Episode 5x24

Darren Kitchen

And can I get some feedback on the VM I made? Is it working for everybody? Mine goes a bit slower than a regular boot but increasing the RAM from 512 to 1024 helped a lot. How do you guys like it? I'd really appreciate it if you'd lemme know how it's going for you.

I was unable to extract the files from the compressed file that downloaded. When attempting to extract them, I get an "Unspecified Error" (Thank you Microsoft for the helpful information!). I tried to download it a couple times with the same results. Is there anything special I need to do to extract these files?

Ok, so the default "Compressed File" deal that comes with Win7 didn't like it, but when I unzipped with "WinZip" all was fine. I have successfully booted and test my MultiPass. THANK YOU! I was tired of rebooting my machine to test this.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was unable to extract the files from the compressed file that downloaded. When attempting to extract them, I get an "Unspecified Error" (Thank you Microsoft for the helpful information!). I tried to download it a couple times with the same results. Is there anything special I need to do to extract these files?

Ok, so the default "Compressed File" deal that comes with Win7 didn't like it, but when I unzipped with "WinZip" all was fine. I have successfully booted and test my MultiPass. THANK YOU! I was tired of rebooting my machine to test this.

Thanks, good to know it's working for you. I think the problem with the default uncompression method is that I used Zip LZMA (instead of the default Deflate method) to compress it as much as possible. It opened fine with the "Compressed (zipped) Folders" option XP so I uploaded it. If anybody else is having the same problem let me know and I can redo it or you can download Z-Zip which is what I used to compress it.

anyone gotten a windows xp iso to work correctly? if so could you post the code? as for the product key i am using nLite to make it a full unattended install putting the key in for me so solve one problem.

I used this and can boot both setup parts although I haven't tested an install because it's slow as all hell like everybody else already mentioned.

I am starting to get the hang of this thing finally. I have four working programs on it and four more with test code in the menu.lst files and the software downloading. I am really excited about this thing! The only thing that is giving me hell is Trinity. I can get it to boot, but when it boots, it says that it can't find the partition or hard drive or something like that. I tried a mentioned idea of putting a second partition on the flash drive, but it kept locking me out of it and I had to reformat (Thank god I backed up). I mainly wanted it for it's virus scanning capabilities, so if there is an alternate to this, what is it? Anyone else get Trinity to work? Thanks! :)

New member,

WEC

I am starting to get the hang of this thing finally. I have four working programs on it and four more with test code in the menu.lst files and the software downloading. I am really excited about this thing! The only thing that is giving me hell is Trinity. I can get it to boot, but when it boots, it says that it can't find the partition or hard drive or something like that. I tried a mentioned idea of putting a second partition on the flash drive, but it kept locking me out of it and I had to reformat (Thank god I backed up). I mainly wanted it for it's virus scanning capabilities, so if there is an alternate to this, what is it? Anyone else get Trinity to work? Thanks! :)

New member,

WEC

It can't find the partition because it looks for the volume name. If you were trying to make more than a single partition on a flash drive I hope it wasn't on Windows because it's not just point and click. Use GParted or QTParted from a Linux LiveCD to multi-partition your flash drive if you want. Or you could edit the boot config file like this:

I haven't tried this yet but found this in the Trinity Documentation

Link

Hi,

Neither "PeToUSB" nor "grubinst_gui.exe" can identify any drives on my machine; HDD or USB or otherwise. I am running Windows Vista on my Samsung laptop.

Am I missing something blindingly obvious?

I have been enjoying Hak-5 for a while, but most of it is over my head. This looks like a fun project though, although I am damned if I can get it to work at the moment....

Any help? Cheers

Jonathan

If anyone is interested i got Nbuntu to work on my Multipass

title Nbuntu LiveCD

find --set-root /nubuntu-8.04-alpha-i386.iso

map /nubuntu-8.04-alpha-i386.iso (0xff)

map --hook

root (0xff)

kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/nubuntu-8.04-alpha-i386.iso quiet splash locale=en.UTF-8 --

initrd /casper/initrd.gz

boot

as you can see its very similar to Unbuntu in the GRUB design

I found out you can boot ubuntu with the iso and have persistence. You need to put a casper-rw file on root and use this:

Now I am trying to figure out how to have multiple casper-rw files for some different isos.

Hey, Sirpoonga,

Did you get that Ubuntu with persistence to work? I tried putting the casper-rw file in root (with everything else - only other thing of interest being the Ubuntu iso) and it was not exhibiting persistence for me. Can you do it for other stuff?

