What is the best gaming PC?

Bourvi

Ok I've been looking at a gaming computer for a long time and each time i was asking the question "should i get it custom built or buy it as a gamers PC ?" the answers goes on both side so now im asking you.

Which is the best PC or custom?

custom is always better

when you get a pre built system the bulk of the money put into the system are not on the parts that really matter

most $1000 gaming pcs don't even allow you to select a decent videocard unless you go their their $1500-2000 model that just has a nicer case and a slightly faster CPU then they let you pick a good video card

the system i posted a while back in one of your other threads would have required you to spend almost $2000 just to have access to those parts if you were going prebuilt

custom built systems allow you buy the parts that matter to your performance and not waste it on other crap

when you buy a prebuilt gaming pc, generally $500+ of the price goes to workmanship of putting the system together, your just wasting a lot of money.

head to a gaming pc website, pick a expensive system from then then using parts from newegg, put together a system with the same specs, you will see that it is generally $500-800 cheaper

It depends, if you can't be arsed to actually put the thing together yourself then you can always find someone to build it to spec. Its not like its hard to built a PC yourself (its easier than lego), but sometimes its worth spending a little extra and getting your custom PC delivered ready to run. Lots of places do barebones machines (mobo, case, cpu, psu and ram) so its worth just talking to a potential supplier and saying "I want this, pre-built, how much?". And in all fairness, an i7 Dell isn't much more than a white label machine of the same spec.

Although not custom one of the hosts of a podcast I listen to always raves about this place - http://www.doghousesystems.com/

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty I'd recommend making one yourself, it isn't as hard as it may seem as y ou'll find your motherboard manual will explain a lot of the hardware instalation procedures. It will help you save quite a bit of money as like Razor512 said you will pay the builders of the computer quite a hefty sum for it.

Well, if you have the skills to build it yourself, then that's always cheaper. You have to be able to select the best components, and you have to know how to assemble them. There's also a high failure rate of performance hardware, will you be able to isolate a faulty component and replace it?

• 1 year later...

By far I prefer PC for gaming, such more advantages then Consoles. Take playing a shooter game with the mouse you can just whip it around, but the Xbox or PS3 you would have to use the slow analog and I know you can make it quicker but its still not as fast as PC.

• 1 month later...
Ok I've been looking at a gaming computer for a long time and each time i was asking the question "should i get it custom built or buy it as a gamers PC ?" the answers goes on both side so now im asking you.

Which is the best PC or custom?

I would agree, custom is the way to go. this seems to be the way to get the most for your money.

plus, its hard to ask anybody on brands because one persons gold standard is anothers garbage. Plus, you are really paying alot for what amounts to a name brand.

Not saying that some of them do not offer good product, but the two factors i take into account are cost and the freedom to purchase and install your prefered components. plus its too much damn fun to build your own

Custom easy....

I personally don't play too many games but I have a system that could easily play any game on the market today at max settings... only bottle neck is my ram (my ram money went to an extra 1TB drive)

• 2 weeks later...
Although not custom one of the hosts of a podcast I listen to always raves about this place - http://www.doghousesystems.com/

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty I'd recommend making one yourself, it isn't as hard as it may seem as y ou'll find your motherboard manual will explain a lot of the hardware instalation procedures. It will help you save quite a bit of money as like Razor512 said you will pay the builders of the computer quite a hefty sum for it.

Just for shits i wanted to see what that websites best computer would add up to on new egg down to the case and power supply

Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price

1 Thermaltake Armor+MX VH8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

$129.99

2 Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

$139.98

($69.99 each)

2 EVGA 015-P3-1489-AR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

$1,299.98

($649.99 each)

1 CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

$229.99

1 Kingston HyperX 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model KHX1333C7D3K3/6GX

$167.99

1 ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

$229.99

1 Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7980X

$999.99

Subtotal: $3,197.91

That is the same computer that doghouse charges $4,395 for

so your paying them $1,100 to put everything together for you and perhaps tweak a setting or two.

Now keep in mind there are a few things i would really change on this. 2 500gb drives? eh i would go with at least a 1 TB hard drive and a SSD, Better memory was only about $20 more there where also better motherboards on there for i think $50-$100 more. Last but not least i would use a non integrated sound card. i HATE onboard sound.

so there you have it the amount of money that people make off of you when you buy a off the shelf computer. even the high end ones will use sub par components as well because they save $20 or so.

According to me, Custom is really very good for you. I think that It is depends on the game which you want to play on it. I have seen that There are so many game which require high configuration for it. I just want to say that You will only build it with new rams which is depends on your game as well as hard-drive also.

• 5 weeks later...

If you have to ask, you probably want to buy a built machine. Otherwise I'd say start reading now so that when you buy the parts, you are mixing and matching technology properly. CPU, memory, chipsets, they all have a shit ton of details. If you want help picking parts, PM me with a price range, I'll throw together your best value for your dollar.

resources:

tomshardware

anandtech

cpu magazine

pc gamer magazine

cpubenchmark.net

google

this place.

Edited by thecircusb0y

its best by far to build your own. but you have to learn how. and i will tell you how to learn how and that will be how. so this is how:

watch these videos, its a series, this is the first, in the description it should link to the next one:

then, go and grab a old desktop, open it up, and take it apart, dig in, probably one that would be cool to have working again but that isnt needed. like that old dell desktop in your garage..... :-) anyway, unhook things, explore, learn by doing take parts out, identify them and what not. thats what i did, i ruined the first cpu that way, good thing i had a second computer.

anyway, the videos will teach you to match up parts and identify them, taking one apart gives you hands on experience.

thats how i did what i just taught you how to do. so now you should know how.

• 3 weeks later...
It depends, if you can't be arsed to actually put the thing together yourself

omg thats half the fun :)

go i7 and plenty of ram + min 1gb graphics card << would be enough for most games ;) anything else is a bonus ... and spend some cash on the psu ;)