Which antenna is for each radio? Alfa AC card help

gottdestodes

I was wondering if I could get some help with my new Mark Vii.  The first thing I would like to know is which antenna is for which radio? I would like to label my pineapple with the radio for each antenna.  I also wanted to know if anyone was able to get the Alfa AWUS036AC to work with the Mark Vii? My pineapple sees the device when I lsusb. I would like to be able to use this card to detect 5Ghz networks and work with them.

Thanks for your time

Mark

I asked the same on Discord, and the plug-in MTK MT7612U 802.11ac radios can't participate in PineAP/Recon/UI just yet.

I suppose that support will be coming with the Enterprise software release or the internal MTK module.

The Mark VII was able to detect the new radio and use it for WiFi Client just fine, so the Linux/wlan side of things is working fine.  You can probably substitute it by hand-editing config files, but I haven't tried it yet.

Just a FYI if your using a usb adapter like me for 5ghz, the mark vii always defaults to wlan2 for Wireless Client Mode....

This of course didn't work for me since I wanted it to connect using wlan3 for a 5ghz connection.  I fixed this by just running wpa_config in the cli and pointing to wlan3.  it shows  up correctly in the browser

I still havent figured out how to get my alfa work. same as you, it sees it in lsusb but no place to choose it for anything. I would also like to have schematics and knowing which antenna is which wifi. I can manually disconnect antennas and see which radio gets bad signal but Im lazy

I've read somewhere on this forum that the mark vii doesn't yet support using a usb connected wifi for anything but connecting to a wireless client.   I could be wrong but I'm  only able to use my alfa (wlan3) to connect to a wireless network and not for anything related to pineap. 

I tried manually editing the configs for pineap to use wlan3 but the whole web interface became very unstable...

I just got my Alfa.  I shows up as wlan3.  I can use it as a client but it will not pass traffic when connect @ 5ghz to my access point.  It will pass traffic when connect @ 2.4 ghz. Strange.  

looking forward to the next firmware update.  

13 hours ago, mad perk said:

I just got my Alfa.  I shows up as wlan3.  I can use it as a client but it will not pass traffic when connect @ 5ghz to my access point.  It will pass traffic when connect @ 2.4 ghz. Strange.  

looking forward to the next firmware update.  

Hi, I experienced the same behaviour with my Netgear A6210.

On 9/26/2020 at 3:07 PM, mako7c4 said:

Just a FYI if your using a usb adapter like me for 5ghz, the mark vii always defaults to wlan2 for Wireless Client Mode....

This of course didn't work for me since I wanted it to connect using wlan3 for a 5ghz connection.  I fixed this by just running wpa_config in the cli and pointing to wlan3.  it shows  up correctly in the browser

Hi, did you try renaming the interface?

for example:

ip link set wlan2 name wlan4 

ip link set wlan3 name wlan2

and then try to launch a recon scan?

I'll give it a try when i'll have some time with my mark7

On 10/12/2020 at 10:31 AM, heck5 said:

Hi, did you try renaming the interface?

for example:

ip link set wlan2 name wlan4 

ip link set wlan3 name wlan2

and then try to launch a recon scan?

I'll give it a try when i'll have some time with my mark7

@heck5 did you have any luck with this as I am trying to get it to scan the 5Ghz network as well.

15 hours ago, Johnny network said:

@heck5 did you have any luck with this as I am trying to get it to scan the 5Ghz network as well.

I haven't tried it, it's just a thought I had when I read the thread... I'm a bit busy at the moment but I'll give it a try this weekend (latest) and will post back here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2020 at 9:51 AM, jholbrookftl said:

I still can't get my alfa wireless adapter to even light up on any of my pineapples.

I noticed the same thing with my ALFA adapter, but then Foxtrot let me know the LED is disabled by default:

The driver, by default, does not enable the LED on the AWUS036ACM. You should verify that the adapter is seen by either going to the Settings page and confirming that it is listed in the USB Devices table, or by SSHing in and running `lsusb`.

I ran 'lsusb' and confirmed my Mk 7 was seeing the ALFA adapter even though the LED on the adapter wasn't on. Now I just need to learn enough to get the Mk 6 to use it. 

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived