What OS are your running on your eeepc laptop

DeGrijze

Next to the original OS of my "Eee PC 4G" i tried a lot of other Operating Systems (including Windows XP E).

And i must say off all the Operating Systems i treid my favorite OS is the Ubuntu EEE OS.

It runs real fine on my (still standard) "Eee PC 4G".

So i just wonder what is your fav: OS on your Eee3 PC?

Gerard

Until recently I was running Windows XP MCE 2005. I needed to reinstall and image the drive for easy recovery and reinstallation so I went with XP Pro (with SP3, non-sliptreamed). Both run absolutely perfectly on the eee and ~1/2 the 4GB SSD remains free.

I tried Ubuntu 8.04, it was alright, it worked, but I always found Linux to be quite redundant so I went back to my usual choice - Windows. The supplied Xandros-based distro didn't last long for me, it failed to connect to my wifi out of the box so it got the chop near immediately (despite claims that I'd give it a chance before mercilessly erasing it).

My Windows installations are standard and non-nLite'd.

I'd like to buy a UMPC such as the eee or the msi wind (probably the One A440 by the german company One) in a few weeks. I'm pretty sure the standard OS won't be enough, so I was asking myself: Would it make sense to use eeeXubuntu or Ubuntu EEE as they are already optimised for smaller screens, even if I don't use an eeepc? Or should I just go with the regular Ubuntu/XUbuntu?

What can a say, the Asus "Eee PC 2G, 4G and 8G" are cult machine's. (all others are just running a long on the succes of the Eee Pc's)

And on your question of eeebuntu and Ubuntu EEE, yes they are optimised for the smaller screens, but still have the power of the normal Ubuntu distro's

And i went for the Ubuntu EEE OS on my "Eee PC 4G" becouse the standard OS will not let me install wardrive program's and other network security programs.

Gerard

I have Windows XP SP3 slimlite.

And after trying: Xandros, BT3 & eeePC Ubuntu.

I have found it lasts the longest on Battery and uses the less space [2GB free even after needed applications which are Winrar, abiword, foxit reader, firefox, objectdock & gba emulator. Now I just need to install BT3 on a flash drive.

Here is a screenshot of my EeePc 4G

Like i say'd in the first posting iam running the Ubuntu EEE OS, with a view exstra program's like Amsn (with working webcam), Wifi-radar (for just a quick Wifi sweep/scan), Kismet (for a wifi sweep/scan with more just a bit more dept), Wireshark (for network analyzing).

eee.png

For good working you have to run WiFi radar, Kismet en Wireshark as Superuser or root.

And in the kismet.conf file you have to change the "source=none,none,addm" line in "source=madwifi_ag,wifi0,madwifi"

The "Airsnort" program is so far the only thing i good not get installed and running under the Ubuntu EEE os (just have to take the time to look in to this, for getting "Airsnort" also installed and running).

Gerard

I like the carkit, how did you make it?

The mound is made from parts of a (broken) child desk chair, and the top tray is made from a hardtop mouse mat with a build in 4 ports usb hub.

The 4 ports hub i connects my USB GPS mouse (the blue ball in front of the windscreen in the pictures 3 and 4).

Eeepc-carkit-2-e.jpg

Gerard

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running BackTrack3 on SDHC, and the default Xandros with unionfs removed on the SSD.

I actually started to use Xandros more now unionfs is removed -- this enables you to actually remove Mr.Potatohead and the other "apps" I don't need. Updating packages means they get overwritten properly, instead of having two copies on the SSD like in the original situation. (Old one on the read-only part, updated one on the writable user directory).

I find that I can run the security tools I use most without problems. In fact, everything I use from BackTrack3 does also work on Xandros (though not always the latest version).

the default Xandros with unionfs removed on the SSD.

I actually started to use Xandros more now unionfs is removed -- this enables you to actually remove Mr.Potatohead and the other "apps" I don't need.

Got it done this way?

I know Xandros works but i like my Linux realy GNU based and Ubuntu is so far as i know realy a GNU/Linux system.

Gerard

Got it done this way?

I know Xandros works but i like my Linux realy GNU based and Ubuntu is so far as i know realy a GNU/Linux system.

Gerard

Actually I got it done this way: http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=65383#p65383 , using the script. Basically it just automates what's in the wiki.

The reason I stuck with Xandros is that I have no real preference for any other linux distro. I just want something that takes maximum advantage of the hardware it runs on. So far, most other distros have at least some little anoying incompatibility issues. I have been keeping a close eye on DebianEeePC though, and once that gets properly fine-tuned to work on the Eee, I'll try that too.

Yep of course, come on pull my other leg it plays jingelbells.

Gerard

I don't quite see what you mean. I'm also running an unmodified full install of Windows XP SP3 on my 4G 701. Works without a problem and there's still plenty of space left on the SSD for VLC, Firefox, etc. Pretty snappy, too.

I don't quite see what you mean. I'm also running an unmodified full install of Windows XP SP3 on my 4G 701. Works without a problem and there's still plenty of space left on the SSD for VLC, Firefox, etc. Pretty snappy, too.

Well so far as i know you add least need XP with SP1 to get SP3 installed.

Xp with out SP1 will not let you install SP3 (add least thats what my pall ho is working by Microsoft tell's me)

Do you understand my reaction now better?

Gerard