Hak5

Destro

Hey everyone! This is my first day on my vacation and I realized today something very great. Once I woke up, the first thing I did was watch a couple episodes of Hak5. It made me think about how much hak5 has changed my life.

Well for startes I found hak5 by accident. I was on google searching some question about programming and a hak5 post showed up. That night I stayed up watching episodes and exploring the forums. So, first off I am wondering how you found hak5?

Hak5 has done a large amount for me. Firstly, I would probably not nearly further my knowledge of programming, etc... I showed an interest, but not enough to actualy go somewhere. Hak5 has actually changed my life a big amount and I would like to thank the hak5 team and everyone on the furoms.

Before I go (hope to continure writing about this, but can't right now because of time) I would like to tell a quick story about my school. Recently a kid was tellinga nother kid that he could pretty much hack anything. And there I was trying to tell him to stop, but then the kid said I am not the real expert, Jake (me) is. Right then and there I was called a nerd and other names. Then in spanish class (we have assigned computer) kids changed my background to hacker alert. It was exrtremely saddening and frusterating. But, good came out of it, it just made me want to get better and help the hacker community.

So I would like to know how you found hak5 and has it done anything for you?

cheers,

Destro

Well i found hak5 by looking for things to do with USB (curious)

It has changed my life 100% as i was going down the wrong road, hak5 has 'matured' my view on 'hacking/security', dont get me wrong im glad i learnt the ways to gain access to certain things but what i am saying is hak5 has put me back on track to the whole 'modding' things which where my real passion lays.

Without hak5 i could well be on the slippery slope to a dark horrible place.

This truly comes from the heart when i say thank you hak5 and also for a walm welcome to the community;)

Enough of the sloppy shit :P

That great to hear (read). I know exactly what you mean. Just a year ago I was created virus's and worms for people that had picked on me. I found I was becoming extremely dark and mean. It completely turned my life around and has inspired me to be in the IT field (in general don't know specifically yet).

cheers and thanks for the fast response,

Destro

p.s. Thanks for the welcome also!

no way, ild never tell them what i was doing but now i can openly tell people what im doing as im not scum on the internet, as i read somewhere about changing names to get away from n00b questions (im sure it was here i read it) well messsy goes well back to the days i studdied mobile phones (long time ago), if only i was learning this, Hmmm i wonder where i would be now....

anyway i practicly live here in the miserable hope that all these haks will come clear as day to me, lmao

more input more gain (i think thats what they say)

That is good your kept it secret. It's the worst whn people like the guy who hacked mikey cyrus myspace brag about it. When you stuied mobile phones I take it that you were not organized or is there more to your name. For my name, I used to watch a lot of tv and searched the top cartoon character names and destro came up with a pic of a guy with a unibrow. Me and my bro have a joke about them so I picked that.

cheers,

Destro

P.s. I hope more people get involved in this thread.

yeah its nice to have an off topicish subject..

umm,, messsy sort of came from school days but was mentioned to me on the net in the old days so bit of both, you'll probably notice im a bit sketchy when im writing, sort of go in my own world when i type :)

messy username was gone so i decided three S's was apropriate :)

Back to one of your original points about first thing in the morning you will log onto hak5, well its the same for me, im always logged in and browsing, im just trying to figure out the project i want to go for

I know exactly what you mean. I love watching old episodes and seeing how much things have changed. The first thing I do when I come home from school is go on hak5. Do you think I am one of the youngest people on hak5. I have noticed there are some older people on here, which is great to have a range of age.

I don't think your sketchy. Everyone has their own way of writing and expressing yourself!

cheers,

Destro

Well I found hak5 when it came to Revision3 like my profile says...

Little did I know i'd spend a good couple of days watching every episode :) I like hak5 because it is a video podcast where most of the time with the good IT sec podcasts out there all you get is audio and you lose track of what thier talking about quite easily while you're trying to multitask.

I got into it years ago in a drunken download session with a flatmate and an illegal cable internet hookup, i was studying fine art at the time. We'd run out of things to pirate and started downloaded random things that for some reason were actually free. Scroll down a few years and I work with EMC systems and ESX in a global telecoms firm.

Hak.5 was found by putting "hack" into itunes, downloading a fair few eps, i have been watching since season 2, but only recently joined the forums after my old hacking clan closed down, and i realised "dude they have a forum".

Found it by accident when googling and downloaded the latest ep which was 1x03. Immediately went back and grabbed the first too, so I've been watching a while. I lurked on the forums for ages but didnt join because my forum joining addiction was way out of hand. Joined and then was away for a while, forgot my user name and passwod so created another account.

Watching hak5 evolve has been interesting, and I nearly walked away forever after season 3. Thankfully Season 4 started to turn around a bit and season 5 is better. Sadly, I think the first season will always remain the best, but will keep downloading the eps and putting them on my home server. I really miss some of the ex show members, but i dont hold that against the current crew. The past is the past and whilst sploitcast has gone by the wayside, unpersons is an awesome podcast, and I reccomend everyone goive it a listen. Also grabbed an ep of securabit to listen to today at work.

