Source Code?

EchelonCA

Hey,

Wondering if there's any sort of ETA on the release of the firmware source code. It'd be fantastic to be able to build tools outside of the normal realm of what's available via OPKG (i.e. bully, etc.), but unfortunately I seem to be at a loss without the source code to run with, since it's using a different kernel and libraries than that of which are normally available with vanilla OpenWRT.

Thanks ;)

• 2 weeks later...

For the web interface... what about the operating system? Is it just OpenWRT? Is it modded? I see it's running busybox...

What if I want to release binary packages for the built-in package manager? I'm new to this, but I think I need distro source to build a binary for the distro.

Edit: Found an old post for the MK I,II,III that says you can build your own DIY pineapple using the "latest backfire source" -- aka OpenWRT source in the raw should be good enough for my purposes

Edited by shadesoflight

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

... also, how can we be sure that the downloads at https://wifipineapple.com/?downloads do not contain any malicious features if we are not allowed to build the firmware ourselves?

Maybe I should reword my original question: as per the GPL licence terms, where can I get the modifed OpenWRT source code. As the binaries are distributed, I am legally entitled to a copy. I don't want the web interface stuff - just the modified OpenWRT code. Thanks!

Does anyone know where to get the pineapple source code from? I'm not bothered about how hard it is to compile the code and what not, I simply want access to the web UI source as I want to make it better.

I currently do not own a Wi-Fi Pineapple, but I am thinking about getting one - ONLY IF I HAVE THE ABILITY TO "CHANGE-UP" the UI elements.

Thanks.

Does anyone know where to get the pineapple source code from? I'm not bothered about how hard it is to compile the code and what not, I simply want access to the web UI source as I want to make it better.

I currently do not own a Wi-Fi Pineapple, but I am thinking about getting one - ONLY IF I HAVE THE ABILITY TO "CHANGE-UP" the UI elements.

Thanks.

Seeing as the WiFI Pineapple MKV webinterface is written in PHP and Javascript, it is easily found on every WiFi Pineapple MKV in the /pineapple folder.

While the code is open source, it is under a non-commercial licence.

Mind if I ask what you want to change and / or make better?

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Seeing as the WiFI Pineapple MKV webinterface is written in PHP and Javascript, it is easily found on every WiFi Pineapple MKV in the /pineapple folder.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Thanks for the reply. Anyway, as I web developer and a network manager (all of which take place in my free-time), I love being able to modify all of my gadgets. So, the answer to your question is simple - I want a unique interface that suites my personal style, I want something distinguished from everyone else's Pineapple - I want to add even more features of my own.

I've already written a web UI for my Raspberry Pi that controls a BBC Dr-Who K-9 and I think I can do even better to the Pineapples already existing UI.

Is it possible to have a link to the source? I can't find it anywhere...

Also, this is the UI that I wrote for my Pi: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4hRvPgQC5jY/U10QOAu8ufI/AAAAAAAAA9I/LDi8FV34Brk/w702-h335-no/K9-CPL.png

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

I think the UI could be brighter and more "up-to-date" looking.

That's a pretty sweet Pi interface! Would love to see what you come up with Pineapple wise. As Seb said the source is php and javascript. Super easy to modify, even from the device. I just did an update to the network tile using nano from the MK5 in fact. Most everything is CSS based so it should be pretty simple to skin. There's even a CSS editor right in the web interface under Configuration.

And if you want to get the source code before you get the pineapple you can download the upgrade.bin file and use something like binwalk to extract its contents

And if you want to get the source code before you get the pineapple you can download the upgrade.bin file and use something like binwalk to extract its contents

Thanks for the advice. I've managed to extract the firmware with the software you mentioned - WAHOO! Can't wait to get a Pineapple :lol: . Thanks everyone.

This doesn't really make any sense...

You can't have "non-commercial" open source licence. I notice that you have the GPL licence and then a non-commercial clause tacked on the end... not at all the spirit of free software (free as in freedom).

May I ask what you are trying to achieve by not allowing commercial redistribution that the GPL wouldn't cover?

Here are some links for reading:

Open source definition:

http://opensource.org/docs/osd

Free software philosophy:

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

“Free software” does not mean “noncommercial”. A free program must be available for commercial use, commercial development, and commercial distribution. Commercial development of free software is no longer unusual; such free commercial software is very important. You may have paid money to get copies of free software, or you may have obtained copies at no charge. But regardless of how you got your copies, you always have the freedom to copy and change the software, even to sell copies.

