Also fstab is not editable: just doesn't save anything. If I'll try to edit it after remount as read\write partition, it says like "No space left on device". If I try to edit /pineapple/modules/Advanced/formatSD/fdisk_options it says: read-only filesystem. Editing fstab from web interface has no effect either. So, it's starting to be really frustrating... We are basically alpha-testers for our own money!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I have no option to update my previous post, I'll pushed into creating a new ones. So sorry about that guys.

UPDATE:

I've mounted a USB-stick as ext4 manually and then I was able to install modules to it. However, then web-interface just hangs while I'm trying to "Manage" these modules. While I'm accessing USB-stick from the SSH it works fine: all files are present and read successfully. So, another bug which makes Nano basically a BRICK, without external storage support. Please, fix that!

• 2 weeks later...

Can Confirm this issue on my nano has been fixed as of 1.1,or tho it still dislikes any other fs ext4(which previous would not work unless you formatted via pineapple itself strangly as i took it out and found nothing special inside the ext4) anyhow for me this issue is now fixed.

• 2 months later...

I found this thread while searching about SD card issue. Having issues, I've gone through this thread post by post... My nano FW is 1.1.3 after a reflash (in case filling the internal memory before caused an issue) and a web UI FW upgrade. Despite having formatted my SD card via the web UI multiple (read: 10+) times during trying to make it work, old data is still present when it actually shows up. Below is the terminal responses, fstab (edited to work for me) and debug log.
WORKING AT FIRST:

config 'global'
    option    anon_swap    '0'
    option    anon_mount    '0'
    option    auto_swap    '1'
    option    auto_mount    '1'
    option    delay_root    '5'
    option    check_fs    '0'

config 'mount'
    option    target        '/sd'
    option    device        '/dev/sda'
    option    fstype        'ext4'
    option    options        'rw,sync'
    option    enabled        '1'

config 'swap'
        option      device      '/dev/sda2'
        option      enabled     '1'

root@Pineapple:~# fdisk -l
[irrelevant removed]

Disk /dev/sda: 1018 MB, 1018691584 bytes
32 heads, 61 sectors/track, 1019 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1952 * 512 = 999424 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sda2               1           1         945+ 83 Linux
root@Pineapple:~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                    2.2M    248.0K      1.9M  11% /
/dev/root                12.5M     12.5M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    29.9M    112.0K     29.8M   0% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock3            2.2M    248.0K      1.9M  11% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay        2.2M    248.0K      1.9M  11% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
/dev/sda                939.8M    252.1M    687.7M  27% /sd
root@Pineapple:~# Connection to 172.16.42.1 closed by remote host.

https://paste.ee/p/XZE6E

THEN REBOOT, THEN NOT WORKING

root@Pineapple:~# fdisk -l
[irrelevant removed]

Disk /dev/sda: 1018 MB, 1018691584 bytes
32 heads, 61 sectors/track, 1019 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1952 * 512 = 999424 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sda2               1           1         945+ 83 Linux
root@Pineapple:~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                    2.2M    252.0K      1.9M  11% /
/dev/root                12.5M     12.5M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    29.9M    112.0K     29.8M   0% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock3            2.2M    252.0K      1.9M  11% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay        2.2M    252.0K      1.9M  11% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
root@Pineapple:~#

https://paste.ee/p/xNkV3

Well,

I did read all previous posts and I have to admit that SD card functionality does not work well.

I can confirm that SD card mount does not work on version 1.1.2 as well as 1.1.3

Happily you've fixed issue with pine ap crash, but as previous people said, it is kind of useless brick without this feature.

When we can expect new release? Hopefuly with final fix...

Cheers,

G

22 minutes ago, gggttt said:

Well,

I did read all previous posts and I have to admit that SD card functionality does not work well.

I can confirm that SD card mount does not work on version 1.1.2 as well as 1.1.3

Happily you've fixed issue with pine ap crash, but as previous people said, it is kind of useless brick without this feature.

When we can expect new release? Hopefuly with final fix...

