Linux IS NOT Windows

Mr_Mischif

i don't know why anyone would want to make there linux distro look like windows. Your degrading your os. Besides, the only reason i would see someone doing that is because they don't know how to use linux and a windows skin in imperative.

I can easily see why people would want their Linux to look like Windows. Familiarity is a powerful factor to those that don't really give a shit about tech. The only problem, which this writeup nicely highlights, is that when you make something look like Windows, people start to expect it to be 100% Windows. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that ain't gonna happen in a long while.

well of course, just from looking at linux most should be able to tell that Linux isnt intended to be like windows at all which is why making it work like windows is so hard. Linux is designed to give someone full complete control over there operating system. Literally every aspect of linux can be rewritten or switched out. Linux is marketed at those with alot of computer expierience. It is not intended to be user friendly for your average joe computer user.

Ubuntu has it's place think of it as linux with training wheels for new people it's a good place to start.. some people will live with the training wheels some will get bored and go out and buy an unbuilt 5000$ sports bike(bsd) and good for them but some people need training wheels forever

My point is, Linux is being marketed as a Windows replacement, especially ubuntu. So people who have no idea what linux is, and think there computer *is* Windows use it, they might just expect it to work like windows. Mainly because they have no concept that things could work differently. Most of us can probally switch between various desktops with ease, but its not something everyone can do. So to be honest, Linux needs to stop marketing itself as a Windows replacement and start marketing itself as a windows alternative, or this will always happen.

We are not dealing with logical people, we are dealing with people who think lottery tickets and extended warranties are good investments.

hmm linux looking like windows is kinda a catch, its kinda of like, a lot of ppls want to move away from windows either coz they have been 'told' that is insecure, or that they want to try somethink new.

For thoughs who want somethink new, then its a shit to load up this new OS, and go "wow... it likes like what i just came from, how could this be better?"

or for though who are changing cos they wanna be cool, have been told to, or think geek is linux, they just go "... wtf is su? how do i install my drivers, and y dont i have any access? shit now were did my start button go!!!"

Side note - How many linux users here have migrated over to linux because they have been 'told' that it is safer, not that they have actauly been attacked?

Linux needs to stop marketing itself as a Windows replacement and start marketing itself as a windows alternative, or this will always happen.

Very nice wording VaKo :) windows alternative I'll have to remember that :)

Are you going to be gaming or watching HD content on it though?

No, but that's limited by the hardware in this case. Are you try to suggest that Vista isn't meant to be run on an older computer? I'v never herd such a ridiculous idea ;)

That computer is basically only good at web browsing, IM'ing (i have to get gaim installed yet). Could do word processing on it if need be.