Episode 5x24

Darren Kitchen

When I try to boot BT4 pre final I get to the "Loading, please wait..." where everything SHOULD start to load up but I can't ever get past this:

Loading, please wait...
sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through

and it just sits there until I manually turn it off.

Anybody have/had this problem or know how I might be able to fix it?

Also, I didn't go about doing the whole "Install Ophcrack on a spare USB and copy the files" thing because I don't have a spare USB and I figured I might be able to see something Darren didn't (why? I don't know lol) so I just copied the folders and tried to boot a couple different ways from that but I keep getting errors about not being able to use "/dev/null" as root which is what was in "BOOT\OPHCRACK.CFG" and it shows my different partitions (on my HDD) as valid disks to be used for root. It also shows a device that's called "sr" instead of "sda" but the capacity wasn't the same as my USB drive. Anybody know how I could go about trying to solve this, or is it what happend to Darren and I should just backup my USB drive, install Ophcrack on it, copy the files, and do this all over again?

Here are my 'menu.lst's

#### /menu.lst ####
color blue/black yellow/blue
timeout 60
default 0

title Back|Track - Pre Release (submenu)
root (hd0,0)
configfile /multiboot/BT4prefinal/boot/grub/menu.lst

title Backtrack *test*
root (hd0,0)
kernel /multiboot/BT4prefinal/boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 nopersistent rw quiet vga=0x317
initrd /multiboot/BT4prefinal/boot/initrd.gz
boot

title Ophcrack 2.3.1
root (hd0,0)
configfile /multiboot/Ophcrack/BOOT/GRUB/menu.lst

title Reboot
reboot

#### /multiboot/BT4prefinal/boot/grub/menu.lst ####
default 0
timeout 30

splashimage=multiboot/BT4prefinal/boot/grub/bt4.xpm.gz

title                Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (1024x768)
kernel                /multiboot/BT4prefinal/boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw quiet vga=0x317
initrd                /multiboot/BT4prefinal/boot/initrd.gz

title                Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (800x600)
kernel                /multiboot/BT4prefinal/boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw quiet vga=0x314
initrd                /multiboot/BT4prefinal/boot/initrd800.gz

title                Start BackTrack Forensics (no swap)
kernel                /multiboot/BT4prefinal/boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw vga=0x317
initrd                /multiboot/BT4prefinal/boot/initrdfr.gz

title                Start BackTrack in Safe Graphical Mode
kernel                /multiboot/BT4prefinal/boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper xforcevesa rw quiet 

title                Start Persistent Live CD
kernel                /multiboot/BT4prefinal/boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper persistent rw quiet 

title                Start BackTrack in Text Mode
kernel                /multiboot/BT4prefinal/boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent textonly rw quiet

title                Start BackTrack Graphical Mode from RAM
kernel                /multiboot/BT4prefinal/boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper toram nopersistent rw quiet 

title                Memory Test
kernel                /multiboot/BT4prefinal/boot/memtest86+.bin

#### /multiboot/Ophcrack/BOOT/GRUB/menu.lst ####
default 0
timeout 30
color yellow/brown light-green/black

title Ophcrack Graphic mode
kernel /multiboot/Ophcrack/BOOT/bzImage initrd=/multiboot/Ophcrack/BOOT/ROOTFS.GZ rw ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 vga=normal lang=C kmap=us screen=1024x768x16 autologin
#initrd /multiboot/Ophcrack/BOOT/ROOTFS.GZ

title Ophcrack Graphic mode - low RAM
kernel /multiboot/Ophcrack/BOOT/bzImage initrd=/multiboot/Ophcrack/BOOT/ROOTFS.GZ rw root=/dev/null vga=normal ophcrack=lowram autologin

title Ophcrack Text mode
kernel /multiboot/Ophcrack/BOOT/bzImage initrd=/multiboot/Ophcrack/BOOT/ROOTFS.GZ rw root=/dev/null vga=normal screen=text autologin
#kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-slitaz root=/dev/hda1

thanks

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tried Grub2 to make a bootable USB 16 Gig flash drive, without modifiying the .iso.

So far it worked wonderfully with: ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso Live CD.

Build Grub2:

http://www.puredarwin.org/developers/booting/grub2

Installing/using Grub2 on to the USB, and configuring Grub2:

http://www.panticz.de/MultiBootUSB

I formatted the USB stick as Fat32, single primary partition, ran the Windows version of syslinux

to get a good working MBR.

Download syslinux from: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/

# syslinux.exe -m -a g:

Ciao.