Cheers,

G

We haven't fixed anything with the SD card, and have no fixes planned, as it works on a software level. It could be your SD card, or the hardware of the pineapple.

If you can rule out the card, contact Shop@hak5.org. 

On 3.11.2016 at 9:20 PM, Sebkinne said:

We haven't fixed anything with the SD card, and have no fixes planned, as it works on a software level. It could be your SD card, or the hardware of the pineapple.

If you can rule out the card, contact Shop@hak5.org. 

I did use 3 different SD cards of size 64GB. Everytime I did format it via web interface. Also I tried to format it manually as previous people wrote. No success at all.

I did upgrade to 1.1.2, then to 1.1.3, factory restart and downgrade to 1.0.6 (as friend of mine uses this version with success). No scuess at all.

Additionality, at version 1.1.2 device was bricking after 10-20 minutes of use. You probably fix it in 1.1.3.

Even so, when I install module on internal storage (DWall), pineapple bricks after 10-15 minutes of use.

After format via web interface I can see such logs: 

[  281.840000] sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
[  281.950000] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] 131072000 512-byte logical blocks: (67.1 GB/62.5 GiB)
[  281.960000] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[  281.960000] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 21 00 00 00
[  281.970000] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[  281.980000]  sda: sda1
[  281.990000] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
[  289.380000]  sda: sda1 sda2
[  290.100000] Unable to find swap-space signature
[  347.080000] EXT4-fs (sda1): couldn't mount as ext3 due to feature incompatibilities
[  347.090000] EXT4-fs (sda1): couldn't mount as ext2 due to feature incompatibilities
[  347.110000] JBD2: no valid journal superblock found
[  347.120000] EXT4-fs (sda1): error loading journal
[  347.140000] Adding 1004024k swap on /dev/sdcard/sd2.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:1004024k

As you proposed I am going to write to shop@hak5.org, but if you have any idea what's wrong I am here to listing.

Cheers,

G

1 hour ago, gggttt said:

I did upgrade to 1.1.2, then to 1.1.3, factory restart and downgrade to 1.0.6 (as friend of mine uses this version with success). No scuess at all.

The changelogs show the changes made, and no modifications were done to the SD card since 1.0.6. 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 will make no difference.

1 hour ago, gggttt said:

Additionality, at version 1.1.2 device was bricking after 10-20 minutes of use. You probably fix it in 1.1.3.

Even so, when I install module on internal storage (DWall), pineapple bricks after 10-15 minutes of use.

No such fix was made. What do you mean with "bricking"? If you install large modules to internal, you might clog the filesystem, making it unresponsive. DWall however is not large, but relatively heavy on the CPU. This could be a power issue. How are you powering the WiFi Pineapple NANO? Please note that you need to supply 5V@2A. Not every single (or two) USB ports will provide this much. 

1 hour ago, gggttt said:

[  347.110000] JBD2: no valid journal superblock found
[  347.120000] EXT4-fs (sda1): error loading journal
[  347.140000] Adding 1004024k swap on /dev/sdcard/sd2.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:1004024k

This tells me two things:

1. The ext4 partition on the SD card is corrupt
  2. The swap partition on the SD card works correctly (therefore the hardware, software, and SD card work correctly)

You should try to re-format the SD card to ext4 (using the Pineapple, your laptop, or any other means) and try again. If it doesn't work using the Pineapple, try using your computer instead. You might also want to run fsck on the ext4 partiton, to fix any issues.

Hi Sebkinne,

22 minutes ago, Sebkinne said:

No such fix was made. What do you mean with "bricking"? If you install large modules to internal, you might clog the filesystem, making it unresponsive. DWall however is not large, but relatively heavy on the CPU.

By "brkicing" acutally I meant "was bricked" (purely english gramma mistake). However, I launched Nano first time, I did upgrade to version 1.1.2 that time. When I enabled PineAP after 10-20 minutes device happened to be unresponsive. That means I couldn't connect via ssh and see the web ui. It was continously repeating (I did factory restart, recovery, etc.). I was extremely busy that time, so I said to myself: I can wait for next release. By the way, somebody wrote about this issue here https://www.wifipineapple.com/bugs/468 (and I wrote comments) - so I though you are aware and you will fix it.

