social engineering and you

RogueHart

everyone has done some social engineering at one point in your life. when did you first socially engineer someone?

for me its gotten to the point that i social engineer people without thinking about it. if you feel youve been socially engineered by me i apologize because 9/10 times i dont even realize ive done it.

i started young lol. wanting toys at about age 4. i figured out that if i asked for a toy it was rarely a yes especially for the more expensive ones. so i figured out that if i dont ask and just wait till im in view and stare at it maybe play with it with a sad look on my face i always got it lol. i was a lil con artist

...I'm social engineering all of you right now...and it feels so good..

Seriously, I think at some level, everyone has done it. Wether it be a lie, or just straight out con, or even a joke to some extent, most people , like you said, do it without even thinking about it. If we didn't, a lot of men and women would probably never get laid and none of us would be here today.

Hmm...

Last night, at Sin nightclub in San Diego during Toorcon, I social engineered the bartender into giving me some cheap drinks. We had the 5$ off cards for use, and apparently they stopped taking them at 11. Of course, this info wasn't on the card. But luckily, I make good conversation and had the ability to use the cards much later than the cut-off time. ;)

I also enjoyed the vendor room at ACEN two years ago, with much social engineering. Those vendors def. rack up the prices on japanese imports, and they are stubborn as hell to talk down! But, there's a way to everything.

Moonlit, I find it interesting that as soon as I say "bar" and "I" you instantly think there were tits. Are you trying to say something, or are you just making an assumption based on my last responce? There were no tits involved. There will be pics up on my flickr from the awesome night to prove it to the "pix or it didnt happen" kids.

Me and the few girls from Toorcon who went to the bar, were the only ones wearing non-revealing clothing. So actually yea, woman do need social engineering from time to time.

I was merely commenting on the fact that women in bars tend to get the better deal. Whether this happens to be due to a barman hoping for a wink and a cuddle or whether it's to attract women who in turn attract men who then buy drinks, it's certainly noticeable (at least in the UK).

Beside my network security job, my wife and i are also foster parents and working in and for and with in the sytem.

For both jobs (the network security, and the childwellcare) i need to make use of my social engineering skills.

In my network security job to get hold of some info from and over the network setup and so on and as a childwellcare worker to get the parents (or the child) to speak up or trick them to tell the truth.

So my hole working live is based on my social engineering skills.

Gerard

I've often used my skills at customer service to gleam tidbits of information from people that they wouldn't normally give out.

I try to practise this stuff harmlessly on people at supermarkets, shop assistants etc..

Nothing underhanded here just bits and piece's like for example, if i notice someone's keys in their hands i'll pass a playful comment on how i'm having issues with my "insert motor vehicle marque" and then try to gather the make, year colour etc etc...

Of course u need to have some idea what your on about..

Just little stuff like that.

i once needed to use the internet to download some programs but the only computer that had internet was one of the people that where doing accounts and obviously they weren't about to lend me their computer so i just walked in firmly telling them that i was sent by the ceo to check out the computer because he was afraid that the computer might be infected with virii and malicious content and that all information for accounts could easily be stolen like that, so i was sent to clear the system and make sure everything will be ok, further saying if you dont believe me then go ask the ceo (knowing that the this person wont go ask,but just to give me more credibility), then i said ill need some space and about half an hour :D then when i was done i said everything will be ok but i may need to come back in the future to see if everything is ok, that way i have a door open if i need to use the internet again :D

Every now and then I use social-engineering in quake3arena, when I play online with other people (especially when I'm bored of the game). When I'm facing an enemy player I switch to gauntlet; He/she can't resist and switchs to gauntlet too, then I suddenly switch back to my weapon fragging him/her (most of the time).

I was merely commenting on the fact that women in bars tend to get the better deal. Whether this happens to be due to a barman hoping for a wink and a cuddle or whether it's to attract women who in turn attract men who then buy drinks, it's certainly noticeable (at least in the UK).

If you feel your at a disadvantage maybe you should hit the gay bars.