WiFi Pineapple battery

Darren Kitchen

Fon battery pack: http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9903

I can vouch that it works well. I took it to Toorcon over the weekend and it ran fine. I did notice however that when the batteries get somewhere below 50% power or so the Fon will light up the power LED but not quite boot. Fresh batteries do the trick. Rechargeables ftw.

The black & decker pocket power with ac/dc converter is a less than efficient power solution but it does seem to power the device for much longer. supposedly it'll run off USB 5v so that might be an option with the pocket power. I'll do some tests on radio power on various power methods later.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

supposedly it'll run off USB 5v so that might be an option with the pocket power. I'll do some tests on radio power on various power methods later.

Ah thats interesting Darren. I dont have my FON yet, does it come with a USB lead or something then. I have an external battery pack that can power USB devices so it might be just the ticket.

Just semi answered my own questions, the USB power solution is a hack job.

I am not to keen on cutting the original power lead, surely a Radio Shack type place sells the AC connector?

Oh I did het HACK job... couldn't do anything with the power supply..hence it was a UK power plug...good riddens;

it works perfectly on an USB port of an old laptop... using Freewlan FON firmware I could then use the browser on the old laptop to find unprotected wifi and connect the fon to them and surf the net by connecting the laptop's network port to the la fonera (and powering it up with my laptop's usb power :-)

So I didn't have to buy an Usb Wifi dongle.... i was even able to "share" my Fon Wifi and get money for it...

So find "unprotected wifi" in a bar... and offer it to the public there... (for a small fee :-)

although just like 3,5inch harddisks one advises to use 2 usb ports to spread the load... hence the fonera COULD take more than 500mA of juice and thus fry your usb port!

Those usb battery packs only give +- 300-350mA which is not sufficent...

(checking Philips models...)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to inform, all do it have taken some time for a reaction from Fonera they steaded the following in a email.

Thanks for letting me know. That era is over, Nicolas left the company a while ago. This kind of misunderstanding should not happen anymore. We are of course always willing to help the communities, but not this kind of black hat hackers. Let me repeat this: we do not support these pirates with bad intentions.

Cheers,

Anthony

And this is the following statement from Fonera

I see that there are still many people receiving confusing emails about hack5 and their illegal hacking activities with Foneras and other devices. I just wanted to let you know that I went to the forum a few weeks ago when the thing was hot and posted the official version of what FON is against and in favor of but never got it published, I don´t know the reason why because it was not offensive at all, here the text:

"This is Jordi Vallejo, CTO at FON. We support several Open Source

Communities like OpenWRT and many others but we are totally against

software developed to gain information or credentials from third

parties. We are also totally against softwares to create "man in the

middle" type of attacks not only on routers, but also on PCs or any

other hardware with network interface. The actual software used for

"man in the middle" attacks can be run into any hardware with network

support and that includes notebooks, routers, mobile devices with

wifi, ethernet switches, etc... Again we are against the use of this

type of softwares no matter in which hardware are they run on, ours or third parties. We

still support Open Source Communities because they have created some

of the most stable and high performance software solutions used today

by both individuals and corporations. Also support O.S. just because many of the FON employees we have

been involved on several of those initiatives with great passion and enthusiasm.

Jordi - FON"

The email showed on the forum by a FON employee is talking about hacking on mesh and lets not forget that hacking is not bad by nature, we are talking about hacking not cracking. We all know that some of the best hackers are working in Oracle, Red Hat, Microsoft, you name it. But what I have to agree with is that it was not the smartest thing in the world to send a bunch of Foneras and Fontennas to a group known for promoting illegal behaviors among hackers. I hope is a bit more clear now on where we stand on this issue.

Regards,

Jordi

So Fonera made it clear they do not support this segment of hak.5

Let that be note it.

Gerard

There is both a legitimate and black hat angle for the use of the device, and your own ethics should guide you in making responsible decisions with the knowledge gained from the segment done on the Jasegar. It doesn't matter who said what or what they are for or against, as your own values must guide you in how it is used.

The people at Fon may not support the idea behind what the Fonera has been modded to do, but for them to make such a remark to consider Hak5 as pirates only shows the sideways slanted view you get from people when innovation, genuine hacking, imagination and art come together in a form that they don't understand.

At least people will now know that when they go to connect to a wireless access point, they should think about what might be at the other end. Think about the implications it could have and how the current standards and safety of the WiFi community are at stake, and maybe it will lead to better technology down the road. Maybe it will have them come up with a new protocol or set of tools to identify and protect against something like this. But without hackers, they can't innovate or come up with things they don't know they have a need to protect against.

Without people like Hak5, security experts would be out of a job. Without hackers who push the envelope, we would all be living in glass houses, waiting for that stone to be thrown at our windows , bringing our whole world crashing down. Nothing new or innovative can be put in place if you have nothing to protect it against. Without the true ethical hackers out there in this world, we wouldn't have an Internet today. Period.

At least people will now know that when they go to connect to a wireless access point, they should think about what might be at the other end. Think about the implications it could have and how the current standards and safety of the WiFi community are at stake, and maybe it will lead to better technology down the road. Maybe it will have them come up with a new protocol or set of tools to identify and protect against something like this. But without hackers, they can't innovate or come up with things they don't know they have a need to protect against.

no the only thing that has been proven here is the fact that WiFi should NOT be used anymore but 3G is secure (hence it's not open)

I agree that this project makes "hidden ssid' and 'mac whitelisting' not serious...but imho they never were in the first place;

the first makes every pc "broadcast' your ssid; and the second...every modern wifi driver allows you to change your mac adres...

this was proven a long while ago...

if people want to use security...then they should just use a vpn client on their laptop with a certificate that connects thru the "alien" fonspot over the internet directly to your fonspot at home using SSH.... hence you're using a certificate should make it impossible to use man in the middle?

First of all, we're not pirates! Wait, on second thought we do fly the Jolly Roger...

2927134670_de5aeed6e0.jpg

In all seriousness though Fon doesn't have to support Jasager any more than Apple has to support a jail broken phone or Linksys has to support a DD-WRT'd router.

So lets clear some things up because obviously Fon's CTO hasn't seen the clear picture.

Our intentions are not bad and we're not black hat hackers.

There is nothing illegal about our "hacking activities with Foneras"

There is no reason why Jordi couldn't post his comment as long as he signed up for a Hak5 forum account.

Jasager is a very powerful tool for security auditors and as Digip has pointed out, without innovations like these we'll never have a safer network.

We are in fact NOT a "group known for promoting illegal behaviors among hackers". I take offense to that.

sorry if it wasnt for people who liked to test/break boundaries we would still be living in caves.

drop the whole ooh fonera dont support this we get the message.

if they did then great nice one for not being your standard we dont get it so we dont like it sheep. but hey ho it is going to continue no matter whats said by them or posted in this forum by users.

its all a mute point falling on deaf ears and is a waste of bandwidth time and effort

There is no reason why Jordi couldn't post his comment as long as he signed up for a Hak5 forum account.

Well just maybe he do not want to get associated with hak.5

Jasager is a very powerful tool for security auditors and as Digip has pointed out, without innovations like these we'll never have a safer network.

Darren you know just like I do thats a lot of crap.

We are in fact NOT a "group known for promoting illegal behaviors among hackers". I take offense to that.

MMmm in all of the first hak.5 episodes of this season (not on the last one episode) the intro is telling other wise.

This will be my last response to this topic for this time (just and only out of respect for Vako).

Gerard

WHOA! I suddenly got this CRAZY amount of deja vu when I went back a page or two and saw another one of your comments... HOLY CRAP

Yeh he could have atleast conversed the issue in an email.

Anyway, less offtopicness more battery discussions?

I'm still trying to procure one of these little critters, with the fon support being no help at all.

Guess they dont want my "hard earned" Aussie dollars.

Yeh he could have atleast conversed the issue in an email.

Anyway, less offtopicness more battery discussions?

I'm still trying to procure one of these little critters, with the fon support being no help at all.

Guess they dont want my "hard earned" Aussie dollars.

there is just no australian business partner interested in importing them and distributing them on the aussie market :-)

but check maps.fon.Com and go check the inactive ones... perhaps they want to give theirs to you?

I asked which country would be best importing one from too and gotten nothing but the link back to the shop in an email.

Nice support they got going there.

I actually live near the only two i can find on the map.

Both say they're off with no indication of last active dates, but its worth a try.

I asked which country would be best importing one from too and gotten nothing but the link back to the shop in an email.

Nice support they got going there.

I actually live near the only two i can find on the map.

Both say they're off with no indication of last active dates, but its worth a try.

story about someone that did it in Austin, Texas : http://elfonblog.fondoo.net/?p=120

retailers : http://retail.spread-fon.com/ (but it's fairly europe iniative this website)

For your part of the world it might be best to talk to the fonhk.com headquarters instead of those in Spain:

http://www.fonhk.com/

And so i got bannend?

Why for speaking up?

I mean thats so weak and childish!

Well Go with GOD he is the forgiving one, just not not so sure if iam.

Gerard

Well.. not exactly. You got banned, not bannend. I don't know what a bannend is, but I dont think it is the same thing as banned.

This is the hak5 forums. It's cool if you express your feelings towards something, but don't threaten us with FBI hate mail. Ok?