Folding@Home Group

Famicoman

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Armadaender, how many computers do you have folding?

I (tehBoris) Have 3, but only my fastest (my desktop) has actualy finished processing one so far.

Computers that are processing hardware:

2.2GHz Celeron D with 256MB of RAM (SuSE 10.1)

Athlon XP 3200+ with 512MB of RAM (Had problems folding on SuSE 10.1 for reasons I couldn't work out, now running the Xubuntu LiveCD making use of the RaiserFS and SWAP partions)

Athlon 64 3200+ with 2048MB of RAM (Windows XP, primerily used for gaming)

I only have my laptop folding at the moment. I would have my other boxs doing the same but I'm swapping parts out now because of a mishap with my media server. My top priority right now is getting that up again. Once I move into my apartment this weekend, I'll get another box going.

Ha, awesome. I knew my predomination over the group would be quickly overturned having only one computer folding and all. Hm, maybe I should drag my parents computer into this battle? Or better yet, go out and buy a few used comps for dirt cheap and build a linux cluster supercomputer. :twisted:

I alredy have 70% (aprox) of my overall CPU run time doing this, the only other computers I could posably bring in to this is a 500MHz computer which is my web server, so I don't want to do that and my 600MHz PVR, but if I do that, watch TV on it would suck.

I have no dought that if metatron wanted to take part he would own us all in the face. He'd probably dedicate 3 Dule 3.0GHz Xeon (or there abouts) servers to it :P

One question though... dose any body know if there is such a thing as process prioritising under linux?

In windows you can change the priority of a server... dose this exsist in linux and how can I check what run time level the folder is running at?

I have no dought that if metatron wanted to take part he would own us all in the face. He'd probably dedicate 3 Dule 3.0GHz Xeon (or there abouts) servers to it :P

Wouldn't be more a war than that of maggots and men....Ugh, that's just scary, makes me drool in envy.

One question though... dose any body know if there is such a thing as process prioritising under linux?

In windows you can change the priority of a server... dose this exsist in linux and how can I check what run time level the folder is running at?

Good question, I've never run across anythigng like that before but I'll look around google for a while and see if there is anything out there (which there has to be - I can't see how there wouldn't).

I'm now part of the folding group-using a proxy to bypass university firewall, so looks like I don't have to wait untill next month to start folding proteins after all!

I also found out that I've taken a module in my theoretical chemistry course that covers this exact subject, when I looked into the project on the site. We use lower levels of theory as a comprimise for using higher levels of theory (more computer time but more realistic) on the bits we're most interested in, when using small groups of computers. All very interesting stuff.

I'm glad Famicoman mentioned this. I've taken such an interest that I'm now planning to build a 4-6 computer beowulf cluster to fold proteins faster. Won't be constructing it until next summer but what better time than now to learn how. Also, I still need to collect the computers and other necessary equipment :roll:.