.

EDIT: I have it working now.

take a blank usb and install super grub disk to it using unetbootin and copy the files created in the blank usb drive and move them to a directory on the multipass usb and load using the following(adjusted for where you put it of course):

title Super Grub Disk
kernel /super-grub_root/ubnkern
initrd /super-grub_root/ubninit

you can use the grub floppy image

No, images need not be contiguous if they are loaded into memory with the "--mem" switch as they are loaded into memory contiguously. Also, small images don't *need* to be loaded into memory. They can perform faster when loaded into memory and since they're not large, most systems can easily handle a small amount of RAM reserved for the image. Large images can be loaded into memory too, it just takes a little bit of time and requires more RAM to be installed.

I'm looking to put a virus scanner and adware remover on this tool. I get a lot of older folks with viruses all over their pcs. Anyone have any suggestions on freeware solutions to this problem?

Trinity Rescue Kit

I found out you can boot ubuntu with the iso and have persistence. You need to put a casper-rw file on root and use this:

title Ubuntu LiveCD
find --set-root /ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso
map /ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso quiet splash locale=en.UTF-8 persistent --
initrd /casper/initrd.gz
boot

Now I am trying to figure out how to have multiple casper-rw files for some different isos.