Folding@Home Group

Famicoman

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Firstly, WOW. The group in in the top 600. That's fucking awesome!

Secondly, can this thread be made sticky? I hate having to fid it every time I have some thing to say about the folding operation. :P

And now for the actual post:

Does any one know if folding will run well on the PS3?

I mean, I know the PS3 has lots of raw processing power, but can the Linux kernel make good use of it and, intern, can the folding program make good use of it?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys I'm new around here ;p I've just started folding and I noticed that it wasn't slowing my computer down at all but before I upgraded from my old CPU (2500@1.46 or something) it made my computer very slow and took 100% usage but now that i have a 3800X2 @ 2.00 it seems to on use like 59% usage and thats for everything I'm running :s

Heres a pic

foldingap4.png

Is this a bad thing or a good thing, should it be 100% usage?

You have two cores, the Folding client (except the ones for the GPUs) can only use one core at once, if you want to use 100% of your CPU you must run two clients at once. This, however, causes minor issues. The first of the issues been that you can only have one GUI client open (so the other one must be the console only client). The second issue been that the two clients must run from separate directories.

You have two cores, the Folding client (except the ones for the GPUs) can only use one core at once, if you want to use 100% of your CPU you must run two clients at once. This, however, causes minor issues. The first of the issues been that you can only have one GUI client open (so the other one must be the console only client). The second issue been that the two clients must run from separate directories.

So I just install it in another dir?

Thanks for the help guys :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I keep putting the HAK5 ID in but it keeps sticking me with the google team. This is anoying because I want to contribute to the team and of course to research. My team ID is 51258 everywhere however when I go to look up user stats it gives me google. If I go to look up team stats it shows hak5. Also I'm not shown on the list and I've done more then the guy at the bottom.

Wow, that's strange.

I found your listing under Google's team.

Did you join Google first, and are switching over?

Because you have some points up with Google, but not for at least 7 days.

I don't think the points transfer if you switch, so you won't show up on Hak5 until you finish a work unit for them.

Hey I just started folding @ home like a week ago and just joined the Hak5 team. About half way done w/ my second WU .

And I got spring break to get away from the college scene to get 4 Wisdom teeth pulled, (YAY for painkiller in a bottle.)

I've been running my P4 at 2.8 at only 70percent because It keeps on getting rather hot. But I was trying to clean out the dust bunnies and I notices the stock thermal paste stuff is all but gone. Any suggestions? That is a thermal paste wise, and novice on board.

I really really just want to buy a PS3 now just to run F@H.

I was watching some youtube and the dude was saying how the ps3 is like 20-40 times faster. And then I went online and the fastest computer when I was born 86' is slower than the ps3. Oh MY TECK"NO LUST (I was just blown away with that) I also watched the season 2x02 when the dude whiffed and cut his arm real bad, I laughed out of control.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the console under connection, to "allow recips of work assignments and return of results greater than 5MB in size.

I Got 1Gig or ram. I run F@H like all the time now, you think I will run into any problems?

I also looked over a the Advanced tab, I selected the Standard thing. Does this deadlines thing really matter what I do with it?

PS> I got some Arctic Silver 5 stuff, so far its helping w/ my F@H all the time. I also really want a PS3 to run F@H. :)

Hey guys I'm new around here ;p I've just started folding and I noticed that it wasn't slowing my computer down at all but before I upgraded from my old CPU (2500@1.46 or something) it made my computer very slow and took 100% usage but now that i have a 3800X2 @ 2.00 it seems to on use like 59% usage and thats for everything I'm running :s

Heres a pic

foldingap4.png

Is this a bad thing or a good thing, should it be 100% usage?

they have a mutli processor application as well as single core.... get the dual core one and it should be all good.. its the SMP edition on the download page... heres the faq http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-SMP.html

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

are we allowed multiple nicks in the team....eg buzzinh_homepc + buzzinh_workpc + buzzinh_server etc....? or do we have to just stick to one nick (i know doing this makes sense for ranking puposes but it would be kinda fun to have a race up and down the team stats page....?