$98 Linux Laptop - The HiVision miniNote

digip

http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/98-linux-lapt...vision-mininote

HiVision makes the worlds cheapest Linux laptop at $98 using a new cheaper MIPS based processor (perhaps the Longsoon or the Ingenic), WiFi, 1GB flash storage, it runs Linux, has 3 USB ports, Ethernet, SDHC card reader, audio in and out, voice-chat, skype, multi-tabbed Firefox browser support and Abiword for word processing. Automatic and secure online software updates. Their current model is running a smooth and pretty snappy Linux user interface. In this video, I got to borrow a review sample of the laptop overnight, and I try to show you all the browser and other software interfaces in this extended video review of this cheap MIPS based laptop. Embedded is the way that I hope that most cheap laptops are going to be based on in the near future, Google will hopefully make a great Chrome browser for this kind of Laptop and hopefully that OLPC soon will announce that they will work to improve Embedded Linux based laptops in the upcoming XO-1.5 and XO-2 designs.

Video:

Id say it's worse than the EEE, but I know that only incites riot among the converted. I don't want one of these little things, but thought I would share, as I know a lot of people like them, and I like to see new toys on the market as they come out. Even though I don't need a small laptop, I still want an XO just because of what they stand for and because my kid can learn to use it, as she is constantly bashing my keyboard, I have to now lock my screens on all our computers because she accidently deletes and moves stuff around. XO seems a bit more rugged and geared towards education, so it would be a good first computer for her.

It looks like something the 90's crapped out after a bad take-away...

They look like an overszed nintendo DS(Minus the extra screen). My neice has a DS in the same color as the laptop in the video.

I'd rather buy the Asus Eee PC or the MSI Wind, a guy in my class has the first version of the Asus Eee PC, that screen is only good for one thing and that's Tetris! but i think the new versions of the Asus Eee PC are looking very promising whit the 2-3x gain on battery time and the bigger screen ;)

Iam useing my Asus EeePc 701 4G (thats the one with the small screen) everyday in my job (Network Security Advisor).

And really happy with it (all do i made a view changes to serf my needs just i bit better), the little screen is no problem for me because most of the time iam not running any X.

Yea i really like those mini notebooks way out better to work with than the big one.

Gerard