Then you did 1.1.3 release and in change log was statement:

• Recon Mode
    • Fixed an issues where Recon mode would crash when there are low amounts of WiFi traffic

So I assume it was this issue. Especially that just after release I updated the device and left it with PineAP enabled for a whole night (about 12 hours) and It was still working, happily. 

This could be a power issue. How are you powering the WiFi Pineapple NANO? Please note that you need to supply 5V@2A. Not every single (or two) USB ports will provide this much. 

I do not suppose it is the power issue. I bought this extended Nano Tactical version with remote power supply. My PC is rather still modern and I have a lot USB 3.0 slots inside.

And, yes, I did check the devicec connected to my PC with Y USB cable along with remote power supply delivered with Nano. Same result; bricked after 10-20 minutes.

This tells me two things:

1. The ext4 partition on the SD card is corrupt
  2. The swap partition on the SD card works correctly (therefore the hardware, software, and SD card work correctly)

You should try to re-format the SD card to ext4 (using the Pineapple, your laptop, or any other means) and try again. If it doesn't work using the Pineapple, try using your computer instead. You might also want to run fsck on the ext4 partiton, to fix any issues.

Now tricky part. All SD cards are used comes from different manufacter (e.g. Kingstone). All of them I did use in my PC, in my video camera and in my MacBook Pro. I did formatted it via Mac and PC (Windows) with different file systems. Nothing helped. Always I was supporting myself with web ui "format sd card" functionality. No success.

Additionaly, I did format card via ssh connected to Nano, using Nano software (fdisk and mkfs.ext4). It didn't help.

Now happy part: I borrowed smaller SD card from my gf; it is 8 GB Scandisc and... it worked. Surprisingly. I did format; I did upgrade to 1.1.3 and I did installed some modules.

I am going to test Nano functionality and stability later this day.

Eventually, I cannot agree that this is issue related to my SDCards. It is definately something wrong with Nano. Here and in previous post people states that they have problem with big cards like 64 GB.

If I put fresh SD card into Nano and launch SD format. It should be formated, configured and properly mounted. But Nano is not doing this job properly.

Will inform you later in case of any issues.

Cheers,

G

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/28/2015 at 0:54 PM, ntimodatr said:

Hello,

I have a question regarding mounting the SD on the Nano. I don't see an fstab file on the Nano and where is the "Save Fstab" file in the web interface saving the fstab file? Here is what I've done.

Nano is powered off, I put in an SD card into the Nano and powered up the Nano.

SSH as root into the Nano after power up complete.

Run df command, the SD card is not mounted. Issuing mount -a does not mount it.

I cd to /etc/ to find the fstab file is a link to /tmp/fstab. The /tmp/fstab file does not exist.

I then decided to power up the Nano first and then plug in the SD card.

After Nano powers up, I plug in the SD card, run df command, the SD card is mounted. Seems it mounts automatically only after inserting card into running Nano.,

I have used the web interface and clicked the "Save Fstab" option with the SD card mounted, but I do not see a /etc/fstab file being saved.

Do I simply create an /etc/fstab file so Nano mounts it at power up?

If this is regarding the issue when you have downloaded all modules but after pulling up the UI nothing shows? You are using fancy words but i see what you are talking about. I have no idea how to mount this sd card, but the only thing that has worked for me is to plug in the nano, pull up modules, verify that they have not loaded and then pop the card out for about 5 seconds, then click it back in place and then refresh the page. This works for me 100% of the time and all of my modules that I have saved on the card appear and are ready for use. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2017 at 11:01 PM, redm0squit0 said:

If this is regarding the issue when you have downloaded all modules but after pulling up the UI nothing shows? You are using fancy words but i see what you are talking about. I have no idea how to mount this sd card, but the only thing that has worked for me is to plug in the nano, pull up modules, verify that they have not loaded and then pop the card out for about 5 seconds, then click it back in place and then refresh the page. This works for me 100% of the time and all of my modules that I have saved on the card appear and are ready for use. 

