WiFi Pineapple battery

Darren Kitchen

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or you can google for it,

Its not that a big of a secret.

Personaly i just like to see that people just use the Fon routers for what there mend for and thats charing your internet connection, and if you are not content with the Fon router or rules just give your fon Router to someone thats willing to share its internet connection and will accept the fon rules.

Gerard

DeGrijze,

While I understand the methodology behind the Fon, you're still paying for the device.

At that point I feel I can do what I like with it.

We don't have the infrastructure here to offer free internet.

At the same time, there are a large number of people that actually work for La Fonera that support what we're doing with it, and encourage people to find all kinds of different uses for their devices, internet sharing or not, and in turn they sent us a fairly large shipment of devices so that we can do all kinds of things with them.

Matt

DeGrijze,

While I understand the methodology behind the Fon, you're still paying for the device.

At the same time, there are a large number of people that actually work for La Fonera that support what we're doing with it, and encourage people to find all kinds of different uses for their devices, internet sharing or not, and in turn they sent us a fairly large shipment of devices so that we can do all kinds of things with them.

Matt

The more hackable/modable, the more they will probably sell, so it works for them as well when their product gets more popular. I think it's great to hear what you guys are doing with it, as it's at the heart of what it means to hack. Not so much for pwnage of someone else, but for the shear drive to tinker and innovate, add new things that it wasn't meant to do, etc. it's one of the things that gets me excited to watch, so I can't wait to see what comes of it.

I have a crappy Buffalo router that was given to me, but I wonder what kind of tinkering can be done with it now. It's just fun to see what you can do with something it wasn't designed or intended to be used for. If people didn't tinker, we wouldn't have the computers we have today, or wireless internet to begine with. Someone has to innovate...

DeGrijze,

Well Matt, thats not quite so, because if your not able to support the "Fon Rules" you shoot not get a Fon router.....

Well i got good contacts with in the Fonera home office and community, so i will check this with Nicolas and Florian add the Fonera home office.

So i really hope that what you are telling is true if not so i will burn you with it add the stake.

Gerard

DeGrijze, feel free to contact whoever you like, all I know is that someone from Fon sent us 20 routers and 4 fontennas.

If I'm going to pay for something, and then in turn I own it, I can then do what I like with it. plain and simple.

Matt

20! I can see these things wired into some furbies, and they create their own La Fonera Furby cloud computing network, talking to each other and sharing packets at the same time. Teach them so say the words "I pwn you". :)

Sorta like the Fuby Gurdy, bot for botnets. http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2008/08/furby-...y-circuit-bend/

Well Matt, thats not quite so, because if your not able to support the "Fon Rules" you shoot not get a Fon router.....

Well i got good contacts with in the Fonera home office and community, so i will check this with Nicolas and Florian add the Fonera home office.

So i really hope that what you are telling is true if not so i will burn you with it add the stake.

Gerard

I'm going to have to agree with DeGrijze, and call BS on the Fon team wanting you to hack or use their device for anything other than it's intended purpose as if that were true they would have not change the new hardware trying to stop people modding it.

Buy a device from another vendor, if you don't like the rules.

hmmm potentially a sticky situation but if I buy something I will do with it as I like. I bet my bottom dollar all of us have used pirated software at some point or used our hardware for things not originally intended for. Owners choice and responsibility to deal with whatever consequences.

DeGrijze, feel free to contact whoever you like, all I know is that someone from Fon sent us 20 routers and 4 fontennas.

I will don't you worry.

If I'm going to pay for something, and then in turn I own it, I can then do what I like with it. plain and simple.

Like i mentioned not according to Fon.

Matt like they say down under, Pull my other leg it plays jingel bells

Telling that the Fon org: is supporting the Hak5 team to hack or use their device for anything other than it's attended purpose is BS

And you telling it so, just makes you full of it.

Sorry dude you just lost all the respect i got for you as a member of the hak5 team.

Gerard

Gerard,

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Anything else you would like to call us liars about?

Waiting on a conformation of the Fon head office on your story.

(and by the way picture's can be changed very easy)

Gerard

Those images were not changed, you can scour over them as much as you like.

They're right from Darren's inbox.

Now, the head of an office sounds alot to me like the "internal management" that this gentleman who helped us out by shipping us codes and free fons was talking about.

So, whether whoever it is you're talking to knows anything about it, riddle me this... if I am lying, what exactly are all of these doing in my house?

