Episode 5x24

Darren Kitchen

Your image file is fragmented, so yes, it is a FAT issue. You COULD defragment your USB but that would mean moving all the files around, which would mean a dying USB faster because of all the writes. I'm not sure how bad this would impact the write cycle but I'd rather not try it because my drive is already more than a year old. I'm thinking of maybe imaging it after I have EVERYTHING I want, defragmenting the image somehow, and then rewriting it to the USB drive. What's everybody elses thoughts on this?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb897428.aspx

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, great episode. I've got my 8GB Sandisk Cruzer loaded up and I've put together a splashscreen for it, but I can't seem to get it to load properly. It loads any other .xpm.gz I put into it, just not mine :(

My menu.lst is as follows:

splashimage /background.xpm.gz
color white/black black/white
timeout 120

And a copy of my background.xpm.gz can be found here. I've set it to 14 colours in GIMP, saved as a 640x480 XPM file and then used gzip to compress it. Every other splash I've tried works, just not mine. Any ideas?

post-15043-1249337170_thumb.png

I've run into the issue of Kon-Boot "detecting a dummy BIOS." I've tried just about every combination in my menu.lst, including both Mr. Castle's and Darren's, and I've redownloaded Kon-boot on 3 different computers multiple times (the .img). I've also tried running it on multiple computers. This is my current menu.lst:

splashimage /automata_wall.xpm.gz
color white light-grey
timeout 120

title Kon-Boot-test
map --mem /FD0-konboot-v1.1-2in1.img (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
rootnoverify (fd0)

title Ubuntu 9.10
root (hd0,0)
kernel  /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper ramdisk_size=1048576 root=/dev/ram rw quiet 
splash
initrd  /casper/initrd.lz

title DBAN
map --mem /dban.img (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
rootnoverify (fd0)

title Reboot
reboot

Any clue what could be wrong?

Edit: Please don't hate me if I totally missed the solution to this problem in the thread, but I read the whole thing, and I couldn't find it.

I've run into the issue of Kon-Boot "detecting a dummy BIOS." I've tried just about every combination in my menu.lst, including both Mr. Castle's and Darren's, and I've redownloaded Kon-boot on 3 different computers multiple times (the .img). I've also tried running it on multiple computers. This is my current menu.lst:

<snip>

Any clue what could be wrong?

Edit: Please don't hate me if I totally missed the solution to this problem in the thread, but I read the whole thing, and I couldn't find it.

Does Kon-Boot work if you burn it to a CD or Floppy?

2. I may be blind, but i really cannot find the Memtest.img, DBAN.img or freedos.img. Can anyone give me a direct link, or host them? Thanks.

Memtest86

I could not find memtest.img anywhere. So I extracted the iso to a folder named Memtest86. Then I used this menu option (found elsewhere on this thread):

title Memtest86

kernel /Memtest86/ISOLINUX/MEMTEST

Note the absence of initrd or anything else but kernel. It works for me.

DBAN

dban.img was inside the iso from DBAN.

freedos.img

There is an older version in img format here:

http://ftp.usf.edu/pub/freedos/files/distributions/1.0/

and other file info here:

http://www.freedos.org/freedos/files/

Hope that helps.

atm i have ...

menu.lst

grldr

7201.0.090601-1516_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate.iso

7201.0.090601-1516_x86fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate.iso

ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso

Hiren's.BootCD.9.7.iso

image.xps

... can someone tell me what i need to do to the iso's ... what i should call stuff... and what should my menu.lst have...

WAITING FOR PART 2 !!!!

I have been waiting for this for a very long time and this will be a life saver (business saver) once everything is said and done.

I bought a 16Gb USB for $20 (I can get more) and this is what I have on it so far and what I'd like to add to it if someone could help.

Backtrack 4 Beta

Hirens 9.9

DBAN

Kon-Boot

Memtest86

Ubuntu 9.04

What I'd like to add:

Windows 7 (OEM waiting till Aug. 6th for release)

Windows Vista SP2

Windows XP Home/Pro SP3

AntiVirus (of some sort)

SS&D

CCleaner

Some sort of Password changer/bypass since kon-boot does not always work

OOffice not sure if it can be installed from DOS

Assorted programs for new Computers DVD/AntiVirus

I'm guessing the windows are going to be as simple as Slipstreaming making the .iso and setting it up as such

title Windows 'x' (64b)

map (hd0,0)/(win_name).iso (hd32)

map --hook

chainloader (hd32)

Hi. I checked your xpm file. The color table has 15 entries instead of 14.

I tried re-saving the file in GIMP again and selecting Mode > Indexed > 14 colours. Saved as XPM, gzipped and still nothing. So then I tried the same again after selecting 13 colours, to see if that helps, and still nothing. What am I doing wrong? :(

... can someone tell me what i need to do to the iso's ... what i should call stuff... and what should my menu.lst have...

just rename the iso's to something easy like

windows 7 64 bits i call win764.iso

I have been waiting for this for a very long time and this will be a life saver (business saver) once everything is said and done.

I bought a 16Gb USB for $20 (I can get more) and this is what I have on it so far and what I'd like to add to it if someone could help.