You can use ISO mapping in grub4dos for some distros but not for everything. It works fine for tools like Acronis, kon-boot, dban, recovery part only from Win7/Vista DVDs, etc but for the rest it doesnt work cause protected mode kicks in on their kernels making any virtual boot objects made with grub4dos map inaccessible.

how did you get arconis running have tried it and it will not boot mostly just reboot

or halted

regards

Haakan

I spent a little time on this and so far I cant get Trinity to work, which is a shame seeing as that's the one featured ni the show, it really should have been included in the instructions.

I currently have these entries on my key:

• Memtest 86
  • Damn Small Linux
  • CloneZilla
  • Hiren's Boot CD
  • Mini Windows XP
  • Trinity (not working)
  • KonBoot
  • BackTrack 4 (prefinal, no persist)
  • DBAN
  • FreeDOS
  • FreeNAS (configured with my real config.xml for emergencies)

I would like to be able to use this to install windows from, either by moving to grub2 or some other way. Being able to reinstall without using the CD/DVD would be nice as the USB is faster.

If someone get's trinity to work right, could you let us know how. If anyone wants the grub entries for the ones I have working, let me know.

Got the splash screen working. It didn't like it when I cropped and indexed it in photoshop, then opened the saved TIFF in GIMP and saved it as an XPM, so I did it all in GIMP and it worked.

I added Ubuntu 9.04 Live to my USB, I'll post a howto if anyone wants, or you can do what I did - google is your friend.

I looked around on the interwebs for hours and I could not for the life of me figure out how to set up ubuntu. The howto would be excellent.

Out of curiosity, I've replaced the MBR and bootloader with GRUB2 and I've played around with that for a while, it looks to be far better in terms of capabilities but I had a hell of a time getting everything to work.

I managed to boot BT4 with it, so similar builds would be easy enough, but I even struggled to get memtest to work, so after an hour or so, I gave up and swithed it back to standard grub.

If anyone has better luck than me with grub2, I'd be interested to see their .cfg file :)

Just a note...

IF any of you are using GIMP on Windows,

"Although GIMP supports .xpm files, the Windows 32 port of the Gimp saves in an .xpm format that is NOT compatible with GRUB."

so if you did this and are getting that blinking _ , go here

heres my splashimage

2046310.gif

Also, i dont think color blue/black works after using splashimage

i might be wrong tell me if i am

I have had a multiboot usb like this for a long time using unetbootin, but never had the splash screen so I decided to redo it using grub. I used Gimp portable for windows and it didn't work. thank you for the answer to this sirBAMF, you rock!

The colors went to white text and black text/white select after using this for me also.

I used to use an online version of imagemagick back in '97 when i was on webtv, brings back memories.

thanx again.

1. Ok. I got Trinity one step further. The previous problem was that it couldnt find the usb it was booting from. It turns out it uses the volume name to do the search. So to get the step furher you have to name the usb "TRK_3-3" (if you use version 3.3). But then another problem occurred. I got a ton of " libintl.so.3: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory"-errors, and got no further. Couldn't find any solution to this on their forums. Anyone got any ideas?

2. I may be blind, but i really cannot find the Memtest.img, DBAN.img or freedos.img. Can anyone give me a direct link, or host them? Thanks.

3. Can anyone running XP try following this guide http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8371

and try creating the dsk-file. And if you make it, host the files, so others can download?

4. Oh btw. Is there a way to put Win7 setup files on the key, and make "install windows 7" one of the choices?

Tried just starting the iso, that didnt work.

Thanks

If anyone uses Macrium Reflect :)

title Macrium Reflect

kernel /macriumreflect/linux26 ramdisk_size=128000 initrd=initrd.bin init=/sbin/init root=/dev/ram0 console=tty2 vga=791

initrd=/macriumreflect/initrd.bin

Hey I was wondering, since I do a lot of repair work (turns into reformatting because people can't wait) is there anyway to put a XP ISO on here and point to it as a way of booting? I have been looking in to this a little on my own and it is all way over my head so any and all simple explanations would be great! Thanks in advance and great Episode guys, one of my favorites by far.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting the grub thing working. I have a 4gb sandisk cruzer and I have the menu.lst and the grldr from grub4dos. I've formatted it to FAT32 before installing the MBR. I've tried formating with the latest version of PeToUSB (3.0.0.8) and when I boot from flash drive it tells me to format to FAT32.