Cheers

Jonathan

Just in case anyone is interested, i got ophcrack running without doing the using a spare flash drive to install and then copy the files over. I used the new version of ophcrack. also with this modification that i did you can reduce the numbers of folders created on the root of the drive. to start this is what i did

1. I opened the ophcrack cd and then copy the folder called tables to the root of my drive

2. then i opened the boot folder from the cd and just copy the intrld and the kernel which were this two files:bzImage and rootfs.gz

3. i created a file named Ophcrack.lst in which i added all the ophcrack menus

title Ophcrack Graphic mode - automatic

kernel /tables/bzImage rw root=/dev/null vga=normal lang=C kmap=us screen=1024x768x16 autologin

initrd=/tables/rootfs.gz

title Ophcrack Graphic mode - manual

kernel /oph/bzImage rw root=/dev/null vga=normal autologin

initrd=/oph/rootfs.gz

title Ophcrack Text mode

kernel /tables/bzImage rw root=/dev/null vga=normal screen=text autologin

initrd=/tables/rootfs.gz

title

kernel

title Main Menu

root (hd0,0)

configfile /Menu.lst

The last thing was to add the following lines to the menu.lst at the root of the drive

configfile /tables/ophcrack.lst

note: in the folder tables you can have the vista tables and the xp tables and it will work just fine

for more information please visit my forum

http://www.psyelmer9.info/pc-forum.html

this is the list of software i had added so far

1. Ophcrack

2. Knoppix 6

3. System Rescue CD 1.2.3 x86

4. UBCD 4.1.1

5. Acronis True Image 10

6. VistaPE

7. Spotmau Power Suit 2007

8. Partition Commander 10

9. Windows Vista Recovery Disk 32-bit

10. Windows Vista Recovery Disk 64-bit

11. KonBoot

and my drive only has 3 folders in the root of the drive

OK Boys and Girls and Hackers of all ages

I need some help with my multiboot. I have had some successes and quite a few failures

After rigerous research and reading the GRUB man from end to end there are some of the distros that i cant get to run no matter what i do. One of them is TRK.....has anyone gotten that program to work at all with the multiboot??? I have scanned this forum post from end to end and tried every varaiation that peeps have posted who claimed that they have gotten it to work. My current menu.lst for TRK is

title Trinity Rescue Kit

kernel trk/kernel.trk initrd=/initrd.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose

initrd /initrd.trk

as you can see from the entry i created a trk folder and untarred the iso into the folder. I have tried the floppy versions i have tried the iso versions and tried everything in between and cant get that MoFo to work no matter what i do. the GRUB error that i get is "Error 1: Filename must be either an absolute pathname or blocklist" what the hell does that mean???

Second one is ophcrack. As per suggestions of previous posts i copied the contents from a Ophcrack USB drive into a folder called bootoph and am using this lst entry that Frank Castle reccomended

title Ophcrack

kernel /bootoph/boot/bzImage rw root=/dev/null vga=normal lang=C kmap=us screen=1024x768x16 autologin

initrd /boot/rootfs.gz

Once again i have tried every varation that i have seen on this post and then a few tweaks of my own and no matter what i tried i get the hated "Error 15: file not found"

Third is Macrium Reflect

I have tried every varation of this one as well including untarring the contents of the iso into a macriumreflect folder and i get an "Error 15" on that as well using this lst entry

title Macrium Reflect

kernel /macriumreflect/isolinux/linux26 ramdisk_size=128000

initrd=initrd.bin init=/sbin/init root=/dev/ram0 console=tty2 vga=791

initrd=/isolinux/initrd.bin

clonezilla

This one is interesting because it comes up with a new error that i have not seen before

"Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition"

using this entry

title clonezilla

root

kernel clonezilla/live/vmlinuz1 boot=live union=aufs vga=788 ip=frommedia

live-media-path=/clonezilla/live bootfrom=/dev/hda toram=filesystem.squashfs

initrd /clonezilla/live/initrd1.img

DBAN which i figured would be a real easy one gives me a Error 15 as well. as per previous post suggestions i have the dban.img on the root of the root of the usb and it claims that its file not found. As with previous entry attempts i tried others entries in every variation and no matter whats what i cant get that SOB to boot. I even re downloaded DBAN in case i had a corrupt img file

title DBAN

map --mem /dban.img (fd0)

map --hook

chainloader (fd0)+1

map (hd1) (hd0)

map --hook

rootnoverify (fd0)

is my current entry

More compex iso's such as Ubuntu and Nbuntu were easy and boot fine as well as the spin rite one (Thanks for that one :) )

Can anyone grant any light on some of these issues???

Thanks

OK Boys and Girls and Hackers of all ages

I need some help with my multiboot. I have had some successes and quite a few failures

After rigerous research and reading the GRUB man from end to end there are some of the distros that i cant get to run no matter what i do. One of them is TRK.....has anyone gotten that program to work at all with the multiboot??? I have scanned this forum post from end to end and tried every varaiation that peeps have posted who claimed that they have gotten it to work. My current menu.lst for TRK is

title Trinity Rescue Kit

kernel trk/kernel.trk initrd=/initrd.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose

initrd /initrd.trk

as you can see from the entry i created a trk folder and untarred the iso into the folder. I have tried the floppy versions i have tried the iso versions and tried everything in between and cant get that MoFo to work no matter what i do. the GRUB error that i get is "Error 1: Filename must be either an absolute pathname or blocklist" what the hell does that mean???

