Folding@Home Group

Famicoman

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Wonder if I could hijack a couple of University computers, I could have at college. :twisted:

Right now I'm at work and responsible for the administration of 100+ P4's in the main lab. I could have one hell of a time running every one with folding@home under my Sn.

If the computers arn't used at night or at week ends, just setup clusterknoppix on one computer, reboot em all, and bang, 100 PCs Folding for a couple of hours will do you some good. xD

If the computers arn't used at night or at week ends, just setup clusterknoppix on one computer, reboot em all, and bang, 100 PCs Folding for a couple of hours will do you some good. xD

I do work an 8 hour nightstaff once a week and have thought of doing that once before. The problem is the techs above me in the chain. I'm sure that if they were to come in one morning to find me running a potiential super computer without their permission, they'd have my head.

Not to be acqusational or any thing, but since the number of CPUs ToFu uses seems to have been growing almost expanentialy. I suspect (becasue I'm the master of conspiracy theories) the guy is distrabuting his Folding config and folding client through malware sites... as in he's using a Firefox/IE vunrability to get Folding on to other peoples computers. Ye, thats right, I'm a bastard, I'm full of conspiracy ;), but an hour ago it was 12 CPUs, and since it say 17 for 7 days as well, toFu must have been on the list for less then 7 days.

I reckon that a level headed supervisor/techie wouldn't mind about someone running folding@home as long as it was only done to co-incide with late night-time hours, when no-one uses the computers anyhow. I was thinking of suggesting this to my supervisor as our comp lab of 15 ish computers is locked up at night with no-one ever using them-we all have 24 hour access to the main computer network anyhow, if generic work needs to be done. As I'm a member of the Cardiff University chemical biology group, it'd demonstrate some personal value to the leader I would hope!

I reckon that a level headed supervisor/techie wouldn't mind about someone running folding@home as long as it was only done to co-incide with late night-time hours, when no-one uses the computers anyhow.

I was considering the idea of setting up a meeting with the head of technology for my uni and discuss the late night lab useage of the school's computers as most of which hold 100+ comps per lab and at night (between 1 and 6am), only around five per lab are being used while the rest just sit there running.

I figured my approach would be setting up a <announcers voice>

"CMU Protein Folding Team" where the school is helping save future generations by donating cpu cycles for the good of mankind. </anouncers voice>. Only reason why I never got to it was due to the fact that the head of tech is a power-driven duchebag and he would never trust the opinion/ideas of a student. Even if it potiently could make him a small hero of sorts for doing his part to cure diseases.

Even to only have 1/3 of the labs on campus folding, that's around 600 computers, all of which have P4s or better. Imagine the computing power to cluster all of those puppies.

Don't talk to him. Do a wright up, and present it to the people who run the place. If they don't go for it, well... find the campus protest group and explain to them how the university refused to donate unused computer time to helping solve diesises. Its a system, game it.

Don't talk to him. Do a wright up, and present it to the people who run the place. If they don't go for it, well... find the campus protest group and explain to them how the university refused to donate unused computer time to helping solve diesises. Its a system, game it.

Haha. That may work as well. But I do have the feeling that the board of directors for the uni wouldn't go for something like this. Also, they have more important things to figure out at the moment. The uni's president is about to have his head taken off by all of the seniors because they were screwed out of a tutition deal that they were supposed to be apart of (and were even promised that they would be). Hearing about protien folding is nowhere near their interests at this point in time.

I'm liking Sparda's idea at the moment, just take over the place and go nuts. :twisted:

Better try to go through the Head of Tech first. Even if he says no, going past him without even trying to get him on board will get him pissed to no end at you. Chances are he'll make it his life's mission to fuck you over.

Also, if you do eventually get your way, be casual about it. Someone asks you about it, don't go "Yeah, that douche didn't want to, so I one-upped the guy. Yay me!", but more like "It was the right thing to do".

Remember, that guy will be calling the shots there for some time to come. You'll be out of there in a few years. His superiors will be well aware of that aswell, so they'll much rather keep him happy than you.