Hak5 has done alot for iptv and that cannot be ignored. the forums fluctuate between good and at times really crap but hey, so does the rest of the world.

Hack the planet.

I got into it years ago in a drunken download session with a flatmate and an illegal cable internet hookup, i was studying fine art at the time. We'd run out of things to pirate and started downloaded random things that for some reason were actually free. Scroll down a few years and I work with EMC systems and ESX in a global telecoms firm.

That a heel of a story VaKo LOL.

Thanks for all the posts and comments! I am also wondering if hak5 has done anything for you?

cheers,

Destro

p.s. Of any of the crew reads this subject I would love to read your comments and thoughts also. Hak5 can also change the life of the makers also!

I can't say I found it by accident, but I definitely wasn't looking. I was just glancing through the downloadable content on my TiVo, and came across it. Which means I started watching in season 4. After a few episodes I was hooked, and went back to watch all the past ones.

As for how it's changed my life? For one it got me to learn the basics of PHP, which then got me on the show. :D Also, I've recently rediscovered the joy of electronics and circuit design. Took basic classes in high school, but after that just managed to fall out of it for a while. I forgot how much I liked the smell of hot solder rosin, and the giddy satisfaction of seeing a once dark piece of plastic and metal light up as a bright happy LED.

Also, living as close to the crew as I do, it's brought me a great group of people that I'm very glad to know. Not to mention getting to meet a bunch of cool people like FreezerBurn, mubix, and then that jerk squeegi. Man he sucks. *grin*

Well, I would have to say cheers to destro and messy for the great turn around.

For me hak5 has definitely changed my life as well, and also my learning acceleration on technology in general.

I found hak5 after I got so sick and tired of Diggnation changing to the crap that it is now, so I was searching around miro for linux shows and I happened to come across a show from late season 3. After watching the first one I was hooked. After about a month or so of watching, I found the forums and it was all there ever since. When I first watched hak5, I knew nothing of hacking, other than someone can do it. Now I know much much much more than I did but still do not have a clear grasp of it. I have a fon (owned for about 2 weeks now) have yet to get it all working through my laptop, but I keep on hacking at it (pun intended :P) and sooner or later i'll have it working, and at the same time I am learning about so many other things..

It really reminds me of call for help (the original with leo and kate) and how it was so helpful to me when I first started learning hardcore about computers. It seemed like either every ep. had something on it that I really needed to know right then or if not, something totally different that I never knew existed and was totally exciting to me. This is how hak5 feels to me now. It's so wonderful to have found this, and this is my primary place of surfing.

Right now I am excellarating very fast in my ccna classes and my mcse classes mainly because of how this show makes me feel. So in short, THANK YOU VERY MUCH HAK5 Krew!

Thanks h3%5kr3w for the cheers. Also jfranklin (I checked out your website after the show u were on and it was very good) for the reply also.

@h3%5kr3w I can't exactly relate to watching other shows because I am only 14, but I can see what you mean. How some shows start out great but then suck.

@jfranklin I remeber watching your episode and you talking about the drive that made you learn php that night. I am pretty sure it took you 5 hours. Did you learn almost fluent now or have you not been playing with it as much?

Thanks for all the replys everyone.

cheers,

Destro

Hmmm, nice topic. I actually found out about hak5 by accident. I was watching PurePwnage at the time and saw a link leading to the early version of this site. It was the begining of season 2 when i started watching 2x02 if I remember correctly.

As for changing my life... Well, I wouldn't actually say that hak5 changed my views and beliefs as far as hacking, modding and coding goes :)

However, hak5 did change my life in the aspect of information/source finding, and help from the community, and for that I'm forever gratefull :)

Hi, I'm Ethan Hunt, and I'm a hak5holic.

I first was sent over to Hak5 because I was playing around with the idea of doing a tech show on the local community-access channel. This was back in the brick wall days. Kinda forgot about it.

Fast forward to late last year, and I won a Bank of America USB flash drive in a contest. It came with some annoying autorun stuff that couldn't be removed with a standard reformat. A little googling later, and I found a thread on the forums about not only removing it, but also using tools to customize the nifty little chip that made it possible.

Thanks, hak5. Now I watch the show because I think a web-controlled RC car with a camera is awesome, and I've always wanted to build one. Hardware haks all the way!

First off thanks for everyone replying.

@ethan your past part was like the wow commercial- Im Mr.T and I am a mowhawk warrior. I'm ethan hunt and i'm a hak5holic! Also that really cool that you have seen the furoms grow for so long. I I believe we are into the 5th season episode 5. So you been around 3 years. Has a lot changed. I have only watched a couple of the early episodes.

@wire did you ever get around to making a hometown tech channel. It seems your the top tech guy of where you live because your winning things from banks. Was it a competition.

cheers,

Destro

P.s. Sorry I cant write a lot. I am on my phone.