Second one is ophcrack. As per suggestions of previous posts i copied the contents from a Ophcrack USB drive into a folder called bootoph and am using this lst entry that Frank Castle reccomended

title Ophcrack

kernel /bootoph/boot/bzImage rw root=/dev/null vga=normal lang=C kmap=us screen=1024x768x16 autologin

initrd /boot/rootfs.gz

Once again i have tried every varation that i have seen on this post and then a few tweaks of my own and no matter what i tried i get the hated "Error 15: file not found"

Third is Macrium Reflect

I have tried every varation of this one as well including untarring the contents of the iso into a macriumreflect folder and i get an "Error 15" on that as well using this lst entry

title Macrium Reflect

clonezilla

This one is interesting because it comes up with a new error that i have not seen before

"Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition"

using this entry

title clonezilla

root

DBAN which i figured would be a real easy one gives me a Error 15 as well. as per previous post suggestions i have the dban.img on the root of the root of the usb and it claims that its file not found. As with previous entry attempts i tried others entries in every variation and no matter whats what i cant get that SOB to boot. I even re downloaded DBAN in case i had a corrupt img file

title DBAN

map --hook

chainloader (fd0)+1

map (hd1) (hd0)

map --hook

rootnoverify (fd0)

is my current entry

More compex iso's such as Ubuntu and Nbuntu were easy and boot fine as well as the spin rite one (Thanks for that one :) )

Can anyone grant any light on some of these issues???

Thanks

With the TRK I had to run it off of the cd and use trk2usb to install it on a flash drive that I had. I then copied all of it to the flash drive that I have as my multipass. I believe it needs certain files in the root of the directory.

You also have to change the location of the initrd file, not just the kernel. I have my config working fine. Here's my menu.lst for those who want, I'll try adding TRK later today.

splashimage /boot/Hak5.xpm.gz
color white light-grey
timeout 120

title Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop x86
find --set-root /boot/iso/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso
map /boot/iso/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/boot/iso/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso quiet splash locale=en.UTF-8 --
initrd /casper/initrd.gz
boot

title << Back | Track 3
kernel /boot/boot.bt3/vmlinuz vga=0x317 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw quiet
initrd /boot/boot.bt3/initrd.gz
boot

title Windows PE 3.0
chainloader /boot/bootmgr

title GParted 0.4.5
kernel /live/vmlinuz1 boot=live union=aufs noswap vga=791 ip=frommedia nolocales
initrd /live/initrd1.img 

title Ophcrack Live 2.3.1
kernel /boot/boot.ophcrack/bzImage rw root=/dev/null vga=normal lang=C kmap=us screen=1024x768x16 autologin
initrd /boot/boot.ophcrack/rootfs.gz

title Memtest86+
kernel /boot/memdisk
initrd /boot/floppy/memtestp.img

title
root

title Kon-Boot
map --mem /boot/floppy/FD0-konboot-v1.1-2in1.img (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
rootnoverify (fd0)

title Offline NT Password & Registry Editor
kernel /boot/ntpasswd/vmlinuz rw vga=1 initrd=/boot/ntpasswd/initrd.cgz /boot/ntpasswd/scsi.cgz
initrd /boot/ntpasswd/initrd.cgz

title Darik's Boot And Nuke
kernel /boot/memdisk
initrd /boot/floppy/dban.img

title FreeDOS
kernel /boot/memdisk
initrd /boot/floppy/freedos.img

title
root

title Grub4Dos Command Line
commandline

title Restart
reboot

title Shut Down
halt

As you can see, I threw most of my stuff into /boot. Floppy images are in /boot/floppy, ISOs are in /boot/iso.

I dont see why Darren mentioned that SliTaz to USB tool, extracting Ophcrack from the ISO worked fine for me.

With the TRK I had to run it off of the cd and use trk2usb to install it on a flash drive that I had. I then copied all of it to the flash drive that I have as my multipass. I believe it needs certain files in the root of the directory.

Would installing it to another USB disk using unetbootin and then copy it to a folder on the root of the USB work the same way as you suggest?

Would installing it to another USB disk using unetbootin and then copy it to a folder on the root of the USB work the same way as you suggest?

I have never used unetbootin before. It should work the same unless it installs a different mbr or something to that affect.

title Trinity Rescue Kit

initrd /initrd.trk

Looks like you're missing the root forward-slash in the kernel option. It needs to be "/trk/kernel.trk"

I also doubt you'll be able to boot TRK in the first place, you'll get filesystem errors. Find the posts regarding TRK and use one of the methods already posted.

title Macrium Reflect

I'm pretty sure you can't have two initrds, one would most likely override the previous, but don't take my word for it. I can't tell you for certain what is wrong with this entry because I don't know you directory and file listing. What you need to do is write down the line that appears ABOVE the error code and description when you try to boot it. That will give you the line at which the boot sequence failed, enabling you to troubleshoot it.

title clonezilla

root

Same as TRK, kernel needs to be "kernel /clonezilla/live/vmlinuz1"

title DBAN

map --hook

chainloader (fd0)+1

map (hd1) (hd0)

map --hook

rootnoverify (fd0)

Same as Macrium Reflect.

Once you figure out at which point the booting fails, TRY TO FIX IT YOURSELF FIRST PLEASE, thank you.

No, TRK finds the necessary files by finding the device with the name of the CD and searching that devices root for the files. Please read before posting. I know this topic is pretty damn long but you'll save yourself some time as well as other peoples time, thank you.