May I ask what you are trying to achieve by not allowing commercial redistribution that the GPL wouldn't cover?

Isn't it obvious? There's nothing stopping me from taking an Odroid-U3 and use two of its three USB ports to attach an AR9331 and an RTL8187 radio to. I can then install Linux on the device with all the programs and tools currently on the Pineapple, drop in the Pineapple website content and hey-presto! I have a "Supercharged Pineapple " that I can sell. My only costs would be the used hardware whereas with the Wifi Pineapple I suspect development costs are funded from the hardware sales.

Currently this isn't all that much of a problem because frankly the hardware package is unrivalled in price/portability but combining, say, a Pi with a USB hub and some radios is getting mighty close to their price point which, if people were to package and sell it commercially, makes it difficult for them to continue funding the development.

So what to do?

They could make it closed-source which is difficult because people would be less interested and, worse, community development of infusions would be hampered. They could try to figure out an alternative way to generate development funds, but what would that be? I doubt people would call up Seb and say "Here's 50 bucks, make me feature X". And if they did there's a chance that financial pressure would force Seb in the difficult position of producing software that in its requested form doesn't fit well with the current platform (think something that could outright kill the device, which would net him money but cost the Hakshop due to RMAs of supposedly DOA units).

If you contrast this with the Odroid platform, they have effectively 1 full-time software dev guy that only works on the kernel for their various boards. Outside of that scope it's your own problem. His pay and that of the Hardkernel staff comes out of the hardware sales. They make very little from each board but since they're selling like hotcakes (2-3k units per month) it all adds up and they make it work.

The Hak5 crew could do this too, but the power of the Pineapple, aside from being the only 2-radio device on the market, is its ease of use. They could cut Seb a check for services rendered and hope the community takes care of it from that point on but I'm not so sure that would work with our community.

The solution, as they saw it, was this GPL + addendum which seems fair to me. It might not be fully open source but it's as close as they can get with it without harming their own interests.

In that case a non-commercial custom license should be used. Open source by definition allows commercial redistribution and open source does not just mean that you have access to the code.

What we have is a non-free software license that allows access to source code - using the GPL is a slap in the face to what free software stands for.

It is a moot point anyway - by saying non-commercial redistribution, all that means is that if you want to release Supercharged Pineapple™ you just have the web interface separately non-commercially distributed (i.e. gratis / no charge from a forked GitHub version).

So, like I said, the non-commercial addendum does not make any sense to me. The USP is really the hardware and the Hak5 brand.

In that case a non-commercial custom license should be used. Open source by definition allows commercial redistribution and open source does not just mean that you have access to the code.

There are many open source licenses and they can say what they want. Creative Commons is a Open Source license for content and that has a non commercial option. Too me non commercial can be open source. I can see the code which is running and I can modify anyway I want to for my needs, I just can't profit from it.

I don't have my Pineapple powered up right now so I can't have a look at the files to see exactly what the license is/says.

== GPL 3.0 *** MODIFIED FOR NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY *** ==

Copyright © 2013, HAK5, LLC. All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

* Any redistribution, use, or modification is done solely for personal benefit and not for any commercial purpose or for monetary gain

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Well why mention GPL at all then? How is this anyway related to the essential freedoms that GPL aims to give its users:

• 0. Freedom to run the program as you wish.
  • 1. Freedom to study the source code of the program and then change it so the program does what you wish.
  • 2. Freedom to help your neighbour. That’s the freedom to redistribute the exact copies of the software when you wish.
  • 3. Freedom to contribute to your community. That’s the freedom to distribute copies or modified versions when you wish.

Freedoms 0, 1, 2 and 3 are violated by the Pineapple license.

• Pentesters cannot use the Pineapple for a professional pentest as commercial use is explicitly forbidden (freedom 0 violated).
  • The Pineapple license implies modified binaries can be distributed wihout source code (freedom 1 violated).
  • How can I redistribute exact copies as that is not solely my personal benefit - but the benefit of the friend (freedom 2 violated).
  • If I make improvements to the product I am not allowed to share those improvements with the community as this is not "personal benefit" (freedom 3 violated).
Edited by Oli