Episode 5x24

Darren Kitchen

Hey, could someone help me with this problem?

I got the android live iso from http://code.google.com/p/live-android/ and when burned it to a disk and booted off of that it worked fine but when I put it into my Multipass SD card with the following entry in the .lst:

title Android
kernel /android/KERNEL
initrd=/android/RAMDISK
boot

It will only bring up a shell and no gui. Is there anything that I need to change in the menu.lst to get it to bring up the gui? Im running an ASUS EEEPC 701 (which live Android is built for) if that helps

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, could someone help me with this problem?

I got the android live iso from http://code.google.com/p/live-android/ and when burned it to a disk and booted off of that it worked fine but when I put it into my Multipass SD card with the following entry in the .lst:

title Android
kernel /android/KERNEL
initrd=/android/RAMDISK
boot

It will only bring up a shell and no gui. Is there anything that I need to change in the menu.lst to get it to bring up the gui? Im running an ASUS EEEPC 701 (which live Android is built for) if that helps

Try booting it with all the files needed on the root of the flash drive and see how that goes.

windows on your USB is not so hard,...

For the most versions of windows you need a serial, you can put it on a piece of paper you put it in your menu.

below is the code i use

it wont boot, and you have to select it and press "E" to view, but it is a handy way to keep you serials together without running around with a list of serials.

(you can put any test here you want)

title Serials (no-boot)
map Windows 7 64b        XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
map Windows 7 32b        XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
map Windows XP 32b        XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
kernel
boot

I've found a MUCH easier/better way of being able to view information like this.

Grub4DOS has the "cat" command built-in, so, make a file, put whatever text you want in it, like maybe Windows Keys, and put it anywhere on your flash drive. Now make a menu entry like this

title Print some file on-screen
cat /path/to/file.txt
pause
configfile /menu.lst

When you select this menu item "/path/to/file.txt" is output on the screen, wait for you to press any key, then take you back to your original menu.lst. ("pause" can also take a switch that specifies how long to wait before proceeding to the next command. To specify how long to wait, use the command "pause --wait=T" where 'T' is the amount of time in seconds.)

No, images need not be contiguous if they are loaded into memory with the "--mem" switch as they are loaded into memory contiguously. Also, small images don't *need* to be loaded into memory. They can perform faster when loaded into memory and since they're not large, most systems can easily handle a small amount of RAM reserved for the image. Large images can be loaded into memory too, it just takes a little bit of time and requires more RAM to be installed.

No, I didn't say non-contiguous images couldn't be loaded into memory with --mem, I said "small contiguous images like kon-boot" must be, otherwise you'll get errors.

No, that didn't seem to help.

When android is booting, it gets to a certain point in the boot process (I can see what it is doing as it is all text) at which it just stops. I wait a few minutes then press enter and it brings up the shell. Is there something I need to add to the android entry in the menu.lst?

UPDATE: What seems to be happening is that it is loading all of the drivers, but not loading the windowing system, if that helps.

No, that didn't seem to help.

When android is booting, it gets to a certain point in the boot process (I can see what it is doing as it is all text) at which it just stops. I wait a few minutes then press enter and it brings up the shell. Is there something I need to add to the android entry in the menu.lst?

Try map booting the ISO like this:

title Andriod LiveCD
map /android/liveandroidv0.2.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)
rootnoverify (hd32)

If you get an error, try adding "+1" to "chainloader (hd32)" resulting in "chainloader (hd32)+1" and boot that.

There's also a LiveUSB version, mess around with that if the ISO mapping doesn't work (I would but I don't have the best internet connection atm, sorry).

No, I didn't say non-contiguous images couldn't be loaded into memory with --mem, I said "small contiguous images like kon-boot" must be, otherwise you'll get errors.

I have no problem booting Kon-Boot without loading it into memory.

Apologies for so many posts/double posts, but this needs it's own post.

I've created a Virtual Machine which everybody can (try to) use to test their flash drives without having to continuously reboot, test, reboot, edit, reboot, test, etc. There's is absolutely nothing in here which is illegal to redistribute.

What it contains:

USB-TestVM (dir)

--plpbt.iso--PLoP Bootmanager which allows you to boot a flash drive from a VM

--USB-TestVM.vmx--VM configuration file

--USB-TestVM.vmxf--VM team member file

--USB-TestVM.vmdk--VM disk file (8GB)

There is NO operating system on the VM disk file.

