USB over Ethernet?

chrisULM

I've been looking into ways to extend my printer's USB cable and I came across something called a "Cat5 USB extender".

It takes your USB connection and sends it across an ethernet cable to extend your range (website says up to 150ft).  Only downside is that these little things run well over $50, and I just cant swing that for a USB extender.

Is there anyway I could just rig something like this up myself with a USB A to B cable and a Cat 5?

I was thinking about cutting a short USB printer cable in half, stripping the ends, and soldering them on two sides of a Cat 5.  Basically the extender with out the pretty adapters. . . . . . . .

Any ideas?

I just finished testing my USB/Cat5 cable and its working well.

I have my printer in a closet about 70 ft away, and I really haven't noticed a slow down with printing at all. As long as my soldering holds, I think its gonna work out fine. Just saved myself $50  :-)

From reading his post i believe he took a cat 5 cable, cut both the RJ45 connectors off, did the same with the USB cable and soldered the usb connectors to the Cat 5 cable meaning it wasn't really a cat 5 cable, just a large usb cable

exactly, I guess my description was a bit fuzzy....

well thanks for the idea chrisulm. I Just did this as well and it worked perfectly. But i was wondering if you can leave one end as cat5 and plug it into a router. Then somewhere down the line take the cat5 plug in that was cut off, and splice that with the other end of USB. Will this work.

USB=====cat5 =>router<=cat5========USB

well thanks for the idea chrisulm. I Just did this as well and it worked perfectly. But i was wondering if you can leave one end as cat5 and plug it into a router. Then somewhere down the line take the cat5 plug in that was cut off, and splice that with the other end of USB. Will this work.

I think you could use that one cable and have both USB and cat5 ends on it.....

USB only uses 4 of the 8 cables, and you could use the other 4 for networking.

USB/Cat5 ends==================USB/Cat5 Ends

(usb device & router)                                    (computer)

Wouldn't you need something to boost the signal? I though USB only worked over 4 or so meters?

Yea, me to, the only cables i have seen over 4 meters, have the noise filters on them, and even wif that state that there may be drop in quaility of the signal, unless u buy the cables that will set u back a lot of $$$.

As for connecting a USB into a route... dont...

To go google. Wiki a router, read how they work.

To do this you would need to encapsulate the USB data into TCP/IP and have it routedin the same way as any other TCP packet the re assemble the ransmission. If you were wanting to do that there are Cheap NAS boxes out there you can buy that support NFS or samba.

• 3 weeks later...

USB works over longer distances than 4M  :-P You can buy 7 and 10M cables... unless this is just one big scam (But I know for a fact when I have installed printers we have used longer cables)

As for USB to ETH to USB it won't work for a number of reasons, what you could do is buy a USB Ethernet card (kinda like a dongle) I don't think this is quite what your after (and why would you buy an adapter and simply not use your inbuild Ethernet port?)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Ethernet-Ad...e/dp/B0002AFKN0

I've been thinking about doing the same thing and putting my USB WIFI stick on the roof and do some range checking and see what I can pick up. Wink is there any way to check/monitor your speed over USB?

would that boost the range at all? I thought signals from unsecured wireless networks came from houses, not satellites or towers (like cell phones) (unless you have that card that allows you to get internet pretty much anywhere using cell phone signal towers)

:)

well. . .  probably with a few op-amps, a circuit, and a soldering iron you could whip up a signal amp.

usb>router<usb is a bad idea! 5 volts into the router would not be good. . .

go get a cheap hub and try it or better 2 printers of the same type and a hub see if it prints to both

or, even better, do something like this:

USB>EthernetCable--Printer

2nd Printer

by putting two usb plugs onn the end, instead of one.

USB would die with that setup, it's only supposed to talk to 1 device at a time.