What I'd like to add:

Windows 7 (OEM waiting till Aug. 6th for release)

Windows Vista SP2

Windows XP Home/Pro SP3

AntiVirus (of some sort)

SS&D

CCleaner

Some sort of Password changer/bypass since kon-boot does not always work

OOffice not sure if it can be installed from DOS

Assorted programs for new Computers DVD/AntiVirus

I'm guessing the windows are going to be as simple as Slipstreaming making the .iso and setting it up as such

title Windows 'x' (64b)

map (hd0,0)/(win_name).iso (hd32)

map --hook

chainloader (hd32)

windows versions are easy, just make the iso and put it on your drive,

openoffice cant be installed from dos, as far is i know it needs a OS,

an program same as kon-boot is NTpasswd check this thread how to install, as for an anti-virus Avast got the Bart-Cd a bootable Anti-Virus, cost $40 i thought...

2. I may be blind, but i really cannot find the Memtest.img, DBAN.img or freedos.img. Can anyone give me a direct link, or host them? Thanks.

Memtest i dunno, never used it...

DBAN

Freedos

as for freedos just download the .iso, and use this command and it should work...:

(works fine here)

title Freedos
map (hd0,0)/freedos.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)

How to get Trinity Rescue Kit up and running

1. Copy the TRK ISO contents to the "Root" of your USB Stick

2. Rename your USB stick to "TRK_3-3" without quotes... if you do not do this it will give you the error that it cannot find the CD etc.

3. Add this to your "menu.lst"

title Trinity Rescue Kit

configfile /submenu.lst

4. Create another list file called "submenu.lst" and add this to it. Note: You dont need them all just the ones you want to use or if you only want a couple you can just add them to your menu.lst instead.

Does that work for you? I still get the error loading the libraries i described in an earlier post.

Does that work for you? I still get the error loading the libraries i described in an earlier post.

I was getting the cannot find CD or USB error until I renamed the USB Stick to TRK_3-3 then it started to load but had a ton of errors about missing libraries or something cant remember the exact errors but I think it was gettext that was the root of the problem. These were caused by me having the TRK files in a sub-directory... so I put the files directly on the root of the drive and it booted up just fine.

Edit: Tried it again on a different USB stick from the start and it worked without a hitch.

I have a drive with BT4 pre final that i installed with unetbootin. it basically made it into a boot-able grub launcher from the iso extracted and every thing stated above.(so far only did this to BT4) Only problem is you have to combine them all which i have yet to try. it does give you the menu.lts items.

# By default, boot the first entry.
default 0

# Boot automatically after 30 secs.
timeout 30

splashimage=/boot/grub/bt4.xpm.gz

title                Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (1024x768)
kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw quiet vga=0x317
initrd                /boot/initrd.gz

title                Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (800x600)
kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw quiet vga=0x314
initrd                /boot/initrd800.gz

title                Start BackTrack Forensics (no swap)
kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw vga=0x317
initrd                /boot/initrdfr.gz

title                Start BackTrack in Safe Graphical Mode
kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper xforcevesa rw quiet 

title                Start Persistent Live CD
kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper persistent rw quiet 

title                Start BackTrack in Text Mode
kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent textonly rw quiet

title                Start BackTrack Graphical Mode from RAM
kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper toram nopersistent rw quiet 

title                Memory Test
kernel                /boot/memtest86+.bin

title                Boot the First Hard Disk
root                (hd0)
chainloader +1

i will try with trinity to see if it runs then try to merge them and probably fail

my drive list

F:\
|   ubnkern
|   ubninit
|   ubnpathl.txt
|   boot.catalog
|   md5sum.txt
|   ubnfilel.txt
|   syslinux.cfg
|   vesamenu.c32
|
+---boot
|   |   bootsplash
|   |   initrd.gz
|   |   initrd800.gz
|   |   initrdfr.gz
|   |   memtest86+.bin
|   |   vmlinuz
|   |
|   \---grub
|           bt4.xpm.gz
|           menu.lst
|           stage2_eltorito
|
\---casper
        filesystem.manifest
        filesystem.manifest-desktop
        filesystem.squashfs

it only did grub for bt4. i dont know what it did to trinity.

F:\
|   ubnkern
|   ubninit
|   ubnpathl.txt
|   AUTORUN.INF
|   boot.cat
|   bootlogo.jpg
|   disableautorun.exe
|   initrd.trk
|   isolinux.bin
|   isolinux.cfg
|   kernel.trk
|   memdisk
|   memtest.x86
|   pxelinux.0
|   trinity.ico
|   ubnfilel.txt
|   syslinux.cfg
|   vesamenu.c32
|
+---pxelinux.cfg
\---trk3
    |   mkpxelinux
    |   syslinux
    |   syslinux.exe
    |   trkramfs
    |   trspack-1_0.exe
    |   trsrun-1_0-nq.exe
    |   trsrun-1_0.exe
    |
    +---captive
    \---clamdb
            daily.cvd
            main.cvd

It ran till it couldn't find the TRK medium. if you had it on cd it looks there but other than that it wont work.

Going to try this one more time...