Here is the menu I am currently using:

color blue/black yellow/blue

timeout 120

default 0

title Reboot One

reboot

title Reboot Two

reboot

title Reboot Three

reboot

I realize that I'm obviously not going to be able to boot anything being that all my menu options reboot the system. I'm just struggling to get to this grub menu. Whenever I boot from my flash drive it brings me to the command line area. Also, I am running vista at the moment so perhaps vista is the one to blame for my troubles...

I would appreciate any help I can get.

EDIT: I just figured out that my menu.lst was actually menu.lst.txt. So... False alarm...

• Damn Small Linux

Hey, would you mind telling me how you got Damn Small Linux working? I think I'm just missing something small, but if you could tell me the lines your have in your menu.lst, that would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Rain

Hey has any body got ubuntu to work I have had no luck with it so far but I have had knoppix, konboot, and winpe to work with the menu.lts below

title Kon-Boot-test

map --mem /FD0-konboot-v1.1-2in1.img (fd0)

map --hook

chainloader (fd0)+1

map (hd1) (hd0)

map --hook

rootnoverify (fd0)

title Vista PE

root (hd0,0)

chainloader /bootmgr

title KNOPPIX

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off vga=791 nomce lang=us

initrd /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz

My problem with Ophcrack is that the launch.sh that starts up only looks for tables in the root directory. But even after moving them the launch.sh fails :( it wines after it opens ophcrack complaining about the conversion from and to unicode.

Dont know about your problem. You could try changing the paramters (screen size, vga), and so on. I have a different problem though, when Ophcrack loads it tells me "No tables found", and i followed darren's guide :S

The problem is that when the Ophcrack Live file system is loaded your USB drive is mounted to /mnt/sdb1 (usually). When launch.sh runs it essentially looks for the tables in /mnt/*/tables but your tables directory isn't there, it's in a sub-folder, like "/multiboot/Ophcrack/tables/" or something along those lines. The way to fix this would be to edit the launch.sh file to your needs. Problem is that as soon as you reboot the defaults are back to normal because it's a Live file system in RAM. I've been trying to figure out if the LiveCD could be edited or configured somehow but I haven't been able to find anything. I'll keep trying, but I doubt this is possible without just rebuilding your own LiveCD with Ophcrack installed and your own launch.sh.

For now, just exit the terminal that gives you the error, open another terminal session (or go to Menu>Run) and type in "ophcrack" and select the location of your tables manually. You might also have to select where the SAM file is as well, I have to but I've also got multiple partitions so that might be why.

ps - You could also just move your tables dir to the root (the boot directory can stay where it is) of your USB... But then again, who likes doing things the easy way? ;)

Hey I was wondering, since I do a lot of repair work (turns into reformatting because people can't wait) is there anyway to put a XP ISO on here and point to it as a way of booting? I have been looking in to this a little on my own and it is all way over my head so any and all simple explanations would be great! Thanks in advance and great Episode guys, one of my favorites by far.

Adding an xp install cd to the multipass would make life so much easier, but so far I haven't had any luck getting it to work. Does anyone know how to get it to work?

Adding an xp install cd to the multipass would make life so much easier, but so far I haven't had any luck getting it to work. Does anyone know how to get it to work?

I plan on getting that to work tonight using BartPE, but I've never done this before so I can't say how well it'll turn out haha if I get it working I'll explain how.

4. Oh btw. Is there a way to put Win7 setup files on the key, and make "install windows 7" one of the choices?

Tried just starting the iso, that didnt work.

Thanks

No, read this:

You can use ISO mapping in grub4dos for some distros but not for everything. It works fine for tools like Acronis, kon-boot, dban, recovery part only from Win7/Vista DVDs, etc but for the rest it doesnt work cause protected mode kicks in on their kernels making any virtual boot objects made with grub4dos map inaccessible.

Since i've already done some playing around long before this ep, let me go ahead and mention straight up what doesnt work from ISO mapping (or at least what I've tried and doesnt work so far):

Installing Windows (any version) by booting from ISO made from Windows install media, Helix, BackTrack, probably not Ubuntu since Helix is made from it, UBCD4Win

In short any real mode OSes/Utilities well work with map, everything else you need to extract to a physical partition.

Now in regard to finding files that are actually there but cant be found...

I myself (though I've got a multibooting USB) would also like a multi-boot DVD/CD. The problem is, say you got a file called vmlinuz in /boot folder. If you use:

find /BOOT/VMLINUZ it finds it even if its lowercase. Even if you specify upper in your menu.lst you'll probably have a hard time booting it. Its very wierd behavior that'll need to be worked out in future versions of grub4dos.