4.jpg

What is it with people having so much anger lately? Fear of the LHC bringing the world to an end? http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9753

DeGrijze, before filling a thread with accusations(I commend you for questioning it, but) I would have went to Fon first and then posted my results of the findings. Hope you don't end up looking silly in the end.

Also hope Matt was on the level, as of right now, I tend to think he has no reasons to lie about it.

It is called Hak5 for a reason. They Hack and Mod stuff to their liking, reagardless of what it was intended for. That is kind of the point.

I can see where both sides are coming from, i was as skeptical as DeGrijze when i started reading this thread. Most companies hate it when you start messing with their hardware/software.

But i think the emails and closet full of routers is sufficient evidence for me.

btw, will there be a coupon code on the FON router episode perhaps? I might hold off on getting one till then.

Can we buy your fons? You could autograph it, Hak5 it, and send it to me pl0x? How about $40 USD?

They are cheaper than that on their site: https://shop.fon.com/FonShop/shop/US/ShopCo....BillingCluster

Degrijze, why do you care how the Hak5 uses THEIR product, that they PAYED for. It is the true essence hacking, finding multiple uses for a device. If you buy a lawn mower, but then end up using the engine in it for a goat cart, is there anything wrong with that? No, it is your lawn mower, you can do what you want with it, despite the intentions of using it as a tool for cutting grass. Also, on this occasion why would Matt have any reason to lie? The Hak5 team doesn't need to justify hacking a device that they own, that is what the show is about, hacking. Don't you think that the FON team would view it as a great marketing opportunity. Think of how many people purchased FON's because of Hak 5. As long as more than 20 people bought FON's then FON wins and just made a profit for free publicity. In closing.. Don't Hate.

@ SmoothCriminal

The point is that FON is a community network and like any community network it stands or falls with the use of its community members.

Any one that gets a (cheap) Fon router is suppose to share its internet connection with the other Fon users/owners.

Bud when you are just getting a FON router because its cheap and its nice that you can use the internet connection of the Fon users/owners that are sharing there internet connection with out sharing it your self.

Thats wrong.

And the FON community is not happy with those people because there are the back stepping group that give the FON community a bad name and will get the Community to fall down instead of letting it grow.

The point is if your not willing or able to share your internet connection with other FON users/owners you shut not get your self a Fon router.

Gerard

(by the way i contacted the FON head office and they will get back to me)

Hi,

It's not because I buy a shotgun in the store that as an owner I'm now allowed to use it to hijack a bank using it.

or buy a crowbar to invade other people's home...

The La Fonera's were given to promote legal stuff like adding www.francofon.fr, www.freewlan.info, www.open-mesh.com (a meraki killer) using www.blogin.it 's Robin Firmware...surely not forgetting "Ponte2" which is used as a template for the Universal Repeater software in eg Dd-Wrt;

Others are making Java clients to keep an eye on connections on their La Fonera.

I made status.fonera.be to have a nice "iphone" like look on usage/activity/uptime of my La Fonera;

Currently working on improved maps.fon.com version...

Some have made an IVR with Asterisk with Text2speech to tell where the closest active fonspot is;

or install an asterisk on their La fonera...or Webserver so even if they don't have any "users" using their fonspot at least it's doing something usefull for the owner

One can use any laptop with backtrack cd to produce honeypots... eg there is allready a special version for the eeePC.

The La Fonera has also been used as a "portable WiFi JAMMER"... not certain if hackers are happy if someone would be using this to jamm your wifi signal, like some cinema's are jamming mobile phone signals... it's a bit like the Mosquito... a signal that only youngsters hear and dislike to make sure they don't hang out in jour neighbourhood... Source: http://fonerahacks.com/index.php/Tutorials...ess-Jammer.html

I'm unable to find any url towards this Jasager project (google didn't give one... nor is it mentioned in the Hak5 wiki/tutorial guide)

The main idea is people sharing their wifi on a secure way...

* Some have even added a TOR client to their La Fonera to make sure these visitors are really "anomized" so if they have a Bad Visitor the ISP can't trace it back to him. -> Nice Hacks!

Now that HaK5 has shown how to use a La Fonera for Illegal purposes it will give some people inside FON another reason on why they should "lock" the devices even better and remove redboot from serial/network once and for all as it seems an unlocked device only seems to get people NOT TO SHARE their wifi but use it to get people's VISA account...