Glad to see I'm not the only who does this.  Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/18/2018 at 7:17 PM, vanschaik said:

this is still a problem i take it ? Just bough the nano, and a 32GB SD and it never mounts. Not a great experience thus far.

I have this problem still. I've tried 3 different SD cards and it won't see it. I bought 2 at Defcon and I'm mighty disappointed.

59 minutes ago, j4ck said:

I have this problem still. I've tried 3 different SD cards and it won't see it. I bought 2 at Defcon and I'm mighty disappointed.

So i got it to recognize the SD card by using a USB adapter and a simple script from here. But I shut down, inserted the SD card into the SD slot and it doesn't see it again. Why would it recognize it using a USB adapter, but not while using the SD slot? IMHO, it's a bug or defective hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I just recently bought and updated my Nano and added an SD card  and formatted it using the web UI and restarted it. But the it seems to be not being mounted.  Below is the error I'm getting.  Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks

Thu Sep  6 11:24:23 2018 kern.err kernel: [  468.290000] FAT-fs (sdb1): unable to read boot sector
Thu Sep  6 11:24:24 2018 kern.info kernel: [  468.580000] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb]
Thu Sep  6 11:24:24 2018 kern.warn kernel: [  468.580000] Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
Thu Sep  6 11:24:24 2018 kern.info kernel: [  468.580000] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb]
Thu Sep  6 11:24:24 2018 kern.warn kernel: [  468.590000] Sense Key : 0xb [current]
Thu Sep  6 11:24:24 2018 kern.info kernel: [  468.590000] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb]
Thu Sep  6 11:24:24 2018 kern.warn kernel: [  468.590000] ASC=0x47 ASCQ=0x1
Thu Sep  6 11:24:24 2018 kern.info kernel: [  468.600000] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] CDB:
Thu Sep  6 11:24:24 2018 kern.warn kernel: [  468.600000] cdb[0]=0x28: 28 00 00 00 00 3f 00 00 08 00
Thu Sep  6 11:24:24 2018 daemon.err block: failed to swapon /dev/sdcard/sd2 (-1)

Thanks

?

• 10 months later...

This is a problem i don't think they are going to fix. I've had my pineapple nano tactical for only a couple months. With the latest firmware it still won't recognize the SD card. It also wont let me install any modules without a card.

On 8/25/2018 at 10:08 AM, j4ck said:

So i got it to recognize the SD card by using a USB adapter and a simple script from here. But I shut down, inserted the SD card into the SD slot and it doesn't see it again. Why would it recognize it using a USB adapter, but not while using the SD slot? IMHO, it's a bug or defective hardware.

BRO.. THANK YOU SO D@MN MUCH .. after 3 days, crazy resets, I have done it all, followed everything on this thread , AND YOU MEAN TO TELL ME ALL IT TOOK WAS A MALE TO FEMALE USB CABLE THAT FIXED IT?!?!?!

jeez, I was about to give up man, you are the truth!!

10 hours ago, SyStaP7 (%att?.) said:

@Cporter and @madvideos did you buy your pineapples post 2.5.x update?

Yes, I bought it when pwnin was easy on that thing, put it up for a year and just moved and thought I would tinker around so I took it out, plugged it up and it was running and I am in the admin panel and things are fine so I decided to chill and turn on some music, you see I am a guitar player and I have 2 reference monitors on my desk and I sat the pineapple on top of them, it took me a while to realize I made a mistake.

Now these monitors are not supposed to have any issues with other devices as they are shielded but who knows.

I am done with the usb stick fight, I see some with the same issue and some not, may have been a bad batch. It is not something I really need to no biggie, this thing is extremely dangerous all by itself!!

Also the storage could have compromised it, again who knows, I had fun with it and at first it was really cool but I do want to say this is not a hak5 issue. I have nothin but love for hak5 and Darren since way back when he was on techtv with Leo Laporte 🙂 yes I am old!! These guys make solid products and are a HUGE part of the pentest community. Once more they are constantly innovating.

For script kiddies the pineapple is dead but to those that know how to use it's power fused with Kali, man you talking about some wild parties 🙂

Archived