First off I said if you don't get BT4 running the normal route I.E. follow Hak5 directions to setup the USB then follow mine... you should try to unetbootin the files because that is what I did just messing around I wasn't sure if it modified anything.... I just redid everything from scratch no unetbootin and it worked so scrap your unet setup and start over.

So to recap...

Follow Hak5 directions..

1. PeToUSB

2. Grub Install 1.0.1

3. Copy grldr to USB

4. Create a menu.lst

Then for BT4

1. Copy the BT4 ISO contents to your USB

2. Rename your boot folder from boot to bootbt4

3. Add this to your menu.lst

title BackTrack 4 Pre-final

root (hd0,0)

kernel /bootbt4/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper persistent vga=0x317 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw quiet

initrd=/bootbt4/initrd.gz

boot

4. Download or create a casper.rw here is where you can download some large ones...

http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to...ubuntu-904.html

5. Extract it to your USB root

As far as TRK 3.3 goes

1. Copy the contents of the ISO to the root of your USB drive

2. RENAME YOUR USB TO "TRK_3-3"

3. Add this to your menu.lst

title Trinity Rescue Kit

configfile /submenu.lst

4. Create submenu.lst and add this to it

title Main-menu
configfile /menu.lst

title TRK 3.3
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1
initrd /initrd.trk

title TRK 3.3 - as bootserver to boot other TRK clients
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 trkbootnet
initrd /initrd.trk

title TRK 3.3 - running from RAM (best >= 512mb, 256mb min)
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 trkinmem
initrd /initrd.trk

title TRK 3.3 - with bigger screenfont
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 normalfont
initrd /initrd.trk

title TRK 3.3 - in simple VGA mode (debugging of kernel output)
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=1 pci=conf1 splash=off
initrd /initrd.trk

title TRK 3.3 - with Belgian keyboard (see docs for other)
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 keyb_be
initrd /initrd.trk

title TRK 3.3 - Virusscan all drives (non interactive)
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 virusscan
initrd /initrd.trk

title TRK 3.3 - Try more pcmcia and usb nics (when not detected)
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 pcmcia
initrd /initrd.trk

title TRK 3.3 - Try more SCSI drivers (when disks not detected)
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 scsidrv
initrd /initrd.trk

title TRK 3.3 - with a secure shell server enabled
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 sshd
initrd /initrd.trk

title TRK 3.3 - Execute local scripts on harddrive of PC
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 locscr
initrd /initrd.trk

title TRK 3.3 - Fileshare all drives, secured with user
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 smbsec
initrd /initrd.trk

title TRK 3.3 - Fileshare all drives as guest, no security
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 smbguest
initrd /initrd.trk

title TRK 3.3 - Single user mode
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 runlevel 1
initrd /initrd.trk

title TRK 3.3 - Acpi=off, noapic PCI=bios (Alternate boot 1)
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose acpi=off noapic pci=bios
initrd /initrd.trk

title TRK 3.3 - Acpi=off, noapic PCI=any (Alternate boot 2)
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose acpi=off noapic
initrd /initrd.trk

title TRK 3.3 - PCI=conf2 (Alternate boot 3)
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf2
initrd /initrd.trk

title TRK 3.3 - Verbose startup for debugging after initial bootfase
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 debugging
initrd /initrd.trk
timeout 100

title TRK 3.3 - SSH server and run from RAM
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 sshd trkinmem
initrd /initrd.trk

title TRK 3.3 - SSH server, run from RAM, act as a secure fileserver
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 sshd trkinmem smbsec
initrd /initrd.trk

title TRK 3.3 - with proxyserver support enabled
kernel /kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 proxy
initrd /initrd.trk

title Memory tester: Memtest86+ v1.65
kernel memtest.x86

5. If you want an updated TRK you need another USB with TRK on it via trk2usb then you update that one via updatetrk and copy those files over to your multipass.

Well I've been trying to get GRUB installed on several usb disks and simply can't seem to get it working.

I have followed the instructions perfectly but all that happens is a flashing '_' in the top corner... so I am now looking at using GRUB 2 (1.96)

So shout out who's got GRUB 2 working on a USB Flash key, if you have could you please explain/show what you did ?? Bumperz ???

I've tried to create a GRUB 2 MBR from Ubuntu 9.10 already running the GRUB2 loader but it won't allow the creation of a MBR other than on a HD like HD0.

So any help appreciated.

I wonder if it is possible to rip the MBR from my Ubuntu 9.10 box and then write to the USB stick...

Well I've been trying to get GRUB installed on several usb disks and simply can't seem to get it working.

I have followed the instructions perfectly but all that happens is a flashing '_' in the top corner... so I am now looking at using GRUB 2 (1.96)

So shout out who's got GRUB 2 working on a USB Flash key, if you have could you please explain/show what you did ?? Bumperz ???

I've tried to create a GRUB 2 MBR from Ubuntu 9.10 already running the GRUB2 loader but it won't allow the creation of a MBR other than on a HD like HD0.

So any help appreciated.

I wonder if it is possible to rip the MBR from my Ubuntu 9.10 box and then write to the USB stick...

Is your computer capable of booting off USB?