Solution: multi-partition the drive and dump the Windows discs to each individual partition. Chainload setupldr.bin from the appropriate partition for XP or earlier, or bootmgr for Windows Vista/W7.

I plan on getting that to work tonight using BartPE, but I've never done this before so I can't say how well it'll turn out haha if I get it working I'll explain how.

Using hiren's boot disk I was able to use minixp to start the setup file, didn't try an actual install though. Although it's not a very efficient system, if it works it defiantly beats lugging around a case of cds. I've got hiren's, ntpasswd and kon boot running and it's great, just need to find an easier way to load the xp cd and it'll be perfect.

hi there,

does anybody already got "clonezilla" running from his multiboot stick?

this prog is a free must have - i do all my backups with it and definately need it on my stick!

i organized my stick with subfolders for every image / prog...

so clonezilla is located under MYSTICK/clonezilla

now my menu.lst looks like:

title clonezilla
kernel /clonezilla/live/vmlinuz1 boot=live union=aufs  hostname=jaunty edd=on nolocales ocs_live_run="ocs-live-general" 
        ocs_live_extra_param="" ocs_live_keymap="" ocs_live_batch="no" ocs_lang="" acpi=off irqpoll noapic noapm 
        nodma nomce nolapic nosmp ip=frommedia vga=normal
initrd /clonezilla/live/initrd1.img 

(kernel args are from clonezillas isolinux.cfg under the failsafe boot options)

the good thing is it is already booting up ... but then when its mounting filesystems its getting into a loop, saying:

kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds 
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
NTFS volume version 3.1.
NTFS volume version 3.1.

regards

Hey, would you mind telling me how you got Damn Small Linux working? I think I'm just missing something small, but if you could tell me the lines your have in your menu.lst, that would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Rain

Here's my grub entry for dsl:

# ---   DSL Damn Small Linux   ---
title Damn Small Linux
kernel /dsl/linux24 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=789 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce noapic quiet BOOT_IMAGE=dsl
initrd /dsl/minirt24.gz
boot
# ---   ---   ---   ---

The USB drive has a folder called DSL which contains just two files linux24 and minirt24.gz which were taken from the iso.

hi there,

does anybody already got "clonezilla" running from his multiboot stick?

this prog is a free must have - i do all my backups with it and definately need it on my stick!

i organized my stick with subfolders for every image / prog...

so clonezilla is located under MYSTICK/clonezilla

now my menu.lst looks like:

title clonezilla
kernel /clonezilla/live/vmlinuz1 boot=live union=aufs  hostname=jaunty edd=on nolocales ocs_live_run="ocs-live-general" 
        ocs_live_extra_param="" ocs_live_keymap="" ocs_live_batch="no" ocs_lang="" acpi=off irqpoll noapic noapm 
        nodma nomce nolapic nosmp ip=frommedia vga=normal
initrd /clonezilla/live/initrd1.img 

(kernel args are from clonezillas isolinux.cfg under the failsafe boot options)

the good thing is it is already booting up ... but then when its mounting filesystems its getting into a loop, saying:

NTFS volume version 3.1.
NTFS volume version 3.1.

regards

Mine works with the following entry, it looks like you missed just the live-media-path entry.

I have a clonezilla folder containing filesystem.squashfx, initrd1.img and vmlinuz1

# ---   CloneZilla   ---
title Clonezilla
root (hd0,0)
kernel /clonezilla/vmlinuz1 boot=live union=aufs vga=789 ip=frommedia live-media-path=/clonezilla bootfrom=/dev/hda toram=filesystem.squashfs noprompt ocs_live_run="ocs-live-general" ocs_live_extra_param="" ocs_live_keymap="" ocs_live_batch="no" ocs_lang=""
initrd /clonezilla/initrd1.img
boot
# ---   ---   ---   ---

I spent a little time on this and so far I cant get Trinity to work, which is a shame seeing as that's the one featured ni the show, it really should have been included in the instructions.

• Memtest 86
  • Damn Small Linux
  • CloneZilla
  • Hiren's Boot CD
  • Mini Windows XP
  • Trinity (not working)
  • KonBoot
  • BackTrack 4 (prefinal, no persist)
  • DBAN
  • FreeDOS
  • FreeNAS (configured with my real config.xml for emergencies)

I would like to be able to use this to install windows from, either by moving to grub2 or some other way. Being able to reinstall without using the CD/DVD would be nice as the USB is faster.

If someone get's trinity to work right, could you let us know how. If anyone wants the grub entries for the ones I have working, let me know.