Created using VMware Workstation 6.5. It runs without a hitch in VMware Player, so you don't have to buy/pirate anything, just download Player and load the .vmx file.

The VM is set to autoconnect all mass storage USB drives, and the BIOS are set to boot from the PLoP ISO.

Instructions:

Power-on the VM using the .vmx file

You'll be greeted by the PLoP Bootmanager

Wait until you see that your USB drive is connected (bottom right, suitcase-looking thing should be solid, not transparent)

Go down to the "USB" option and press "Enter"

There you go, test your flash drive

You can still install an OS, such as Windows XP to test Kon-Boot or Ophcrack, but including that would be illegal warez so do it yourself, k? k.

USB-TestVM -> http://www.mediafire.com/?xxkheqjl3tm

VMware Player -> http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

PLoP Bootmanager -> http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

And for everybody who cares,

Virustotal -> http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/7faf471...60ae-1250498615

If the file is removed due to not enough constant downloads, PM me and I'll get it back up.

EDIT: If you have any problems with the archive try this one. It's the same exact thing except it's compressed using the default Zip method, deflate, instead of LZMA which means it's a few kbs bigger but what's a couple kbs to modern bandwith now?

This post is now located here and the VM has been updated, the old files are deleted

Wonderful episode and amazing thread! I have found answer to every one of my questions from here, but I still have something wrong with my splashimage.

So, first I just made one with Windows Gimp and as posted before it didn't work, well I tryed sirBAMF's method with the ImageMagick program. Now when I boot my USB key grub loads fine but my splashimage is all messed up it looks like it has gone through paper shredder I also tryed to do splashimage under Ubuntu with Gimp, but I get same result.

Anyone else contered anything similiar (asuming anyone can even understand me)?

Checked what kind of splashimage BT4 used and it was smaller than my (I used 680x480) and when I resized my splashimage to 640x400 it worked perfectly

has anyone got a working menu.lst with XBMC Live USB/Iso working? cant seem to get it running at all. any help would be great.

Why don't you post your setup and your errors, otherwise you'll just half to hope that somebody can read your mind or something similar.

Ok, the maping the android live iso didn't work (it gave error 60: File for drive emulation must be in one contiguous disk area) so I'm going to try the USBISO... Compiling now

Oh and here is a pic from when android is booting... The part where it stops and goes to a limited shell

web.jpg

Ok, the maping the android live iso didn't work (it gave error 60: File for drive emulation must be in one contiguous disk area) so I'm going to try the USBISO... Compiling now

Oh and here is a pic from when android is booting... The part where it stops and goes to a limited shell

Your file is fragmented. Either use Contig to defragment it (any program will work though) or add "--mem" to the first map command so it's like this:

"map --mem /android/liveandroidv0.2.iso (hd32)" or

"map --mem /android/liveandroidv0.2.iso (hd32)+1"

Could someone please post thier full menu.lst and file structure ?

I have gotten a few of the programs to boot and others like, Hiren's are not seeing the files or don't start at all.

Thanks

There are a few full posts already as well as posts on how to get certain things working, such as Hiren's. You very possibly could have easily fixed whatever errors or problems you're having. There's one guide on here that will (almost certainly) get your Hiren's booting with no problems, if only you had actually *tried* to find it, instead of asking somebody to essentially do it for you. Find the post, attempt the workaround, test it. If that doesn't work, try one of of the other workarounds that have been posted here. If that doesn't work, try a different one. Get the idea? Good.

has anyone got a working menu.lst with XBMC Live USB/Iso working? cant seem to get it running at all. any help would be great.

Why don't you post your setup and your errors, otherwise you'll just half to hope that somebody can read your mind or something similar.

I asked because i didn't know, but I guess there really IS such a thing as a stupid question. :blink:

timeout 120
default 0

title Boot from Hard Drive
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

title --------------------
root

title Start Hiren's BootCD
find --set-root /HBCD/boot.gz
map --mem /HBCD/boot.gz (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
rootnoverify (fd0)
map --floppies=1
boot

title Mini Windows Xp
find --set-root /HBCD/XPLOADER.BIN
chainloader /HBCD/XPLOADER.BIN

title Kon-Boot-test
map --mem /FD0-konboot-v1.1-2in1.img (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
rootnoverify (fd0)

title BackTrack 4
kernel /bootBT4/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw quiet vga=0x317
initrd /bootBT4/initrd.gz

title Ophcrack
kernel /BOOTOphCrack/bzImage rw root=/dev/null vga=normal lang=C kmap=us screen=1024x768x16 autologin
initrd /BOOTOphCrack/rootfs.gz

title Trinity Rescue Kit
kernel /kernel.trk initrd=/initrd.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose
initrd /initrd.trk

title Ubuntu LiveCD
find --set-root /ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso
map /ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso quiet splash locale=en.UTF-8 --
initrd /casper/initrd.gz
boot

title XBMCLive

boot

I just don't know where to start with this, could I boot it off the ISO or should I make a live USB and then copy it then to the "Multi-Pass". my main issue is that its got its own menu.lst that used to boot its different version (nVidia/AMD/intell).

Is it even possible to get the above menu.lst to run another menu.lst? Or am I even asking the right questions?

Any help would be great.

I asked because i didn't know, but I guess there really IS such a thing as a stupid question. :blink:

timeout 120
default 0

title Boot from Hard Drive
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

title --------------------
root

title Start Hiren's BootCD
find --set-root /HBCD/boot.gz
map --mem /HBCD/boot.gz (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
rootnoverify (fd0)
map --floppies=1
boot

title Mini Windows Xp
find --set-root /HBCD/XPLOADER.BIN
chainloader /HBCD/XPLOADER.BIN

title Kon-Boot-test
map --mem /FD0-konboot-v1.1-2in1.img (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
rootnoverify (fd0)

title BackTrack 4
kernel /bootBT4/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw quiet vga=0x317
initrd /bootBT4/initrd.gz

title Ophcrack
kernel /BOOTOphCrack/bzImage rw root=/dev/null vga=normal lang=C kmap=us screen=1024x768x16 autologin
initrd /BOOTOphCrack/rootfs.gz

title Trinity Rescue Kit
kernel /kernel.trk initrd=/initrd.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose
initrd /initrd.trk

title Ubuntu LiveCD
find --set-root /ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso
map /ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso quiet splash locale=en.UTF-8 --
initrd /casper/initrd.gz
boot

title XBMCLive

boot

I just don't know where to start with this, could I boot it off the ISO or should I make a live USB and then copy it then to the "Multi-Pass". my main issue is that its got its own menu.lst that used to boot its different version (nVidia/AMD/intell).

Is it even possible to get the above menu.lst to run another menu.lst? Or am I even asking the right questions?

Any help would be great.

The MENU.LST looks pretty good. I have had mixed luck in getting either to work and the people in the forum dont seem to wanna answer questions much.

I have tried every example in the thread for much of the programs and it seems that it may depend on the computers setup.

Through much research I have found, that even though it was compiled for the eeepc 701, it doesn't load on to it. Android basically doesn't like the graphics and on most computers wont get passed the splash screen. <_< so I guess I won't have a multipass with android.

The MENU.LST looks pretty good. I have had mixed luck in getting either to work and the people in the forum dont seem to wanna answer questions much.

I have tried every example in the thread for much of the programs and it seems that it may depend on the computers setup.

We are (at least I am) ready and willing to help and answer any questions that I can, as long as you show that you've tried to solve your own problem *multiple times* (because attempting something only one time and resulting in failure is NOT trying to solve your problem), done your research, and aren't asking for somebody to spoon-feed you the exact answer, especially when it's been posted multiple times.

You haven't tried every example/tutorial posted in this thread because I know EXACTLY why Hiren's BootCD can't find the files it needs. Blatantly, you fail. Now do your research, attempt things multiple times different ways (which doesn't even require a reboot anymore thanks to me...), and like I said, if it doesn't work, TRY ANOTHER WAY.

Any help would be great.

Try the ISO... Then try extracting the ISO... Then try the LiveUSB... And next time, please don't ask what to do when you haven't even attempted it...

Yes you can.

title what title you want
root (hd0,0)
configfile /yoursecondlstnamehere.lst
savedefault

place the secondlst.lst on the root of your drive.

A .lst file can be in any directory, just to clear things up.

And can I get some feedback on the VM I made? Is it working for everybody? Mine goes a bit slower than a regular boot but increasing the RAM from 512 to 1024 helped a lot. How do you guys like it? I'd really appreciate it if you'd lemme know how it's going for you.

Thanks for your Help guys to those who did help me :)

And for those that didn't........

gadloaacf.jpg

..... a thousand words!

aha wow... Really? What are you, 10? That's quite childish. But the really sad thing is, I'm probably much younger than you... :)