a few questions regarding the Tetra before I buy

xcureanddisease

Hello everyone. Scrub skid lord here with a few questions before I make the 300 dollar purchase:

1) Is the Tetra just a more powerful WiFi Pineapple?

2) Is the Tactical edition worth it?

I really am a scrub lord skid atm. Im majoring in computer science and was interested in the Pineapple. Since its sold out and I have a little bit of play money to dabble with, it was either a cheap 300 dollar laptop to use just for visual studio or the tetra. Since I already have a laptop, im leaning towards more the tetra.

Granted it probably does things I will never be able to comprehend but I want to learn.

Thanks for your time.

Which edition you choose really depends on how you plan on using it. I bought the tactical edition of the nano and the tetra. The nano is a more portable device so having the battery and case is a good thing for it. In my case, I probably won't ever use the tetra in a mobile scenario. It will most likely always be plugged in and stationary. The backpack that comes with the tetra tactical is cool but in my opinion, not very functional for a mobile use scenario because you can't secure it inside in a way that protects the antennas very well. The best feature of the tactical edition is the batteries. But if you're just looking to learn and don't plan on walking around with it, you won't need those. Also, while i like the batteries they include, and prefer to support Hak5, they aren't the o ly spurce for batteries if you decide in the future that you want to buy one and they aren't selling them by themselves. Right now I think you can only get them as part of a kit.

Edited by DigitalData
  • Upvote 1

The TETRA has dual band 2.4/5 GHz radios. I would say if you just want to get into it, start with a NANO. The TETRA has built in UART and Ethernet via MicroUSB. It really all comes down to what you want. The EDC bag with the TETRA will fit a laptop. The shop has a few pictures to give you an idea of scale.

With both the NANO and TETRA, the T.E. gives you an easy way to carry it around.

Check out the differences between the two here:

NANO: http://hakshop.myshopify.com/collections/wifi-pineapple-kits/products/wifi-pineapple-nano?variant=9629752261

TETRA: http://hakshop.myshopify.com/collections/wifi-pineapple-kits/products/wifi-pineapple-tetra?variant=9872855429

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone I appreciate the information

this is a amazing community and i supported them with getting the tetra tactical edition .love it.as soon as we get a better power supply 12v 2A i will recommend it highly

Would you say the device isn't working to its max potential without said 12v 2amp power supply?? I guess what im asking is, do you think its worth purchasing NOW like right this instant or should I hold off a bit and wait to see if there's an update to its power source? DigitalData mentioned I can get some after market batteries but im just asking for you to explaine what you mean about wanting a better power source. I gather that, it has to do with the fact that you're using this on a mobile scale and it just isn't enough? But I could be wrong.

Most of the orders have a dedicated power supply already added in case you don't need to be mobile.

In case you need to be mobile with it they pack the tactical kit with two external batteries so you can use it to its full potential. If you only want to carry one external battery you should check what's available on the market that supports 12v and 2a. They exist, so it's not a big deal.

• Upvote 2

The batteries with the tactical pack work fine.the stationary power supply just needs to be higher.the one that was in the box was only 12v at 1Ah.and as stated per site and forum a at least 12v and 1.5Ah is recommended 18watts.I personally would get it now and use maybe additional aftermarket batteries like the anke powercore with 5v ,4.6Ah ;) hope this helps

• Upvote 1

Im only allowed to make one more post today so I will use it to let you know that I appreciate everyone here and with everyones help and feedback I decided to go forward with the purchase! NO RAGRETS. Im looking forward to being apart of this forum.. Thanks again everyone!

My first Pineapple will be delivered to me this Saturday (Pineapple Tetra), as I'm out of town during the week. So I'm sure we share the same excitement to see what we can do with it now. :)

this is a amazing community and i supported them with getting the tetra tactical edition .love it.as soon as we get a better power supply 12v 2A i will recommend it highly

Has that still not made it to your house yet? I just ordered mine and I am hoping that they packed a worthy power supply for me. I just ordered Sunday night and had it over nighted for a extra $40. Hak5 shipped it in one day I am hapy so far. Just hoping that they included the power supply for me.

The vast majority of orders shipped from this week on include a 12V/2A PSU. For all those who received the smaller PSU, we are contacting you by email this week with tracking for the upgraded power supply.

I can confirm this. I ordered Sunday night and it was fullfilled Monday. The 12v/2a PSU is included and functions as advertised.

Got my Tetra tactical edition today!! That was quick! Thanks again!

Did a quick unboxing. Not the best video but there it is if anyone is curious :::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuQEPgQ1_24

I think that's the first time I watched an unboxing video from start to finish in a really long time, just because your excitement made me so happy.

Great video

Ok so finally got around to setting it all up. I followed the 'setup with linux' video... Plugged the Y cable into the ETH port and hooked those two up to my laptop. The light never turned solid blue. It went amber then to blue then restarted back to amber. It was looping for a bit. Finally pulled the Y cable and I used the AC adapter provided. Finally got a solid blue light.

So i tried going forward and Kali Linux isn't picking it up. I even tried hooking on the Y cable AND the ac adapted but I cant update this. Linux cant talk to it. When I do IFCONFIG i just get my connection(eth0) and I get a connection that says (lo)

Im sure there's something im doing wrong.. If someone has a complete detail on how to fix this and set it up, id appreciate it.

Thanks again!

The search function doesn't work as well as I once thought. Here is the thread shadowmmm referenced: https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/37142-questions-about-wp6sh/

Thank you for this info

I suppose what im looking for is a tutorial or a serious of tutorials of what I should be doing the moment I unbox this. Like step 1: connect this to your laptop/phone this way, step 2) update it this way. step 3) install this etc.. Anything like that exist all in 1 video or a series of videos? The Tetra connecting this to your linux video does say it, but I have no 172 ip range as the video explains. So does this mean my laptop isn't seeing it?

Thanks again.

The vast majority of orders shipped from this week on include a 12V/2A PSU. For all those who received the smaller PSU, we are contacting you by email this week with tracking for the upgraded power supply.

@Darren

When you say the "smaller PSU" do you refer to this one?

post-52829-0-31456900-1455942639_thumb.j