Hey Mat, I'd appreciate it if you would be kind enough to post your BT4 prefinal boot options. I always get stuck at:

NTFS volume version 3.1.
NTFS volume version 3.1.

Hey Mat, I'd appreciate it if you would be kind enough to post your BT4 prefinal boot options. I always get stuck at:
NTFS volume version 3.1.
NTFS volume version 3.1.

I should have posted the whole file originally, sorry.

BT4 prefinal is packaged with casper, which is nice because it puts the whole thing into a single file, but it sucks because the casper folder cannot be moved or renamed, which means it has to be in the root and cant co-exist with other stuff done in the same way. I'm looking for a fix for this.

For now though, this folder structure is needed

/backtrack/initrd.gz

/backtrack/vmlinuz

/casper/filesystem.manifest

/casper/filesystem.manifest.desktop

/casper/filesystem.squashfs

Clearly I'd like all five files to be in the backtrack folder.

Hope that helps for now.

color green/black yellow/blue
timeout 120

# ---   Memtest 86   ---
#
title Memtest86 v2.11
kernel /memtest/memtest86+-2.10.bin
# ---   ---   ---   ---

# ---   DSL Damn Small Linux   ---
title Damn Small Linux
kernel /dsl/linux24 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=789 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce noapic quiet BOOT_IMAGE=dsl
initrd /dsl/minirt24.gz
boot
# ---   ---   ---   ---

# ---   CloneZilla   ---
title Clonezilla
root (hd0,0)
kernel /clonezilla/vmlinuz1 boot=live union=aufs vga=789 ip=frommedia live-media-path=/clonezilla bootfrom=/dev/hda toram=filesystem.squashfs noprompt ocs_live_run="ocs-live-general" ocs_live_extra_param="" ocs_live_keymap="" ocs_live_batch="no" ocs_lang=""
initrd /clonezilla/initrd1.img
boot
# ---   ---   ---   ---

# ---   Gparted   ---
title Gparted 0.4.5-2
root (hd0,0)
kernel /gparted/vmlinuz1 live-media-path=/gparted bootfrom=/dev/sd boot=live union=aufs noswap noprompt vga=789 ip=frommedia
initrd /gparted/initrd1.img
# ---   ---   ---   ---

# ---   Dr Web Anti-virus   ---
title Dr Web Antivirus (*not working)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /drweb/vmlinuz  root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc init_opts=4 quiet dokeymap looptype=squashfs loop=/drweb/white.mo usbroot slowusb initrd=/drweb/initrd vga=789 splash=silent,theme:drweb CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
initrd /drweb/initrd
# ---   ---   ---   ---

# ---   Hiren's Boot CD   ---
title Hiren's BootCD
find --set-root /HBCD/boot.gz
map --mem /HBCD/boot.gz (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
rootnoverify (fd0)
map --floppies=1
boot
# ---   ---   ---   ---

# ---   Mini Windows XP   ---
title Mini Windows XP
find --set-root /HBCD/XPLOADER.BIN
chainloader /HBCD/XPLOADER.BIN
# ---   ---   ---   ---

# ---   TRK Trinity Rescue Kit   ---
title Trinity Rescue Kit (*not working)
find --set-root /trinityrescue/initrd.trk
kernel /trinityrescue/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=789 splash=verbose pci=conf1
initrd /trinityrescue/initrd.trk 
# ---   ---   ---   ---

# ---   Konboot   ---
title KonBoot
map --mem /konboot/FD0-konboot-v1.1-2in1.img (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
rootnoverify (fd0)
# ---   ---   ---   ---

# ---   Backtrack 4   ---
title BackTrack 4 pre-final
kernel /backtrack/vmlinuz vga=0x314 BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw 
initrd /backtrack/initrd.gz
boot
# ---   ---   ---   ---

# ---   FreeDOS   ---
title FreeDOS
kernel /freedos/memdisk
initrd /freedos/FDSTD.144.imz
# ---   ---   ---   ---

# ---   DBAN   ---
title DBAN (Darik's Book and Nuke)
kernel /dban/memdisk
initrd /dban/dban-1.0.7_i386.ima
# ---   ---   ---   ---

# ---   FreeNAS   ---
title FreeNAS .7 RC1
map --mem (hd0,0)/ISOs/FreeNAS-i386-LiveCD-0.7RC1.4735.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)
# ---   ---   ---   ---

Well i am a Sabayon fan and I don't know how to make the grub loader load it. I tried to make ubootin install of it and extract the file off the thumb drive so then ubootin has it's own grub loader how I know which is which and how i make the code for menu.lst